LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Telling hotels about your bedwetting

Telling hotels about your bedwetting  

131 members have voted

1. 1. When you're travelling, do you contact the hotel in advance to warn them? Do you call them, or send an email? How do you word it?

• I don't contact them about my bedwetting
    • I check to see if the bed is protected after checking in, and if it's not I'll call housekeeping and ask
    • I send an email requesting a protected bed before check-in
    • I call the hotel to request a protected bed before check-in
    • It's in my frequent traveller profile for the hotel so I don't need to contact them directly
    • I never stay at hotels
  2. 2. What do you bring to a hotel?

• Cloth diapers
    • Disposable diapers
    • Plastic pants
    • Bed pad
    • Other
    • Nothing

My opinion.  Yes, it may be courtesy to tell a hotel that you may need bed protection, but I don't see why that is necessary myself, other than some people getting a bit of a rush telling hotel staff that they wear diapers or wet the bed.  I've read in this thread that most people will manage this themselves with their quality diapers, waterproof pants and waterproof bed pads.  GOOD FOR THEM!  It seems in these days many people expect others to do things for them that they should be doing themselves.  I do know that when on a vacation and staying at a hotel you expect some courtesy like maid service, complimentary breakfast, coffee maker, soap and shampoo and hair blower in your room.  That's why you go on vacation so you can get away from those daily chores and have someone wait on you and spoil you so you can enjoy yourself.  You should not be expected to make your own beds, etc.  That's what you are paying the hotel for.  While some top end resorts may accommodate you with a waterproof sheet on your mattress, my feeling is that is going over their normal hospitality, even if it is in their benefit to keep their mattress from being ruined.  Courtesy goes both ways and if you know you wet in your sleep, do what you would when in your own home.  Wear proper protection even if it means at a hotel you need plastic pants over your diaper and sleeping on disposable bed pads in order to protect the hotel bedding.  That is taking responsibility for your own issues.  I liken it to two things.  A person owns a home and takes great care of it because it's his equity.  A person rents a home and doesn't care what he does to the floors, carpet, cupboards and walls.  It's not his house, he's just renting.  Likewise the kids on spring break who trash a hotel room, pour beer on the carpets and down the back of the TV (not as easy now with flat screen TV's.)  There are the two mindsets in this case.  The one who says, "I wet the bed and will be in a hotel (or relative's house) so I best make sure ahead of time that my diapers do the job, but I'll also take extra precautions with waterproof pants and a disposable bed pad just in case".  Then there is the one who says, "I'll wear my diapers like normal but notify the hotel that I wet the bed and expect them to take steps to protect their mattress just in case I leak".  That may be saying it harshly as I know people who notify hotels ahead of time may be doing it mostly as a courtesy, but my point is, if you are responsible for your own bedwetting, you are responsible enough to make sure that nothing will get through your diaper, plastic pants and waterproof bed pad to reach the sheets and mattress.  If people do that, then there is no need to notify the hotel they wet the bed and need a mattress protector.

2 hours ago, rusty pins said:

My opinion.  Yes, it may be courtesy to tell a hotel that you may need bed protection, but I don't see why that is necessary myself, other than some people getting a bit of a rush telling hotel staff that they wear diapers or wet the bed.  I've read in this thread that most people will manage this themselves with their quality diapers, waterproof pants and waterproof bed pads.  GOOD FOR THEM!  It seems in these days many people expect others to do things for them that they should be doing themselves.  I do know that when on a vacation and staying at a hotel you expect some courtesy like maid service, complimentary breakfast, coffee maker, soap and shampoo and hair blower in your room.  That's why you go on vacation so you can get away from those daily chores and have someone wait on you and spoil you so you can enjoy yourself.  You should not be expected to make your own beds, etc.  That's what you are paying the hotel for.  While some top end resorts may accommodate you with a waterproof sheet on your mattress, my feeling is that is going over their normal hospitality, even if it is in their benefit to keep their mattress from being ruined.  Courtesy goes both ways and if you know you wet in your sleep, do what you would when in your own home.  Wear proper protection even if it means at a hotel you need plastic pants over your diaper and sleeping on disposable bed pads in order to protect the hotel bedding.  That is taking responsibility for your own issues.  I liken it to two things.  A person owns a home and takes great care of it because it's his equity.  A person rents a home and doesn't care what he does to the floors, carpet, cupboards and walls.  It's not his house, he's just renting.  Likewise the kids on spring break who trash a hotel room, pour beer on the carpets and down the back of the TV (not as easy now with flat screen TV's.)  There are the two mindsets in this case.  The one who says, "I wet the bed and will be in a hotel (or relative's house) so I best make sure ahead of time that my diapers do the job, but I'll also take extra precautions with waterproof pants and a disposable bed pad just in case".  Then there is the one who says, "I'll wear my diapers like normal but notify the hotel that I wet the bed and expect them to take steps to protect their mattress just in case I leak".  That may be saying it harshly as I know people who notify hotels ahead of time may be doing it mostly as a courtesy, but my point is, if you are responsible for your own bedwetting, you are responsible enough to make sure that nothing will get through your diaper, plastic pants and waterproof bed pad to reach the sheets and mattress.  If people do that, then there is no need to notify the hotel they wet the bed and need a mattress protector.

I agree 100% with your post. 

Last time I checked into a hotel, the bed had a quite crinkly mattress protector on it already.  I stay at this line of hotels often and wonder if there is something in my profile?  Regardless, I am always thickly diapered with plastic pants for extra protection.

When I worked, I did stay at motels for the last few yrs . I was a contracted repair and installation so my work was not always in the same town, I worked at one location for over 2 yrs. I found that a twin air mattress solved all my issues Plus I love to sleep on the plastic,, I would just use my plastic side up of any air mattress and it was waterproof and with diapers, and use one of there towels for my leaks, worked out Great. I would just tell them not to change the bed. I would just cover the bed, with the bedspread I never had any issues. The maid saw my diapers on a few occasions I forgot to put things up. 

But the air mattress was also better on my back. so it solved several issues.

I used the clothing bags they provide to bag up my dirty diapers every morning and toss them in one of the outside trash cans.

• Thanks 1

I don't sleep in hotels much, but all the times I have been, there has been some kind of protection on the bed
People spill all kinds of liquids on the bed and the hotels wants to protect their mattresses from everything 

Most of these are water resistant or soakers, and most likely wouldn't handle a full bladder 

• 9 months later...
On 5/9/2020 at 4:33 PM, Luvs24 said:

Then there is the one who says, "I'll wear my diapers like normal but notify the hotel that I wet the bed and expect them to take steps to protect their mattress just in case I leak".  That may be saying it harshly as I know people who notify hotels ahead of time may be doing it mostly as a courtesy, but my point is, if you are responsible for your own bedwetting, you are responsible enough to make sure that nothing will get through your diaper, plastic pants and waterproof bed pad to reach the sheets and mattress.  If people do that, then there is no need to notify the hotel they wet the bed and need a mattress protector.

Sorry - but I 100% disagree here. The question is what is a reasonable effort. When I use a diaper and a bed pad then I have done my part of the story. I'm not willing to travel with different mattress protectors for different mattrares to be on the save side just in case. I'm telling them in advance that I'm incontinent and ask for a bigger bathroom trashcan. It's up to them to tell me if they have problems with it - and if this is the case I will find an alternative fast - but this was never the case. 

This have nothing to do with respect but a lot with the service where I pay for. The comparison with people who deliberately ruin a hotel room is absolutely inappropriate here.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2018 at 5:34 PM, justforfun said:

I travel quite a bit for work, both domestic and international.  Bedwetting is something of an annoyance at these times.

I will sometimes send an email to guest services at the hotel in advance to request a protected bed... I just mention that someone in the party would benefit from a protected bed at night.  It's also in my 'Special Requests' profile at the larger chains.  Occasionally it will be mentioned when I check in... "Your special request has been accommodated, sir", is a pretty common response.

I bring disposable diapers, but I also carry some plastic pants and pins that I can use with a towel in an emergency.  I also carry a bed pad, if I have room in my suitcase.

How do others handle this?

I've been doing this since 1978, my ex-wife taught me that, we were both bedwetters and always wore diapers during the day too when we were out!
Best regards from Germany from SAM
On 2/23/2021 at 11:37 AM, mick_dl said:

Sorry - but I 100% disagree here. The question is what is a reasonable effort. When I use a diaper and a bed pad then I have done my part of the story. I'm not willing to travel with different mattress protectors for different mattrares to be on the save side just in case. I'm telling them in advance that I'm incontinent and ask for a bigger bathroom trashcan. It's up to them to tell me if they have problems with it - and if this is the case I will find an alternative fast - but this was never the case. 

This have nothing to do with respect but a lot with the service where I pay for. The comparison with people who deliberately ruin a hotel room is absolutely inappropriate here.

Hier kann ich nur zu 100% zustimmen, ich halte es ebenso ! Ich trage wie immer Nachtwindeln mit einer Gummihose, mehr kann ich unterwegs nicht tun, das Hotelbett (nicht nur vor Bettnässern) zu schützen ist eine selbstverständliche Hygienemaßnahme, nicht aber meine Sache.

Here I can only agree 100%, I think so too ! As always, I wear night diapers with rubber pants, that's all I can do, protecting the hotel bed (not just from bed-wetting) is a natural hygiene measure, but not my business.
  • Like 1

When I travel I always ask for a waterproof/plastic mattress protector. One hotel has it on file now and when I stay I always have a waterproof mattress protector. I always check the bed when I arrive. I ware disposables and plastic pants.

• 5 months later...

way back in college, a bunch of us were together drinking and someone decided it would be a great idea to do prank calls. remind you, this was way back before caller ID was widespread and standard, so we were good in that sense. anyway, one of the calls was to a local hotel asking if they would be ok with someone with anal leakage. the guy on the other end seemed just fine with it, said they would easily accommodate and take precautions, and basically came off to me that this wasn't their first inquiry with the topic. then the call took the prank turn, and they hung up first lol i like to think the hotel guy got a chuckle out of it lol

....yea, we were dumb kids lol 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody got a hotel recommendation for London where they asked in advance and they could accommodate bedwetting? Some kind of list of hotels that people have had positive responses from would be so useful, it must get asked quite a lot.

I will of course take my own diapers but a plastic sheet to be safe is a great precaution. I've personally had 50/50 success rates in the past when emailing hotels in advance. 

I've never thought of checking in with a hotel or letting them know about something like that in advance. I just wear a diaper to bed, and it generally does what it's supposed to do. I suppose it could leak, but someone who doesn't normally wet the bed could also have an accident after a night of drinking, and their response would be, I'd imagine, the same. They must have a protocol for it. I suppose if you were backed into a corner, you could set the mattress on fire and then say you fell asleep with a cigarette, and pay the fee for smoking in the room... you could then explain that you threw water on the mattress to put out the fire....

I suspect like nurses and physicians, hotel staff are used to bed wetting and to tell them in advance should not be a problem. I don't think it is necessary though, and I have never told hotel staff about my bedwetting, although in all honesty, I wet on purpose while awake. I just make sure I have on a good diaper, and I often put a hotel wash cloth in the diaper as a booster for added absorbency and security.  I just rinse out the wet wash cloth in the morning. I have never had a problem with leaking on a hotel bed. I dispose of my wet diaper outside of my room, either in a trash receptacle that is usually located near the ice machine on a floor, or I put the wet diaper in my brief case or some sort of tote bag when I leave my room and dispose of it in a trash can outside of the hotel. I might recommend packing a bunch of plastic grocery bags to wrap up the wet diaper, and most certainly a messy diaper.

7 hours ago, blob said:

Has anybody got a hotel recommendation for London where they asked in advance and they could accommodate bedwetting? Some kind of list of hotels that people have had positive responses from would be so useful, it must get asked quite a lot.

I will of course take my own diapers but a plastic sheet to be safe is a great precaution. I've personally had 50/50 success rates in the past when emailing hotels in advance. 

Yep. I've stayed here a few times; https://www.melia.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/london/me-london/index.htm - I have asked in advance and they are happy to offer extra mattress protection. 

• Like 1
On 11/6/2019 at 4:53 PM, rusty pins said:

My thoughts on the matter.  If you are a regular bedwetter, then over time I'm sure you have learned how to protect your bedding, either by finding the right combination of diapers to use that won't leak during your sleep, or plastic pants and a bed pad that will contain any possible leaks from getting the sheets and mattress wet.  If that is the case, then I see no need to inform the hotel that you wet the bed as you know what steps you already need take to prevent that from happening and you have everything covered (appropriate pun intended).

If, after all this time of sleep wetting you still have not found a proper product to keep your sheets and mattress dry, then it becomes an issue.  Some people like to sleep in a wet bed.  That's fine at home, but when you are sleeping in someone else's bed, you need to try and do whatever is necessary to prevent their sheets and mattress from getting wet.  Better premium diapers and/or thick waterproof pads to sleep on weather reusable or disposable.  If you know you will have an upcoming trip and your home bed does get wet from leaks, then well before you leave try different diapers, bedpads, plastic pants, boosters, whatever you need to do at home to keep your own bed dry and to prevent a hotel's bed from getting wet. 

Yes, some people take an attitude that it's just a hotel bed and not your own so who cares.  I've seen renters do the same thing to a home they rent.  They don't care if they spill ink or paint on the carpet, break the handles off the cupboard doors, put holes in the walls.  It's not their house and they don't care.  Not good if you have that attitude in a hotel room.  You can still take all the precautions to keep the bed dry and not have to rely on telling the hotel management that you wet the bed but wear diapers.  Is it really out of respect for the hotel staff, or is it because you see an opportunity to tell a stranger out of town that you wear diapers?

I can see the courtesy for the cleaning staff that may have to empty the trash cans with your (hopefully) bagged up used diapers, but the same applies.  If you properly bag your diapers well for the trash, it shouldn't be any problem.  It also shouldn't be an issue if you have to hang your plastic pants from the shower rod to dry in the morning.  That would not be an issue the cleaning staff has to worry about.  If you are responsible and do all you can to keep the bed dry, I see no reason to tell the hotel staff you wet the bed and wear diapers.  They might think to themselves, "Is he telling me I have to worry about our mattress and bed sheets?   Hasn't this guy learned to do anything at home to protect his own bedding night after night?"  My thoughts.

As I said above.  If you are a regular bedwetter you have learned how to keep your bedding at home dry each night.  If you haven't, now is the time to start to experiment with better diapers, waterproof pants and reusable/disposable bed pads or mattress protector before leaving on your trip so that you won't leak and wet the sheets or ruin a mattress.  I'd bet most people with incontinence don't make a habit of telling hotel personnel they wet the bed and need protection on the mattress.  Personally, and no offence to anyone, telling hotel personnel you wet the bed and need mattress protection is a bit akin to someone purposely wearing clothes that show they have diapers on or letting their diapers show so people can see them.  If you are really a responsible person, you will do all you need to in order to make sure their sheets and mattress do not get wet in the first place.

Pre-COVID, when I had a proper job with loads of corporate travel, I was still 24/7.

I never mentioned anything to any hotel (and I stayed in a LOT of hotels) but I also used high quality nappies and my highest quality insurance policy:  a pair of double-layer-terry lined plastic pants.  These would deal with almost any leaks.

I can only remember one occasion where I had an incredibly minor leak that made it to a sheet (after way too much alcohol).  It was only a tiny damp spot that housekeeping didn't even notice.  It had completely dried out by the next night but I had to dry my terry-lined-waterproofs with the hotel hair dryer!

I went to a LOT of trouble to bag and dispose of my used nappies personally although one or two venues I had no choice but to leave bagged nappies in the bathroom trash receptacle (which was often only large enough to accommodate one nappy anyway).

• 3 months later...

From the uk myself and go away in hotels 4-5 times a year. Personally never mentioned it when booking, however I do wear the most absorbent product I can get when staying away to save leaks. Only on once I did have a leak only on the top sheet which was changed and no questioned asked the next day. I said I spilt a drink but was pretty clear what had happened like others have said none of this would be new to them they just get on with it.  

• 7 months later...

Currently in a hotel room and both beds do have some type of water-resistant barrier under the fitted sheet.  I think this is standard with hotels now. 

Also, to touch on someone else comment; there is usually a plastic, disposable laundry bag in the hotel room's closet. I'll use that bag to dispose of any used products instead of the trash can in the room. 

• Like 1
On 9/4/2022 at 10:06 AM, PreferWet said:

Also, to touch on someone else comment; there is usually a plastic, disposable laundry bag in the hotel room's closet. I'll use that bag to dispose of any used products instead of the trash can in the room. 

I always pack 4 or 5 trash bags when I'm on trips and could easily pack more since they take up no room. Usually enough to accommodate dirty clothes and dispose of diapers and bed pads.

• Like 1
On 11/6/2019 at 4:53 PM, rusty pins said:

My thoughts on the matter.  If you are a regular bedwetter, then over time I'm sure you have learned how to protect your bedding, either by finding the right combination of diapers to use that won't leak during your sleep, or plastic pants and a bed pad that will contain any possible leaks from getting the sheets and mattress wet.  If that is the case, then I see no need to inform the hotel that you wet the bed as you know what steps you already need take to prevent that from happening and you have everything covered (appropriate pun intended).

If, after all this time of sleep wetting you still have not found a proper product to keep your sheets and mattress dry, then it becomes an issue.  Some people like to sleep in a wet bed.  That's fine at home, but when you are sleeping in someone else's bed, you need to try and do whatever is necessary to prevent their sheets and mattress from getting wet.  Better premium diapers and/or thick waterproof pads to sleep on weather reusable or disposable.  If you know you will have an upcoming trip and your home bed does get wet from leaks, then well before you leave try different diapers, bedpads, plastic pants, boosters, whatever you need to do at home to keep your own bed dry and to prevent a hotel's bed from getting wet. 

Yes, some people take an attitude that it's just a hotel bed and not your own so who cares.  I've seen renters do the same thing to a home they rent.  They don't care if they spill ink or paint on the carpet, break the handles off the cupboard doors, put holes in the walls.  It's not their house and they don't care.  Not good if you have that attitude in a hotel room.  You can still take all the precautions to keep the bed dry and not have to rely on telling the hotel management that you wet the bed but wear diapers.  Is it really out of respect for the hotel staff, or is it because you see an opportunity to tell a stranger out of town that you wear diapers?

I can see the courtesy for the cleaning staff that may have to empty the trash cans with your (hopefully) bagged up used diapers, but the same applies.  If you properly bag your diapers well for the trash, it shouldn't be any problem.  It also shouldn't be an issue if you have to hang your plastic pants from the shower rod to dry in the morning.  That would not be an issue the cleaning staff has to worry about.  If you are responsible and do all you can to keep the bed dry, I see no reason to tell the hotel staff you wet the bed and wear diapers.  They might think to themselves, "Is he telling me I have to worry about our mattress and bed sheets?   Hasn't this guy learned to do anything at home to protect his own bedding night after night?"  My thoughts.

On 9/23/2021 at 6:05 PM, rusty pins said:

As I said above.  If you are a regular bedwetter you have learned how to keep your bedding at home dry each night.  If you haven't, now is the time to start to experiment with better diapers, waterproof pants and reusable/disposable bed pads or mattress protector before leaving on your trip so that you won't leak and wet the sheets or ruin a mattress.  I'd bet most people with incontinence don't make a habit of telling hotel personnel they wet the bed and need protection on the mattress.  Personally, and no offence to anyone, telling hotel personnel you wet the bed and need mattress protection is a bit akin to someone purposely wearing clothes that show they have diapers on or letting their diapers show so people can see them.  If you are really a responsible person, you will do all you need to in order to make sure their sheets and mattress do not get wet in the first place.

On 5/9/2020 at 8:03 AM, rusty pins said:

I'm reposting my 3 comments going back as far as 2019.  You need to do all you can to protect a hotel's bedding and mattress from your sleep wetting.  Telling them ahead of time that you wet the bed and wear diapers is doing it to get your jollies by letting people know you wear diapers.  Accidents can happen, but won't if you do the decent thing and take all precautions including better quality diapers, booster pads, waterproof pants and disposable bed pads to insure the bedding and mattress won't get any leaks on them.  If you don't feel that way or care about other people's property, then I hope every guest and visitor to your home shits on your couch and pisses on your carpets. 

• Like 3

I agree with Rusty 100%   When I traveled a lot prior to retirement, I did take all the precautions mentioned and never had to tell a hotel ahead of time of my situation.  Granted many of the places I stayed at on a regular basis knew of me from earlier visits and may have prepared a bit differently but I didn't notice that.  As I mentioned in earlier posts, I would take a waterproof bed pad and place it under the spot I slept in, leave it in the unmade bed in the morning, and it was always placed in same spot in the made up bed when I returned the following evening.  With regard to wet diapers, I would always place them in a closed plastic bag in my bedroom trash with exception of any soiled diapers if that happened (very seldom) which I would take out of the room and typically deposit in an outside waste container.  Never once was my situation discussed with the hotel either at reservation, check in, or check out.  I was always treated as a valued regular customer that I was!

I always where ever we are staying IM IC and request a mattress protector we all so travel with disposable bed pads as a extra layer of protection some hotels like Disney accommodate but others simply don't care I would hate to see the mattress