LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Potty training age and accidents?

Dougie1970

What age were you actually potty trained? Did you still wet the bed or have accidents?

i was "potty trained" just before I turned four but continued to have both pee and poop accidents until I was at least 9 and wet the bed until I was 11.

Hi, recently this topic appeared in the Boy's Treehouse. Since I was a girl and now am a woman I did not want to intrude on that topic, yet I feel all kids received potty training and many had subsequent accidents, so this is hardly a subject only involving boys.

Personally I have no independent memory of my toilet training. However I do remember my two youngest siblings being toilet trained. Over the years I have asked my folks, grand parents and older siblings about my potty training.

My mother knew that she had significant bladder control problems. She suspected that sort of thing was hereditary in the female line of her relatives. Therefore Mom wanted to be sure her first child, my older sister Penny, was ready for gentle toilet training. When the pediatrician said Penny was ready, Mom switched Penny to cotton training pants circa 1962 when Penny was 30 months. After a couple of weeks Penny nearly always managed to use a potty without help. That was when Mom let Penny sleep in trainers.She rarely wet her bed after 33 months.

Everyone agrees my potty training was very similar to Penny's, day dry about 30 months and night dry at 33 months.

However, both of us had what today we call over-active bladders. So, for long car trips and events where finding a toilet would be a problem Mom nicely asked us to wear 'just-in-case' diapers. Sometimes I did wet when I could not hold out until the next toilet stop. Mom never scolded and simply gently changed the wet diapers. She never removed the waterproof sheets from our beds, and carried waterproof sheets when we stayed in motels or with friends. I never remember wetting a bed as a child.

Shortly after puberty I reverted to bedwetting, as had Penny. That was when I was taught to pin on my own diapers.

I had a lot of pants wetting accidents early on. One major one happened and I was actually punished with a diaper when I was five. I don't want to get too much into it because I've recounted it a few times online in various places.

I also had a problem with withholding. I would have a pooping accident once or twice and the man who is not my father, but sort of kind of raised me, got really angry at me. Later I learned to hold my poop in a long time until I would get super constipated and they had to give me p

I don't remember a thing about my potty training, personally. The only things I know are what I've found out from my mom in various points of conversation. What I know is that I was potty trained shortly after I turned two, before my sister was born. My mother said she didn't want to have two kids in diapers at the same time and she told me I was potty trained in two weeks, which she said surprised her.

However, what I do remember are accidents. I remember I went the bed up until I was six. I remember crying in the back seat of my parents' car that I had to go potty on trips to my grandparents' house and having my dad yell at me and say things like "you better not go before we find a place to stop". I remember having accidents during the day until kindergarten. I especially remember one at a babysitter's house around the time I was four and I was put in a diaper because my mother didn't pack me a change of clothes, and I remember my mother didn't at all rush my sister into potty training and she wasn't fully potty trained until she was four.

From what I've been told and what I remember, I don't think it's a coincidence that my little side identifies between the ages of 2-3. I don't know if I was necessarily "rushed" to grow out of diapers, but the evidence is there, and even if I may have been okay with it at that point, I don't know if I was necessarily emotionally ready to have that step pushed on me.

• Like 1

I was potty trained close to the age of three. I wet the bed until I was 9 and had occasional night time accidents until I was 13. I had daytime accidents of pants wetting into the fifth grade but that was like once maybe twice a year by that time. When I was in second grade my parents thought about putting me back in pull-ups during the day but thankfully they didn't. I don't remember being made fun of for having day time accidents. I do remember being tormented by my brother and the neighborhood kids about wearing diapers to bed. Kids are mean.

• Like 1

Hi Angela. Very interesting topic.

I have no memory of being in nappies or of toilet training. I remember being conscious of the whole wetting issue when I was 3 or 4, and of playing games with toy cars in which the cars' drivers had accidents of the "wetting" kind rather than the crashing kind. Whether that was originally prompted by my overhearing and misunderstanding a comment about somebody having had an accident in their car, I cannot say. But it was a feature of my games with toy cars right up until I stopped playing with toy cars altogether.

I remember being fascinated by other children having accidents, and being ever so proud of the fact that unlike lots of my classmates I had NEVER wet my knickers at school ... right up to the day when, aged nearly 7, I did finally have an accident at school. I was EVER so upset about that ... because I was wearing my "best knickers" when it happened, too.

I was nowhere near as reliable about being dry at night as I was about being dry during the day. I had lots of wet beds when I was little. I was finally dry by the time I was 8 ... except for one very embarrassing final wet bed, when we were on holiday and I was sharing a hotel room with my older brother, when I was 11.

I don't think their is a one size fits all age for potty training

it depends on the child and their physical and ability to be able to know when they have to use the potty and to be able to control their bladder and bowels between potty visits

some kids master potty training by age 3 some maybe closer to age 5 and even after that could still have occasional accidents day or night

I have very vague memories of toilet training, more like echos really.

Apparently, I was super good about it and picked it up pretty quick. I do remember have a few accidents in montessori but I was just changed out into a spare clothing (all students had a few extra sets in the storage/coat hang area). I remember being super upset one day that everyone was calling my farmer john because I was wearing bib'd overalls that day and going into the corner of the arts and craft area and spite pissing in the corner. For there were a few extended car trips where I was put back into pull ups due to the duration of the drive and because I was prone to having accidents in the car for a few years after training for whatever reason.

I wasn't fully potty trained until about age four. My "accidents" weren't by accident, though--I pooped my pants on purpose. Funny, but I was scared to death that it would "hurt" to poop in the potty (my mother made me very fearful about bodily functions, I think), but I could easily find a nice corner and crap my pants and it felt just great. (Getting scolded didn't feel so good, however).

Rising 3, it must have been this time of year, I'd "hide" between the two rows of runner beans and fill my pants.

I remember the gardener, having lead me back to the house, saying "He's done it again Ma-am".

• Like 1

I have very few and vague memories of still being in diapers when I was still little. I'm not sure how to describe them, but they're memories that has always been there for me. They might be false since I can't have been very old but I remember going to a daycare in the town I lived in until I was around 3 years old. I have a few memories from that time. One diaper related one is when I was playing with one of those two floor parking lot play sets with cars once when I realized I was using my diaper and got up and asked for a change.

I think the last time I wet the bed was when I was around 10. It didn't happen often but I remember doing it a few times. I'm not sure if I only remember the most embarrassing episodes but I frequently wet the bed when I wasn't staying at home, like when my family was on vacation, I wet the bed at the hotel, I did it when my youth group had a sleep over at church too and once at my friend's house.

I know I was potty trained when I was around 2 years old because a doctor asked my mom about it and that's what she told her. The reason why the doctor asked that was because from when I was 7-9 I had a few accidents during the day which caused a lot of stress for me. I had to run to the bathroom every time I had the chance back then, even if I didn't need to go, or else I'd wet myself. I remember taking a risk by not doing it once before I walked home from school (about 10 minutes) and ended up having an accident on the way home. When I got home, I hid my jeans under my pillow, where of course they where found by mom later.