LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Disposable Income

I get thinking about random things and sometimes I read things that start me off.  I've read in posts here about how many diapers a person goes through a day or week, how much they spend on diapers a year and it made me start thinking of all the things we spend our money on.  Some things are what I call equitable and others I call disposable.  Everyone has what I call these categories of their income.  For example, lets say someone earns $1,000 a week.  They spend their salary on different things.  What I call equitable are expenses that you have to pay but you retain something for your money.  Examples would be your house payment, car payment, new furniture or appliances, clothing, nick-knacks, etc.  Even though these will eventually depreciate and lose value over time, they are items you can use day after day until you sell them or they wear out.  Even if you sell them for less than what you paid for them, you get something back.  You have equity in these things you have spent your money on

We all have disposable income, things that we have to spend our money on but basically use and it's gone or thrown away, nothing you can keep month after month or year after year, things that are needed for daily life.  Examples would be the bill you pay for heating your home, electricity, food you eat once and poop out, gas for your car that you have to keep buying, hotel stay or vacation trip, movie tickets, etc.

No one except for a few extremists will argue that you have an amount of your income that I call disposable.  Yes, you do get something for the money you pay but it's one time use.  You get to stay warm in the winter from the gas bill you pay to heat your house, but you have to keep paying it every month because you use it and it's gone.  You get to stay healthy instead of emaciated because you buy food over and over to eat each day.   You might not be able to work and earn a paycheck if you didn't have to keep putting gas in your car to get to and from work each day.  There are necessities we all pay for that are one time use that we don't have anything left to show for physically year after year like our house and car.

The point I am thinking about?  What value do you place personally on items in your disposable income?  I would place my electric bill high on the list along with my gas and water bills.  I need to stay warm in the winter, cool in the summer and have water to drink and keep myself clean  Food would also be high on the list as everyone must eat to live.  Now I'll talk about other disposable income.  If after the essential items I budget for weekly, what is most important to me for what I have left and what importance do I place for which items I have left that I spend my disposable income on?  For example, most of us need toilet paper, a one time use and it's flushed away.  Maybe we spend $30 a month on toilet paper, not a big sum in the overall picture.  On the other hand, maybe we spend $120 on disposable diapers a month that we also use once and throw away.  Both are items I would say fit in the disposable income category, but where individually do you rank their importance in your life?  If your money was limited, which items would you place the most importance on, and I'm taking disposable income that is left after paying mortgage and car payments, clothes, furniture and appliances, things that have equity?  I would place food at the top, heat, water and electricity as they are pretty necessary for life.  What next?  Toilet paper?  Movie tickets or some form of entertainment?  Travel, vacations or diapers?  Since the amount many spend per month on disposable diapers for their personal enjoyment is much more than toilet paper or movie tickets, if your income was suddenly limited, would you give up or cut way back on diapers or something else like toilet paper or food so you could still enjoy your full diaper lifestyle?

Basically I'm saying we spend a lot of money on things that are one time use, disposable income.  How do you feel about spending $120 a month on diapers and only $30 a month on toilet paper or $40 a month on movie tickets? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, WetDad said:

Who can go to movies right now?

Great point.

Covid has definitely changed a lot of spending habits, some good, some bad.  I don't eat out much anyway, but I haven't been brave enough to eat in a sit-down restaurant except briefly after they lifted the shutdown; even then, I was nervous about the people coughing about 10 feet away, so it made for a quick and anxiety filled lunch.  I will take out from restaurants, but there's no doubt that our spending is down on a lot of things just because of Covid.  And travel is pretty much out right now -- can't see taking a plane, a train, or even just visiting any city at this time.  All of the money that I would have spend is getting socked away.

I have a boatload of credit from cancelled plays since Covid in March, and I'm not sure when they will allow plays to be performed.  Same with concerts, sporting events, etc.  They are allowing some fans into sporting events, and the idiot governor removed all restrictions so teams can fill a stadium if they want, but so far all teams have said "Thanks but no thanks", and are allowing around 10,000 a game with social distancing being enforced.

As for the initial question, $125 a month is about what I spend on ABDL diapers on average.  I wear about 500 a year -- 1 for overnight, and I occasionally go 21/5 or so when the bug hits me.  For the amount of joy I get out of wearing them, it's a complete bargain.  And at this time of not having a lot of things to spend money on, I'm saving up a good bit for when the doors finally do open.

4 hours ago, WetDad said:

Who can go to movies right now?

I could, but no movie I want to see has been released.

@rusty pins

I don't think necessities for life count as disposable. Food, water, gas, and electricity are all a bit of a necessity. Eating out, or restaurant food could be disposable income, or "luxury" foods.

My diapers are the single biggest disposable income expense, I don't count food and utilities. But I also own and use cloth diapers.

I always thought disposable income was what you had left over after meeting all expenses and obligations - hence you can "throw it away without missing it".  

Of course, on this forum we should be calling it disposable diaper income!  ?

6 hours ago, rusty pins said:

Basically I'm saying we spend a lot of money on things that are one time use, disposable income.  How do you feel about spending $120 a month on diapers and only $30 a month on toilet paper or $40 a month on movie tickets? 

$30 per month on TP??? Yikes!  I bought a 24-pack back in January and I'm still using it!  (and no, it's not because I use the diapers instead)  

Here's what I can't fathom --- why people spend extraordinarily huge amounts for a phone that's only good for 2 to 3 years before it's either broken or the vendor pulls the plug on support (I'M LOOKING AT YOU APPLE!).   We're talking $600 to $1000 before you even shell out for a plan.  To me that's insane!    Don't even get me started on the now-mandatory new accessories you have to buy just be able to use it like the one it replaced.

I set aside $200/month just for diapers,  as I chose to wear diapers and only use my diapers instead of a toilet. 

To me it all part of my disposable income buying disposable diapers and disposing of them after I use them.

• Thanks 1

I treat buying diapers like any other expense and budget for it. Having cloth diapers helps also. 

As kat has said people spend 1000 dollars on the latest cell phone that locks em for a 2 yr contract. To make it simple $1000 phone ÷ 24 months is 41.67 phone payment.  

Some of the high end diapers are that for a pack of larges. Now buy by the case. It gets more expensive per month. Now some people change 3 to 5 times a day depending on their day and habits.  So now just add another case per month. 

Point being diapers can be more expensive or less expensive than a new iphone or android model. I just gave the high end example.

I still have my Samsung S7 (not Edge) that I bought for about $400 and I will probably have it for another year, maybe 2
Phone before that was S5

I don't think I even use 1 roll of TP a month, so a pack lasts me over a year

Going out to eat is disposable income, I order food max 1 time a week, never eat out

Cars are for many, a luxury they don't really need so its disposable income 
I don't really need my car, but I do need it when I need it and its convenient 

So for me, at this moment, car cost me more than diapers, as I have a car loan
In 2022 when car is paid, diapers will take first place

I value my retirement savings.  I valued it since my college personal finance course.

I'm into pull ups, and fortunate enough that cost doesn't matter.  I did get some Prevail 360s ($0.50 per copy) and they felt pretty good.

5 hours ago, Dubious said:

I still have my Samsung S7 (not Edge) that I bought for about $400 and I will probably have it for another year, maybe 2
Phone before that was S5

In the early days of smart phones I was buying a new one every year.  They were just too slow I had an S5 and it also was just too slow.  I loved it, but eventually got the S8 and still have it.

Lol disposable income.

You guys have a very weird way of figuring out how to budget. Mine goes like this:

All expenses that I occur must be used to decrease expenses overtime in order to save. If you save then its for when your older or a emergency hence the need to put the saving that keeps up with inflation which would be gold and silver. Any expense occured must be of the smallest amount possible in order to save or have enough to maintain income(Example: buying a small 2 seater car instead of a car costing over $20,000). Every expense must be justified to help improve income or standard of living down the road(Example buying fruits and vegetables so you can grow a garden). If income is steady then I can "swap" expenses or what I call "reverse buying".

Due to my budget strategy I have a standard of living that is comparable to middle class even though I earned min wage. I own a small house and car with a family to take care of. Living the american dream on min wage even though the news says its impossable.

Now for the "diaper income" I try to keep it at one pack a month if I have steady income. Even though I have no job now I can still buy things because I prepared for this "plandemic"many years ago.

If you buy disposable diapers....does that count as "disposable income" ??? ?  ( incoming disposables....) Yeah....well.I..ummm...will find my way out...??

Because I'm going out of work for a surgery next month, I've been studying my finances a lot closer than usual.  I would classify disposable income as anything I don't need to live (and to some extent credit cards).  Rent, electric, natural gas, internet/phone, food, gas for the car, those are essentials.  Credit card debt (a lot of my debt is from home repair as I live in a trailer; I own the house and maintain it myself) was essential at the time, but now I'm paying for it.

Non essential is well...Everything else.  I've discovered I'm one of those Millenials who could probably buy something really nice if they stopped drinking lattes every few days (I will be saving a lot on that when I'm out of work!) But other than that, I'm pretty low-maintenance.  A whole month is almost over, and I've spent a grand total of $80 on things I like to do.  Haunted houses, a video game, and an art program subscription.  Not much.

...I spent about an initial $700 on cloth diapers and a little more on about 16prs on plastic pants. Have hardly spent anything diaper wise in the last 9 months or so.

...hell, my wife spends $7-$14 a day, EVERYDAY, and I mean EVERDAY at Starbucks, so add that up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily I'm not an expensive girl because I don't have much disposable income after necessities. (But that's why I'm back in school for a career change, so I can make almost double what I do now and will have more money available so I can do things like afford my own place!).  I work full time (and if we could make minimum wage $15 an hour I'd be over the moon!) and I pay for my classes out of pocket (only a few left to go, woot!) so I take a class at a time which is why it's taking me longer to finish up my degree.  I used most of my savings this summer to buy a car- I got a good price on a newer used one, for once it's not a clunker on its last legs :D.  Due to corona and changes to public transportation, a car was a necessity for getting to work, and I will need the car when I go to switch careers. It expands my employment opportunities, and if/once Covid calms down I might even be able to pick up a second job.  

But that's all necessities. For disposabls income, I occasionally buy a book (either in the bargain bin at bookstores or used online, or at dollar stores or thrift stores). Most of my clothes are either second hand, from sales racks, or Walmart and Amazon. Most of my disposable income comes from my weekend Starbucks and once in a while I'll break my diet and order wings from a local pizza place. (best damn wings in the area!).  I did indulge in going out to a steak house because one of my siblings hit the big 21 birthday, so I treated them to a few drinks and a nice dinner.

• Like 1

I have run a business.  Do you all realize that expenses far outweigh what you think you are worth.  How much do I have to make for you to earn $15 dollars an hour to wash dishes or wait tables.  Depending upon the business your value is very minimal.  All you are is someone to fill a time slot on a schedule and actually hope that you show up to work.  You think that you are so valuable, depending upon the business, how much do I have sell to let you make $15 dollars per hour.  

• Like 2

A car payment is not a necessity you dopes. If you have a car payment, you are losing so much money. Go buy a cheap used Honda or Toyota until you can afford to buy the car you want with cash. 

Necessities go like this; shelter, food, water, clothing, and heating/AC. This is called the four walls. If you can cover these things, then you are ok.

Now, I like to take 25% of my take home pay to go to my financial goals, because I am doing well and can afford it, but bottom line is you need you pay your self first before you spend money on other things. A good minimum is 15%. I would also make sure that if you are here, you also have all the insurance you need.

Then, we have the monthly expenses, such as internet and the phone bill. Buy the phone outright and never do their monthly plan. The phone stores rip you off.

Then we have fun stuff.

• Like 1

Well, if you have clothes, you don't really need new clothes, so it depends on the situation.   I haven't bought any clothes this year
Food is disposable income if you eat out or make fancy meals

I do kinda regret that I bought that expensive car, but I have gone so far now that I will lose more money if I sell it
I manage, but I could have done so much with that money
Its super nice to have, but costly 

16 hours ago, Dubious said:

I do kinda regret that I bought that expensive car, but I have gone so far now that I will lose more money if I sell it

That there kinda sounds like the Concorde fallacy to me. 

Anyway, you will always lose money on a car. Depreciation, running costs, service, insurance, it will be a money pit every time, no matter what. Unless it's something extremely unique, like a limited edition Koenigsegg, something with a high potential to become a sought after collector's item (which, if you could afford to buy new in the first place, you'd need not worry about losing money anyway).

Lately and also in the past I've spent a lot of my disposable income on various hand and power tools. Not the cheap ones either. They could make me money, if I ever decide to put them to use doing things for other people than me and my family. But so far it's just been a net loss. I rationalize it that I do a lot of work on my house that would've cost almost as much if I hired a contractor, and I'd have no tools afterwards, so this way I spend a little more, but end up with a lot more value.

Oh, and I also spend my disposable income on disposable diapers.

Bet you didn't expect that.

Tools can be a good source.  Look at it this way.  If you have no tools, you would always need someone to fix any little thing around your necessary income house.  Even if you have a brother in law or friend come over to fix the little things because you don't have a screwdriver or hammer, you most likely will pay him off with a 12 pack of beer if not actual money.  For the big things, if you can do your home repairs yourself, it can save you a lot of money instead of hiring someone else to do it.  If it would cost you $1,000 to have a fence repaired and it costs you $65 for a skill saw to cut a few new boards, you have saved that money and you still retain the saw for use on other repairs that might crop up.  On top of that, you could develop woodworking skills as a hobby and not only make your own furniture like book cases, tables, shelves or whatever and doing that yourself will save you the cost of buying the same items in a furniture store or elsewhere for a higher price.  You may even make things you can sell for a profit.  That makes you have equity in the tools you purchase.

Yes, you will lose money on a car if you figure out what you paid for it new and what it may be physically worth 15 years down the line (and yes, my last car was 4 years old when I bought it and I drove it for 20 years).  That may be an equitable loss in many people's minds, but the picture they are missing is the amount of money they would have spent on bus and taxi rides, subway or train fair to get them around to work, friends and wherever they need to go on a daily basis.  Figure in the time and loss of independence by having to wait for bus and train schedules and not having the freedom to get in your own car anytime you want to go somewhere and that is worth a lot!  That's all a part of it, and whenever you pay bus or car fair, that is gone for your one time ride.  With a car, even after your payments are done you still have the car even though it has depreciated.  The depreciation is not without value because you didn't get nothing for the years you had it.  It's not like you bought it and it sat in your driveway unused for 15 years losing value.  You got your 15 years of value out of your car by driving it daily and making use of it for it's intended purpose, and while it lost some of it's value from age over the years, you still physically have it!  You got value for your money by using it well for the purpose you bought it for and you still retain it.

When you talk about car payments such as, "If you have a car payment, you are losing so much money. Go buy a cheap used Honda or Toyota until you can afford to buy the car you want with cash", you have to think of the whole overall picture.  If you buy even a cheap used car you may still need a loan depending on your financial situation.  Banks are hesitant to loan money on an older vehicle as they won't be likely to recoup any losses and the physical value isn't that great.  I don't advocate buying a brand new car for $22,000 unless you plan to drive it for the next 15 years and you can well afford it.  That's where so many young people get in trouble.  With house, wife, baby and expenses, rather than get a good used 6 or 7 year old car, they get a loan for a brand new car at high interest rates and can't afford it.  The car get's repossessed and they are on the hook for any shortfall when the bank sells it.  Now their credit is ruined.  If you have the cash and buy a 15 year old beater car for $1,000, is that any better?  The older a car is, it's less likely to last very long.  If the car was any good, the guy wouldn't be selling it!  You most likely will have to put money into it to keep it running, it may break down when you need it to get to work, and maybe it might last you a couple years.  That to me is a loss of money and equity because you eventually have to junk it.  Buying a cheap car that breaks down, has to be repaired all the time is putting good money after bad.  Better to get a decent car in good used condition 6 or 7 years old, something reliable that has equity left and will serve you well for another 8 to 10 years with a moderate loan if needed, one that doesn't have high interest rates and affordable monthly payments.  Then you haven't spent a whole lot but you have something that runs well, looks good and will meet your needs.  The physical cost of the car and yearly depreciation isn't the whole picture.  The years of daily use you get out of your expenditure has to figure in to it's overall value and equity, not just the physical car itself. 

23 hours ago, dlinmsp said:

I have run a business.  Do you all realize that expenses far outweigh what you think you are worth.  How much do I have to make for you to earn $15 dollars an hour to wash dishes or wait tables.  Depending upon the business your value is very minimal.  All you are is someone to fill a time slot on a schedule and actually hope that you show up to work.  You think that you are so valuable, depending upon the business, how much do I have sell to let you make $15 dollars per hour.  

This. This. This. People in city of St. Louis started whining about $15 an hour, and they got it. Now when ever I go into one of several restaurants I am no longer greeted by a human being, but a goddamn terminator from Skynet asking if I want pickles on my double cheese... This is what you get when unskilled people demand more money... Fucking Skynet