LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Not ready to announce to my neighbourhood that I am incontinent

As a 24/7 wearer, responsible and discreet disposal of my nappies is something I've been concerned about for months. I'm in the UK so we have wheelie bins for general waste (and others for recycling) which get collected every 2 weeks. I checked with the council when I started using nappies and they said that all adult incontinence products should go in general waste. Fair enough - we all know nappies are tragic for the environment.

The problem is, 14 days of 24/7 wearing is A LOT of wet nappies. And wet nappies are HEAVY. So for a while, me and my partner have been worried that one day the bin collection guys will tell us our bins are too heavy, assuming we are literally putting rocks or bricks into it(!) and not empty them.

So I got in touch with the council and they said that I needed to get a special bin for the nappies. I need a note from my doc to say I have special medical needs (not a problem) and they would send me a seperate bin within 10 days. Sounds like a plan BUT the bin has a bright yellow lid which says NAPPIES ONLY on it. We're a friendly street in the middle of a housing estate and everyone knows everyone. Everyone also knows that there are no babies living at our house, so if we get a nappy bin which we have to leave out on bin day, EVERYONE who passes our house will know that either me or my partner is wearing nappies.

Isn't that really bad that the council haven't thought through that people may want to be more private than that? Or am I just being over sensitive? I am autistic so don't always see things the way others do.......

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Little Belle said:

Isn't that really bad that the council haven't thought through that people may want to be more private than that?

Yes it is.  You could try taking it up with a councillor, maybe a female one.  They are sometimes quite capable of banging heads together at the council.

• Like 3

I'm a plan B type person. Talking with the members on the council is a good idea but having a fallback plan is always a good idea too.

I would guess that the bright yellow lid with nappies only is to alert the workers that the bin is going to be heavy. You could see how the lid on your bin is hinged. It may be possible to remove the yellow lid and replace with a normal one. If that's not possible maybe paint the yellow lid so it doesn't stand out so much. Either way you could use one bin for diapers one week and the second bin for the second week that way the weight will be split evenly. Good luck with this.

Hugs

Freta

• Like 2

This is beyond the pale (as well as beyond the pail...) as far as I'm concerned. Having to wear a scarlet letter, essentially publicly identified as being an adult in nappies, strikes me as absurd. My wife used to work in a home-based daycare and they got an allowance for having an additional rubbish bin out every two weeks, because they had a half-dozen toddlers burning through a few Pampers a day. But that bin was just another bin, no identifying colour or lid. 

I would bring this up with the council, and ask them how they'd feel about having a NAPPY BIN on the curb out in front of their houses. Surly this can't be the first time that this has been brought up. I'd probably try to divide the nappies up evenly between the two wheelie bins, and if the collectors take them without commentary, I'd leave it at that. It's not as though the nappies are being disposed of in any particular way - they just get tossed in with everything else, anyway.

On a related side-note, we had a controversy here maybe a decade ago when they started collecting organics province wide, because one municipality allowed diapers to be thrown in with food waste, and nobody else did, and that municipality was heralded as being a fine steward of the environment, and they got extra money from the province for their fantastic program, which allegedly diverted hundreds of tons of material out of landfills. Except that when other municipalities looked into how this was being done, it was revealed that they'd purchased a multimillion dollar screening machine that separated the diapers from the organic waste... and the diapers were then sent to landfill. But in so doing, they skipped the tallying of waste and got counted as having been "recycled". 

Where I live, I'm limited to two bins a day, and being in nappies myself, one of those bins tends to be fairly hefty, but so far I haven't had any issues from the collectors, they seem to just take whatever we put out there. I tip them well at Christmas. I did have one incident last year, though, where a snow plow clipped one of my bins with the blade at speed, and it was launched into the ditch and exploded, scattering a glorious array of multi-coloured nappies atop a fresh coating of snow. My wife came back from taking the dog out and said "You'd better have a look at what's happened up by the road...", leaving me frantically picking them up as neighbours drove by, hopefully not paying much attention to the spectacle. Now, I make sure that nappies are in black bags, not the lighter-duty kitchen bags I used to use. 

• Haha 4

We are about to move to issued trash cans. 1 can, 1 pickup a week and they won't take ANYTHING not in the can. I plan to call and request a second can. I know they are going to offer them for a free, but I will ask if there is a medical exception.

• Like 2

That's another speak for; We don't want to give you another bin, you can have this in yellow. 
Most people would say no to the yellow bin, and the collector would save money, or make more money if they order a bigger bin.

Our bin got emptied every 14 day, and that was fine for me.
Now it gets emptied every 4 week...  its full after 2 weeks.

So I have started to use public bins.

• Like 2

Man, I'm glad I'm not in the UK. Here in the good old USA, we pay for private trash pickup. It's once a week on a given day and almost never varies. It only changes on holidays and vendor (trash pickup companies) changes. We used to have 4-5 to choose from, but since Covid and the democrats, killed that. We're down to two choices now. Whatever one you choosse, you get their bin which can hold up to three 13lb bags. If you got more than that, it simply goes along outside of the can. Once a week works great for me with an average of 1 to 2 bags/week.

I recycle the good old fashioned American Indian way. It gets put back into the ground from whence it came. No questions asked.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, FretaBWet said:

I'm a plan B type person. Talking with the members on the council is a good idea but having a fallback plan is always a good idea too.

I would guess that the bright yellow lid with nappies only is to alert the workers that the bin is going to be heavy. You could see how the lid on your bin is hinged. It may be possible to remove the yellow lid and replace with a normal one. If that's not possible maybe paint the yellow lid so it doesn't stand out so much. Either way you could use one bin for diapers one week and the second bin for the second week that way the weight will be split evenly. Good luck with this.

Hugs

Freta

Good idea although I've now found out the yellow lidded NAPPY BIN (caps to show how much it screams!) is also about 3rd of the size of the other wheelie bins so that in itself marks it out for being different. I think you're right about going for plan B but I think my plan B may just be to carry on as I am. Or is that plan A ? thanks anyway x

4 hours ago, WBxx said:

And they’re implying you need a doctor’s note to wear nappies!?  No way.

Yes they definitely need that apparently. Not a problem for me as I've been seeing the IC team for a few years (well before going 24/7) but even admitting to the doc that you're IC can be a barrier for some people....

3 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

This is beyond the pale (as well as beyond the pail...) as far as I'm concerned. Having to wear a scarlet letter, essentially publicly identified as being an adult in nappies, strikes me as absurd. My wife used to work in a home-based daycare and they got an allowance for having an additional rubbish bin out every two weeks, because they had a half-dozen toddlers burning through a few Pampers a day. But that bin was just another bin, no identifying colour or lid. 

I would bring this up with the council, and ask them how they'd feel about having a NAPPY BIN on the curb out in front of their houses. Surly this can't be the first time that this has been brought up. I'd probably try to divide the nappies up evenly between the two wheelie bins, and if the collectors take them without commentary, I'd leave it at that. It's not as though the nappies are being disposed of in any particular way - they just get tossed in with everything else, anyway.

On a related side-note, we had a controversy here maybe a decade ago when they started collecting organics province wide, because one municipality allowed diapers to be thrown in with food waste, and nobody else did, and that municipality was heralded as being a fine steward of the environment, and they got extra money from the province for their fantastic program, which allegedly diverted hundreds of tons of material out of landfills. Except that when other municipalities looked into how this was being done, it was revealed that they'd purchased a multimillion dollar screening machine that separated the diapers from the organic waste... and the diapers were then sent to landfill. But in so doing, they skipped the tallying of waste and got counted as having been "recycled". 

Where I live, I'm limited to two bins a day, and being in nappies myself, one of those bins tends to be fairly hefty, but so far I haven't had any issues from the collectors, they seem to just take whatever we put out there. I tip them well at Christmas. I did have one incident last year, though, where a snow plow clipped one of my bins with the blade at speed, and it was launched into the ditch and exploded, scattering a glorious array of multi-coloured nappies atop a fresh coating of snow. My wife came back from taking the dog out and said "You'd better have a look at what's happened up by the road...", leaving me frantically picking them up as neighbours drove by, hopefully not paying much attention to the spectacle. Now, I make sure that nappies are in black bags, not the lighter-duty kitchen bags I used to use. 

OMG @Little Sherri you do make me laugh with your multicoloured nappy explosion! And the image of your wife cooly telling you that you might want to check out the chaos was perfect! ????.

2 hours ago, Dubious said:

That's another speak for; We don't want to give you another bin, you can have this in yellow. 
Most people would say no to the yellow bin, and the collector would save money, or make more money if they order a bigger bin.

Our bin got emptied every 14 day, and that was fine for me.
Now it gets emptied every 4 week...  its full after 2 weeks.

So I have started to use public bins.

I sometimes use public bins too, just to keep the weight down on my wheelie bin. Which has made me feel weirdly devious and secretive which I really don't like! 

• Like 2

You are jumping the gun here.  Don't ever offer more information than is needed at the time.  So far no one has complained about how heavy the trash bin is or refused to empty it.  Why bring it up to them and put ideas in their heads?  Wait until, if ever, someone brings it to your attention.  Deal with it then, get your doctor's note and tell the counsel no way as an adult with medical needs will you tolerate a special yellow bin that says "Nappies Only".  You are not going to advertise to your neighbors your medical condition and that special bin is discrimination against people with a medical disability.  Currently your diapers go in the same bin with other trash, therefore it's obviously not an issue.  Tell them you need an extra bin, same as the others, period!  That is, only if it ever becomes an issue.  Until then, just keep your mouth shut about it and don't give them things to think about.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, rusty pins said:

You are jumping the gun here.  Don't ever offer more information than is needed at the time.  So far no one has complained about how heavy the trash bin is or refused to empty it.  Why bring it up to them and put ideas in their heads?  Wait until, if ever, someone brings it to your attention.  Deal with it then, get your doctor's note and tell the counsel no way as an adult with medical needs will you tolerate a special yellow bin that says "Nappies Only".  You are not going to advertise to your neighbors your medical condition and that special bin is discrimination against people with a medical disability.  Currently your diapers go in the same bin with other trash, therefore it's obviously not an issue.  Tell them you need an extra bin, same as the others, period!  That is, only if it ever becomes an issue.  Until then, just keep your mouth shut about it and don't give them things to think about.  

@Little Belle

I agree with @rusty pins  If it comes to their attention that you need to provide them with such documentation, then and only then would you provide them that information. The problem that I see is and I are both incontinent. By giving you a bin that is bright yellow with the word Nappy's only written on it, would S C R E A M " somebody wears nappies in this neighborhood."  i'm not sure why someone would want to ask you to get a bright yellow litter bin that says Nappy's only on it just so they can tell what's in that bin. There are probably thousands upon thousands of of individuals worldwide that wear diapers every day 24 hours a day 365 days a year, and no one and nowhere have I heard of a situation where someone is required to place them in a colored bin that screams nappies all over it, and normally if we're talking about an adult here, it's nobody's business but the person but the person who is wearing them, and maybe their significant other.

If you are running a daycare center or home daycare, I can understand if they had a special bin that was That was designed for diapers, because maybe they take the diapers to a different location to be able to be recycled or dealt with. When you're running a daycare, it's going to be obvious that someone is going to be wearing diapers, so therefore someone is going to be changing diapers and throwing them away, so someone will have to put them somewhere, and the trash hauler will be removing them. I can understand the reluctance of some people to want to go public about something that they want to keep private:: I could also understand that the company may want to be able to tell what is in a bin, but to make a bin so conspicuous that it would sort stick out like a bourbon bottle in the middle of a snowstorm, That's a little too much in my opinion!

Plus, it really it really doesn't matter whether it's adult wearing diapers or it's a kid wearing diapers, someone wears diapers! it should not be up to the trash hauler to dictate how they will allow you to get a bin that is specialized for your incontinence briefs disposal, and it should not be up to the trash hauler to decide that it should be conspicuous. there are many people in the world who wear diapers, and I don't see anyone where you would go to A person's house for example, or in the United Kingdom they call them flats, and then cause individuals to think some Is strange. there are people all over the world who are incontinent, and in my opinion this should not be made to spectacle of, it just should be expected that people who are going to need the extra bin, because they need diapers.

I wonder sometimes for example if you live in either an assisted living, or a nursing home environment, or A facility, and you need to wear diapers. do they usually have bins that basically say diapers and then you put all your diapers into this bin question do they actually go in and separate diapers from the rest of the trash? maybe they do because of what may be in the diapers and because of the smell, but I've never heard of a situation your trash Hauler  is telling you that you have to have this loud colored bin:  I would say that the way that should be handled is is aware of your medical situation, if they require the documentation, but they give you the choice of what color bin to use! if they use a bin that is not a different color, then it's not going to be something that is going to be Sitting out there for people to know automatically by the color of the lid. when your incontinent, there may be times when it's perfectly natural to just throw something away or throw your diaper into a bin because you want to get rid of it, but how many people actually want to come out and tell people by the color of their bin that they're incontinent, or they wear diapers, and why? that's something that should be only disclosed with your significant other your family your doctor medical professionals, or whoever you else you trust!

doing that with a yellow bin would be like me walking outside my apartment, walking outside the building and parading around in a diaper for somebody to see! imagine what people would see, and what people probably would say if they saw that! i'd probably be called to the landlord's office across the street and asked why I did that! I say again why would the company decide to use a bright yellow bin with a word nappy's only printed on it call you're not going To keep it a secret that way: the only thing I would suggest is that the trash company knows that you have incontinence issues, and they keep it between the customer and the, and by putting out a yellow bin, that is like peeing on white snow!

I am Lucky:  Unlike @Little Belle, I can just take my Jenna Belle disposal can, and then remove A bag full of diapers, and throw it into our trash chute:  there are people here that probably are aging between 20 and 90, and I bet you money going to be there are going to be people in my building that I don't know about that wear diapers! if they wear diapers that's no big deal, they deal with it the way they think is appropriate, but they don't call attention to them because of the way that the trash Holler decides to get rid of them. all the trash goes into one container, and by that I mean I throw a trash bag full of diapers down the chute it goes down the chute and then it goes to the bottom of the chute and it opens at the bottom of that chute, there is a dumpster that is connected to the System. when that dumpster gets full, maintenance comes down to the trashroom and removes it and rolls it to the pickup location at the back of our building, and our waste hauler removes it, and then once that is done, Everything is empty and it is returned to the trash room to accept more waste from the five floors of the building.

In no way are we marking bins that say diapers or nappies or whatever! yes, we mark bins that say compost, but most of our bins are zero sort recycling, which means you throw everything into the bin and you don't have to separate except for the compost. they finally realize that compost is a pain in the butt For guys like me, because I'm not gonna go all the way outside and all the way to the back of the building to go to the composted to throw an apple core or a piece of potato away just so that it is composted. I told the director and no one certain terms because of my disability that I wasn't gonna do Composting. it's hard enough that we have to separate recycles from trash, so I'm not gonna do anything extra that causes me to do extra work period if the landlord wants to do that that's their business, but I told them that we have problems with some of that, and I have a weak stomach so I'm not gonna be messing around with Stinky compost buckets or anything like that. one of the worst smells i've ever had to deal with in my life was one day when I came to work in my thrift store, and of course the local food pantries operational area is right outside my store door in our church. It stunk so bad because something went bad in the main freezers they had to remove all of the meat And vegetables from all of the freezers and then disinfect them and deodorize them and then defrost them for at least three days before they could put fresh meat and produce back into the fridges and freezers. if you think a diaper stinks, compost will stink worse than that, and meat and vegetables can stink worse than that!

this past week for example, apparently our trash pickup was delayed by a week, which resulted in the trash bin being filled all the way up to the 2nd floor or third floor refuse door access! that smell radiated from that particular floor all the way down from my apartment to the front door, and caused me to have to wonder if there was a problem with the trash system, or if the trash hauler had come to remove it:  According to the trash Company, they never picked up last week carmen which is why we're smelling garbage on Sunday: and my roommate was having trouble with his heat smelling like burnt chicken or some other type of funky smell, and we found out that the reason it stunk was because in his heaters there was a bunch of dust dirt dander and a bunch of junk in there that needed to be blasted with a can of air!

so to get to the point, no one should be required to have that is bright yellow that actually advertises what's in it, and the only people that should really care what's in that bin are the people that are wearing diapers are using diapers, and the hauler itself. if if somebody ends up finding out, well, that simply means that someone wears diapers: although I would not want to have one of those ugly looking yellow things in front of my house, if the necessary council cannot be convinced, I would just get yourself a red topped bin, and then tell them what that red bin is in it, and then they will remove it anyway. if the only reason that there's a problem is because they decide to use a yellow bin and put the word nappies on it, the easiest way to do that is to just put the yellow bin on and remove the word nappies only and use it that way, or change the top of the bin, as @Little SherriSuggested.

I would ask the following question: does it really matter what color the bin is as long as the Trash company knows what's in that bin! do they have to write the word nappies only on it? Does it have to be yellow, or can it just be a yellow top with nothing written on it and just have the recycling triangle on it as you would see on a US bin?

As Rusty says, I would provide the information that they request when they requested, and not before: I don't think it'd be a problem as far as the company goes think that putting in a yellow bin like that comment would be a problem. Hopefully, you are able to determine a way to around this yellow bin problem, because all you're basically doing is in an additional bin, and I don't see why it has to be yellow, because basically if you want to hide the fact that you're wearing diapers, you aren't gonna be able to hide it if it's in a bright yellow bin, any more than someone who could sneak into your house and you catch them red handed with their hand in a cookie jar and you yell aha I caught you! then you ask them what they're doing there and why they're trying to take your cookies he he he exclamation

Brian

• Like 2

I have considered getting the nappy bin, as my regular waste bin gets full and very heavy after two weeks.  I don't want my neighbors to know I wear nappies, but some of them probably know already.  I have never had an issue with the collectors, but often wonder what they must think.  I'm sure they have seen it all and don't really care.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ~Brian~ said:

@Little Belle

I agree with @rusty pins  If it comes to their attention that you need to provide them with such documentation, then and only then would you provide them that information. The problem that I see is and I are both incontinent. By giving you a bin that is bright yellow with the word Nappy's only written on it, would S C R E A M " somebody wears nappies in this neighborhood."  i'm not sure why someone would want to ask you to get a bright yellow litter bin that says Nappy's only on it just so they can tell what's in that bin. There are probably thousands upon thousands of of individuals worldwide that wear diapers every day 24 hours a day 365 days a year, and no one and nowhere have I heard of a situation where someone is required to place them in a colored bin that screams nappies all over it, and normally if we're talking about an adult here, it's nobody's business but the person but the person who is wearing them, and maybe their significant other.

If you are running a daycare center or home daycare, I can understand if they had a special bin that was That was designed for diapers, because maybe they take the diapers to a different location to be able to be recycled or dealt with. When you're running a daycare, it's going to be obvious that someone is going to be wearing diapers, so therefore someone is going to be changing diapers and throwing them away, so someone will have to put them somewhere, and the trash hauler will be removing them. I can understand the reluctance of some people to want to go public about something that they want to keep private:: I could also understand that the company may want to be able to tell what is in a bin, but to make a bin so conspicuous that it would sort stick out like a bourbon bottle in the middle of a snowstorm, That's a little too much in my opinion!

Plus, it really it really doesn't matter whether it's adult wearing diapers or it's a kid wearing diapers, someone wears diapers! it should not be up to the trash hauler to dictate how they will allow you to get a bin that is specialized for your incontinence briefs disposal, and it should not be up to the trash hauler to decide that it should be conspicuous. there are many people in the world who wear diapers, and I don't see anyone where you would go to A person's house for example, or in the United Kingdom they call them flats, and then cause individuals to think some Is strange. there are people all over the world who are incontinent, and in my opinion this should not be made to spectacle of, it just should be expected that people who are going to need the extra bin, because they need diapers.

I wonder sometimes for example if you live in either an assisted living, or a nursing home environment, or A facility, and you need to wear diapers. do they usually have bins that basically say diapers and then you put all your diapers into this bin question do they actually go in and separate diapers from the rest of the trash? maybe they do because of what may be in the diapers and because of the smell, but I've never heard of a situation your trash Hauler  is telling you that you have to have this loud colored bin:  I would say that the way that should be handled is is aware of your medical situation, if they require the documentation, but they give you the choice of what color bin to use! if they use a bin that is not a different color, then it's not going to be something that is going to be Sitting out there for people to know automatically by the color of the lid. when your incontinent, there may be times when it's perfectly natural to just throw something away or throw your diaper into a bin because you want to get rid of it, but how many people actually want to come out and tell people by the color of their bin that they're incontinent, or they wear diapers, and why? that's something that should be only disclosed with your significant other your family your doctor medical professionals, or whoever you else you trust!

doing that with a yellow bin would be like me walking outside my apartment, walking outside the building and parading around in a diaper for somebody to see! imagine what people would see, and what people probably would say if they saw that! i'd probably be called to the landlord's office across the street and asked why I did that! I say again why would the company decide to use a bright yellow bin with a word nappy's only printed on it call you're not going To keep it a secret that way: the only thing I would suggest is that the trash company knows that you have incontinence issues, and they keep it between the customer and the, and by putting out a yellow bin, that is like peeing on white snow!

I am Lucky:  Unlike @Little Belle, I can just take my Jenna Belle disposal can, and then remove A bag full of diapers, and throw it into our trash chute:  there are people here that probably are aging between 20 and 90, and I bet you money going to be there are going to be people in my building that I don't know about that wear diapers! if they wear diapers that's no big deal, they deal with it the way they think is appropriate, but they don't call attention to them because of the way that the trash Holler decides to get rid of them. all the trash goes into one container, and by that I mean I throw a trash bag full of diapers down the chute it goes down the chute and then it goes to the bottom of the chute and it opens at the bottom of that chute, there is a dumpster that is connected to the System. when that dumpster gets full, maintenance comes down to the trashroom and removes it and rolls it to the pickup location at the back of our building, and our waste hauler removes it, and then once that is done, Everything is empty and it is returned to the trash room to accept more waste from the five floors of the building.

In no way are we marking bins that say diapers or nappies or whatever! yes, we mark bins that say compost, but most of our bins are zero sort recycling, which means you throw everything into the bin and you don't have to separate except for the compost. they finally realize that compost is a pain in the butt For guys like me, because I'm not gonna go all the way outside and all the way to the back of the building to go to the composted to throw an apple core or a piece of potato away just so that it is composted. I told the director and no one certain terms because of my disability that I wasn't gonna do Composting. it's hard enough that we have to separate recycles from trash, so I'm not gonna do anything extra that causes me to do extra work period if the landlord wants to do that that's their business, but I told them that we have problems with some of that, and I have a weak stomach so I'm not gonna be messing around with Stinky compost buckets or anything like that. one of the worst smells i've ever had to deal with in my life was one day when I came to work in my thrift store, and of course the local food pantries operational area is right outside my store door in our church. It stunk so bad because something went bad in the main freezers they had to remove all of the meat And vegetables from all of the freezers and then disinfect them and deodorize them and then defrost them for at least three days before they could put fresh meat and produce back into the fridges and freezers. if you think a diaper stinks, compost will stink worse than that, and meat and vegetables can stink worse than that!

this past week for example, apparently our trash pickup was delayed by a week, which resulted in the trash bin being filled all the way up to the 2nd floor or third floor refuse door access! that smell radiated from that particular floor all the way down from my apartment to the front door, and caused me to have to wonder if there was a problem with the trash system, or if the trash hauler had come to remove it:  According to the trash Company, they never picked up last week carmen which is why we're smelling garbage on Sunday: and my roommate was having trouble with his heat smelling like burnt chicken or some other type of funky smell, and we found out that the reason it stunk was because in his heaters there was a bunch of dust dirt dander and a bunch of junk in there that needed to be blasted with a can of air!

so to get to the point, no one should be required to have that is bright yellow that actually advertises what's in it, and the only people that should really care what's in that bin are the people that are wearing diapers are using diapers, and the hauler itself. if if somebody ends up finding out, well, that simply means that someone wears diapers: although I would not want to have one of those ugly looking yellow things in front of my house, if the necessary council cannot be convinced, I would just get yourself a red topped bin, and then tell them what that red bin is in it, and then they will remove it anyway. if the only reason that there's a problem is because they decide to use a yellow bin and put the word nappies on it, the easiest way to do that is to just put the yellow bin on and remove the word nappies only and use it that way, or change the top of the bin, as @Little SherriSuggested.

I would ask the following question: does it really matter what color the bin is as long as the Trash company knows what's in that bin! do they have to write the word nappies only on it? Does it have to be yellow, or can it just be a yellow top with nothing written on it and just have the recycling triangle on it as you would see on a US bin?

As Rusty says, I would provide the information that they request when they requested, and not before: I don't think it'd be a problem as far as the company goes think that putting in a yellow bin like that comment would be a problem. Hopefully, you are able to determine a way to around this yellow bin problem, because all you're basically doing is in an additional bin, and I don't see why it has to be yellow, because basically if you want to hide the fact that you're wearing diapers, you aren't gonna be able to hide it if it's in a bright yellow bin, any more than someone who could sneak into your house and you catch them red handed with their hand in a cookie jar and you yell aha I caught you! then you ask them what they're doing there and why they're trying to take your cookies he he he exclamation

Brian

Thanks @~Brian~ and it was my concern over disposal that delayed my going 247/7 previously. 

Everyone's response has reassured me im not mad for wanting discretion and it's something i will probably take up with the council. I just dont feel like a battle really....

2 hours ago, Hookedondiapers said:

I have considered getting the nappy bin, as my regular waste bin gets full and very heavy after two weeks.  I don't want my neighbors to know I wear nappies, but some of them probably know already.  I have never had an issue with the collectors, but often wonder what they must think.  I'm sure they have seen it all and don't really care.

So you're in exactly the same situation as me! I was sure I wasn't the only one ?

5 hours ago, Little Belle said:

Thanks @~Brian~ and it was my concern over disposal that delayed my going 247/7 previously. 

Everyone's response has reassured me im not mad for wanting discretion and it's something i will probably take up with the council. I just dont feel like a battle really....

@Little Belle

You're welcome! this situation can be a little nerve wracking, especially if you are trying to figure out how you're going to dispose of your incontinence products. I've always thought that the best way to handle this is to been like you said to someone who needs it, without advertising somebody somebody's need for these products! I know that people have to have diapers and they need to be able to use them, and the trash collector should not be concerned unless something is somehow dead how dangerous or biohazardous: the trash collector is supposed to collect trash, not analyze what is in the bins, and they shouldn't be and they probably wouldn't be who in their root is wearing diapers or who in their root is doing something else.  A trash haulers responsibility is to collect and move trash to either a dump or a recycling facility. if they can find a way to recycle disposable diapers for example, I would always think that that would be a good idea for an extra bin, but it wouldn't be a good idea to put Anything on this bin, or make it conspicuous. there are many ways that you can get a bin in my opinion that is different color, and no one really needs to know what's in it, because if the trash hauler for example knows that all yellow bins are for nappies, the people who stat bin probably know that as well, because the trash Holler will tell them that. I don't think anything should be marked nappies are diapers on the bin because then as you said, people would question it or probably have in their heads that they wonder why. Most neighbors are not gonna worry about whether you're wearing or not, so I wouldn't worry too much, but I would question it if somebody made a state A statement about it, because there are many people in the world as you know who are incontinent and use diapers every day. there are many aides out there that are actually helping people every day that are disabled and I'm willing to bet that they change enough diapers to know the difference. these are people are professionals and they would not disclose that fact to somebody else and less there was a reason and they had permission to do it. they simply do their job they put the nappies in the bins or in the trash shoots and they don't worry: they have a health of a lot of things that they have to do, so it's making diaper changes is nothing that they haven't done, and they have discretion not to disclose things that Things that they shouldn't comment because they can get trouble if they do.

There should always be discretion. I don't care what type of stuff that you deal with, but most times trash is trash, and that's the way it should be treated period to me, it doesn't really matter if it's diapers, if it's other incontinence products, if it's disposable gloves, or whatever it is that you get rid of. what if somebody was a nurse for example, and they were using these gloves? would somebody then say that somebody uses gloves and then broadcast it to everywhere saying: this person wears gloves this person wears gloves!

of course they wouldn't, because that is something that people would expect, because you can automatically tell somebody's using them, but the thing is the why: it's a trash hauler's responsibility to remove your trash, and be able to do it in a professional manner! sure, there's gonna be times one in a trash hauler s going to be getting rid of incontinence products, and maybe the bin will be a tad bit heavier than normal, but what I would do, is to put a bin out there that may have a different colored lid, or maybe a different color altogether, then I would end up designating that bin for whatever it is that they want to designate it Karma and leave off the nappy's only on the bin lid. the color the color alone made be the code or something that the company has decided to do, so they know what's in the bin, but why put the word nappy's only on it, because that's only going to cause an individual to know in the United Kingdom that someone in the house wears diapers. It's not a big deal to wear diapers, but the problem is is that people make it a big deal if they see a like that, And it makes them wonder who in the house would use a bin that color.

I applied you for wanting discretion! my contention is that the trash collector shouldn't worry about the anymore than someone else on the street worries about the bin color. If I hadn't been told by a United Kingdom resident, I would have not known that a yellow lid means that the bin is full of nappies. In the United States, there are plenty of different types of bins, their sizes, and maybe even colors, and we just take it as it comes, not worrying about the contents of such a bin or anything else. there's only one bin that I would be worried about, and that would be a bin that is clearly labeled, and I see it all all the time:

that bin is labeled as "BIOHAZARD"  when you see this bin Mark this way, and you also see the top, you know immediately What is in the bin. it is marked this way particularly because someone who is dealing with trash would automatically know that there is a possibility that something in that bin could be contaminated or that somebody could be contaminated if they start messing around in that bin. in this case, the word biohazard Automatically tells the person that is looking at that bin top or the word biohazard exactly what to expect when they open this bin. in this bin they might have some gloves they might have some sharps some syringes come, or anything else that might have blood Or waste on it that could be considered as a biohazard. the reason they mark up been like this is so that somebody does not hurt themselves or get hurt because they're messing in this bin. trash haulers half to know that because they don't want to end up getting them so sick.

In my house I have a blue bin, and I got that from the The local management district for waste. This bin is the one that I put all of my recyclables in, then when it's full, it goes downstairs and we have several large green and blue bins. These are zero sort recycling bins, because our waste management district has said that we can put anything and everything into the bin unless it is something that is non recyclable and then should be thrown away. Because I have dealt with many things in the thrift store and where we might have to recycle them, I have a list of those available, and can go to that website and pull that list at any time, because it can change in a minute! it is always important to recycle or to be able to deal with trash Disposal responsibly. it is also responsible And recommended that anyone wearing incontinence briefs or using incontinence products also use this discretion. just like you wouldn't go walking downtown in just a diaper with no shirt on a hot day, you certainly wouldn't want to advertise what it is that you're putting into the bins.

I'm sure most people won't even care, and that is part of the problem: people shouldn't care what you're throwing into your bins, and they should know that there's a reason why people are doing this. it's not like somebody stealing $1000 and putting $1000 Bill's into the bin every day, and then someone says something doesn't seem right here. A diaper is someone's underwear, the only difference is you're throwing it in a Bin so the trash collector can get it and take care of it properly. if someone had a baby, they could throw a bunch of diapers into a bin and on it be the wiser, they would just say someone has a baby in the house, but how many trash haulers are going to actually go into the bin and start looking around and start asked questions? they won't! the only thing that may happen is that as you said, people may end up saying: this person wears diapers, which is so that should be considered normal, and no one should be making a big deal about it.

As I said before in my building there are probably people between the ages of 20 and 90. during my 27 years of residents, I have seen many diapers around here around here, and nobody makes a big deal about nobody says anything.  I even asked the director of maintenance what I can with my disposal of my briefs, because I wanted to make sure that these things were going to be not causing a problem in the compactor. He told me that the bag I was using would be fine, and it is thinner than a regular household trash bag. The only thing I've got to be careful of is the fact that the thing is heavy, and could always rip very easily cause you can put a hole in it without too much difficulty. my point here is is that everybody throws trash into that compactor, and everybody uses that compactor on all of the five floors in my building, and I don't think anybody would make would make a big deal out of somebody wearing diapers, but I'm sure the BHA knows people wear diapers, and they know that they're going to be dealing with it, but they are professional individuals who would not disclose something something like this! the only time they would go into the bin or investigate something as if they found something in the compactor or in the dumpsters that would cause them concern. if that was the case, probably a notice would go out to the entire building or buildings depending on what the situation is, telling them that such and such an article is no longer to be put into The trash bins. they do this with stuff like cat litter needles boxes et cetera. They want this stuff brought downstairs and put next to our boiler room call: then they Will take care of it.

I wouldn't worry too much: I would end up doing what you think is right! in my in my case, wearing diapers is the best thing that could happen to me, and I have not been asked by anyone else to do anything else with my diapers come because I am open and honest with the landlords, so they know what is going on, and I'm doing it only because I do not want to cause a problem for the trash The trash collectors here, or cause damage to the compactor system so that they have to have it repaired. that is also a responsibility of the tenants. You don't want to put broom handles or anything down the chute that would end up hindering it or causing an issue, cause one guy will have to go into the shoots themselves and clean out the entire shoe all the way from 5 down to one, because we have five floors! I would just note that you want to be able to make sure that whatever you're throwing away doesn't weigh a lot of pounds because then you or your partner may not be able to move the bin to wherever it is supposed to be whenever the trash hauler is supposed to Come in and take care of the trash.

Good Luck!

Brian

Fortunately where we live our garbage cans are picked up by an automatic garbage truck.  Truck pulls up beside the bin and picks it up and dumps it in the back.  I've got no problem throwing diapers out when everything about the collection of trash is automated.

• Like 1

in my part of the states, garbage collection is a monopoly, contracted by each municipality. For example, trash collection in my town is collected by the township DPW and recycling is collected by the city that a majority of us in my town want to live in.

My previous residence, Waste Management was contracted to pick up certain recycling and trash.  Other recycling, you had to drive 20 miles to drop it off yourself

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Little Belle said:

So you're in exactly the same situation as me! I was sure I wasn't the only one ?

I have been 24/7 for over five years now and have had many conversations with neighbors while gardening in front of my house with a nappy on under my shorts.  People either don't notice or are too polite to mention it.  As far as the bin collectors go, I often think they give the new person on the truck my bin just to see them struggle with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m watching this thread nervously.  In quite a few of the trendier, latte-sipping councils down here the standard rubbish bin has been massively downsized as a “green initiative” (BS – this is about saving money).

You wind up with pixie-sized micro-bins that would be just perfect for discarding the non-recyclable twist ties so despicably used on the goat’s cheese hessian bags or perhaps even the odd pamper or two for those days where the bamboo nappies are all in the bio-degradable wash.

In one such council area I visited a house that accommodated an elderly relative with dementia.  Consequentially, she was in full-time nappies.

The council in question had provided a similar solution.  A special “bio-hazard” bin that was bright red.  They might as well have put up a neon sign.

So far (mercifully) we still have the old style 240 litre uber-bin that you could stuff dead relatives into.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/16/2022 at 7:50 AM, Little Belle said:

Isn't that really bad that the council haven't thought through that people may want to be more private than that? Or am I just being over sensitive?

Maybe it's time to just go with the flow. This is your council exposing your incontinence to the public. It's not that you asked for attention. And why should you be ashamed of that? I presume incontinence is something you didn't ask for, it just happened to you. Of course you have to wear diapers to keep yourself dry on the outside, people wouldn't like to see you wetting yourself in front of them, would they? And you have to leave your used diapers somewhere, right? I think if you show that incontinence is not a problem for you, most people will accept it. If not, well that is their problem. Diapers don't change the person that you were before they found out about your incontinence.

Be strong, be proud of who you are, accept your incontinence as a special feature of your body and your diapers are just a special garment you choose to wear in order to live your life to the fullest. Just like a prosthetic leg for an amputee or a wheelchair for a paraplegic. in this life you have been given a special challenge to reach your maximum potential. And when you do, the reward will be even greater.

• Like 1

Hopefully my last comments. Many people have posted their own ideas and how they don't care, wear diapers under their cloths in front of neighbors and advocate just not being bothered and if people know, so they know.  Original Poster doesn't want everyone to know.  That is the point of her post, asking for help.  "As a 24/7 wearer, responsible and discreet disposal of my nappies is something I've been concerned about for months".  "We're a friendly street in the middle of a housing estate and everyone knows everyone. Everyone also knows that there are no babies living at our house, so if we get a nappy bin which we have to leave out on bin day, EVERYONE who passes our house will know that either me or my partner is wearing nappies."  Since it is her concern not to be found out by others in the neighborhood that someone in the house wears diapers, rather than just suggest that she not worry about her neighbors finding out and just embrace her diaper wearing, I think it would be more beneficial to offer suggestions on how to keep everyone from finding out there is a diaper wearer in her home where there are no babies.

Again, my previous post has to do with not saying anything to anyone about how heavy your trash bin is unless the trash pick-up people say something to you first.  Wait for them to say something to you, and if they don't, there is no problem, period!  I'm sure there are many many other very heavy trash containers on their daily routes that they deal with every day.

• Like 2
On 11/16/2022 at 7:50 AM, Little Belle said:

Isn't that really bad that the council haven't thought through that people may want to be more private than that? Or am I just being over sensitive?

@rusty pinsThis closing part made me think that TS was also wondering if her oversensitivity is causing her to worry about the ramifications of the council's decision. Living with a big secret can make life very difficult, so I encouraged her to own her incontinence and no longer try to hide it at all costs.

• Like 1

We have wheelie bins where I live. For clarity, does the garbage truck have an arm the extends to pick up the bin and empty it into the truck? If so, I would not have any concerns about the weight of the used products.

Now, if emptying the bins is done by humans, yes, I understand your concerns.

12 hours ago, oznl said:

I’m watching this thread nervously.  In quite a few of the trendier, latte-sipping councils down here the standard rubbish bin has been massively downsized as a “green initiative” (BS – this is about saving money).

You wind up with pixie-sized micro-bins that would be just perfect for discarding the non-recyclable twist ties so despicably used on the goat’s cheese hessian bags or perhaps even the odd pamper or two for those days where the bamboo nappies are all in the bio-degradable wash.

In one such council area I visited a house that accommodated an elderly relative with dementia.  Consequentially, she was in full-time nappies.

The council in question had provided a similar solution.  A special “bio-hazard” bin that was bright red.  They might as well have put up a neon sign.

So far (mercifully) we still have the old style 240 litre uber-bin that you could stuff dead relatives into.

That's shocking - it's smacks of a general sense within our cultures of the unimportance and irrelevance of elderly people (don't get me started!). In some cultures, the elders are treated as the wise people who deserve the utmost respect but in the UK and Oz we just seem to disregard their dignity. The BioHazard bright red or yellow bins although half a world apart are basically the same thoughtless solution to a problem which by and large is a problem for the older generations. 

7 hours ago, cathdiap said:

Maybe it's time to just go with the flow. This is your council exposing your incontinence to the public. It's not that you asked for attention. And why should you be ashamed of that? I presume incontinence is something you didn't ask for, it just happened to you. Of course you have to wear diapers to keep yourself dry on the outside, people wouldn't like to see you wetting yourself in front of them, would they? And you have to leave your used diapers somewhere, right? I think if you show that incontinence is not a problem for you, most people will accept it. If not, well that is their problem. Diapers don't change the person that you were before they found out about your incontinence.

Be strong, be proud of who you are, accept your incontinence as a special feature of your body and your diapers are just a special garment you choose to wear in order to live your life to the fullest. Just like a prosthetic leg for an amputee or a wheelchair for a paraplegic. in this life you have been given a special challenge to reach your maximum potential. And when you do, the reward will be even greater.

You know I really like this concept and I do think you have a great argument- if we can't normalise IC then it will always be stigmatised. However, I'm maybe just not ready for being a trailblazer on this yet.... And crucially, it would require my other half to feel comfortable with the bin too and he's 20 years older than me so it would be reasonable for neighbours to actually assume it's him that is IC rather than me.

It's one thing for me to be okay with everyone knowing that I piss my pants, but it's an entirely different thing for him to be comfortable with everyone thinking he does when he doesn't! 

• Like 1