LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

I told my doctor about incontinent desires, diapers, and I asked her for help to get surgery.

Ferix

1 hour ago, Babyqtboy said:

According to the DSM V, it’s a mental disorder that falls under body dysmorphia. CBT could treat the underlying issues but ultimately the desires will always be there. The goal of therapy at this point would be to get the person to learn how to live with these desires in a healthy and productive way 

I read all the symptoms & I’ve never had symptoms like that. I can say that had I never allowed myself to become dual incontinent I wouldn’t be productive at all due to the compelling desire which was constant. Today it’s just a part of normal life. It’s nice not to have any nagging desire.

I’m sure that there are many that have no understanding of this particular desire. It’s not just a surface itch. It’s a lot deeper than that. It can and will be consuming. It became abundantly clear to me when I became urinary incontinent  that I needed to be bowel incontinent as well. I fought that for a couple of years. Then I decided I’d just cave in. It was better than a 1 year journey to get to a point where a BM was no longer voluntary. It became involuntary. If I could have had some type of surgery to make that happen faster I most certainly would have. I’ve no regrets. 
That’s the beauty of Daily Diapers. It’s a place where like minded people can converse hopefully without attack.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, incondl said:

I read all the symptoms & I’ve never had symptoms like that. I can say that had I never allowed myself to become dual incontinent I wouldn’t be productive at all due to the compelling desire which was constant. Today it’s just a part of normal life. It’s nice not to have any nagging desire.

I’m sure that there are many that have no understanding of this particular desire. It’s not just a surface itch. It’s a lot deeper than that. It can and will be consuming. It became abundantly clear to me when I became urinary incontinent  that I needed to be bowel incontinent as well. I fought that for a couple of years. Then I decided I’d just cave in. It was better than a 1 year journey to get to a point where a BM was no longer voluntary. It became involuntary. If I could have had some type of surgery to make that happen faster I most certainly would have. I’ve no regrets. 
That’s the beauty of Daily Diapers. It’s a place where like minded people can converse hopefully without attack.

No judgment here, not my thing but I definitely understand those in this community that are drawn to it. As a psychologist, I was only stating what the clinical and professional opinion would be. The DSM is very clear that everything included in it is really only a mental problem when it interferes with normal life. There are millions of people who have all the symptoms of alcoholism that wouldn’t garner a diagnosis because they are in control of it, not the other way around 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, incondl said:

Isn’t the extremely powerful desire to become incontinent a disability of some sort? 

You're right. I have talked to medical professionals about my incontinent desires, as described in this thread. I have been diagnosed with BDD, body dysmorphic disorder; My incontinent desires stem from a medical disorder.

I have lived with incontinent desires all my life so I don't consider it to be a disability, I consider it to be part of my identity. I love who I am and I know it's 100% okay to wear diapers and have incontinent desires.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Babyqtboy said:

No judgment here, not my thing but I definitely understand those in this community that are drawn to it. As a psychologist, I was only stating what the clinical and professional opinion would be. The DSM is very clear that everything included in it is really only a mental problem when it interferes with normal life. There are millions of people who have all the symptoms of alcoholism that wouldn’t garner a diagnosis because they are in control of it, not the other way around 

Thanks for the information! I can safely say that it doesn’t interfere with my life. It enhances it.

2 hours ago, incondl said:

Can you elaborate more about how the desire to become duel incontinent came about?   Was it always there even when you had bladder control? 

I’m far along when it comes to urinary incontinence.  My bowel control is good enough, though I have noticed a slight deterioration.  I’ve gone “full 24/7” for a few weeks at a time, so I’m no stranger to messing.  However I don’t have a strong desire to be bowel incontinent.  

What worries me is that I said the exact same thing about never wanting to be diaper dependent before I untrained. ?

5 minutes ago, incondl said:

Thanks for the information! I can safely say that it doesn’t interfere with my life. It enhances it.

I should clarify that when the DSM talks about interfering with normal life functions, they mean things like it causes the patient to inflict  self harm or self mutilation, depression or anxiety that interrupts work or social life, or the inability to take care of one’s self due to being hyper focused or obsessively fixated on the one thing.  Infantilism and gender dysmorphia are actually in the DSM but not generally viewed as mental illnesses because most people live normal healthy lives outside of those desires 

5 minutes ago, Enthusi said:

Can you elaborate more about how the desire to become duel incontinent came about?   Was it always there even when you had bladder control? 

I’m far along when it comes to urinary incontinence.  My bowel control is good enough, though I have noticed a slight deterioration.  I’ve gone “full 24/7” for a few weeks at a time, so I’m no stranger to messing.  However I don’t have a strong desire to be bowel incontinent.  

What worries me is that I said the exact same thing about never wanting to be diaper dependent before I untrained. ?

Sure… I became urinary incontinent due to a accident years ago. Never had a desire to be and didn’t have good insurance to be practiced on. After learning how to live with that the desire for dual became stronger & stronger. The first time I just let go it was like the weight of the world was off my shoulders. From there I just kept letting go whenever the feeling struck. Each time was just as good as the first time so I kept doing it until it just started happening automatically. That took better than a year as I remember. Today it just happens 1 or 2 times per day and it really doesn’t cross my mind unless I think about it. It is just normal now and I don’t stress about it like I used to. 

As has been said, this isn't the thread for it, but I would posit one more argument against "people with incontinence desires appropriating and making life difficult for the physiologically incontinent", my argument being that the existence of a wider audience for these products is largely behind the proliferation of options now available. In past decades, the medical offerings were largely dismal and designed to please the payer, who frequently wasn't the one wearing the product. The products all whispered of disability and impending doom. Now, there are some excellent products on the market. Further, it isn't accurate to assume that "ABDL" products are being consumed only by "ABDL people" - I have met some physiologically incontinent people here who appreciate a bit of whimsey in their underwear options. Are they also giving themselves, and by extension the community, a bad name somehow, if they like printed diapers? I think not. 

Certainly, any idiot who engages in exhibitionism, deliberately subjecting strangers to disturbing sights or situations, because it pleases them to do so, is a pox on the wider community. But most people who want to go about their business, wearing diapers for whatever reason they're doing so, are not doing anyone any harm (other than maybe their pocketbooks), and I don't think they're somehow bringing disrepute down on everyone who needs to wear protective undergarments. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Little Sherri Good points! 

I’m of the opinion that most people, aka everyone else on the planet except those of us here, would unanimously agree that incontinence is a terrible, embarrassing, isolating, and overall undesirable condition.  In other words,  I don’t think that people who are incontinent due to medical reasons have to worry about ABDLs and those of us here who desire and even glamorize incontinence.   The vast, vast, vast, vast majority of humans would still agree that incontinence sucks. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Ferix said:

It can happen here too. There's plenty of others that have expressed their opinions in this thread.

Ooh!  That sounds like an invitation ?

23 hours ago, Kawaharu said:

Stop appropriating other people's disability 

I find the “crime” of cultural appropriation to have a fairly questionable validity as such but I’m not sure we need to even go down that rabbit hole because incontinence isn’t culture.

To solve this obvious barrier-to-taking-offense, the ever-versatile arguer has, with a few keystrokes, annexed “condition” to the whole rickety construct to create a brand new field of thought-crime: “condition appropriation”.  (I’ve used the verb “annexed”, some might say it was “appropriated” but I could not possibly comment ?)

Appropriation in this context is a synonym for “theft”.  The idea that incontinence is a finite resource that is “owned, and thus if “taken” by others is some kind of moral crime by which a victim is somehow impoverished appears nonsensical.

Are people who refuse to eat nuts “condition appropriating” those who suffer from a nut allergy?

Whilst not wishing to resort to ad hominem argument, it might be worth having a quick look at the arguer’s profile to get some glimpse into the consistency of her posture with respect to ABDL and even incontinence desires.

And now it’s time for me to find my sombrero, I have a tequila party to attend (bonus points if you can spot the link here)…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, oznl said:

Whilst not wishing to resort to ad hominem argument, it might be worth having a quick look at the arguer’s profile to get some glimpse into the consistency of her posture with respect to ABDL and even incontinence desires.

I agree. Go see what was on arguer's public feed. Someone had made a comment on her profile, parroting what she said to me but instead saying "Stop appropriating abdl culture.  Its offensive when incontinent people pretend to be abdl.  It trivialises what abdl's go through"

What is upsetting to me is literally 3 moderators, @DailyDi @spoonchicken@Elfy, came to her (the arguer's) defense, one saying the following:

"We all walk our own paths in life, and no one is an island (although it may feel that way sometimes). To accuse someone of cultural appropriation strikes me as ignorant. All cultures overlap and share many things. What you call cultural appropriation, I call being open-minded about news things. New things, new peoples, new attitudes, new anything, really. Will you accuse me of the same simply for enjoying Italian food when I'm not of Italian descent? Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations, my friend ! 

That's the first point to be made. The second is this...

Your demeanor and choice of words are borderline harassment of a member here. That will not be easily tolerated. Differences of opinion are one thing, and that's cool, but your posts on this topic have been saturated with a lack of mutual respect. Speaking as a member of the Admin Team, I seriously advise you to either "tone it down", or just keep it to yourself. Believe me, we don't like Karens here."

Where are the harsh words from the mods towards the arguer? I presume this is an oversight and not a double standard against me and those of us with incontinence desires.

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Ferix said:

What is upsetting to me is literally 3 moderators, @DailyDi @spoonchicken@Elfy, came to her (the arguer's) defense, one saying the following:

I saw that.  I think the whole thing fell down a TLDR crevasse and those respondents didn't get a chance to see the precipitating context or the humorous irony inherent in the comment made.  There was another thread under similar fire and a mod shut her down fairly smartly there.  I wouldn't worry about it.

I still would be genuinely interested in hearing a (rational) argument for her claim though!

• 2 months later...

I know you took offense to somebody pointing this out before, but i'd simply not feel right if i didn't.

forced "treatments", even up to involuntary commitment to a psych hospital is a real risk here. i'm not at all saying that should be done to you, i disagree with that ever being done. but it absolutely is. I see you are in america, the same as me. you do not understand how dangerous the mental health industry can get here. as somebody who lost their significant other because of this industry...I have done way more studying about the darker side of things here than is healthy.

it is SHOCKINGLY easy to force people into long-term situations. do you "officially" count as somebody who would have this done to them, as according to the dsm? no, probably not? but it's not like there's cameras operating here, friend. there are no objective legal standards as to when these things can be done, is the issue. it ultimately is in large part up to the discretion of psychiatrists/therapists you speak to whether or not they want to put you in a very bad situation. you speak to the wrong person about this, and that's it. you have been fortunate to run into decent people so far, but i'd be careful about pushing my luck too far. once you are in this situation...things spiral from there. it rarely stops at just a one-time 3 day imprisonment. 

nobody likes being told by a stranger that they know better what they're getting into than them. but you don't understand. I swear i don't mean it as disrespectful, but you can take it that way if you want i guess.

your courage to pursue your desires in an official capacity is inspiring, and I love reading your updates. don't get me wrong, your identity and feelings are 100% valid. I support your journey fully. but I also worry for you, as you think you're safer than you really are.

I'm not telling you what to do, i just want you to be aware of the risks, so whatever decision you make going forward is an informed one.

• Confused 2
On 6/25/2022 at 9:36 AM, meeko313 said:

I know you took offense to somebody pointing this out before, but i'd simply not feel right if i didn't.

Where did I take offense? I speak from experience and will respond with what I know.

forced "treatments", even up to involuntary commitment to a psych hospital is a real risk here. i'm not at all saying that should be done to you, i disagree with that ever being done. but it absolutely is.

My experience includes working 15 years as an EMT and 5 of those years working in the mental health court that was responsible for admitting patients against their will. I have sat through hundreds of court cases so I know a lot about the legal thresholds that are required that must be breached to hold someone against their will in a mental hospital. The person must show that they are: a danger to themselves; a danger to others; gravely disabled. You can see a more detailed explanation here. Please explain how I breach those thresholds and how it is that none of the 7 doctors I have talked to about this specifically made an attempt to commit me involuntarily.

I see you are in america, the same as me. you do not understand how dangerous the mental health industry can get here. as somebody who lost their significant other because of this industry...I have done way more studying about the darker side of things here than is healthy.

I'm sorry you lost a significant other. You're not really providing any information other than an ominous warning without any information backing your statement up.

it is SHOCKINGLY easy to force people into long-term situations.

No it's not. It may seem easy to put someone on a 72 hour hold if they show that they are a danger to self, others, or gravely disabled, but that requires a mental health professional or a police officer and it usually involves some sort of crisis that calls the authorities there. Anything longer requires a court order. I have not breached any of the thresholds.

do you "officially" count as somebody who would have this done to them, as according to the dsm? no, probably not? but it's not like there's cameras operating here, friend.

What's your point? Why call me a friend with such condescending tone?

there are no objective legal standards as to when these things can be done, is the issue.

You're wrong: There are legal standards. I literally worked in one of the largest psychiatric court in the USA for 5 years. I know the thresholds as stated above. You'd be surprised that there are quite a few people with severe mental health disorders living their lives not in involuntary confinement.

it ultimately is in large part up to the discretion of psychiatrists/therapists you speak to whether or not they want to put you in a very bad situation.

This is true for long term involuntary treatments. They would have to prove that the legal threshold to hold someone against their will is met. Have I met those?

you speak to the wrong person about this, and that's it. you have been fortunate to run into decent people so far, but i'd be careful about pushing my luck too far. once you are in this situation...things spiral from there. it rarely stops at just a one-time 3 day imprisonment. 

This is another ominous warning without any supportive evidence.

nobody likes being told by a stranger that they know better what they're getting into than them. but you don't understand. I swear i don't mean it as disrespectful, but you can take it that way if you want i guess.

I don't mean any disrespect, but you have not demonstrated any knowledge that is based on evidence.

your courage to pursue your desires in an official capacity is inspiring, and I love reading your updates.

Thank you.

don't get me wrong, your identity and feelings are 100% valid. I support your journey fully. but I also worry for you, as you think you're safer than you really are.

Okay?

I'm not telling you what to do, i just want you to be aware of the risks, so whatever decision you make going forward is an informed one.

You have not informed me of the risks, you've only given vague ominous warnings.

Lets say I want to warn you about the risks of riding a bike. It would not be very effective or convincing if I simply said: "I lost a loved one who was riding a bike. You may cause permanent injury to yourself if you ride a bike, friend" without explaining why those things happen or what can be done to make riding a bike safer. This sort of warning would not show that I am knowledgeable about riding bikes or the risks, in similar ways that you have not informed me the risks of my actions.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ferix said:

Where did I take offense? I speak from experience and will respond with what I know.

My experience includes working 15 years as an EMT and 5 of those years working in the mental health court that was responsible for admitting patients against their will. I have sat through hundreds of court cases so I know a lot about the legal thresholds that are required that must be breached to hold someone against their will in a mental hospital. The person must show that they are: a danger to themselves; a danger to others; gravely disabled. You can see a more detailed explanation here. Please explain how I breach those thresholds and how it is that none of the 7 doctors I have talked to about this specifically made an attempt to commit me involuntarily.

I'm sorry you lost a significant other. You're not really providing any information other than an ominous warning without any information backing your statement up.

No it's not. It may seem easy to put someone on a 72 hour hold if they show that they are a danger to self, others, or gravely disabled, but that requires a mental health professional or a police officer and it usually involves some sort of crisis that calls the authorities there. Anything longer requires a court order. I have not breached any of the thresholds.

What's your point? Why call me a friend with such condescending tone?

You're wrong: There are legal standards. I literally worked in one of the largest psychiatric court in the USA for 5 years. I know the thresholds as stated above. You'd be surprised that there are quite a few people with severe mental health disorders living their lives not in involuntary confinement.

This is true for long term involuntary treatments. They would have to prove that the legal threshold to hold someone against their will is met. Have I met those?

This is another ominous warning without any supportive evidence.

I don't mean any disrespect, but you have not demonstrated any knowledge that is based on evidence.

Thank you.

Okay?

You have not informed me of the risks, you've only given vague ominous warnings.

Lets say I want to warn you about the risks of riding a bike. It would not be very effective or convincing if I simply said: "I lost a loved one who was riding a bike. You may cause permanent injury to yourself if you ride a bike, friend" without explaining why those things happen or what can be done to make riding a bike safer. This sort of warning would not show that I am knowledgeable about riding bikes or the risks, in similar ways that you have not informed me the risks of my actions.

"a danger to themselves, to others, or gravely disabled" are all subjective, undefinable terms. what one considers "dangerous" varies massively from individual to individual. how dangerous, exactly? there's no mathematical, empirical standard here. laws related to "mental health" are the most vague, interpretable nonsense in the entire legal system. and that source you linked confirms as much to me once again. most people committed against their will are perfectly functional. do you deny that? like, even britney spears was a slave for 13 years lol. you're utterly ignorant if you think only extreme cases result in people's rights being stripped in various ways. you would have seen countless of examples to the contrary if you actually worked in the industry as you say you did. what exactly do you want, a 400 page essay reviewing dozens of cases and citing hundreds of legal documents? of course i summarized and made it "vague". this isn't a debate, just a warning from my own experience. that's what the site is about, right? sharing our experiences? i'm not gonna prove anything to you, and i don't expect you to prove anything you've said either.

actively trying to damage your body, and pursue a risky and unfounded surgery is obviously dangerous. you've even mentioned infections from this interest, have you not? i don't know how you could work on cases like these and not know these things. i'm gonna have to say you're making it up honestly. those 7 doctors were decent people, only monsters do this to people. but they exist. discount my personal experience if you want i guess. stay in denial forever. statistically, it's rare. but it sucks to see you denying even the possibility. my conscious is clear, i tried to warn you.

you are beyond needlessly hostile and aggressive, i do not know why. but you clearly have no intention of being told anything. i have zero doubt nothing i could link or cite would make you budge. it's just been debate debate debate every time anybody's mentioned any concern of any kind. so i'm done here.

• Confused 4

I have been reading these comments on this post for awhile.  And I am going to speak my mind who in the hell cares what @Ferix wants to do.  It is his body and if he wants to do it then let him.  He is paying for it.  And as for the consent I am not sure why one would need to speak to a mental health person.  The only reason that the doctor sent him to one of those wackjobs is to have them convince him not to do it.

If Ferix signs a agreement not to sue the doctors for any wrong doing.  Then there is no reason why they can not do it.  Of course he would need a lawyer to write it up and both sign it together with a witness.

It is a shame that there are people out there who shame others for wanting to do things to them selves it is their body not the doctors or mental health person not anyone in here not mine.  Nor anyones it is ferix body and he should be able to do as he wishs.

• Like 3

Ok, I found this thread because I posted a question about this issue on the DL forum. 

But this isn't about that -for now. 

@Ferix I've read all your posts in this thread and I wonder why you haven't seem to try a "modified"  foley cath?

I'm incontinent. Been that way for about 20 years from an accident. There was a period where I could not release my bladder and had to have a number of emergency caths until I learned how to do that myself. The caths worked and it wasn't a constant thing so I didn't pursue any surgical solutions. 

But what I DID do was modify a Foley Cath to do what you want.

Wearing a Foley is not comfortable. So I asked myself, what if it ended inside my urinary tract and just drained the last bit thru my penis? So that's what I worked on. It took a number of tries to get it right so that the cut end would retain the water in the balloon over a week and most important, the end of the tube would not irritate the urethrae. The trick was to get it to stay far enough inside not to move as much but just enough where I could push back enough to get to the tip and cut off the plug when it was time to remove it. 

This worked very well and for a period of about 5 months, I used an indwelling 5CC (10CC actually) Foley that I practically didn't feel except in very rare case. It was easy to completely forget I had it in. 

Oh and I heard you could get pretty much any surgery you want done in Puerto Rico. But I don't know if thats an urban legend or not. And about 15+ years ago one guy said he paid a veterinarian student a few hundred bucks to do the Botox treatment a number of times until the incontinence became permanent.  Of course like most of these stories I'm pretty sure it was a fabrication. But then again who really knows?

I suggest you find a way to fix your idea that you want to be incontinent. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Aside from the hassle, I've spent well over $20K on diapers and supplies since the accident.

Twenty thousand dollars literally PISSED away. If that was in my portfolio, it would be well over $250K. 

On 7/4/2022 at 4:21 PM, ThomasInWVa said:

@Ferix I've read all your posts in this thread and I wonder why you haven't seem to try a "modified"  foley cath?

I'm incontinent. Been that way for about 20 years from an accident. There was a period where I could not release my bladder and had to have a number of emergency caths until I learned how to do that myself. The caths worked and it wasn't a constant thing so I didn't pursue any surgical solutions. 

But what I DID do was modify a Foley Cath to do what you want.

Wearing a Foley is not comfortable. So I asked myself, what if it ended inside my urinary tract and just drained the last bit thru my penis? So that's what I worked on. It took a number of tries to get it right so that the cut end would retain the water in the balloon over a week and most important, the end of the tube would not irritate the urethrae. The trick was to get it to stay far enough inside not to move as much but just enough where I could push back enough to get to the tip and cut off the plug when it was time to remove it. 

This worked very well and for a period of about 5 months, I used an indwelling 5CC (10CC actually) Foley that I practically didn't feel except in very rare case. It was easy to completely forget I had it in.  

I have made modified foley catheters and I've made several different designs, one of which was doing something similar to what you've done by cutting it and plugging the hole so the balloon stays inflated. I found this method unreliable as I would experience the balloon deflating and the setup was tricky.

I am currently building up the courage to try another design that involves stainless steel parts and silicone tubing. I hope to be trying out this design soon.image.thumb.jpeg.0091577fe1e03029ca7593bb40a53811.jpeg

Oh and I heard you could get pretty much any surgery you want done in Puerto Rico. But I don't know if thats an urban legend or not. And about 15+ years ago one guy said he paid a veterinarian student a few hundred bucks to do the Botox treatment a number of times until the incontinence became permanent.  Of course like most of these stories I'm pretty sure it was a fabrication. But then again who really knows?

I've heard rumors similar to this. Maybe they are true, maybe not. I'd certainly be up for surgery if it were possible to do it safely. With the surgeon I spoke to, they warned that if both sphincter muscles were removed, the prostate would eventually need to be removed as well due to the prostate swelling and causing urine blockage; that's not something I'm interested in doing and could put my heath at risk.

I suggest you find a way to fix your idea that you want to be incontinent. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Aside from the hassle, I've spent well over $20K on diapers and supplies since the accident.

Twenty thousand dollars literally PISSED away. If that was in my portfolio, it would be well over $250K. 

A long time ago I would have wished that If I could turn the urge off, I would. It's not something that's been easy to accept about myself but when I did, it was the best thing I ever did for me. Embracing who I am has been liberating and puts me at peace, the associated costs of products are inconsequential.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Ferix said:

I have made modified foley catheters and I've made several different designs, one of which was doing something similar to what you've done by cutting it and plugging the hole so the balloon stays inflated. I found this method unreliable as I would experience the balloon deflating and the setup was tricky.

I am currently building up the courage to try another design that involves stainless steel parts and silicone tubing. I hope to be trying out this design soon.image.thumb.jpeg.0091577fe1e03029ca7593bb40a53811.jpeg

I've heard rumors similar to this. Maybe they are true, maybe not. I'd certainly be up for surgery if it were possible to do it safely. With the surgeon I spoke to, they warned that if both sphincter muscles were removed, the prostate would eventually need to be removed as well due to the prostate swelling and causing urine blockage; that's not something I'm interested in doing and could put my heath at risk.

A long time ago I would have wished that If I could turn the urge off, I would. It's not something that's been easy to accept about myself but when I did, it was the best thing I ever did for me. Embracing who I am has been liberating and puts me at peace, the associated costs of products are inconsequential.

Out of curiosity, can you link us those stainless steel "bulbs"/ends or tell us what sort of part they are so we can find them? I like your design a lot and I think it could work for me. Thanks!

17 hours ago, jonbearab said:

Out of curiosity, can you link us those stainless steel "bulbs"/ends or tell us what sort of part they are so we can find them? I like your design a lot and I think it could work for me. Thanks!

They are parts taken from urethral sounds that I purchased off of eBay. The vendor is out of stock, plus it took them 6 months and 2 tries to send me some successfully.

46 minutes ago, tin_o_nuts said:

Unless you could get them to remove the magnetic plug which seems extremely unlikely you would be accomplishing the opposite of the goal with that device

Or just skip the last step and leave it open?

12 hours ago, jonbearab said:

Or just skip the last step and leave it open?

Yeah, that's sort of the key.

I mentioned a different 'smart' catheter that can do precisely that... and this stent looks similar, only it's designed to not need regular replacement.

Essentially, for both you use an externally applied magnetic field to open or close it.  There doesn't appear to be a mechanical reason why you couldn't just leave it open though.  It also seems like something that a medical professional would be far more likely to approve, given that it's wholly reversible.