LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Diapers or nappies?

This is a question for people who grew up in countries like the UK or Australia, where people say “nappies” instead of “diapers”. My question is: what is your word of choice? Do you wear “diapers” or “nappies”? And why?

Personally I am in the “diaper” camp even though I live in a country where they are known as nappies. I don’t know exactly why.  I would guess that it is because when I first discovered internet sites devoted to our fetish, they were American and so referred to them as diapers.  I guess I got used to it and now it feels weird to say “nappies”.

• Like 2

@DailyDi

a diaper is considered to be a " babies breechcloth". It is also a "a linen or cotton fabric woven in a repeating pattern of small diamonds".  In the United states, if I went to an eatery, an ordering something to eat, I would grab the paper thing that is underneath my forks knives and spoons, and put that on my lap: that is what an American calls a "Napkin". If I were to go to visit someone like @Elfy And ask him for a napkin, I would end up getting a diaper. I'm not sure exactly what you would ask for in England or in the United Kingdom if you wanted something to wipe your face with?

If I'm talking to someone from the United Kingdom, I know exactly what they're talking about when they use the word nappies. I can go either way depending on who I am speaking with but I usually say diaper

Brian

Edited by ~Brian~
word edits
  • Like 1

Both if I asked  or told it’s normally nappies or nappy as my daddy will say is your nappy wet before he checks 

but if I writing it’s normally diapers 

• Like 2

I ALWAYS HATED the word "nappies." I ALWAYS prefer the word "Diapers." A and I ALWAYS wished we took a page out of the UK's book and kept our children in diapees for a LOT LONGER than Americans do. That way they could turn out just like us and LOVE their diapees as MUCH as WE DO!!!!!????????????????♥️ And give those parents HELL! LOL!?????????? "Diaper" sounds WAY MORE babyish then "Nappy" anyway!!!!!?????♥️??♥️????????️‍?????????♥️?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ~Brian~ said:

@DailyDi

a diaper is considered to be a " babies breechcloth". It is also a "a linen or cotton fabric woven in a repeating pattern of small diamonds".  In the United states, if I went to an eatery, an ordering something to eat, I would grab the paper thing that is underneath my forks knives and spoons, and put that on my lap: that is what an American calls a "Napkin". If I were to go to visit someone like @Elfy And ask him for a napkin, I would end up getting a diaper. I'm not sure exactly what you would ask for in England or in the United Kingdom if you wanted something to wipe your face with?

If I'm talking to someone from the United Kingdom, I know exactly what they're talking about when they use the word nappies. I can go either way depending on who I am speaking with but I usually say diaper

Brian

Actually if you asked for a napkin in the UK then you would be handed a napkin, ie a piece of cloth that protects your clothing. The word nappy comes from napkin, i know its confusing, its very English.

Also the word diaper comes from the pattern of small diamonds ( as Brian states ) ie diagonaly opposed lines. So both words are English in origin.

For me it has to be nappy cause thats what babies wear, ie a piece of cloth that protects your clothing. :baby_smiley3:

Maly.

• Like 1

Yes, diaper comes from the fabric, Middle English from the French and the Greek.   First use for infant's breechcloth in 1616 (Shakespeare uses it in the Taming of the Shrew), but came into more popular use in the US in the mid-1800s, where as the British in the same time period used napkin, shortened to nappy.  Napkin again came from the French word for tablecloth.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, willnotwill said:

Yes, diaper comes from the fabric, Middle English from the French and the Greek.   First use for infant's breechcloth in 1616 (Shakespeare uses it in the Taming of the Shrew), but came into more popular use in the US in the mid-1800s, where as the British in the same time period used napkin, shortened to nappy.  Napkin again came from the French word for tablecloth.

You have a LOT of excess space on your comment. I would go back and edit it and clear up that extra space. LOL! It just looks WEIRD otherwise.??????

2 hours ago, Jesse The BabySpiderBoy said:

You have a LOT of excess space on your comment. I would go back and edit it and clear up that extra space. LOL! It just looks WEIRD otherwise.??????

That cannot be editited out. It comes from the way the profile is written and displalyed in the left columln. Mine does the same

2 hours ago, willnotwill said:

The French word for "napkin" is "la serviette". Also "...kin" is a suffix meaning "little" or "small" from "...quin" ans in "manniquin"

While we are at it; next up (and look at the answers to "People also ask")

https://www.google.com/search?q=rubber+panties+etymology&sxsrf=ALiCzsaLfhR8vShibEq-4dVU1qshIWcIVw%3A1652657894696&source=hp&ei=5o6BYuDgJ6G4ggfT8q2QDg&iflsig=AJiK0e8AAAAAYoGc9ob2JrfjYdlD6-tuIWUctIDYlRCO&ved=0ahUKEwjg6_u11uL3AhUhnOAKHVN5C-IQ4dUDCA4&oq=rubber+panties+etymology&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAw6BwgjEOoCECc6BAgjECc6CwguEIAEELEDEIMBOgUIABCABDoOCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQ1AI6CAguELEDEIMBOgsILhCABBCxAxDUAjoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQ0QM6CAgAEIAEELEDOggILhCABBCxAzoOCC4QsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOggIABCxAxCDAToLCC4QgAQQxwEQrwE6DgguEIAEELEDEMcBENEDOgcIABCABBAKOggIABAWEAoQHjoKCAAQDxAWEAoQHjoGCAAQFhAeOggIABAPEBYQHjoFCCEQoAE6BQghEKsCULsPWPo6YKZTaAFwAHgAgAFciAGyDZIBAjI0mAEAoAEBsAEK&sclient=gws-wiz

Note the last 3 letters: an interesting way to end a link about rubber panties :) we also see diapers referred to as "pilchers", just to stir it up more

• Thanks 1

"Nappies" sounds so much cuter, but "diapers" is what I have always know as an American. That's why I'm glad we have the phrase "diapies" which is the best of both worlds ^^

• Like 2

The cutified word for diaper is "dydee"

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Little Christine said:

The cutified word for diaper is "dydee"

Thank you so much for saying that buddy! I LOVE the word "Dydee/Didee!!!!!"??????????☺️?♥️?? I ALWAYS WANTED to use the word! But I NEVER could figure out how to spell it correctly.??? LOL!?????☺️?☺️ So I just gave up on it.

All depends on where you were raised and which part of the world.  Some call them Nappies, others call then diapers.  I prefer diapers but in the end, it's just "Same shit, different day".

I'm an Australian English speaker, but I use "diapers". I think this is probably because for the majority of the time I was talking about them, I was talking to Americans, so I wanted to fit in.

Even though I am British myself, I've always preferred using the term 'diaper'. It just sounds right, and more people seem to be familiar to it here. There is a rare occasion ill use the word 'nappy', but it's mostly the other.