LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

What'S Your Internet Speed?

chad334

I have a crap dsl internet connection. It sometimes takes me almost 2 hours to watch a 20 minute youtube video.

Our only upgrade option now is fios. And pretty soon when I can afford the install fee. I'm gonna get the fios 3.0 Mbps installed.

It's really painful to watch videos with this connection. It even takes around 10 minutes sometimes to watch a 2 minute video. lol

2112391344.png

How fast is your internet?

Chad

Couldn't get this test to load. My neighbors wifi connection is DSP, but through my adapter the signal is weak, cuts out frequently, and may be doing 1/4 of the 11MB Windows thinks it's doing on a good day :whistling: Still beats dial-up and I :wub: the cost- free!

Bettypooh

Mine varies I'm suppose to be getting 3.0 and in the daytime or in the wee hours of the morning, I do but most of the time I'm lucky if I see 1.0

But you can rest assure everytime you talk to the supplier, about how slow it is, it shows the numbers are witin range,

Nearly 80 bucks a month for lousy connection thru frontier.

Wow. I'm really jealous of y'alls internet speed. Lol

We can get up too 20.0 Mbps on the fiber optic line.

But 3.0 Mbps should do for me. If I need higher speed later I can always upgrade.

Chad

I have been told by a geek that now everyone has gone to broadband, that dial up is often faster.

I think he didn't quite mean that seriously. Even with caching and compressing proxies you will be lucky to get 200kB/s.

Sometimes you are stuck if the old BT wiring outside is just too rotten or you are too far from the local exchange.

You did put DSL filters on the phone sockets? Also disconnect all unused telephone wiring in the house; not just not using the socket, but actually disconnecting the wires to it at the earliest possible spot. If you feel uncomfortable with that, get some aquaintance sparky to clean that up.

And change your ISP if they don't help, they sound like Tiscali.

At Girlfriends house who had major issues outside when it rained and internet would fail off and on for about a hour. Service guy came yesterday and took out a dinosaur modem And replaced it with a newer Motorola. And then put a new connector on the drop at the pole. was getting about 3Meg before. Waiting on more rain to see if it fails again. But hey this was a huge improvement

2113869190.png

People knock DLS, especially the cable companies, but the way it was explained to me is think of your phone line as opposed to a cable line. Your phone line comes direct to your house and your house alone, therefore is a dedicated line. Cable runs through out your neighborhood and branches off to every house on the street. Think of a sewer pipe. If you are the only one watching cable TV or on the internet, you have the use of that whole pipe to yourself! Think of a gusher of water running through that pipe to your house. Now, your neighbor comes home, turns on his TV and internet. Now you are sharing that sewer pipe (cable) and you get half of the pipe, therefore half the amount of water (information) gushing through. As more people turn on their TV's and log onto their internet, the amount that rushes through that pipe to your specific house diminishes, therefore does your speed. I don't remember the site anymore, but you can check your speed at different times. You will find your internet speed with cable is a lot faster at 3am than it is at 5pm or 7pm.

People knock DLS, especially the cable companies, but the way it was explained to me is think of your phone line as opposed to a cable line. Your phone line comes direct to your house and your house alone, therefore is a dedicated line. Cable runs through out your neighborhood and branches off to every house on the street. Think of a sewer pipe. If you are the only one watching cable TV or on the internet, you have the use of that whole pipe to yourself! Think of a gusher of water running through that pipe to your house. Now, your neighbor comes home, turns on his TV and internet. Now you are sharing that sewer pipe (cable) and you get half of the pipe, therefore half the amount of water (information) gushing through. As more people turn on their TV's and log onto their internet, the amount that rushes through that pipe to your specific house diminishes, therefore does your speed. I don't remember the site anymore, but you can check your speed at different times. You will find your internet speed with cable is a lot faster at 3am than it is at 5pm or 7pm.

That is true.

I miss my DSL line. I used to have 15Mb/1.5Mb DSL line and it was great, no issues and just the right speed for getting everything rather quickly. Now I'm on cable and I get this...

2115453602.png

and you're thinking, hey that's better! Sure... when it works. My cable slows down pretty often and I get random amounts of packet-loss. Good times...

I have to have the cable company come out every couple of years and replace the connections outside as they get corroded. It's weird though tv is clear, but the internet speed goes to 2 to 3 mbps.

That is true.

Beg to differ.

While it is true that your telephone line runs dedicated from the exchange to your house, all connections get bundled at the exchange. Depending on the contention ratio that your ISP implements this can mean that you share the outgoing line from the exchange with several thousand users. A 'Quality Of Service' control might be applied and the exchange might be split into 'unbundled local loops', but the line is never a dedicated one.

Cable works very similar here. The local loop is usually a router for a street or a block of houses, as you stated. This router should have an uplink substantially faster than the promised maximum speed. On most cable routers you can check the maximum line speed somewhere in the advanced settings. It will show you how many channels are available on the cable and the speed each channel is capable of. The router will pick up to 8 of these channels, if necessary, to send or receive, with asymmetric (the most common ) lines often having more, and faster, channels for downloads than for uploads.

Restrictions to the maximum speed will be applied by your ISP according to contract. This is done per router based on MAC and log-in credentials.

In my case (as an example) this means that I'm paying for 60Mbit/s down and 3Mbit/s up and my ISP limits me to that even though the line to the local loop router can support 2.6 Gbit/s (5 channels at 466 Mbit/s) down and 245 MBit/s (single channel) up. Maybe I'm terribly lucky, but the local loop here has about 50 potential clients in the block, of which maybe 25 (looking at some Wifi data; there are 10-12 networks to be seen, about half of them have the IPS's default names. These are quite equally divided to 2 ADSL and 1 Cable provider. If we assume that this ratio is also representative of the other, renamed Wifi cells and that there's yet the same amount of clients that use only wired connections plus twice as many networks that I can't see.) are actually signed up. If everyone but me has signed up to a 100 Mbit/s line and uses it continuously to the limit, that would still leave me with the full bandwidth that I pay for.

Cable or (A/S)DSL aren't that different; the main (qualitative) difference is that the cable connection is usually a shielded coax of less than 500 yards from your house to the router, whereas the (A/S)DSL is a POTS wire, a twisted pair that is sometimes 8 miles long. That it still works so well is actually quite impressive, the routers do a great job in still filtering a useful carrier signal out when there's sometimes no more than 10 dB S/N.

You actually get a dedicated line if you use a dial-up, unfortunately even caching and compressing proxies (or server-side-preprocessing) won't give you anything close to broadband speed and latency. The best you can expect is ~ 200 kBit/s and maybe 80-100 ms ping. If you don't use a c&c proxy, 56kbit/s is the limit for V.92.