LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Strange days indeed - a 24 x 7 experiment

On 1/17/2020 at 4:05 PM, oznl said:

Thanks for the advice @Puppyz and @dondd.  I'll reach out to @NorthShoreAdam once I'm locked and loaded with flights and hotel (most likely in a fortnight or so) and I just might take to opportunity to try out some of those Northshore product I just can't buy downunder.

I'd plan to go through Australian security dry (possibly even take them off because our stupid body scanners are set to go off at even a dry diaper it seems based on prior experience).  I'd change into a BetterDry which should last me all the way to LAX.  I know I can change out of that as there are bathrooms just outside of customs.  Last time I flew in I was only a few days out of 24/7 use, my cruise range was shot to hell and I needed to use that bathroom pretty badly!

I'd then go through security again in a dry diaper (or maybe diaper-free? don't really want the TSA check) and the next diaper should last me all the way through to ID.

I'm 6'3" and my company makes us fly discount economy so it will be a bad seat up the back but I shouldn't have to change on the plane.  I can get 13 hours out of a BetterDry in that scenario as I'm usually a bit dehydrated anyway.

ps: after months of drought and bushfire it's now flooding in South East QLD.   Up to 300mm of rain fell last night in parts of the Gold Coast hinterland and 115mm in my own rain gauge.  The big theme parks on the Gold Coast are closed and the highway is cut due to flooding.  You've just got to love the Australian climate!

When I fly longer flights, and I'm not sure if my diaper is up to the task- I do make a trip to bathroom during the trip.    I did that on my trip from California to Oslo, with the stop in Paris.  It was barely used by the time I got to Paris, because I got out of my seat about 6 hours in to use the toilet.   It was quite wet by the time I got to my hotel in Oslo.   Same from Oslo to Saigon, with the stop in Doha.  I needed a change at the airport in Saigon, and went up to Hanoi with a Pull Up.   I was sick on my flight from Singapore to SFO, and nothing was coming out either end.  I just kind of dribbled into my diaper throughout the flight.   I did get up to use the bathroom and emptied by bladder about 10 hours in, and my diaper was still in decent shape when I got home.    I couldn't keep myself hydrated during the flight, and I kept drinking water.

On 1/18/2020 at 7:06 PM, oznl said:

It also might be that I’m wetting with high frequency and low volume during the night also and this is allowing my nappy to cope more effectively.

I think this is probably part of it. I have had fewer diaper leaks recently than I did starting out, and I attribute that to more frequent, small wettings being better handled than less frequent deluges. Though at night I have no idea what's going on, really - I don't have very many nights were my diaper is soaked and I have absolutely no memory of doing it - it does happen, but not that often - BUT, what has been happening a lot is that I stir to a slight need to wet, and I 'permission' the gates to open, and then I fall right back asleep without really feeling if anything is happening or not, and the process seems to have become automated from there, and I'm not taking notes as to the timing of all this, so some of the events might be more significant than others. Particularly on weekends, when beer, wine, or Scotch tend to be become part of the equation, and I typically guzzle water just before bed as an offering to the hangover Gods. 

On 1/21/2020 at 1:23 AM, Little Sherri said:

BUT, what has been happening a lot is that I stir to a slight need to wet, and I 'permission' the gates to open, and then I fall right back asleep without really feeling if anything is happening or not, and the process seems to have become automated from there, and I'm not taking notes as to the timing of all this, so some of the events might be more significant than others.

Yes.  This is happening QUITE frequently now.  Many nights I can dimly recall stirring to wet.  I can often recall a trickle but nothing further but in the morning my diaper is thoroughly wet.  I'm reasonably sure that on many occasions I will awake to pee and then fall asleep still doing it.   I *think* I have just trickled but it was probably just the first few bars of a longer song that I slept through.  Still on a minority of nights, I will have no recollection of waking but I'm still good and wet come morning.

Busted.  Well, nearly, sort of, a bit.

It’s the time of year where we turn our minds to the annual household pest inspection.  Termites in my part of the world are voracious and will eat your house.  Like many householders, we have a chemical barrier injected into the subsoil around the property perimeter.  This allegedly kills termites nearly immediately through chemical toxicity and householders much more slowly through some as-yet-undocumented carcinogenic link.

Part of the termite barrier deal is annual inspections (you’d be mad not to have an inspection anyway as even without a barrier, you can catch damage before it gets too big).

As usual, it seems to be down to ME to be the one trying to juggle working from home to allow the pest guy access and first hand witness any horrors he uncovers.  My wife needs to work from her city office, my teenager needs to sleep, it’s down to me.

It was an early morning inspection and I’d changed out of my night nappy into my usual workday BetterDry in anticipation of heading into the office as soon as he was done.  I’d carefully disposed of that night nappy and made sure that there was nothing incriminating laying around in the walk-in-robe before retiring to my study to join a teleconference by phone.

Pest inspectors have a tacit “access all areas” pass and so he was working his way from room to room tapping beams, probing with a moisture meter and generally looking around.

This year he was on “high alert” because our cat (useless for all other applications) had become intensely fascinated with an area of wall down in the kitchen.  Cats know things, they just don’t care.

Anyway, he works his way upstairs and comes into my study.  I’ve got my teleconference headset on and I’m talking but no problem, this room is not out of scope.  Unusually however, he heads straight across the room making a bee-line to the floor-to-ceiling cupboard in front of my desk and without so much as a “by your leave”, pulls open the doors, whips out his smart phone and starts taking photos.

That’s my nappy storage cupboard.  At this point it contained:

• A bunch of obsolete software documentation and random IT components (this is fine)

• Half a case of BetterDry

• A whole case of Molicare

• Half a case of ID slip

• A couple of pairs of Babykins pull-on diaper pants airing out up the back

• Some plastic pants

As this is happening, I’ve placed myself on “mute”, leapt up from my desk and started toward intercepting him asking him “Can I help you?”

He looked puzzled for a minute and I saw with some relief that he appeared to be focused on the bottom of a carboard box resting on the floor.  It was a BetterDry box but was at best ambiguously labelled.

“Sorry, here is directly above the kitchen wall and I thought I’d check and I can see this box is damaged”.

Sure enough, the bottom of the box was clearly chewed.  The thing is, I knew the cat was responsible for this.  It considers the expensive, scientifically balanced cat kibble we buy it so highly that it prefers the taste of cardboard boxes, occasionally garnished with its owner’s flesh.

“That’s nothing, that’s the cat, I know about that!” I said trying to unobtrusively guide him away from the cupboard, “I’m in a meeting right now”.

“Oh sorry” he replied, staring vacantly into the cupboard for a second or two before tapping a few bits of wood with a stick and leaving.

I surveyed the cupboard.  It wasn’t THAT obvious I suppose.  He would have had to have looked inside the opened top of the cartons to work out their contents, the pull-on cloth diapers looked a little ambiguous on their hangers.  The plastic pants were partially concealed by something else and probably wouldn’t’ have been recognised.

Still, he’s got the photos to look at later.

The report came through, mercifully my “nappy cupboard” photo did not make the final cut.

I suppose being diapered 24/7 axiomatically involves some degree of having to own this anyway.

As a postscript, there were no termites.  The cat was listening to the mice that were frolicking on the rear deck behind that wall-of-feline-fascination.  Presumably like cat kibble, the mice don’t taste as good as cardboard-and-human-flash so no rodent predation by said cat had taken place.  Thusly it preserved its impeccable track record within the family of doing nothing in anyway attractive or useful.

• Like 1

Wow - this read like a good suspense novel, @oznl - you had my heart pounding. I could picture exactly what you were describing, and I know how I would have felt in that moment. 

On the phone: "Uh, Mr. CEO (not that I ever really chat directly with the CEO, but for purposes of illustration), I have to let you go for a moment, something more important has come up..."

My mother-in-law has nearly done something similar to me a couple of times; she loves doing and folding laundry, for some reason, and as a side note, I once found her folding the kids clothes in my bedroom (a Sisyphean task), in front of our TV, and I asked her if she wanted the TV on, and she said no, which confirmed for me that I will never really understand her. But I digress. She loves stomping in and out of my walk-in closet depositing clothes one at at time, and she sometimes takes to reorganizing our closets, as well as always, always giving my athletic socks to my children, but again, I digress. I have a shelf in there occupied by a selection of disposables for various occasions, and a couple of cloth diapers, all artfully covered by a large bathrobe. All it would take is her thinking, God, why doesn't he hang this thing and free up this wide shelf, and boom. So I have to pretend that I, like her, am simply riveted by putting clothes away, and request that she deposit my belongings into a basket at the foot of my bed, for me to deal with later. 

16 hours ago, oznl said:

Yes.  This is happening QUITE frequently now.  Many nights I can dimly recall stirring to wet.  I can often recall a trickle but nothing further but in the morning my diaper is thoroughly wet.  I'm reasonably sure that on many occasions I will awake to pee and then fall asleep still doing it.   I *think* I have just trickled but it was probably just the first few bars of a longer song that I slept through.  Still on a minority of nights, I will have no recollection of waking but I'm still good and wet come morning.

Some mornings I too have lack of clarity on sleep wetting or not during the night.  With today’s technology you’d think someone would offer an app/sensor to record exactly when and how much one urinated during the night.  The deluxe model would tie in sleep stage.

1 hour ago, WBxx said:

Some mornings I too have lack of clarity on sleep wetting or not during the night.  With today’s technology you’d think someone would offer an app/sensor to record exactly when and how much one urinated during the night.  The deluxe model would tie in sleep stage.

Yeah, you could have something you put in your nappy that linked to your smart watch/fitness device...

An ill-timed teleconference at work today disrupted my ability to get to the gym.  I mean seriously, since when has a bunch of sales people scheduled a bid review call at 4pm?  I would have thought most of our salesforce would have been wobbly at finding the “4” on Mr Clockface at either end of the day (unless that early morning instance of “4” had segued in from a very-long-night-before and even then they’d still be wobbly but that would be alcohol rather than recollection).

Anyway, the point of gym is as much about a nappy change as it is exercise and I didn’t get either. 

My trusty BetterDry just had to manage an 11 hour shift whilst I sat 100% sedentary at my desk on phone conferences stress-eating carbs.  This is how I maintain my Tinkerbell-like physique.

Anyway after work, I arrived home with my wife (some days we can car-pool).  She was aware that I hadn’t made it to gym and therefore, in all probability, hadn’t managed my afternoon nappy change either.

Upon arriving home (car seat remained dry), chivalry trumped humidity and I offered her our en-suite shower first.  (There are no less than three showers in my home so why we queue for a single one is one of domestic life’s mysteries-in-minature).

Rule #1 is that we DON’T talk about my nappies.  Her rule but I’ve chose to live by it.

She gazed nervously at my crotch, as though it might detonate, before meaningfully replying “No, I think YOU had better go first”.  Her point was clear enough.  It really wasn’t that bad though.  I’ve had bloatier/floatier nappies than THAT before.  I probably hadn’t hydrated enough through the day.

Still, she could have just waited for the bathroom upstairs somewhere.  Maybe her study or one of the emptier bedrooms.  But no, she went down two flights of stairs and sat in the far corner of the house until I re-appeared clean-and-dry before undertaking the not-inconsiderable return voyage to the en-suite for her own shower.

I resisted the temptation to suggest that maybe it would have been better if she’d gone out and waited by the letterbox.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, oznl said:

(There are no less than three showers in my home so why we queue for a single one is one of domestic life’s mysteries-in-minature).

Same situation here; we have three showers and my wife and I always use the one off our bedroom, and my kids always use (and fight over) the one in the hall between their rooms. And, mysteriously again, I have heard my daughters fighting to get into the diminutive powder bathroom on the main floor when there are three other, grander bathrooms available, but all of them require the negotiation of a staircase. 

My wife seems to have taken the opposite tactic to yours - she likes to plant herself on our bed and put the TV on, and the bed is located between our walk-in closet and the bathroom, and, as well, my dresser with the diaper drawer is right next to the bed. So, there's no privacy, other than when I go into the bathroom and close the door. I haven't ever changed a diaper in front of her, but I often have to select one and then stride past her in order to do so. 

Golden rule ... wife goes to shower first, reason ... I try to wear my terry nappies at all times so there is a nappy bucket in the bathroom (no we don’t have three!) nappies get rinsed in the shower in the morning by which time they can be a bit rank ...  comments have been made and the can of air freshener held at arms length through a crack in the door released. As a small aside, when in New Zealand we live on an island with no running water, we collect it from the roof into a tank, as it has been a bit dry recently I have a bucket in the shower to collect the first (cold) shower water for flushing the toilet with. So this morning was fun fighting nappies plastic pants and the damn bucket. 

i am very lucky as lovely wife is very accepting of the nappies, even the ones with pooh bear print, I parade around the house in nappy and t-shirt with alacrity and plastic pants of course.

• Like 1

ps:  An interesting update on corporate park nappy disposal:  you may recall the rather excruciatingly embarrassing incident of the “no incontinence pants” signs placed above the hygiene disposal units in our gym bathrooms and the rather parsimoniously sized nappy bin in the complex’s actual disabled bathroom.

On a few occasions lately, I’ve attempted to dispose of my used day-nappy after gym in the disabled toilet bin as some post-work commitments have made me reluctant to carry around a used BetterDry for a few hours in my car in tropical heat.  I tried to use this bin mid last week but it was full.    A bit annoying and NOT the first time I’ve found it to be completely loaded.

The next day I tried again.  Clearly the bin had not been emptied but some suitably desperate user had attempted to squeeze in just one more deposit, the result of which was that the bin lid could no longer close, proudly displaying its most recent acquisition to the world.  The distinct aroma of ageing wet nappies hung in the warm air of the unairconditioned and airless room as a balled up adult nappy perched atop of the satanic pile.   It was NOT one of mine. 

I have no appetite for used-nappy-forensics but a quick glance suggested t some kind of Tena pull-up or similar, a type I do not wear to the office, if at all.

This and its friends sat there malodorously decomposing in an airless toilet in sub-tropical summer heat awaiting what I suspect is a once-per-week empty.

Eeewww…

I’ve noticed quite a few “economies” in our base building cleaning services but this one is a bit out there.  I doubt there is another ABDL on the premises, Occam’s razor says that the disabled services provider that has recently moved into one of the vacant suites and their visiting clientele are more likely responsible.

I feel sorry for them and annoyed for me that I’m back to hand-carrying wet nappies on my return commute because I don’t want to make life even a little bit worse for people who are dealing with a double whammy of personal misfortune and lowest-bid disabled bathroom maintenance.  Another part of me wants to ramp up this bin usage to see if I can’t force change…

Hi onzl

At least you now know you are not the only one to be using that disposal bin.

I agree carrying a wet nappy in our Australian heat isn’t a good idea I hope you have some kind of scented bags to put your wet nappy in.

11 hours ago, Newbee said:

Hi onzl

At least you now know you are not the only one to be using that disposal bin.

I agree carrying a wet nappy in our Australian heat isn’t a good idea I hope you have some kind of scented bags to put your wet nappy in.

Thanks Newbee.  The fact that there is evidence of others who may well need that resource has if anything, given me a little resolve to push the building people a bit.  If this becomes habitual, I might indulge in a little sign work of my own.

As for hand-carrying wet nappies, I have a nylon light-weight laundry bag that folds up to nothing inside my laptop case.  I use it to discreetly carry my next nappy during the workday.  If I need to carry used ones, although far from being a greenie, I'm loathe to use single-use plastic bags if I can avoid it.  I will roll up the nappy tightly and use its own tapes to seal it shut.  It's generally fine for a couple of hours but any longer is trouble.

9 minutes ago, oznl said:

If this becomes habitual, I might indulge in a little sign work of my own.

Imagine the plight of some poor sod dependent on nappies, perhaps because of, or in addition to, some kind of immobility issue; whereas we can just waltz out to our cars and dispose of our nappies at our leisure, imagine if it took 20 minutes to swap it, and 20 more to get dressed and out of the restroom, and then you had to make your way home via a bus for the handicapped, for example. Do they bear the further indignity of having to cart their soiled undergarment around with them, or, do they, shame-filled, deposit it beneath the overfilled receptacle?  Only to then have to look at it again the next day, and perhaps for a few days after that? Who speaks for these poor souls? You do, sir. Make that sign, I say. I suspect you might have a knack for it. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, oznl said:

As for hand-carrying wet nappies, I have a nylon light-weight laundry bag that folds up to nothing inside my laptop case.  I use it to discreetly carry my next nappy during the workday.  If I need to carry used ones, although far from being a greenie, I'm loathe to use single-use plastic bags if I can avoid it.  I will roll up the nappy tightly and use its own tapes to seal it shut.  It's generally fine for a couple of hours but any longer is trouble.

Go to Woolworths or Coles, and in the baby section ( ? ) you can find nappy bags, which you can pop the rolled up Betterdry into, then tie up. No more stinky nappy. The nappy bags i use are also slightly deodorant too. 

9 hours ago, ozziebee said:

Go to Woolworths or Coles

You guys have Woolworths and Coles? Glory be. They fled our borders decades ago. This is another reason why I need to go to Australia. Do the Woolworths still have lunch counters? Those were magical places in my childhood, with rotating stools, Formica counters, grilled cheese sandwiches and fries, and a machine that seemed to be making chocolate milk, all presided over by staff in white aprons and white paper hats, who were allowed to smoke on the job. It was beautiful.  

The Aussie Woolworth’s is a supermarket and is not related to the US F.W. Woolworth Co. which was a 5 & 10 general merchandise store.  The US Kohl’s is a department store.  The Australian Coles is a supermarket. 

8 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

You guys have Woolworths and Coles? Glory be. They fled our borders decades ago. This is another reason why I need to go to Australia. Do the Woolworths still have lunch counters? Those were magical places in my childhood, with rotating stools, Formica counters, grilled cheese sandwiches and fries, and a machine that seemed to be making chocolate milk, all presided over by staff in white aprons and white paper hats, who were allowed to smoke on the job. It was beautiful.  

Yeah, as @Clr224 pointed out, they're kind of different animals although I think they started out similar.

These days, Woolworths is like Loblaws and Coles is like Sobeys (based on my fleeting Canada visits, could be the other way around, one of these days I'll spend more than 48 hours in Canada).  Krogers and Albertsons for US readers, seem similar to me.  They are the "big 2" supermarket chains in Australia.

Coles (G.J Coles & Coy) used to be a variety store, I think a bit like the old US Woolworths.  When I was a kid in the 70s, they sold iced cordial by the cup in two flavours: a kind of soylent green and agent orange.  These were dispensed from twin glass fishbowls on poles with paddle-stirrers.  God knows how long some of those molecules had been sloshing around up in those but nothing bacterial seemed to be capable of growing in the stuff.

One of the bigger department stores, Myers I think it was, did have a magical lunch venue but only in a handful of stores in the major downtown areas.  I can dimly remember by grandparents taking me there for lunch once as a treat.  There were white paper hats, aprons and crinkle-cut chips (fries).  This would have been very early 1970s or possibly even 1969.

• Like 1

As I drift into month 11 of unbroken 24/7 diapering I was wondering what to say by way of update.

It seems that over the last month, very little has changed.  And then, @Little Sherri posted in his thread about the perils of garbage disposal for the ABDL and I realized that since wearing nappies 24/7, I too have developed a constant, mild anxiety with respect to domestic waste collection.

An adult who wears disposable diapers all the time generates a considerable amount of waste and there are certain logistical and risk mitigation considerations associated with this.  This isn’t something that’s front-of-mind I suspect when misty-eyed ABDL launch into 24/7 nappy usage.

The bulk, weight and aroma of an accumulating posse of used disposable diapers is something I need to keep track of.  If I am less than assiduous in emptying the modestly-sized diaper bin in my study at regular intervals there are consequences.  These may be simply a certain subtle fragrance or more substantially, a too-full black bin bag in my study that now weighs as much as a Volkswagen which must be then carried (as surreptitiously as I can) down three flights of stairs.  This looks no more suspicious than say, a serial killer carrying out the chopped-up body of his (or her) latest victim.

Once transferred to the capacious wheelie bin used in my city, at weekly intervals this wheelie bin must “put out” for emptying.  This is a MAN’S job.  Even if he is diapered.  I know this not because I am a misogynist agent of the dominant patriarchy but because my wife keeps telling me.

Putting OUT the bin is also not without peril, containing as it does at least two (and possibly three) black, nappy-filled rubbish bags the weight of Volkswagens and residing as it does, at the top of a steep, slippery-when-wet driveway at the end of a similarly steep street.   As I shuffle down with 3 metric tons of wheelie bin that desperately desires to escape my clutches for the siren song of gravity, visions run through my head about run-away wheelie bins face-planting in front of neighbouring houses to disgorge flocks of balled up wet adult diapers that would then roll down the hill on various trajectories like drunken chickens.

Once safely delivered to the kerb, the danger-fest of adult diaper disposal is not over.

Although free from the tyranny of the North American “Trash Panda” (such a better name than “Racoon”), domestic rubbish bins in Queensland remain vulnerable.  In this part of the world, the White Ibis bird pressed fast-forward on Darwinian adaptation after colonization, moved to the ‘burbs and reinvented itself as something now colloquially known as the “Bin Chicken”.

Bin Chickens can’t open the lid of our wheelie bins when they are closed properly BUT an over-filled wheelie bin where the lid doesn’t go all the way down is the Bin Chicken equivalent of a cat-flap-to-paradise.

That’s if your definition of “paradise” encompasses bags full of rotting kitchen waste and used adult diapers that have been putrefying in sub-tropical heat for a week.

It takes all kinds…

Theoretically, the risk of having an over-stuffed wheelie bin present an open-door opportunity to a bin chicken with lowered expectations should be minimized by the fact that it’s ME who must put out the bins giving me the opportunity to make sure they are properly closed. 

But.

The residual risk is that it’s not unheard of for neighbors with more abundant quantities of rubbish to avail themselves of any spare space in somebody else’s bin.  Sometimes, after a party, everybody’s bin in the street is over-filled thanks to a celebration they may or may not have been invited to.  These neighbors are sometimes less concerned with feeding the wildlife.

It’s happened before that a bin chicken has redistributed rubbish that isn’t mine out of a bin that I didn’t over-fill-to-the-point-of-remaining-stuck-open.  It just hasn’t happened in the 14 months since I went 24/7 and took up disposable use to support that habit. 

These days, I’m even more concerned to make sure that my rubbish stays IN my rubbish bin before being invisibly swallowed by a very large truck with a squashy thing inside (technical term).  Regardless of having the bin and environmental considerations, I make sure my nappies are bagged up in black disposable bags prior to going on their last voyage and pray that even bin chickens have standards.

It’s still with some relief every bin morning that I arise and find an empty bin with no traces of disgorgement and betrayal in my street.  It must be a bit like a Catholic confession: the bin is empty, my sins have been washed away, the slate is wiped and I can start again afresh and pristine.

• Haha 1

I used to worry about nappy deliveries arriving and what was in my dustbin.  Then I switched to cloth nappies, and those problems largely went away.  And also, these days I use compostable bags for my wet nappies when I'm on the move, rather than normal plastic, so I hope I'm not contributing as much to filling the environment with plastic waste.  They cost a bit more, but I feel better about it.

On 2/6/2020 at 12:52 PM, oznl said:

As I drift into month 11 of unbroken 24/7 diapering I was wondering what to say by way of update.

It seems that over the last month, very little has changed.  And then, @Little Sherri posted in his thread about the perils of garbage disposal for the ABDL and I realized that since wearing nappies 24/7, I too have developed a constant, mild anxiety with respect to domestic waste collection.

An adult who wears disposable diapers all the time generates a considerable amount of waste and there are certain logistical and risk mitigation considerations associated with this.  This isn’t something that’s front-of-mind I suspect when misty-eyed ABDL launch into 24/7 nappy usage.

The bulk, weight and aroma of an accumulating posse of used disposable diapers is something I need to keep track of.  If I am less than assiduous in emptying the modestly-sized diaper bin in my study at regular intervals there are consequences.  These may be simply a certain subtle fragrance or more substantially, a too-full black bin bag in my study that now weighs as much as a Volkswagen which must be then carried (as surreptitiously as I can) down three flights of stairs.  This looks no more suspicious than say, a serial killer carrying out the chopped-up body of his (or her) latest victim.

Once transferred to the capacious wheelie bin used in my city, at weekly intervals this wheelie bin must “put out” for emptying.  This is a MAN’S job.  Even if he is diapered.  I know this not because I am a misogynist agent of the dominant patriarchy but because my wife keeps telling me.

Putting OUT the bin is also not without peril, containing as it does at least two (and possibly three) black, nappy-filled rubbish bags the weight of Volkswagens and residing as it does, at the top of a steep, slippery-when-wet driveway at the end of a similarly steep street.   As I shuffle down with 3 metric tons of wheelie bin that desperately desires to escape my clutches for the siren song of gravity, visions run through my head about run-away wheelie bins face-planting in front of neighbouring houses to disgorge flocks of balled up wet adult diapers that would then roll down the hill on various trajectories like drunken chickens.

Once safely delivered to the kerb, the danger-fest of adult diaper disposal is not over.

Although free from the tyranny of the North American “Trash Panda” (such a better name than “Racoon”), domestic rubbish bins in Queensland remain vulnerable.  In this part of the world, the White Ibis bird pressed fast-forward on Darwinian adaptation after colonization, moved to the ‘burbs and reinvented itself as something now colloquially known as the “Bin Chicken”.

Bin Chickens can’t open the lid of our wheelie bins when they are closed properly BUT an over-filled wheelie bin where the lid doesn’t go all the way down is the Bin Chicken equivalent of a cat-flap-to-paradise.

That’s if your definition of “paradise” encompasses bags full of rotting kitchen waste and used adult diapers that have been putrefying in sub-tropical heat for a week.

It takes all kinds…

Theoretically, the risk of having an over-stuffed wheelie bin present an open-door opportunity to a bin chicken with lowered expectations should be minimized by the fact that it’s ME who must put out the bins giving me the opportunity to make sure they are properly closed. 

But.

The residual risk is that it’s not unheard of for neighbors with more abundant quantities of rubbish to avail themselves of any spare space in somebody else’s bin.  Sometimes, after a party, everybody’s bin in the street is over-filled thanks to a celebration they may or may not have been invited to.  These neighbors are sometimes less concerned with feeding the wildlife.

It’s happened before that a bin chicken has redistributed rubbish that isn’t mine out of a bin that I didn’t over-fill-to-the-point-of-remaining-stuck-open.  It just hasn’t happened in the 14 months since I went 24/7 and took up disposable use to support that habit. 

These days, I’m even more concerned to make sure that my rubbish stays IN my rubbish bin before being invisibly swallowed by a very large truck with a squashy thing inside (technical term).  Regardless of having the bin and environmental considerations, I make sure my nappies are bagged up in black disposable bags prior to going on their last voyage and pray that even bin chickens have standards.

It’s still with some relief every bin morning that I arise and find an empty bin with no traces of disgorgement and betrayal in my street.  It must be a bit like a Catholic confession: the bin is empty, my sins have been washed away, the slate is wiped and I can start again afresh and pristine.

Our black (household waste) wheelie bin gets emptied every two weeks, alternating with the blue (recycling), green (garden waste) and bottle bin on the other week.

Nappies do take up f**k loads of room - half way through the bun cycle (which will be tomorrow), I get a step ladder out, climb on the bin and jump up and down. 95KG of me jumping up and down on the rubbish compresses it enough to fill up with the lid shut.

Our black waste here gets incinerated for energy, so I have no worries about landfill wastage. 

I would contact your city/municipal garbage refuse disposal centre and ask if you are permitted to have more than one bin, even if it is an extra cost. It might alleviate your persistent anxiety regarding the "Bin Chicken". Having two bins would allow you the room to ensure that your lids are always properly secured. 

5 hours ago, Shotgun Diplomat said:

I would contact your city/municipal garbage refuse disposal centre and ask if you are permitted to have more than one bin, even if it is an extra cost. It might alleviate your persistent anxiety regarding the "Bin Chicken". Having two bins would allow you the room to ensure that your lids are always properly secured. 

Thanks.  The capacity of my bin is reasonably adequate.  It's my neighbor's "borrowing" my spare bin space (which I absolutely do not mind so long as they don't do it to the point where the lid won't shut) that's caused the odd risk.

On another slightly out-of-cycle update. 

@ozziebee (who may also be quite wet since Sydney endured a remarkable 220mm of rain yesterday - guess the fires are out) wrote once about the non-linear progression of diaper dependency, describing it as a sine wave of varying amplitude along a gently descending centre point.  This seems to be holding quite true for me.

I woke up in wet nappies again this morning with no recollection of having wet myself.  This actually hasn’t happened from probably more than a week.  Alcohol was involved.  I went to bed 99.5% dry (perhaps the tiniest of trickles as I brushed my teeth before bed) and must have fallen asleep before anything more substantial happened.  I remember being woken at around 4am by the cat and my bladder seemed empty.  I don’t remember noticing if I was dry or wet but I fell back asleep heavily.

The next morning it seemed I had only a few drips in me when the clock radio went off but I could tell I was reasonably wet down there.

Recent rains have triggered minor hay fever and as I woke listening to the news, I was a bit sneezy and congested.  Reaching for a tissue I blew my nose (gripping stuff I know but you’re still reading).  As I did, I felt a simultaneous spurt of wee happen in my nappy, quite unbidden.  I blew again, another leak.  It wasn't drought-breaking stuff but nor was it explicitly authorised.

When I arose and changed, my nappy, it was clear that it had been solidly used during the night.  The padding was about 65% wet..

As I sit here, a small test-blow of my nose produces some instant urgency but not actual wee (unless I choose to let it which of course is ridiculously easy to do at this stage of my experiment).  It seemed a bit different in bed this morning, like my “tap” had been left in the open position by default.  I don’t remember consciously choosing to permit pee but it happened anyway.

Based on that sine wave thing I’ll probably be rock-solid-leak-proof by tomorrow but there does seem to be something going on here today.  I'm mildly concerned at evidence that my bladder isn't empty when I think it is.  I just hope I’m not experiencing urinary retention as I understand that can be a short cut to a UTI and actually causing myself illness is NOT on my game-plan.

On 2/9/2020 at 8:03 PM, oznl said:

@ozziebee (who may also be quite wet since Sydney endured a remarkable 220mm of rain yesterday - guess the fires are out) wrote once about the non-linear progression of diaper dependency, describing it as a sine wave of varying amplitude along a gently descending centre point.  This seems to be holding quite true for me.

This is perhaps the best description of the phenomenon that I have seen. Well put. 

Reaching for a tissue I blew my nose (gripping stuff I know but you’re still reading).  As I did, I felt a simultaneous spurt of wee happen in my nappy, quite unbidden.  I blew again, another leak.  It wasn't drought-breaking stuff but nor was it explicitly authorised.

A friend of mine whose wife experiences some urinary incontinence after having birthed three children (one can understand how that might play havoc with the equipment down there, rather like having 777 come out of a hangar designed for a turboprop) said that this happens to her when she blows her nose or sneezes. I have not experienced this yet, and I'm curious as to if I will. 

I woke up in wet nappies again this morning with no recollection of having wet myself.  This actually hasn’t happened from probably more than a week.  Alcohol was involved.  I went to bed 99.5% dry (perhaps the tiniest of trickles as I brushed my teeth before bed) and must have fallen asleep before anything more substantial happened.  I remember being woken at around 4am by the cat and my bladder seemed empty.  I don’t remember noticing if I was dry or wet but I fell back asleep heavily.

Two aspects of this were interesting to me; first, pretty much every time I've woken up in a wet diaper with no recollection of having at least started the dampening process deliberately, it was after consuming alcohol in some form. Second, for some reason, I often wee in my nappy while brushing my teeth, and I have no idea why - maybe it's habit now. But, the order of operations in the evening - and feel free to skip this bit, it's not riveting - typically would involve my either taking off my daytime nappy, using the loo, and then taking a shower, before putting a night diaper on or, if I've just come back from the gym, then taking off my boxer shorts, using the loo, taking a shower, and then the night diaper goes on. In both cases, using the loo to expel #2 (which I don't generally do in a diaper, way too much work) pretty much always elicits some wee as well, and then within 10 minutes I'm brushing my teeth, and I always feel the urge to wee, even though I've just gone. It's interesting, at least to me. I don't mind because I like the feeling of climbing into bed in a slightly damp nappy, generally.