LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store
Sign in to follow this  
thatsmymango

Why do people hate Depends?

I'm curious ...

A lot of people on the boards seem to think Depends diapers are no good.  

I'm European but based in SE Asia. While in Korea, my favourite diaper is the Korean version of Depends ... see: 

http://www.dailydiapers.com/board/index.php?showtopic=44521&hl=   

The Korean Depends are incredibly good diapers ... reliable, comfortable, great capacity ...

I'm not familiar with the North American diaper market, so I am just wondering what is it with Depends diapers there that so many people dislike?

I remember the green depends. The first adult diaper I found. You should have seen the look on my face when I realized that they made diapers for adults... I was like HOLYSHIT!

I think it just depends (ugh) on each person's experience. I can't speak for everyone, and I'm no expert in depends (I only bought them once), but in my experience they didn't have a lot of capacity, were prone to leaking a lot - and honestly they kind of disappointed when it came to how it felt. I guess that's just another consequence of not having a lot of capacity though.

There were pluses: they smelled great (I have a certain idea of what a diaper should smell like....a new diaper, of course >.>), and they did make some soft crinkling noises when I moved. I myself am not big into the crinkle-factor. I just mention this for those who are. Finally, and most importantly, is their availability. You can get them at any store that sells hygiene products, and I don't think that they're too expensive. There is definitely a crowd of people out there for whom Depends is a good choice. It's just that the ABDL demographic and the people who use depends demographic probably dont't overlap too much (depends is probably best for people who just leak a little bit or who sometimes let a little out when going to the restroom. People here are usually a bit "needy" than that).

To get back on track and to put it simply: there are a myriad of better diapers out there.

Is your favorite diaper (the Korean Depends) available everywhere or owned by Depends? I'm curious as to what makes you give them that title.

All I can speak of is the US version. It is my understanding that those sold elsewhere are different but I know no details :mellow:

US Depends are my usual work-day diaper. They fit me well and are utterly dependable but you have to know how they work and know their limits, which are very low compared to any premium diaper :rolleyes: No flooding- not even a fast flow, and when the front is fully saturated it's changing time right now- anything more and they will leak. This holds true for their pull-ups and the plastic-backed ones. They will stay at this stage for hours till eventually (after no more than 8 hours, less if you are active) the padding breaks down and clumps but they still do not leak unless you add more. They are the only cloth-like backed disposable I have tried where the cover is truly waterproof though I'm comparing them to store brands- I haven't tried any 'premium' cloth backed ones yet.

People have been bashing Depends for ages, so they just continue to do that :o There's a lot of peer pressure to join in the bashing so it's not going to stop, but those who bemoan Depends need to be stuck with store brands only till they understand that Depends are NOT the worst adult diaper out there by a long way <_< And here in the US, they are the cheapest plastic-backed diaper normally available which IMHO puts them in a very special category everyone should respect B)

Bettypooh

Meh.  I hate Depends because of the way they "fit".  One diaper (S/M) to fit from waist 28" to 46" - and for most of that range, it no workee....  

Is your favorite diaper (the Korean Depends) available everywhere or owned by Depends? I'm curious as to what makes you give them that title.

Hi WakkoWannaBe

I call them "Korean Depends' because really they are just that ... they are produced by the Korean division of the same company (Kimberley-Clark)

The brand name   ë””펜드  actually translates as "defend", rather than "depend", but I imagine that slight difference may be to do with a particular Korean understanding or pronunciation of the words.

As far as I am aware they are not sold anywhere else, as the packaging is totally Korean with no foreign language translations. (See below)

post-47769-0-24325300-1406690298_thumb.j

post-47769-0-24325300-1406690298_thumb.j

The problem with Depends in my opinion is two fold: the way that people use them and the fact that they aren't designed to be wet multiple times without changing.  People on here who use them recreationally aren't just letting a small amount flow into them, they typically flood them, and they do it over and over without changing, which is really not the way that a typical diaper should be used.  The premium brands are able to do this because of their increased amount of SAP and better construction, but then again you pay for that premium price.  

I occasionally will buy depends, and to be honest I really like the Real-Fit, but to be honest I hardly ever use them to wet, I just kind of wear them when I want to wear diapers discretely and they fit very well.  If I want a pull-up that works like a diaper though, I'll stick to Abenas and Tenas (not the store brand ones).

I used to use the depend diapers for working out. The elastic waist and 6 tabs made a great fit. Now that i get attends with waistband through my insurance i use those. Don't have big floods. So no performance issues in the product.

I wore them off and on back in the day- tried them but they did not fit me well- I stand rather tall- I am over six-feet and I have always had issues with the fit of Depends, issues with the amount they hold and they could be leaky and they did not last me all night long.  I've not tried Depends since at least 2006 or so when I bought a bag on a whim one night after work.   I was not that impressed with them at all- also around that time I got into wearing Abenas and high-quality diapers so for me- the issue is the cheapness of the brand,

Depends are good in a pinch, but for me- they aren't right for me.  They have never fit right, felt comfortable and that's what makes a diaper work for me!

BabyChris121675

Hi WakkoWannaBe

I call them "Korean Depends' because really they are just that ... they are produced by the Korean division of the same company (Kimberley-Clark)

Ooooh. Okay! I checked out the other thread that you linked and they look like pretty good diapers!

That's not fair! Korea gets awesome-looking depends. I'm jealous =p.

They barely hold any pee. I have leaked after the second time and I didn't even pee a lot each time. I read they hold 14 oz. That is less than two cups.

And this is the American version I am speaking of.

Well, first, I dislike them because they hold practically nothing, as other people have already said. The "pull-on" type briefs put me at a serious disadvantage if I'm wearing pants rather than a dress or skirt. I can take one off by ripping the sides, sure, but in order to put one on, I have to actually remove my pants. I don't know about you, but I'm just not physically able to do that in a tiny public-restroom stall.

Most importantly, speaking as a DL I just have a hard time thinking of them as diapers. A true diaper to me would look more like what I would expect to see on a baby, with side tapes and thick padding.

I'm probably in the minority in that I liked the old green Depends, if only because they were my first disposables, and they at least came close to fitting my criteria of what a diaper was supposed to be.

Betty, I have poor control at best, so a flood for me is more likely than a trickle. Which is one of the reasons I wear cloth at night, in fact.

The brand name   ë””펜드  actually translates as "defend"

Since I'm the main one here who "defends" Depends :rolleyes: I guess I should speak up.

First, thanks for the thoughts thatsmymango, and for the info we'd probably not have without you sharing it :thumbsup: Now into my 'Defending' (US version :P ) Everyone's comments are right, but you have to keep in mind a few things:

Depends are a cheap diaper and you don't get what you don't pay for. Compared to equally cheap diapers only, Depends are the best of the bunch or close to that :) In my years of using Depends I've found quality control problems only once when the earliest 'Silhouettes' leaked through the cover (they are fine now). Many are the sad threads here about some well-known premium brands which can't seem to do this :o And 'flooding'; most diapers are aimed toward the Incontinence market where the usual is constant slow leakage, not flooding and Depends follow along here (I do know that some Incontinence does involve 'flooding' episodes but that's not the norm). Fit and leakage from poor fitting goes along with all diapers, even the premium brands, but with Depends extensive product line there's probably one that will fit most people well. Depends are as consistent a product of any kind as I've ever used and you can depend on that- I do! :lol: So for what they are and what they cost, Depends are actually a pretty darn good diaper, all things considered, even though they are far from the best.

My job here now done, I need to defend against wet pants so I'm going to put on a Depends "Protection with Tabs" and go to work wondering just who the heck comes up with the names for their products :screwy:  :drive1:  :girl_happy:

Bettypooh

Those depends are completely different from even the depends with tabs we have here in the us. Depends were pretty good back in the 90's and early 2000's, but now they don't hold anything worth a pee.

I had the unfortunate need of using them a few years ago and even with a moderate amount of peeing (not flooding either), they leaked just a little upon my second wetting (after about two hours).

The depends real fit, which are pullups, have even less capacity and a worse fit than the tabs do too.

Depends are fine depending (ha ha) on how you use them. I can get 'em from the corner Walgreens for $10/pack and they're good enough for a couple of hours. I actually use them a lot at work b/c I can change whenever needed and the Depends don't clump up when I'm active like the thicker diapers do.

I used to buy Depend briefs way back in the '90's when the first went to the all white outer shell and the printing on the package that they were "more underwear like"...and had the regular and over night varieties (regular in Mediums was 20 per pack vs, over night was 18 per pack WOOO HOO!!!) :P I always used the overnights as my regular diaper, because it would 'hold more' theoretically :P.

They worked fine for me as they were all I knew they 'worked' even though I could wipe one out in one good flood, and I had to walk around and not sit until they soaked everything up. What ever. I don't wear for need, so I don't 'need' them in that way, but they are fun for my desires. They did ok in the wet department, but for the other side of the coin, they did GREAT in containing most amny mess you could crank out! They had tall leak guards and wre pretty roomy in the seat, so a large load had plenty of space if needed :P and there were times I needed it :blush:

I stopped wearing them because I found better products that suited me better. Frankly, you can't argue with the likes of Abena, Molicare or (later on) Bambino. Much less any other brandavailable on-line. I tried attends and dispised them as they were worse then the Depends I had :P Plus they didn't even have leak guards! Whats up with that?

So, for what they were at the time, Depends briefs were OK, did their job, to a point, and were an over all 'functional' product. My only "real' complaint about them was the plastic shell was L*O*U*D! the crinkling was just off the hook, just to much for me. Finding better products that had better capacity, and were quieter was the death knell for Depends.

I'm sure they still are fine for what they are, and I am sure they have gone to the cloth backing top sheet as well (like everyone else) yet are still functional as Betty said, and all tha is fine and dandy, as long as they do what they are supposed to do, with in their limitations. Heck, a good booster pad will make them work wonders I am sure, but for me, something about those 3 tape tabs bugs me, but thats just me, and I know I don't HAVE to use the bottom tape :P but still.

So I don't really slag on Depends, they made me happy for many years, and if I run into an issue and needs 'something' in a hurry, fine, I'll go grab a bag and carry on. But I have good stocks and maintain them, so I shouldn't have to go to those measures.

I think those who slag on Depends do so out of disappointment in a domestic manufacturer's inability to produce a suitable product for a medical need. Heck, we went to the moon and we can't make a decent adult diaper to compete with European or Asian designs and markets? Oh well....no wonder this country has issues :P

So yeah, I'm a former Depends user /abuser :P and as I said, they worked fine for what they are and my desires, but better products and availability came along and {{{{POOF}}}} I switched to that which works better for me :D

Oh well, my money goes elsewhere and doesn't stay in the country with local manufacturers...Blame Congress :P:roflmao:

They clumped up severely.  They sounded like a plastic garbage bag or one of those grocery bags.

For me now I wear the underwear.  They are not as soft as other underwear.  So of course the chaff factor is pretty high compared to others.  I wish they had a leak guard in the underwear.  I kind of like feeling the between the legs you get when the pulp starts to get to poke me if you will.  Then I know it needs to be changed.   I do like how they are roomier in the front for us men. 

It sounds like we're in pretty much agreement that even though the long ago Depends of the early 90's were (meh) decent, that their current Depends are pretty much not worth a crap unless you only use them for very minor or light wettings. They do not hold very much overall, and can't take a flooding worth a drop either. However, as long as you can stay within their limitations they are ok for what they cost.

Depends (USA) was my first diaper I ever tried and used.  Of course I loved them!  But they leaked a lot for me, so I found attends, which were much thicker and I realized how much I liked thickness, plus they held much better.  But then they too changed the stuffing and made them much thinner.  That is when I discovered abena x plus and really haven't found anything else I really like.  And yes, I have tried other diapers, but really enjoy my abenas!

I've worn Depends since the early 90s, and I've never really had a problem with them. Given a cost-per-change breakdown, they seem to be the most efficient choice for me. I can get a bag of Depends on sale for around $12 for 20. Price = $0.60 per diaper. Change when wet about every 3-4 hours (I know, I probably don't drink enough  :whistling:) awake about 15 hours out of the day = between 3 - 4 changes per day, which = about $1.80-$2.40 per day (I'm not a bedwetter, so don't need them at night, but even if I do wear to bed, they're more than capable of holding the night's worth if I let it go in them when I get up). Sure, I could get a thicker diaper that holds more and that I can wear longer, but I'm not all that keen on sitting in a wet diaper for longer than it takes for the urine to start turning to ammonia. Given the cost of most premium diapers (~$ 1.41 for Molicares, $1.43 for Abena M4s, $1.55 for Dry 24/7, etc.), that same 3-4 changes per day turns into anywhere between $4.23-$6.20 per day. (Wow, can't tell I'm a nerd, can you?)

So I'll defend Depends on the grounds of cost-effectiveness. Cheaper diapers usually aren't much cheaper and need to be changed more frequently, which tends to eliminate any real savings, and the more expensive diapers seem to be far too expensive to justify their only slightly increased usefulness. I seem to recall that the Attends of the early 90s fit the bill of a diaper that didn't cost much more than Depends and was able to justify that additional cost. Like the Depends were the high-end of the low-end diapers, and those Attends were a good "middle-quality". Now it seems like most of our choices are store-bought "cheap" or mail-order (internet) "expensive" with nothing in between. Since I can't get medium or medium-low quality anymore, upper-lower shelf seems a better choice for me than going straight for top shelf.

Wow, if you can make a depends pullup last four hours then you are definitely not drinking enough water.

Still, I can't argue the cost break down for you case. If I were to wear them then I'd probably be changing every 2 hours, or 4 times as often as I can get by with a single Dry 24/7. For me, that would be $2.40 for depends, vs. $1.55 for dry. Plus I'd have to deal with a lot more leaks too.

I don't HATE Depends.  I've just gotten used to wearing much higher quality diapers.  When you're used to wearing Bambino, Abena, and Dry 24/7's all the time then its hard to get excited about a mediocre brand like Depends.

I wouldn't say that I hate Depends either. Their newly styled "underwear" would actually be nice if I had minor incontinence. Rather, I'd say that I feel disappointed with them for shifting their market focus to only people with minor incon. A large percentage of incontinent people cannot rely on Depends products to get them through the day, and I believe that almost everyone with bedwetting issues can not rely on Depends at night w/o a stuffer. Hell, if I have a bit to drink at night, I can even make an Abena M4 leak! As one of the major retail brands they don't really offer very good solutions for someone with heavy or total incontinence, and that leaves me having to go on-line to purchase. Ideally I would like to support an American brand. It makes sense to buy locally financially, but there are no American retail brands that offer protection for heavy incontinence anymore. Dry 24/7, Unique Wellness and XP Medical's A+ line are the only premium American made ones I know of. Still however, I dont feel like they are yet as good as the Abena M4 or the discontinued Tena maxi slip.

I believe that with the advent of the internet, a lot of people early on realized that there were better solutions, and stopped purchasing as much from the major retailers. In order to keep their retail national supply line healthy, the domestic brands decided to trim and streamline their highest selling models, thus shifting all of the remaining market online. This is why I don't think that good premium online products will ever disappear, but it may be a long time, if ever that retail brands ever carry them again. Depends has to aggressively market themselves to keep their remaining market share from retail stores, and I believe that a lot of their products are sold to newly incontinent people, as they have a strong brand name. However, anyone who has long term incontinence, or severe incontinence may start out with Depends, then move on to online sources as they discover that there is better protection out there. 

There is a large market for premium protection. One quick example is to look at Amazon, and look at the number of reviews. Abena, Tranquility and Molicare all have a relatively large number of reviews compared to Depends, and if you combine the reviews of just 2 or 3 premium items, they add up to more than the most popular Depends. Quite unscientific for sure, but still it tells me that there is a real market for better protection, and Depends is not able to cater to that market.

Wow, if you can make a depends pullup last four hours then you are definitely not drinking enough water.

Oh! Well not the pullups. I don't think anybody could make those last more than an hour! I mean the actual diapers, briefs, fitted maximum euphemism, things.

But yeah, even then I probably still need to drink more.

There are still Depends with side tapes? If that's the case, I might reserve my opinion of them until I try one. With the exception of one disastrous experience with a pull-on, I haven't worn Depends since the days when they were still green. When I made my original statement, I assumed they only made the pull-on briefs these days. That's all I seem to see in the stores.