LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Do younger DLs like plastic-backed diapers?

When I was young, baby diapers were plastic-backed, and I developed a fetish specifically for plastic-backed diapers. But baby diapers all went cloth-backed a while back now. So I’m curious to know whether younger DLs go for cloth-backed diapers. Or if the youngsters prefer plastic-backed, then why/how is this, since presumably you didn’t grow up seeing plastic-backed? Any youngsters among us care to comment on this? 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Dyson said:

When I was young, baby diapers were plastic-backed, and I developed a fetish specifically for plastic-backed diapers. But baby diapers all went cloth-backed a while back now. So I’m curious to know whether younger DLs go for cloth-backed diapers. Or if the youngsters prefer plastic-backed, then why/how is this, since presumably you didn’t grow up seeing plastic-backed? Any youngsters among us care to comment on this? 

@Dyson

I was born in 1972. This makes me 51 years old as of yesterday. When I grew up, the only diapers that were available were either cloth or the new pampers that were plastic backed and they were fanfold. Back then, you only had two choices, either cloth or the pampers, because there wasn't any other diapers available other than what I stated. May be wrong, but I think those are the only ones that were available.

I remember so many times between the time that I was eight and the time I was like 17 how diapers changed. First the diapers were just the fanfold ones and they were THICK, And they also were VERY CRINKLY!  anybody that walked into a house with a baby between 1970 and about 1990 KNEW When a kid was in diapers.  Either they smelled a dirty diaper, or they smelled clean diapers with all of that perfume! it's no wonder that most kids back then were probably attracted to the diapers, because of the incredible amount of perfume and the wicked awesome smell that it elicits. Every time that I would think of a diaper like that, it would make me hard as a rock, because when you have a diaper on, it's expected that you use it, and most kids did use it. When they took the next step and they kept on adding SAP, another polymers to make the diapers thicker, it made diapers even softer, and they kept on adding more polymer and more polymer, so that kids wouldn't feel the wetness because they didn't want kids to be walking around in wet diapers.

Soon after that they added the colored diapers, the anatomically correct diapers, and all of this, Blue for boys pink for girls, and they had it specifically designed for each sex, and then they ended up making them Even more awesome because they were crankily, and they were plasticy, and that was really awesome. If you are a baby back in the 70s through the 90s, you knew when you had a diaper on, and anybody that had a diaper on you could tell either by looking at the person wearing it, or listening for the sound it made. Those were the days man! I can't tell you how incredible it felt to be able to have a diaper on like that, but I'll tell you one thing, back then you couldn't close your legs once you had a pampers Diaper on, because that I guess was the point they wanted to have it be absorbent, and most kids would wear either plastic pants or something over the top of the diaper, maybe even a cloth diaper over a disposable, but back in those days, parents had to make sure that kids were dry, so they ended up using a lot of different ways to do it, and back then, kids were kids, and there was no hurry to train them because some kids didn't learn as fast as others, but they were trained and most people were OK.

Then somehow, diapers changed. No longer plastic backed, they were made out of the same material that all diapers are made of today except for very specialized ones that are plastic backed.  They took out the perfume and they took out all of the other things that made the diapers of my generation the diapers of my generation, and they made changes so that all of them were cloth backed, and even if you're their cloth back, people say that they are still plastic backed, but that really isn't fully true. No one would mistake when you had a pampers diaper on back in the 70s, because you could hear the crinkle from a mile away, you could smell a box of pampers in someone's house if you had the right type of setup, and it was like being in heaven it was like being intoxicated without the drugs! you wouldn't even have to worry, because you would always remember those particular things, no wonder people wanted to wear diapers longer!

The reason why they went to cloth back diapers I'm told is because they want it to be able to make it so a diaper was easily determined when it was wet, and all of that polymer and specialized padding made it impossible for a kid to be able to tell when a diaper was wet, which is basically what you use training pants for, because you want to train someone to know when they're wet.  They also wanted to remove the perfume, and any other additives that could be used in the process that could hurt someone's skin. I even heard stories of the new plastic back pampers diapers sometimes having some sort of reaction with baby's skin and for some reason, parents began getting after P&G, because whatever was in the diaper was reacting with skin and it was stinking to high heavens and it wasn't doing any good. They made changes to the diaper and they made it so that as much as they could remove from the diaper that didn't need to be there was removed. I agree that babies have sensitive skin so they don't need all of these additives and the perfumes and all of that, but as a 50 some odd year old man, there was no mistaking a pampers diaper, because you could smell it a mile away and I'm telling you that smell was intoxicating, it could put you right into orbit!

I still have dreams of those days from time to time, but those days are gone, and the only thing that is remaining is basically what we remember about being taken care of as a kid, or having our friends as babies that had their diapers changed, or whatever happened. No one ever mistook that type of a diaper, because when you had a diaper on like that, you were waddling!

Brian

• Like 1

Great question.  I'm curious what the younger ABDLs will answer.   I'm an old fart and prefer plastic backed diapers 

• Like 2

I'm funny about this because I grew up in plastic-backed Pampers, but I graduated from them right around when the cloth-backed, printed Pampers and Huggies and things started appearing on the market, so I walked up and down the diaper aisles in fascination and envy, wanting to try the new products but no longer having a "legitimate" reason for wearing them, ergo, my parents would no buy them for me, and I didn't have the means to get them myself yet. Thus, I gravitate towards plastic products, but I also appreciate decent cloth-backed offerings that remind me of the Pampers Cruisers etc that I longed to try out. 

• Like 1

Another old one here. I was born in the 60s so yah, I grew up with the fanfold pampers, and cloth diapers. I remember the ads back then, most of them talking about how delightfully thick the diapers where back then, the smell of them,  the smooth very noisy plastic.  Then as diapers got thicker and thicker as the companys made war to get more market share, diapers getting thicker and thicker, then the hourglass diapers, fitting to the body even more. then the commbercials changed, containment became a big thing, advertising how good the diaper was at holding and containing everything. THe addition of sap was nice, as it really helped with absorbancy.  In a way, this was a bad thing for the companys, as with that much absorbancy and containment, people where buying less diapers. Thats when the trend to thinner diapers where started by the companys. They went more for the SAP, as it was cheeper than the fluff for some reason. 

The original cloth backed ones where the plastic diapers, with a cloth layer atop, but, as time went on, they took away the plastic, and made the diapers thinner and thinner. 

In a way, the same thing was happening with adult diapers. Still, it has had an affect, a lot of older folks have a preference for thicker diapers, some even moving to cloth just so thay can have that thickness they desire.

Still, it would be good to hear from the younger folks on there view about diapers.

I am 35 so by no means a "young" DL. I don't know what diapers I used when I was baby because it was right at that time of transition and I don't have any memories of being diapered. But by the time I have any memories all the diapers were cloth backed. I like plastic backed diapers because of 20 years of wearing them as an adult DL and no good cloth backed diapers. I have used some of the medical cloth backed diapers and found them all to be lacking. But I immediately fell in love with the ABU Alphagatorz and Tykables Animooz when I started wearing them. The Animooz are the first cloth backed diaper that has made me consider using a cloth backed diaper as a dialy or in the rotation diaper as a 1 for 1 replacement to plastic backed diapers.

Honestly I think it just comes down to what's better for the person, I personally like plastic backed diapers because they don't leak through the material, but at the same time they feel like baby diapers, as I kid I remember diapers being plastic backed.

• Like 2

I think I prefer plastic-backed diapers better. Not only because it doesn't leak through the material as @Young1 pointed out, but it also is very crinkly as I move and makes me feel more like the baby I see myself as. Plus I grew up with plastic-backed diapers so when I think "baby" I usually picture those types of diapers in my head. Although I wish that back then they had the absorbent channel technology like they do in regular diapers for today. I think having that technology combined with plastic-backed diapers would be my ultimate dream diaper honestly. And I would wear Pampers, because I grew up with Huggies and never got to try Pampers as a kid.😊♥️ So I'd be a happy baby if that ever happened.😁

• Like 1

44, so, not young.

Im gonna piggyback on @~Brian~’s history a bit. I seem to remember the plastic era coming to a close in the late 90’s, early 2k. I’m thinking Huggies was the first in 96-97 maybe?  Pampers seemed to go to cloth around 99, while Luvs stopped in 2001?  I would buy the Pampers, then the Luvs for the feel and the smell. 

I remember the gender specific diaper because I would pinch the pink ones from my cousin’s diaper bag. (The first girl was ‘91, the first boy wasn’t until ‘97.).  Maybe that’s why I have a bit of a soft spot for pink plastic diapers. 

Another vote for a preference for plastic back diapers, but I also like variety, so I occasionally wear cloth back disposable diapers but need a diaper cover to help with wet diaper sag that is prevalent with cloth back diapers,

Are there any decent cloth backed adult diapers? All of the ones I have tried stretch so much they fall off if you are not lieing in bed and most of them let pee soak through the "cloth" and start to smell as soon as they are wet?

• Like 1

I wore mainly cloth diapers in the 80s. 
I don't remember anything from that era, only from pictures and what I have been told. 

I only wear plastic diapers.

2 hours ago, messyman said:

Are there any decent cloth backed adult diapers? All of the ones I have tried stretch so much they fall off if you are not lieing in bed and most of them let pee soak through the "cloth" and start to smell as soon as they are wet?

There are two that I have tried that I like. The ABU Alphagatorz/Little Kings are good and the cloth backing is amazing. And the Tyakables Animooz are fantastic. Soft feel while maintaining all the good things in plastic backed diapers

• Like 1
4 hours ago, messyman said:

That is something I have noticed. I definitely need either swim trunks with the inner layer or Protec Briefs if I’m wearing one. 

1 hour ago, DAQ said:

There are two that I have tried that I like. The ABU Alphagatorz/Little Kings are good and the cloth backing is amazing. And the Tyakables Animooz are fantastic. Soft feel while maintaining all the good things in plastic backed diapers

May have to try those if I end up working both of my days off. 

• 3 months later...

I think it’s not so much whether plastic or cloth backed but more the style. Also, it may not so much be what they were when you were first in them but more what they were when you rediscovered them. 

I’m not sure if 28 is still considered young but they were mostly a mix of both in my country/era. I like both but probably slightly prefer cloth like the Drynites I had when I first got back into them. They were the white ones. 

• Like 1
On 8/20/2023 at 3:46 AM, Littleboym said:

I think it’s not so much whether plastic or cloth backed but more the style. Also, it may not so much be what they were when you were first in them but more what they were when you rediscovered them. 

I’m not sure if 28 is still considered young but they were mostly a mix of both in my country/era. I like both but probably slightly prefer cloth like the Drynites I had when I first got back into them. They were the white ones. 

I miss the all White Goodnites. Or the fact that I could fit in them, and use them quite comfortably. 

1 hour ago, astrodiaper said:

I miss the all White Goodnites. Or the fact that I could fit in them, and use them quite comfortably. 

Yeah! I think when I got them they were already being replaced with the printed ones. I just found them in the nearest shop. They only had two packs but I certainly made them last!

20 hours ago, Littleboym said:

Yeah! I think when I got them they were already being replaced with the printed ones. I just found them in the nearest shop. They only had two packs but I certainly made them last!

Definitely. I keep an eye on the pre 2k packs on EBay. Definitely not cheap. I managed to get a pack of the XL and the L Goodnites and have them vacuum sealed. I was sad that the XL didn’t fit me anymore. 

Problem I allways had with the cloth backed diapers is seepage. That is a big problem with a diaper  that you want to last overnight, or long trips and such. I have not tried the newer cloth backed diapers, they might have gotten better.

I should also note, I have had issues with the cloth backed diapers being rather fragile. One wrong tug and the whole thing shreds. That might be caused by using cheaper ones when I was experamenting. Still, it left me with a poor view of the cloth backed diapers, and I have not tried them sense.

I'm 29 and grew up during the transitional period from plastic-backed to cloth-backed diapers. I have vivid memories of wearing cloth-backed Huggies, but there are also photos of baby-me donning the plastic-backed ones. As an adult, my personal preference leans towards plastic-backed diapers. In fact, I wear medical diapers 24/7, and as I type this, I'm comfortably in a Tena Active Slip Ultima. There's something about the soft sensation of the plastic that I find very comforting. However, I do hold a special affection for cloth-backed diapers. Designs like those on Pampers Baby Dry hold a nostalgic charm for me, which is why I'm head over heels for ABU Little Kings and Kiddo Teddy Ultras, which boast a reminiscent design. So while plastic is my everyday go-to, I've got a soft spot for cloth as well!

• Like 1