LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

How much absorbency is overkill?

clt_abdl

Is there such thing as too much absorbency?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What level of absorbency do you think is the right amount without being overkill?

2. 2. Would you ever be deterred from purchasing a diaper because it is too absorbent?

• No, I only wear the thickest diapers
    • No, but I would also buy thinner diapers for more practical use
    • Yes, I don’t always want a super thick diaper
    • Yes, I dont like sitting in a partially used diaper for too long
    • Yes, the cost of ultra high absorbency diapers is not worth it for me

There seems to be a race in the community between ABDL diaper manufacturers to create the most absorbent diaper. 

With options out there offering 11,000 ml, my question is at what point is it too much/overkill?

I think that answer will vary wildly with individual use and preferences. For some, especially if it's an occassional indulgence only done in private settings, you can never have diapers thick enough. If someone is wearing diapers out in public under their clothing etc, then they may want a more discrete option. For me, my diaper preferences vary. I do love a good thick diaper, though sometimes for out in public I'd prefer a thinner diaper for more discretion. Like in the summer months when I can't wear as many layers or if I'm not going to be gone from home that long so I don't need much absorbency, I'll go with a thinner diaper or a pullup. If I'm going to be gone for a longer time, I'll wear a thicker diaper like a NorthShore Mega Max, usually with a loose skirt or dress and a Trifecta waterproof pant and some shorts over top to help silence the crinkles. When I'm home alone and have privacy, the thicker and noisier the better!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Cute_Kitten said:

I think that answer will vary wildly with individual use and preferences. For some, especially if it's an occassional indulgence only done in private settings, you can never have diapers thick enough. If someone is wearing diapers out in public under their clothing etc, then they may want a more discrete option. For me, my diaper preferences vary. I do love a good thick diaper, though sometimes for out in public I'd prefer a thinner diaper for more discretion. Like in the summer months when I can't wear as many layers or if I'm not going to be gone from home that long so I don't need much absorbency, I'll go with a thinner diaper or a pullup. If I'm going to be gone for a longer time, I'll wear a thicker diaper like a NorthShore Mega Max, usually with a loose skirt or dress and a Trifecta waterproof pant and some shorts over top to help silence the crinkles. When I'm home alone and have privacy, the thicker and noisier the better!

@Cute_Kitten

Absorbency is important. this is why I always say that no cloth backed "Diaper"  that is currently in existence and currently manufactured Can deal with a full on incontinent person that is severely incontinent. these type of diapers that they give people are only designed for people that are dribbling, or for occasional release when they can't make the bathroom. they are not designed for people that do not have any control or limited control And they end up releasing an entire bladder or an entire movement into the diaper. when you have those type of issues pull ups and cloth back diapers do not cover anything, and it doesn't absorb much, and the one thing that's important is you need absorbency and you odor control!

like you said, the use of the diaper would be dependent on what you are doing, Where you are going, And what you need to wear. If you're in a situation where you want the security of a thick diaper, you could throw on a Mega Max with a few boosters in it, and then over the top you throw a trifecta like you said. because you are a lady, you can then throw a dress or a skirt over the top of it, and from my experience, when you put a trifecta on, you also kill the Crinkle Factor, even though these things are crinkly but not as bad. absorption is the most important thing in my opinion, because if you don't have absorption, You don't have odor control, And if you don't have order control, the diaper is useless. the idea of a diaper is that you should be able to release whatever you're holding, it's going to make a mess in the diaper, it might make a mess elsewhere, and of course it's going to smell. you have to be able to have good odor control and the diaper needs to be made with quality and instead of worrying about the quantity and then making them cheap. when somebody needs a diaper, they don't need a paper towel, they need to be able to worry about is your diaper gonna hold, And if you have the right one, you could flood like the hoover dam, and the diaper will hold.

I've learned from experience however, that you cannot just say that you have to go, and then just unload an entire bladder all in one shot without having control. if you end up peeing in your diaper, and you keep going and going and going, You're gonna have to go until you don't have anything in your bladder, And if you have to do a bowel movement, you're gonna continue to go until you're empty. whatever happens, you have to have the ability to absorb whatever you're releasing, especially when you're talking about loose stool, and you need to be able to have a diaper that will be able to absorb the urine that you're releasing as well. mega Max's are good because they're 12 hour diapers, or what they say. And I agree with them. I can go 8-9 or 10 hours if I have to in the same diaper, but the problem will be if you take the diaper off after wearing it for so long, the ammonia that is in your urine is going to make your nose turn inside out! i've never smelled ammonia as strong as what comes from me when I change a diaper! I am allergic to ammonia, but luckily I can deal with the smell of my own urine.

people say that the t rest is a good diaper, and it's similar to a megamax. I would love to see a diaper that is very thick, that once you put it on you have the absorption, you have the crinkliness, and you have the feeling that once you put that diaper on sweetheart, you're not going anywhere, and you'll be able to fill that diaper up. Right now my Mega Max is full, and it probably still has some absorption, but thickness is also important for those that like having a thick diaper, whether they use it or not, and like you said, if you need discretion, you need to be able to on a thinner diaper, but you always have to be mindful when you use a thicker diaper and you use a thinner diaper to know the difference, so you don't end up in a situation where you are flooding a thin diaper out when you need a thick one. this is why when I know I have to go somewhere, and I take a shower, the first thing I do is get on the toilet. I empty my bladder and I empty my bowels if necessary. this way hopefully I don't end up in a situation where I have to have a bowel movement, And my bladder is empty, So if I drink something, I can pee in the diaper with no problem! as you said absorption is key, but you have to have a diaper that is made for the purpose that it is intended. you cannot use a bounty paper towel type diaper to be able to absorb whatever you need to absorb, because that's going to cause problems.

As I said, they tell me that cloth diapers can be used to make diapers really thick, and really absorbent If you do it right I'm hold that told that cloth diapers are like being in heaven, but unfortunately I don't have the dexterity to be pinning diapers, and I don't have the time to be washing them. However I have been told how comfortable they are, and maybe some day if I'm very lucky, some one may put one on me, that way I know what it feels like, and I can be pinned right into it, sometimes people use as disposable first and, and after they put the disposable on, They put cloth diapers over that, And if you use the right disposable and then your cough diapers you can put somebody in orbit because they feel like they could release and they feel really little. there's nothing that says little more than a huge diaper, and I guess that's just because when you're a kid and you're, they end up knowing knowing that you're gonna use it, so they end up giving you the cover over your diaper and they put extra difficult on top. The idea is you want to absorb as much as you can, so you need a diaper that is capable of doing it. hopefully companies understand that things like diapers are gonna cut it, And that's why I have Mega Macs.

Brian

4 hours ago, clt_abdl said:

There seems to be a race in the community between ABDL diaper manufacturers to create the most absorbent diaper. 

With options out there offering 11,000 ml, my question is at what point is it too much/overkill?

@clt_abdlJust curious who out there has an 11,000ml diaper?

I find medium-duty diapers in the 5000-6000 ml range to be the most useful for me. First of all, you never get anywhere near what the "official" rating is, but, that said, diapers that claim to hold 9000 or 11000 ml are obviously more absorbent than products that claim to hold 4000 ml. For me, unless I have 18 hours or so to spend at home, waddling around with what looks like a pillow jammed into my pants, top-tier diapers inevitably don't get used to their full potential, and they're expensive. Most days, I have to leave the house at some point, and if I've been in a diaper for several hours already, I tend to want to start fresh, and I usually choose a medium-range product, reflecting how long I think I'll actually wear it.

I have done 18 - 24 hour stints in giant, amazing diapers, and it is fun, but, I eventually grow tired of being that damp, and, I start worrying about my skin health. So, as much as I love my Mermaid Tales and Mega Barnyards, they'll only be occasional indulgences. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Little Sherri said:

I find medium-duty diapers in the 5000-6000 ml range to be the most useful for me. First of all, you never get anywhere near what the "official" rating is, but, that said, diapers that claim to hold 9000 or 11000 ml are obviously more absorbent than products that claim to hold 4000 ml. For me, unless I have 18 hours or so to spend at home, waddling around with what looks like a pillow jammed into my pants, top-tier diapers inevitably don't get used to their full potential, and they're expensive. Most days, I have to leave the house at some point, and if I've been in a diaper for several hours already, I tend to want to start fresh, and I usually choose a medium-range product, reflecting how long I think I'll actually wear it.

I have done 18 - 24 hour stints in giant, amazing diapers, and it is fun, but, I eventually grow tired of being that damp, and, I start worrying about my skin health. So, as much as I love my Mermaid Tales and Mega Barnyards, they'll only be occasional indulgences. 

I feel the same about the preferred range you mentioned but also enjoy one range up of thicker options as well. As much as I like waddling around in a wet diaper, it does eventually get uncomfortable. A second factor is I take pride in getting full use out of my diapers as much as possible… I always feel like I’m quitting if I take a diaper off that feels too dry. so I stick with those that give me a chance to get though a full lifecycle.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity I went to check on the ISO rating of NorthShore Mega Max. It is 6500 ml, so right in the middle of the lowest choice. But then again the ISO testing is worse than '70s era MPG testing.

depend-briefs-super-plus-medium.png

Medium

For day/night use for heavy urinary incontinence. Also suitable for bowel incontinence. Features a full length wetness indicator. Ideal for individuals with limited mobility. More info.

• Product Code: 17410
  • Total Capacity: 3520ml
  • Products/Pack: 15
  • Packs/Case: 3
  • Other Specifications: Fits Hip: 80-120cm | Fits Waist: -

• Like 1

I say it depends on how much you pee, how long in-between you have to wear before getting a chance to change and maybe a few other reasons.  Some days I can pee a lot, every 20 minutes and a large amount when I get up.  Other mornings I don't pee as much.  I don't wear 24/7 or even that much, but this is the thing.  Some people who work, for example don't get breaks to change a wet diaper when needed, therefore they may need a heavy duty super absorbent diaper that will last them most of the day.  People should also change regularly as they can because wearing a very wet diaper for hours and hours isn't that good.  A diaper's absorbency should be tailored to the individual and their different situations.  If a person can change every 4 hours at work, maybe it's best to wear a moderately absorbing diaper under dress pants to be discreet around coworkers.  If a person is a peeing machine and can soak a heavy diaper in 4 or 5 hours, then they may need the most absorbent diaper there is if they can't always change on a timely bases.  Same goes for a person who works a job in heavy denim coveralls, such as a mechanic, construction or road worker.  They may choose the heaviest and most absorbent diaper for convenience, especially if it's not very noticeable under work coveralls.  Each person and their various situations can be different.

• Like 1

I honestly think that 10,000ml is pretty much as high as diaper capacity should get. Any much more, and it's waste of materials and money. 1000ml is a liter, which is basically a quart (I know it's different), so a 10,000ml diaper holds approximately 10 quarts, or 2.5 gallons of liquid!! Of course that number is actually lower than that, but that is still alot of wee!! An average person produces up to 2qts/L of urine a day. I think that average person, consuming slightly more liquid than they need for proper hydration, needs to wear this diaper for many days to fill it up! 

Honestly, I think the so-called arms race is over at the 10,000ml mark. Now, as they play a bit of catch-up for capacity, it's time for manufacturers to concentrate on other diaper aspects. Including tapes (number of, ways of sticking, adjustability, etc) , pH control for skin health, leg gathers, outer shell material/colors/prints/strength/texture, inner liner material and softness, improved moisture wicking, odor control (peeing for 20+ hours is going to smell awful), and over all comfort and fit. 

Will there be a demand for an even bigger higher capacity diaper? Probably, and some manufacturer will make it, and many people will buy them! But I feel now "smaller" capacity diapers will begin to improve in other ways that will make them more attractive and better performing, other than just being able to hold over 2 gallons of pee! I think the future for our diapers is bright!

Frankly, these absorbency wars are a joke.  The claim is based on 1K absorbency for every 10g of SAP in the weave.  

Problem is, the ratio of pulp to SAP matters way more than the amount of SAP.  I learned this the hard way with my ill-fated diaper company.  Most of these diapers don't have anywhere near enough pulp in them to make most of that SAP matter - your ratio should be at bare minimum 7:3 pulp to SAP, ideally more like 9:1. 

So for some chucklehead bragging about stuffing 80g of SAP in their diaper, that thing better be waddle-thick at 720g of pulp for it to have any chance of actually realizing 8000mL of absorbency under real-world conditions. 

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, WBDaddy said:

Frankly, these absorbency wars are a joke.  The claim is based on 1K absorbency for every 10g of SAP in the weave.  

Problem is, the ratio of pulp to SAP matters way more than the amount of SAP.  I learned this the hard way with my ill-fated diaper company.  Most of these diapers don't have anywhere near enough pulp in them to make most of that SAP matter - your ratio should be at bare minimum 7:3 pulp to SAP, ideally more like 9:1. 

So for some chucklehead bragging about stuffing 80g of SAP in their diaper, that thing better be waddle-thick at 720g of pulp for it to have any chance of actually realizing 8000mL of absorbency under real-world conditions. 

There is something that these manufactures are hiding... is the weight of urine / water per volume in relation to the strenght of the plastic shell / outside layer of the diaper including the strengths of the fixing tapes, all that need to carry the weight of that liquid!

To put this in view, water weighs 1 gram per cubic centimeter at 25 degrees C. To make sense, roughly at body temperature (the temp of a worn wet diaper), 1 litre (1000ml) of water/urine weighs roughly 1 kg.

Velcro has a strenght of 2lbs per square inch. Diaper tapes are normaly 1-2 square inches. Therefore, a 2" squared area of diaper tape can hold 4lbs OR roughly 2kg. 

Therefore, an 8000ml (8 litre) full diaper weighs 8 kg or approx. 9-10 lbs plus the weight of the padding, shell etc. This all has to stay in place with the strength of the sticky surface / velcro fittings on the tabs.

Using the tapes as the limit, a diaper can only be, in total, 2kg OR hold only 2000ml max less the weight of the diaper itself. Otherwise, one of the tapes WILL fail.

Most people assume that since diapers have 2/4 tapes, it would evenly distribute the weight of the diaper equally on the tapes. While this is true with a stationary diaper wearer, when the person is mobile, using Newtons Laws of motion, it is highly likely that the full weight of a diaper will be placed on each of the individual tapes in turn depending on the motion of the individual.

Conclusion :-

Any diaper that claims more absorbancy than 2000ml is not only a waste of money, but can never meet its claims while in its designed use - as it will fall off unless used on a person that does not move. Even 2000ml absorbancy is impossible without enlarging diaper tapes much larger than currently used, as it does not allow for the original unused diaper weight plus the weight of the 2000ml of urine.

1 hour ago, babykeiff said:

There is something that these manufactures are hiding... is the weight of urine / water per volume in relation to the strenght of the plastic shell / outside layer of the diaper including the strengths of the fixing tapes, all that need to carry the weight of that liquid!

I agree but I think there's ANOTHER thing that gets hidden: the ability of the nappy to progressively disperse liquid for absorbance.

Having 7 liters of theoretical absorbency is of little use if the design of the nappy is such that it can't distribute pee across that absorbent field.

My experience of super-nappies is that all too often, they'll saturation-out at "ground zero" and start leaking despite having acres of dry padding available.

The ISO metric is of course ludicrous.  Regrettably, manufacturer response to this lapse in credibility seems to have been to come up with an even MORE ludicrous measurement methodology.

• Like 1

depends on why you wear.  If the point is to stay in one diaper as long as possible or changing isn' an option for a long period there is no such thing as too much.  For practical use the 500ish range seems to e the biggest and still be able to function.

• Like 1

The basic premise of this question is false since it implies that there CAN be such a thing as too much absorbency

19 hours ago, babykeiff said:

Therefore, an 8000ml (8 litre) full diaper weighs 8 kg or approx. 9-10 lbs plus the weight of the padding, shell etc. This all has to stay in place with the strength of the sticky surface / velcro fittings on the tabs.

Heh. It's even worse than that. 8 kg = 17.6 lbs.

49 minutes ago, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

The basic premise of this question is false since it implies that there CAN be such a thing as too much absorbency

I would disagree - based on these points plus others....

• Water/urine has a weight, and although difficult, even if diapers were made of graphene (supposedly the strongest material in the world), there is a point that the weight of water/urine would break this diaper.
  • Water, over time, will evaporate into the atmosphere. As a result, urine in a diaper gradually increases concentration. This also increases its acid level to the skin which equates more skin damage. This concept creates a need to change a diaper rather than continue to wear one that has more absorbancy.
  • Absorbancy is also related to physical size, and there is a point in size where the functionality of the diaper removes the ability of the wearer to move - which means at that level, a fixed position toilet would replace the diaper with more advantages than the diaper to the wearer.
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, Diapered hero said:

I didn't know that diapers could hold that much 

They really can't. It would require every gram of SAP and all the pulp absorbing as much urine as possible, which would take days for your body to produce. Plus if you sat down, your body weight would squeeze out some of the urine. Additionally you would need to consume that much liquid by both drinking and eating. Can you you drink 4 two litres of beverage a day?

On 4/23/2023 at 9:59 PM, ValentinesStuff said:

They really can't. It would require every gram of SAP and all the pulp absorbing as much urine as possible, which would take days for your body to produce. Plus if you sat down, your body weight would squeeze out some of the urine. Additionally you would need to consume that much liquid by both drinking and eating. Can you you drink 4 two litres of beverage a day?

Huh that's very interesting I have drank 4 30 ounce bottles of core water before 

On 4/24/2023 at 5:59 AM, ValentinesStuff said:

The average person's bladder can hold between 400-600 ml of urine per. If we use that figure, 1/2 litre, that would be 16 wettings per 24 hours OR approx, 1+ wetting every 2 hours. During waking hours and being over hydrated, these figures are possible, but overnight those figures for the average person are not really possible.

As a result, these type of diapers are only required for one who would produce close to 1000ml of urine every two hours OR in combination, produce close to 8000ml during a normal 6-8 hour sleep period where either:-

changing the paitent would be detrimental to the health of the paitent - i.e. waking overnight to change etc.

OR

personal convenience that the person changes self, and don't wish to wake to change / can't change self while asleep

Physics plus usage tend to suggest that diapers of this capacity are only for very specific special need.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cmp said:

Well I’m quite happy as long as I can waddle home I have enough protection 

I'm like that as well. As long as I can waddle and have enough to be protected from the adult world

• Like 1