LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

First Body-Scan at the Airport

Mysterion

Last weekend I traveled the first time by plane, while wearing pull-ups and plastic pants.
Of course, I knew about the Body-Scan in the security area.
But I travelled just with my wife and she knew about me wearing. So, I gave it a try – and finally: what can actually happen? It is not forbidden and not unusual. Especially, as I didn’t wet my pants before the check.
And: not much happened. I entered the Body Scan was checked and asked to go to a Security-Officer for a final “look”. On the way to him, I could see the control-screen and saw a yellow pattern, looking like pants. 
Only today I googled pictures of other screenings, because I thought this might be just a part which they weren’t allowed to check – but I was wrong: that were definitely my pull-ups :)
Arriving at the Security-Officer, he just fumbled at my belt and top of my jeans, but didn’t open it up.
For which I was pretty grateful, as I was standing in the middle of the Security Area with many other travelers around me.
But maybe he could feel the plastic-pants or saw a blink and after 5 seconds he let me go.

On our flight back, the Body-Scan-Device was different. It beeped for some reason and they asked me to put off my shoes. The only thing was: I was wearing black nylon stockings (my other liking :), which were pretty obvious the everyone waiting in the area. But again, no one cared about that either.

So, in case you want to fly: wear, what you want. And for the extra thrill, wet your pants before the check ?

• Like 3

I have TSAPre which usually means bypassing the scanner & going through a metal detector instead, however that's not always a guarantee. When I flew last I wet myself shortly after bag drop. Knowing that a random full screen could happen I elected to change into a fresh diaper before security. I'd just be too embarrassed to actually risk a full screen with even a slightly damp diaper. 

• Like 1

This is interesting, @woelkchen-2018, thank you for sharing. I've flown while wearing diapers maybe a eight or ten times now; it would have been a lot more than that, but the pandemic interrupted my normal travel routine. I'm starting to get back to the frequency I was at before. SO far, I've just been lucky, with respect to side-stepping the body scanner. First of all, in Canada, they don't employ it all the time - I think it might be reserved for flights to the US, or maybe there's some other discretionary factor that comes into play, because they have it at most TSA screening points, but it's not always in use. When it is in use, they always route people through it, and other people around it, for expediency, and I've just been lucky enough to get waived around it, and through the metal detector instead, since I started wearing diapers. 

The times that I was scanned in the before-times, they often checked around my waistband, because I tended to have a t-shirt and a shirt tucked in, which I guess creates some bulk that the machine highlights, so I have very little doubt that were I to have had a diaper on, they'd have wanted to do a closer inspection. For that reason, I've always worn plain white diapers, just in case I end up having them examined - I just figured it would be a bit less bruising to my dignity not to have what looks like a giant toddler diaper on, if I end up having to show it to anyone. 

One question I wrestle with, and am unsure about - fell free to offer your thoughts: normally when I'm anywhere out in public, other than walking my dog in my neighbourbood, I wear a t-shirt type onesie (diaper shirt, snap shirt), and when I have to take my belt off and then bend over and untie and retie my shoes, to me it makes perfect sense, in terms of avoiding my diaper showing up above my waistband. But, I've also often wondered about what would happen if an enterprising TSA agent did want to make sure that my pants weren't full of contraband or explosives, whether having a onesie one would make things more complicated, because unless I unsnap it, and pull it up, there's no way to know for sure what the hell I've got going on down there, whereas if I just have a diaper on with a t-shirt tucked in around it, if they investigate my waist, they'll quickly realize the situation, and hopefully, that will be that. 

Inevitably, I'm sure one day I'll get scanned in a diaper, and when I do, hopefully it will be the non-event you describe. 

• Like 1

I've been through the airport several times and always wearing some type of medical diaper -- mainly Dry 24/7. Never had a problem with scanning or pat-down or wand. I usually tell them before I go through that I am wearing a diaper. Most of the time they wave me through without comment or additional screening. Same thing happened getting onto cruise ship. I always take a backpack with additional diaper or two, wipes, creams, and a couple pairs of plastic pants. They look at that, but again, usually with little or no comment. Not a big deal.

• Like 1

Interesting, how different airports and countries treat the Body-Scan issue. 
We flew from Düsseldorf to London and back. I would welcome such a TSAPre treatment in Europe too, because the security area can be a pain in the ass sometimes….
But luckily it wasn’t too busy on our weekend.

Of course, I would not have worn any babylike diaper. My pull-ups with a transparent light-blue color pants would have looked ‘interesting’ enough. But as I said, no one bothered to have a closer look.
Probably the screen shot of the Body-Scan was obvious enough :)
And I’m not sure, if it does any good to tell the Security Officers anything in advance. I’d say this makes one more suspicious than without telling.

18 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

This is interesting, @woelkchen-2018, thank you for sharing. I've flown while wearing diapers maybe a eight or ten times now; it would have been a lot more than that, but the pandemic interrupted my normal travel routine. I'm starting to get back to the frequency I was at before. SO far, I've just been lucky, with respect to side-stepping the body scanner. First of all, in Canada, they don't employ it all the time - I think it might be reserved for flights to the US, or maybe there's some other discretionary factor that comes into play, because they have it at most TSA screening points, but it's not always in use. When it is in use, they always route people through it, and other people around it, for expediency, and I've just been lucky enough to get waived around it, and through the metal detector instead, since I started wearing diapers. 

Those full body scanners were (are?) very expensive so they were deployed slowly as funding became available.  

We flew one way first class to Europe and it made a difference getting through the checks.  Baggage got the priority tag, so it came out quick.  Coming back we were in cattle class and didn't have any delays going through security, but check in was painful.  We couldn't do pre-checkin (bag drop) for some stupid reason so  that added 20 minutes.

• Like 1

I wear mainly cloth diapers, and when on vacation or long trips, tended in the past to wear so I didn't need to worry if I slept.  Now, I need something all the time, just don't know when....

I think I have yet to get past the full body scanners (US major airports) in my (thick) cloth diapers without a secondary inspection of some sort.  Doesn't help that I will be at least a little damp (from sweat if nothing else) prior to the check. 

• Like 1

Things have gotten BETTER on the whole.  Yes, I got TSA Pre-Check and I highly recommend it. Way back…in the 2003-5 time frame, it was awful.  I got strip searched once in a broom closet and it was both humiliating and creepy.  Since then, I’ve resolved to stay in public…no matter what.  Why?  Because they will be less intrusive in a public place.  Way back then, I had a TSA worker fumble through my backpack carry-on and pull out a diaper, display it to the crowd, and ask in a loud voice, “what is this?”  Yeah…awkward.  ??‍♂️  Thankfully, nothing has happened in recent years.  

• Like 3

In my case, I go TSA PRe, which FTR- is a must.  I always go through with a Pull Up, and then put a diaper on after I get through secruity.

In my experience- in Europe/middle east (I don't have enough experience in Asia) are very sensitive to wetness.  USA- I don't honestly know

5 hours ago, Scotty.97645 said:

Things have gotten BETTER on the whole.  Yes, I got TSA Pre-Check and I highly recommend it. Way back…in the 2003-5 time frame, it was awful.  I got strip searched once in a broom closet and it was both humiliating and creepy.  Since then, I’ve resolved to stay in public…no matter what.  Why?  Because they will be less intrusive in a public place.  Way back then, I had a TSA worker fumble through my backpack carry-on and pull out a diaper, display it to the crowd, and ask in a loud voice, “what is this?”  Yeah…awkward.  ??‍♂️  Thankfully, nothing has happened in recent years.  

This sounds like a true ABDL-Horror-Movie ??
Seems, as if things are not too bad with the security check today after all.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Scotty.97645 said:

Way back then, I had a TSA worker fumble through my backpack carry-on and pull out a diaper, display it to the crowd, and ask in a loud voice, “what is this?”  Yeah…awkward.  ??‍♂️  Thankfully, nothing has happened in recent years.  

If it had been me, I would have pulled out paper and pen, wrote down the TSA worker's name and calmly said, "Thank you.  I will be reporting you to the ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act) and the TSA.  Good luck on your next job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In case anything should go badly with the American TSA (Transportation Security Administration), here is the link to file a complaint:  https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/complaints

Hope it helps.  

For airline consumer complaints, file both with the Airline company and the FAA:  https://airconsumer.dot.gov/escomplaint/ConsumerForm.cfm

Since I’ve had my wheelchair damaged or misplaced more often than I can recall, I’ve had to use both of these avenues.

The last time I flew was in 2016. I was flying from Manchester Boston regional airport to Orlando. When I got to Manchester Boston regional, it was quite easy for me to go through the process. I simply rolled up to the TSA agent, emptied my pockets of all things that are inside, put them in a black plastic bin similar to a wash tub, and then went through the checks. At no time did they fumble with my belt, or try to pull my pants down, or do anything of that nature.

the individuals that scanned me were very nice. I was in a wheelchair myself, so the first thing that they did was to tell me that everything was going to be fine, then they turned me around so I could see my family as they were going through the line. I had deposited everything that I had in my pockets into black bins that look like wash tubs. Then they turned me around so I could see my family behind me, and my brother Michael helped me with my on board bag, and they looked to that very quickly, they ended up looking in my computer to make sure that there was nothing out of the ordinary, and they gave it right back to me.

With all of the carry-on stuff looked at, they started asking me questions about where I was going, how long I was gonna stay, and all that good stuff, and then they took a wipe and told me exactly what they were going to do, exactly where they were going to wipe the wipe, and exactly what they were looking for. They would use the wipe in accordance with what they told me, get a specimen of each area they wanted to check, and everything turned out fine. At that time, was not wearing diapers so it wasn't a big deal, and I don't think it would have been because I'm already in a wheelchair, and they knew that from the start. I had to call the TSA before I even left Vermont, because I wanted to find out about my wheelchair and its batteries. Normally when they find batteries on board a wheelchair, they would either tell you to take them off your chair and put them in specialized boxes are locked them down, or I would have to put in solid pieces of plastic to cover the tire hubs, because that's where the battery set. I was prepared to do this, but then found out pleasantly that I was not required to do so. They found out that these batteries were lithium-ion, and that they would stay within the hubs, and once that was established, the TSA just let me go through. They said that they were worried about lead acid batteries as late, like the ones that they find in automobiles, because they don't want to put anything that might explode or catch fire in the hold of the aircraft.

Because I had priority boarding, after they ran me through the security scanning, and they didn't even have to run me through a scanner, they just used a wand if they had any questions, I was passed through security and waited on the other side of the gate. Most airports have it set up so that you have a place that you can go for things like food or souvenirs or magazines or something like that, that is before your security screen, so anytime that you want to go somewhere before they run you through security screen you can be on one side of the airport. Once you go through the TSA screen, you can go to the other side of the airport where you've gone through security and you're all set. Once I went through the airport security screen my brother Mike and I had lunch together, waiting for the call to the aircraft. Once that was complete, I went to the appropriate gate and waited. They pre boarded my flight, and then we had a flight attendant/ ramp attendant take me from the boarding area right down the jetway to the aircraft. It was simple as pie. I simply transferred from my chair doing a side to side transfer to the aircraft seat. They gave me my carry on, and I put it next to me on my seat, and because I was the only one in that seat I was able to have a whole seat to myself to the right side window. I asked the flight attendant about using my computer, and she told me that I could not use it until we were airborne, so I didn't take it out of the bag until then. Once we were airborne, it was really easy, and I was able to get what I wanted right away. I had to pay for the access to the Internet while I was flying down to Florida from New Hampshire, but it was really interesting period at the time, I was able to get to Tallahassee free Nets online connection from the air, which means I was online and in the air going to Orlando while connecting there.

Basically it was quite easy, because all you have to do is be able to prove the TSA that whatever you're carrying is within the limits they sat, and my wheelchair was not anything that was dangerous according to what they stated. Because of that I was able to roll the chair onto the aircraft make a side to side transfer, and the flight attendants and ramp attendants took my chair to the aircraft hold, and told me when I got out of my chair that my chair would be brought to me right off the jetway onto the aircraft when I landed in Orlando. Once I was on board the plane, I was in heaven, I was finally able to go back to Florida, and the whole thing was so awesome, because at the end I was able to complete something that I wanted to do for so many years: go back to Florida: the other thing I wanted to do was to see my brother Eric and his family. I was able to do that as well, we spent a week together down there in Florida, we went to a couple of the attractions, a water park, and Universal Studios where I was able to get a lightsaber a Yoda and a couple of other things including the new, at the time, Star Wars movie.

On the way back, it was not too bad either: I had already gone through the things I needed to, so it was real easy. Got back to Manchester Boston regional and was able to get back to Vermont in two hours. Had a lot of fun down there, and someday I want to return, but probably won't be for a while yet. The point is that if you have the right setups, going through TSA checks is not a problem, because they are aware of you having a disability or a mobility issue, and they already know you need your wheelchair, so they're not going to give you too much difficulty. I think that what would cause them issue is if you did not let them know what was going on and you were trying to be evasive, causing them some concerns. I thought it was real easy, because they told me everything they were doing, everything they were going to do, and they were talking to me the entire time. If I had a question, I was able to ask them, and it was no sweat.

So wearing diapers is no big deal either: the only thing that I would worry about is if somebody was going to try to pull a stunt similar to what went on with Whitney Houston: she was doing drugs, and apparently tried to hide drugs in her daughter's diaper so that they wouldn't be able to catch it. Because babies wear diapers, I guess they think that no one is going to worry about that, so she tried to have her daughter carry the drugs innocently. That didn't work, and Whitney was arrested. I don't think I would try a stunt like that, and I'm not sure what the heck was going on, because it doesn't look good when a mother is carrying her daughter through this security gates and her diaper is full of drugs, regardless of how much. One of the things that you should never do when you go through a security screen is to try to pull one over on the TSA, because they will catch you eventually, and you will have to answer to them.

So basically, I went through with no trouble. If they wanted to scan me, they would just use a portable wand, which they did. I think I also told them that I had metal pins in my hips, so they are aware of that when it happened. There was no risk of any damage to anything I was carrying, so it wasn't a big deal, and I wasn't carrying anything that I shouldn't have, so that didn't cause any concern either. My point is, if you work with the TSA they will work with you, and if they do anything wrong, I would definitely report them, but when I went through everything was OK, and I had a wheelchair and lithium ion batteries, which concerned me, but once I got there they weren't concerned.

Brian

In the 'before times' I traveled a lot for work... "a lot" meaning United 1K, so I've had my share of experiences.  I always travel diapered, first because I want to :), but also because I will wet in my sleep pretty much anywhere, and I'll usually fall asleep on the plane.  If it's an international trip and I'm jet lagged, I might fall asleep anywhere.  So, whether I "want" to or not, a diaper is usually warranted.  I'll wear something thinner (Molicare Super Air Premium used to be my go-to) for short flights or ground travel, and something a lot thicker (Betterdry, or 24/7, or such) If I'm settling in for a trans-continental flight.

I've found the US (with TSA-Pre) usually the easiest to get through.  I rarely have any issues at all wearing disposable and a onesie.  Asian airports... no one cares at all.  I don't think I've ever been bothered going through China, Korea, Japan, India, etc.  They're mostly concerned with keeping the lines moving. 

European airports are where I've had the most problems, in particular Frankfurt for some reason... several times there I've had had to whisper "Windel" to the security person as they poked, prodded, and tried to figure out what the bulk was.  Of course, no one I knew or cared about was there, so I was able to easily just carry on once things were straightened out.

I know everyone saying body scan this and body scan that. What about when you have to raise your hands up for the actual scanning process?? My diaper would surly be peaking out the top of my pants for all to see!!! Anyone have that happen? 

• 2 weeks later...

I have flown many times since going 24/7. Most recently last week. Body scanners at Heathrow showed the yellow mass in my crotch. I told him I wore nappies. No big deal. Until they found the knife in my carry-on but they let me go, after calling the police and adding me on some checklist. Diapers OK. Knifes not OK. Locking blade knives, and slingshots are illegal in the UK btw, as a little old lady and me soon found out. 

I would suggest, if possible, to change right before security if going through a body scanner. If a metal detector, it doesn't matter. I don't think it matters much either way.

• Like 1

I went through a body scan back in August and I needed to be pat down. I never had to be taken to a room to be padded down more nor was I asked to remove anything. If you are wet, it will beep to cause them to pat you. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, PuraVidaDip said:

Locking blade knives, and slingshots are illegal in the UK btw, as a little old lady and me soon found out. 

How about rocks, screwdrivers, and hammers? There's a lot of ways an evil person can hurt someone...

• Like 1

I've been groped in the crotch with a diaper on after getting "randomly selected."   So far no other problems with either the nud-o-vision of the WTMD.    Since I'm precheck I. usually get the latter, but I was overseas recently and got hit up with it there.

5 hours ago, Diapered Dave said:

How about rocks, screwdrivers, and hammers? There's a lot of ways an evil person can hurt someone...

@Diapered Dave

In the US some of those items (all?) will get confiscated at the security checkpoint.  You can take a hex (screw) driver through, and you can take small bits (i.e. hex based short screw driver tips, etc.), but take a long screw driver through and it will (likely) get confiscated.  For work that's why we take kits that have the short bits to add to the hex driver for the other types of tips we need.

And yes, sometimes they can miss something.  I got hit with having to go through a security check point on a plane transfer on a non-direct flight, and was trying to figure out what they were trying to find.  Once I got home I finally figured it out.  (I won't mention the specific item here).  I had gotten through the initial security screening with no issue....  When I got home, yes, there was one item I should have put in checked luggage but didn't remember about a feature of something I had in my hand carried items. 

• Like 1

I usually carry cheap cigar lighters with me which are technically not permitted, but have never been interdicted.   They did take a corkscrew off me once (I liked that one) because it had a very small (1") blade on it for cutting foil.

Strangest one is they pick up my bag from the X-ray and ask if I have any liquids in it.   No, says I.   How about powders?   Don't know.   Oops, they open it and find my container of (thankfully, foot rather than baby) powder.   That's actually legal, they just needed to make sure it wasn't a liquid and they couldn't tell from the image.

The other strange time was I put my briefcase on the belt and the TSA agent on the input side places something on top of it and gives me the "don't say anything" sign.   I hustle through the metal detector so I can see what comes up on the X-Ray screen.   It was clearly a hand grenade.   They were testing the operator of the machine.    Fortunately, he did catch it.

• Like 1

What do you need to take a screwdriver and bits on a plane for?  In case the hinges come loose on the overhead bins?  Same for a corkscrew.  I'm sure the flight attendant will open your wine for you.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, rusty pins said:

What do you need to take a screwdriver and bits on a plane for?  In case the hinges come loose on the overhead bins?  Same for a corkscrew.  I'm sure the flight attendant will open your wine for you.

@rusty pins

Since you ask: Needing to use tools at the destination -- for work....  If one has checked baggage, you can put it in that, but if you are trying to perform a quick support trip (in and out in a day or so), sometime you are traveling light.  Due to incontinence issues, it is highly unlikely you will find me traveling light on aircraft any more....

13 hours ago, willnotwill said:

I usually carry cheap cigar lighters with me which are technically not permitted, but have never been interdicted.   They did take a corkscrew off me once (I liked that one) because it had a very small (1") blade on it for cutting foil.

@willnotwill I "love" (not) the time they wanted to confiscate the small fingernail clippers because of the fold out nail file on it.  Sometimes it gets ridiculous.

13 hours ago, willnotwill said:

Strangest one is they pick up my bag from the X-ray and ask if I have any liquids in it.   No, says I.   How about powders?   Don't know.   Oops, they open it and find my container of (thankfully, foot rather than baby) powder.   That's actually legal, they just needed to make sure it wasn't a liquid and they couldn't tell from the image.

Its gotten to the point I pull the bottle of baby powder out of my carry on luggage and place it visible on its own on the x-ray stream to get that cleared through security.  As a single item, they will pull just that item, and then run the chemical detector on it....  I have yet to get a full talc bottle through the x-ray check without second screening.

Combine that with the delay from the nude-o-vision, they are usually waiting for me to proceed with the powder chemical check.