LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

J&J to stop selling baby powder?

Jbo

This is horrible news, I love this scent!! Is there any other powder with a scent that is just as good? I heard the cornstarch one is to gritty. Some people’s body reacts differently to certain ingredients, I feel the frivolous lawsuits are really destroying our country just so some people can get rich quick, I suppose we should stop making diet drinks too due to a certain ingredient that can cause cancer in those drinks.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Plus it’s been around for just over a century, if it was that dangerous millions of babies would have died.

1 hour ago, puffy_bottom said:

I've been using cornstarch baby powder for the last 15 years because my partner brought up this safety issue to me and I think it's perfectly fine. I adore the Johnson and Johnson lavender scented powder.

That's what I use. I'm sure they will come up with a suitable replacement.

• Like 2

I have used talc all my life. This is just another example of how come lawyer jokes abounde If I do not have ovaries, why should I be cheated of something I can use?

This was in the news in late 1919 so why are not the suits summarily dismissed https://www.ajmc.com/focus-of-the-week/jama-study-finds-no-link-between-talc-powder-ovarian-cancer

• Thanks 1

The powder with the alleged asbestos (talc)  is being discontinued - the cornstarch is NOT !

• Thanks 2
29 minutes ago, BabyLock said:

The powder with the alleged asbestos (talc)  is being discontinued - the cornstarch is NOT !

I hope this is true. I use an array of the J&J powder each day even when not diapered up. It's very effective in cutting down moisture down there and smells wonderful. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BabyLock said:

I’m hearing the cornstarch one doesn’t smell like the original j&j , is this true?

2 hours ago, Jbo said:

I’m hearing the cornstarch one doesn’t smell like the original j&j , is this true?

Not only that, but it feels strange. Kind of creepy

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, AwakenEvil said:

Never heard of this brand...

The Original baby powder:  Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder.  It's been in use for at least my 59 years and has probably been around for much longer than that.

It used to come in a metal shaker tin (tin plated steel) bottle until they started using plastic on everything.

• Like 1

I rarely use powder --- bought a giant 2-pack at the warehouse club a long time ago and still have 1 unopened.  But... next trip out I may pick up some more if they have any. 

I once tried the corn starch variety... but like most, I didn't like it.  I'm not even sure if I ever used up the entire bottle or tossed it out.

I would be more concerned about the asbestos in a pop-corn ceiling*** than what's in the J & J powder.

*** Pop-Corn ceiling - that is the spray on stuff that makes a textured effect on an ordinary flat plain ceiling -

used for a great many years circa prior to the 90's until it was discovered as like other cancer elements.

No worry or alarm the pop-corn ceiling you have now is just a form of plaster of paris.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 5:52 AM, Jbo said:

This is horrible news, I love this scent!! Is there any other powder with a scent that is just as good? I heard the cornstarch one is to gritty. Some people’s body reacts differently to certain ingredients, I feel the frivolous lawsuits are really destroying our country just so some people can get rich quick, I suppose we should stop making diet drinks too due to a certain ingredient that can cause cancer in those drinks.

You're right on the money. I like the classic baby powder too! Maybe they'll bring it back eventually but I don't see that happening. That powder really does complete the whole baby thing. I love it so much!?♥️ It won't be the same without it.?

On 5/20/2020 at 10:59 AM, Jbo said:

It doesn’t. However, maybe it’s just me, it kind of smells like the old school Pampers...

Women don't spray popcorn ceilings on the nether regions.  J&J got caught lying on this one and it's ending badly for them.    The loss of it for baby use is just collateral damage.

• Like 1

Regarding "Asbestos" found in talcum powder, I discovered recently that my understanding that asbestos is a certain type of mineral has been wrong all along.  Asbestos isn't one specific type of mineral but rather a certain crystalline structure in a number of different minerals.  Talcum is a Magnesium/Silicon clay mineral and Asbestos crystals of the same mineral may be found in the same ore that is used for talc.  This means that careless examination and sorting of the ore  containing the Magnesium Silicate can cause those crystals to be in the finished product.

Unfortunately, with what is known today about the dangers of asbestos, including Mesothelioma (a lung cancer), I suspect the writing is on the wall for the future of talc in baby powder.  Already CVS apparently no longer carries ANY baby powder products on their shelves that I could see, that contain talc.  This means we will have to all get use to the gritty texture of cornstarch unless technology can successfully break cornstarch down further into a similar powder grain to talcum.  

I expect that Johnson's will (if they haven't already) release their original scent in the cornstarch variety since they no longer will be producing the mineral based powder and the scent of J&J  Original powder is iconic and couldn't possibly be retired  (unlike, apparently the original Lysol spray scent which I cannot find anywhere!).

• 1 month later...

They have made the best of a baed bargain. They have two kinds. Lavender. which smells like a restrrom and some in a container with a light blue design in front. That has, while not a baby smell, one that is distinctly feminine, which is tolerable. But I can imagine using this on a little boy (it would put him in his place; maybe make him potty train faster after the third time Aunt Ernestine says "I see the baby girl is still in diapers") or DL

JJBP.jpg

One bad thing is that it leaves a residue on things, especially hands, that interferes with one's sense of touch

I have been using cornstarch baby power every diaper change for years. The Walmart and Superstore (Canada) brands have very nice baby scents. The J & J also smell nice. I just like to mix up what I use from time to time. 

I have avoided cornstarch for years because it feels alien, does not smell right and leaves a nasty residue

• 4 months later...

I was ( and still am ) quite bummed out about this when I first heard it, i mean I can understand the concern to remove it from shelves, but what mainly bugs me is I didn't hear about it until much after that was announced. had I known a bit sooner I would have stalked up on the brand, ( I only have two bottles of the original stuff stored away and am sort of debating if I should just keep them as a sort of keepsake  lol ) cause one thing I loved about their original brand was no doubt the scent, it always put me in such a " Little/ABDL mood when ever I smell it, sure other powders still have that sorta scent to them and even the cornstarch type I don't find that bad honestly, so I am still content with using other powder brands and such, but nothing quite matches up to the original J&J Baby powder formula, though I had heard that even that had changed over time, but still a shame to see it go.