LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Ouch! My wallet hurts

A/C has not been able to keep up this year and it's been close to 80 in the house most evenings. Finally got someone out here to look at it and found the blower is going (Heat and A/C blower) as well as the freon leaking.

Need to replace the entire system.

Anyone have a spare $8159 laying around? lol

We are in the same boat. I we turned it on a week ago and it hasn't been doing much. We are trying to get through to the fall and maybe we will have the cash.

Yep, blower goes, everything goes. We could "fix" it for 2500 but it's 15 years old now and once parts start going... better to just take the bitter pill and get it done.

My family was in a similar situation a few years ago. Our neighbor's blower went right before the summer began and we had a system that was just as old and while not exhibiting any immediate problems, just as likely to fail. Not wanting to have our air compressor die in 100 degree July weather, we opted to replace our heat/AC simultaneously before the summer really started. The bill was definitely painful, but the upside was that there were tax credits for moving to a more energy efficient system, and the new equipment works a lot better than what we had before too. (Runs almost constantly while using far less energy and keeping the house a lot cooler/warmer at the same time. This is definitely a positive since my room and the one next to it tend to go to extremes when it comes to temperature.)

a Blower costs around $700.00 brand new, did the guy say where it is leaking from? I take it it is an R-22 Refrigerant system so its gonna be costly to re charge all the way. usually 80% of A/C leaks are Shradar valve leaks and can be repaired quite easily without replacing any A/C lines and only run about $4.00 or so. I had the A/C repaired on my 99 Honda accord for roughly $150.00 due to a failed shradar valve. If I were in your Shoes I would buy Window A/C systems for the rooms you use the most, that way, you get relive from the heat. And when winter rolls around get some Heaters or, Just replace the Blower and you will still have Heat from your Furnace. :)

I forget where he said the leak was at, but he did quote the blower at $550 so I trust him (have used them for 20+ years)

6800 was the lowest we could get everything, but we opted for some energy efficiency upgrades in both the heater (two-stage gas valve and variable speed blower)

I forget where he said the leak was at, but he did quote the blower at $550 so I trust him (have used them for 20+ years)

6800 was the lowest we could get everything, but we opted for some energy efficiency upgrades in both the heater (two-stage gas valve and variable speed blower)

just get a window unit, we got as fairly big house, the main area is 28x32, not counting the bedroom area, 2nd floor or basement, and a window unit is all we need, it does have to be a fairly powerful one that we needed to run a number 10 cable for(10/3 with ground if remember) but it does the job and much cheaper than trying to install a central air unit

Our unit gets total shade in the afternoon, all the sun is on the front of the house then.

Guy said the same thing about the tonnange when I mentioned possibly going larger. So same size, but more effiecent

Get the A/C guy to fix the leak and recharge the system. That should cost no more than $500.

Find the parts supplier for the brand you have and get a new blower motor. Should be no more than $150. Easy to change, just a couple of bolts. Take the squirrel cage fans off the blower motor shaft, a small

Get the A/C guy to fix the leak and recharge the system. That should cost no more than $500.

Find the parts supplier for the brand you have and get a new blower motor. Should be no more than $150. Easy to change, just a couple of bolts. Take the squirrel cage fans off the blower motor shaft, a small

You should do what I did, install a heat pump. It both cools in the summer and heats in the winter. In BC where I am it is about 30 degrees Celsius outside, inside a cool 24. It wasn't cheap but if you have central heating with a oil/ natural gas furnace they can use the existing duct work.

We have a heat pump now and it hasn't worked out for us.

Plus ditching the electric pump is what is getting us rebates and good financing rates from the gas company

Edited by DailyDi

First if your fan goes out in many cases you can replace it your self.

As far as i know no A/C company uses custom built fan motors.

If you look on the fan motor you will find a frame # and shaft size and length

Buying from a company that stocks motors for industry use.can save up to 100s of dollars.

Back when i worked in the trade the place i work for had a 100 to 120% markup on the price they payed and the price you payed for the part.

This was on top of the repair time cost.

And if your motor was made in china you can replace it with a better built made in the US motor in many cases. this will save you money in the long run.

Edited by anned

Seems the unit may be undersized or you may need better insulation and house envelope sealing. Best to start with cutting existing losses (sealing) first as it has a better cost-benefit ratio. In a leaky old house, just a few tubes of caulking used well can save you 5-10% on your HVAC bill, pretty darn good for a $10 investment