LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Disappointing Diaper Design changes

JohnVZoid

What would you say have been some Disappointing changes to a Design of Diaper you liked.

I would say Tykables Lil Rawrz, as I liked the Yellow sides and was fine with the Flaming Meteors (some people hate them, I guess)

• Like 1

I found the down-sizing of the large size of some of the Rearz products somewhat depressing. Once upon a time, I was a medium in most products, then, I graduated to large (except in the MegaMax, where I can still wear a medium). Then, Rearz shrank their large sizes, pushing me into XL diapers that are really too big in most proportions. The issue for me is my tree trunk-like legs, at the waist, I could probably still squeeze into a medium, but my thighs make the bottom tabs fail to reach the landing zone. 

Their large size "medium-duty" diapers such as the Lil' Monsters & Splash and Bella's were perfect for daytime wearing, providing a good cruising range and fitting discretely under clothing. Their XL's hold a decent amount, for sure, but they feel big on me - they rise up my back a fair bit and and well above my belly button at the front, more like an overnight or at-home diaper. I'll get a feeling that something is rubbing or bunching half way up my back, and then realize it's my diaper, lol. I still wear them all the time, but always with a onesie if I'm leaving the house. 

• Like 1

I've noticed the most recent case of BetterDry's seem to have less absorbant material inside them.

I haven't confirmed this yet 100%, but I do have some older BetterDry's wrapped up in a travel pack so I could actually prove this theory.

Hopefully the next case will be up to expectations.

They're still great comfortable thirsty diapers, but I don't appreciate if they remove capacity without reducing the cost to the consumer.

• Like 1

I suspect over time a lot of companies (diaper and other) will slowly start to cut back on the quality of their products, not so quickly that people will suddenly notice, but over time.  A premium adult diaper that is popular and a good seller may start to reduce a bit on the absorbent material which over time can save them thousands of dollars while you still pay the same.  Only as time goes by will you suspect they aren't as good as they used to be.  Only way to compare is to test them against an old version a few years back.  If you test against one just a few months older, the difference my be so subtle that you really wouldn't notice, which is what the manufacturer is after.

I remember 45 years ago when a bag of potato chips was 16 ounces.  Then for the same price it was cut to 14 and then 13 ounces.  Then 11 ounces and now it's like 8-1/2 ounces for the same or higher price.  Another story I remember when I was in Junior High.  Back in the 1940's when canned goods had their tops sealed with solder, a Campbells exec. asked production how many drops of solder was used to seal each can.  The reply was 40.  He said cut back to 34 drops.  About half of them in 100 leaked.  They tried 35 drops, better but still too many leaks.  36 drops and 2 out of 100 leaked.  At 37 drops of solder there were no leaks per 100 cans and cutting back on those 3 extra drops of solder per can saved the company thousands of dollars.  It's those little details a company does that increases their profits.  Slowly cutting back on quality of a diaper so as not to be too noticeable also saves a lot of money until it backfires and they start loosing business because their customers are switching to a better product.  It's all greed.  They think it's a way to keep the cost of a product the same as base material prices rise, but I'm sure most people would rather pay a little more as costs go up to remain with the quality the have known all along.

11 minutes ago, rusty pins said:

I suspect over time a lot of companies (diaper and other) will slowly start to cut back on the quality of their products, not so quickly that people will suddenly notice, but over time.  A premium adult diaper that is popular and a good seller may start to reduce a bit on the absorbent material which over time can save them thousands of dollars while you still pay the same.  Only as time goes by will you suspect they aren't as good as they used to be.  Only way to compare is to test them against an old version a few years back.  If you test against one just a few months older, the difference my be so subtle that you really wouldn't notice, which is what the manufacturer is after.

I remember 45 years ago when a bag of potato chips was 16 ounces.  Then for the same price it was cut to 14 and then 13 ounces.  Then 11 ounces and now it's like 8-1/2 ounces for the same or higher price.  Another story I remember when I was in Junior High.  Back in the 1940's when canned goods had their tops sealed with solder, a Campbells exec. asked production how many drops of solder was used to seal each can.  The reply was 40.  He said cut back to 34 drops.  About half of them in 100 leaked.  They tried 35 drops, better but still too many leaks.  36 drops and 2 out of 100 leaked.  At 37 drops of solder there were no leaks per 100 cans and cutting back on those 3 extra drops of solder per can saved the company thousands of dollars.  It's those little details a company does that increases their profits.  Slowly cutting back on quality of a diaper so as not to be too noticeable also saves a lot of money until it backfires and they start loosing business because their customers are switching to a better product.  It's all greed.  They think it's a way to keep the cost of a product the same as base material prices rise, but I'm sure most people would rather pay a little more as costs go up to remain with the quality the have known all along.

Hershey's sold chocolate bars for a nickel. As costs increased the bars shrank but the price remained the same. The packaging included a small cardboard tray the size of the original bar in a wrapper, this stayed the same. So the package remained the same as the ever shrinking bar rattled around. Eventually the size complaints got to be enoughx, that they went back to the original size and doubled the price.

Molicare Slip Changed the type of plastic they use and the new plastic sucks, the new plastic will tear where you place the tape and they will also tear when you try to put them on, I did find they will tear less if you place the tapes on the plastic where there is no padding , place the top tapes up high above the padding and the tapes on the legs are more difficult but again try to place the tapes below the padding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's true that cloth backed diapers have had issues over the years, Northshore now makes a cloth back diaper called Megamax AirLock. I have used these quite extensively for a few weeks now with no leaks or issues.  Now I will say that I haven't had this same experience in years past. But I think that several manufacturers will move more towards cloth back in the future. Hopefully they get it right and continue to serve an ever expanding client base.

https://www.northshorecare.com/adult-diapers/adult-diapers-with-tabs/northshore-megamax-airlock-tab-style-briefs

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Three Rivers said:

But I think that several manufacturers will move more towards cloth back in the future. Hopefully they get it right and continue to serve an ever expanding client base.

I do hope you're wrong.  I absolutely despise cloth backed diapers.  I'm hoping manufacturers go the opposite way and re-introduce higher quality plastic backed diapers.  I know that's not the way the world is headed but a guy can dream....

• Like 2
On 9/22/2023 at 3:16 AM, CodHero24 said:

I've noticed the most recent case of BetterDry's seem to have less absorbant material inside them.

I haven't confirmed this yet 100%, but I do have some older BetterDry's wrapped up in a travel pack so I could actually prove this theory.

They're still great comfortable thirsty diapers, but I don't appreciate if they remove capacity without reducing the cost to the consumer.

THIS...  I've just started on my next case of BetterDry and I've immediately noticed that by morning, most, if not all of the padding is wet. 

So I weighed half a dozen of them dry.  The average unit weight was 226g.  I then compared this to the longitudinal study I did back in July 2020 to find that THEN, the average weight of a dry BetterDry was 231g.  It's not a huge difference and they STILL work but the data says it IS a couple of percent which sounded a lot like @rusty pins's 3 drops of solder...  I also know it by another name: "shrink-flation".

I can remember when I worked for a large global manufacturer, we had teams of engineers trying to take cents out of a product that probably cost $2K or more because over a production run of a couple of million units or so, it adds up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2023 at 12:16 PM, CodHero24 said:

I wear Betterdry also at night and I have not noticed the change between my last case and the one I just got. I love them! I sure hope I don't have to find another alternative. I was wearing Abena at night but they got thinner and now they are my daytime diaper (used to use North Shore Lite or Tranquility ATN for day)

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I loved attends in the 80s and early 80s until the were bought out. You could get them from walmart. then they were never the same. I loved everything about them. the waistband where the best the smell. During that time I think they were the best out there. Next is Abena M3. Every year early on the changed the patterns on them witch was great all though it was not babyish. Abena moved to a thinner diaper a a moment. and after about 3 or 4 months they went back to there originals but over time the quality got worst and worst.  Recently is Northshore and its not the quality it the price of shipping.  They have made free shipping so high that you have to buy 2 cases at a time. I find it hard to pay and store this many diapers.

the attends change is without a doubt the worst offense. its so hard to find a great basic diaper like those old attends- something easy to wear everyday with also looking really cute. weve never really seen anything like them since. the worst ABDL change is anything bambinos made after belissimos- aka any all over print or the bizzare "clipart patterns." im glad they still make the landing strip designs still but man everything else is crap

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 9/21/2023 at 1:16 PM, CodHero24 said:

Isn't that normal for everything? Reduce size or quantity and charge more?

Haven't really noticed any capacity change myself, but that's not saying much. For the first time ever, I completely overwhelmed a Better Dry more than I ever have. It soaked the bed pad and my shirt, but the pad saved the day. The onesie and the pad went immediately into the washer. I never had it this bad and made such a pee mess that I ended up in the shower and hosed down myself as well as my ever present plastics. Wow. I don't know what caused so much pee.

15 hours ago, ppdude said:

Isn't that normal for everything? Reduce size or quantity and charge more?

So true.  I remember as a kid potato chips came in a 16 ounce bag.  Then 14, 13, 12, 10 and now you get a bag and it's 7-1/2 ounces.  And the price keeps going up!  The way of life and profits.  Get less, pay more.  Same with diapers, and they always call it "New and Improved".

And Rusty, if you're in line to pay, they sell a bag very small of chips maybe 10 oz, and its like $2.79. And if you went back to the chip isle you get a big bag for maybe a buck more... I don't get that at all? But the problem is the people want to get $15 an hr and then they think 🤔 💭 the price on everything is not gonna go up?? Do they think the company is going to eat that? They let people go and raise the price, here we don't even go to the fast food places , anymore. It's about $20 just for my wife and me to get a couple burgers , and thats if I don't get a drink. . And for $10 more we can get a nice sit down restaurant that will make much better Food and servers take care of you.

On 9/21/2023 at 5:46 PM, rusty pins said:

I remember 45 years ago when a bag of potato chips was 16 ounces.

On 10/27/2023 at 7:20 AM, rusty pins said:

So true.  I remember as a kid potato chips came in a 16 ounce bag.

You don’t remember, though, already telling that anecdote in this thread! 😄

On 9/28/2023 at 2:44 PM, oznl said:

THIS...  I've just started on my next case of BetterDry and I've immediately noticed that by morning, most, if not all of the padding is wet.

I'm glad to see some talk about this, as I noticed the same thing about my last couple cases of BetterDry. A BetterDry with a northshore booster has been my overnight diaper every night for years, and I've definitely noticed a change in capacity recently. I could usually stay in this diaper through the night and into a good chunk of the next morning, but lately I'm hitting capacity as soon as I wake up. I had the sense something was different about them - it almost seems like I accidentally got the capacity of their newer BetterDry Day diapers, just packaged as regular BetterDry - but wondered if maybe I had an isolated incident.

On 9/20/2023 at 9:53 PM, Crinklz Kat said:

When Crinklz V1 was discontinued and V2 introduced.   Not to say the original version was superior, but the original print was certainly superior.

Can you be more specific? I started wearing the Aquanauts quit a while ago. I thought it more fitting than the Astronaut print as I'm swimming in pee.

On 10/31/2023 at 11:51 AM, DiaperboyTrav said:

I'm glad to see some talk about this, as I noticed the same thing about my last couple cases of BetterDry. A BetterDry with a northshore booster has been my overnight diaper every night for years, and I've definitely noticed a change in capacity recently. I could usually stay in this diaper through the night and into a good chunk of the next morning, but lately I'm hitting capacity as soon as I wake up. I had the sense something was different about them - it almost seems like I accidentally got the capacity of their newer BetterDry Day diapers, just packaged as regular BetterDry - but wondered if maybe I had an isolated incident.

BetterDry is my daily driver. I have not noticed any change except for my output which has gone up substantially. Seems to hold the same, but I'm filling it faster. It has 4 pees in it and still has room for more. I feel the need to push it to the point of failure.

30 minutes ago, ppdude said:

Can you be more specific? I started wearing the Aquanauts quit a while ago. I thought it more fitting than the Astronaut print as I'm swimming in pee.

The current Crinklz "original" was a derivative of the original print.  The original print was much larger.   They sort of returned to this with the Buccaneer and Fairy Tale patterns, but would really like to see the "Original" go back to this simpler design.

I HATE cloth-backed diapers. They do nothing for me. Plastic-backed is the only thing that turns me on. The softer, more silky plastic, which they don’t produce anymore (think vintage Depends or Attends, were the best! Please turn back the clock 20 years!