LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

No turkey for us?

DailyDi

Put up a personal donation item. Just bought groceries and we ran out of money before we got to Thanksgiving dinner. Higher than average bills reduced our food budget and we currently have no plans for Thanksgiving, or the last three days of the month. If any of my friends can spare a dime or two Mom and I would appreciate it!

• Like 2
  • DailyDi changed the title to No turkey for us?

@DailyDi

I got your back Mikey - Just donated $10.50 to the cause - Hope it helps - I know its hard at holiday time, and once my insurance comes off, had $11.50 left in there, and I gave YOU $10.50 of it - It leaves me $1.00 in there, but i don't need anything else this month, and YOU should be able to at least enjoy a nice dinner with your mom!  Not sure how much you need, but you are off to a great start!

How do you cook your turkey?  In the oven, or on a grill or a charcoal setup like a weber??

Brian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, ~Brian~ said:

@DailyDi

I got your back Mikey - Just donated $10.50 to the cause - Hope it helps - I know its hard at holiday time, and once my insurance comes off, had $11.50 left in there, and I gave YOU $10.50 of it - It leaves me $1.00 in there, but i don't need anything else this month, and YOU should be able to at least enjoy a nice dinner with your mom!  Not sure how much you need, but you are off to a great start!

How do you cook your turkey?  In the oven, or on a grill or a charcoal setup like a weber??

Brian

Thanks Brian! Since its just Mom and Me, we usually get just a turkey breast and cook it in the slow cooker. A whole bird is a lot of work, and money for 2 people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, DailyDi said:

Thanks Brian! Since its just Mom and Me, we usually get just a turkey breast and cook it in the slow cooker. A whole bird is a lot of work, and money for 2 people.

I just donated $50 to your turkey fund Mikey! I hope it helps. I want you to have a Happy Thanksgiving this year!?♥️?? Let me know how it goes! Big hugs!?♥️??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
26 minutes ago, Little Spider said:

I just donated $50 to your turkey fund Mikey! I hope it helps. I want you to have a Happy Thanksgiving this year!?♥️?? Let me know how it goes! Big hugs!?♥️??

Thanks so much!

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, DailyDi said:

Thanks so much!

You're very welcome buddy! ANYTHING for my friends! I LOVE my friends VERY much! Big hugs!?♥️?♥️? And like I said, let me know how it goes, I want to KNOW!?♥️?????✌️

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Crinklz Kat said:

I snagged myself a freebie turkey already.   Warehouse club had a "buy $150 in one trip" special.... and how hard is it to do that these days?  Coupon showed up on the phone app Saturday, I headed down and picked it up. 

Nice. Birds are expensive this year. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Crinklz Kat said:

I snagged myself a freebie turkey already.   Warehouse club had a "buy $150 in one trip" special.... and how hard is it to do that these days?  Coupon showed up on the phone app Saturday, I headed down and picked it up. 

our local grocery store has a drawing each year for a turkey, and we got a call today that we won it(well, one of them, there was multiple winners), but id rather we just skip cooking this year, its a lot of work and the food isnt healthy for someone with moms cardiac history, i mentioned just giving the bird away if we would win it(not to be generous, just a matter of not letting it go to waste and its a lot of work), she wants to cook it, i even told her im fine if we just fix a couple bowls of cereal and call it a day, i stopped giving a damn about holidays.

• Like 3
19 hours ago, DailyDi said:

Me and my family actually did that one year for Thanksgiving. It turned out very well, and the turkey was nice and thick and juicy!?? And we had crescent rolls and mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie. It was a REALLY GOOD Thanksgiving that year! I'll NEVER forget it.??☺️♥️?☺️???

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Little Spider said:

Me and my family actually did that one year for Thanksgiving. It turned out very well, and the turkey was nice and thick and juicy!?? And we had crescent rolls and mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie. It was a REALLY GOOD Thanksgiving that year! I'll NEVER forget it.??☺️♥️?☺️???

crescent rolls are the best! We're not going that fancy, but we have secured a turkey breast, butternut squash and dressing.

• Like 1

Went grocery shopping yesterday, it’s kind of depressing, and when I get to the checkout, I get all kinds of anxiety ? One good thing, I did just qualify for a free turkey, or ham. 

I’m very happy to see, some people here stepping up to help out Mikey. I hope it turns out to be a enjoyable Thanksgiving. 

Most years, I end up donating the free turkey I get. This year, I’m thankful to have it for myself. How things change ?‍♂️ 

I hope everyone can have a fine Thanksgiving! 

• Like 2

We don't have Thanksgiving in Norway.

Closest I can get is next weekend, where it will be a birthday party, often some kind of dinner, and cake.

New Years eve is more like your Thanksgiving.
We often had turkey that day, but changed to chicken, cause turkey is dry. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, DailyDi said:

crescent rolls are the best! We're not going that fancy, but we have secured a turkey breast, butternut squash and dressing.

The Aldi's brand of crescent rolls are quite yummy and taste a lot like the Pillsbury ones (but they're cheaper too). 

Also, obligatory deep-fried frozen turkey:

turkey-explosion.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, Cute_Kitten said:

The Aldi's brand of crescent rolls are quite yummy and taste a lot like the Pillsbury ones (but they're cheaper too). 

Also, obligatory deep-fried frozen turkey:

turkey-explosion.gif

LOL Why would you put a turkey in the super hot fryer standing down wind? ???

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DailyDi said:

Oh, that sounds delicious!??♥️?? Me and my family this year are getting a hen! So it's going to be chicken this time, and NOT turkey. It's going to be a baked chicken. But it's still going to be really good, I like chicken better than turkey anyway! And as always we're going to have croissant rolls, and all the classics like pumpkin pie! That makes me a VERY happy BABY!??☺️♥️??????✌️?

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Lil Leo said:

LOL Why would you put a turkey in the super hot fryer standing down wind? ???

I'm guessing the same reason they thought deep frying a turkey without thawing it out was a good idea.  What could possibly go wrong? ?

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, Dubious said:

We don't have Thanksgiving in Norway.

Closest I can get is next weekend, where it will be a birthday party, often some kind of dinner, and cake.

New Years eve is more like your Thanksgiving.
We often had turkey that day, but changed to chicken, cause turkey is dry. 

The Turkey (which is dry, I agree, as most do), was almost named the National bird of the United States. Who knows what we would be eating, had the turkey achieved that status. ? 

9 minutes ago, AbabeBill said:

The Turkey (which is dry, I agree, as most do), was almost named the National bird of the United States. Who knows what we would be eating, had the turkey achieved that status. ? 

Turkey is dry only if it is prepared poorly.    I've never made a dry turkey in my life.   The first thing you want to do is discard that idiotic popup thing in the bird and buy a proper meat thermometer.   Those popups are set way too high.   Then there's the USDA who tells you that you need 165 to not die eating turkey.    If you abide by this, this is the temperature you want to STOP cooking.   Allowing the turkey to continue to rise in temprature into the 180s is going to guaranteed dryness.   Note this is not unique to turkey.   People dessicate chicken by doing the same thing.   Remember your average Thanksgiving turkey is usually a massive thing.   It will continue to rise in temperature once pulled from the over.

Your other options are to smoke it (which gives you plenty of time for it to come uniformly to a nice even temperature), or if you have short attention span, deep fry it.   No matter which of these you try, remember the turkey needs to be properly thawed if you started with a frozen one.

The story about the turkey being proposed as the national bird of the US (ostensibly by Benjamin Franklin) is a complete fabrication.   Franklin wrote a tongue and cheek letter extolling the virtues of the turkey in a letter to his daughter AFTER the bald eagle was adopted as a national symbol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really never cared for chicken or turkey breast.  I can get pretty big turkey legs and/or thighs and the dark meat tastes better to me.  I know what you mean about the costs.  The USA is still one of the countries with lower inflation than many other major world wide countries but it is high.  Gas, heat, electric, utilities and all, especially in Michigan are killers, especially now that it's cold.  Eating leftovers and canned goods helps, but it's always a struggle.  One reason I get most of my diapers at Goodwill for about $3 a package.  Once every year or two I may splurge for a bag or two of premium diapers like Betterdry or Abena L4 and they can last me a year or two.  At my age I'm glad I still have a job even though the business hours are 24/7/365 and I'm making half the money I was making back in 1999.  You just do what you can to make ends meet.

• Thanks 2

Canned veggies, yes! Sometimes they're cheaper than the fresh frozen ones. Usually for Thanksgiving/ Christmas/ Easter my family splurges and we get fancy frozen corn in a sweet herbish sauce, and greenbeans, etc but this year everything is coming from cans. I might attempt to make a sauce for the corn if I can find a recipe online.  Greenbeans are frenchcut from a can. We had canned sweetpotatoes but no one in my family is super crazy about the sweetpotatoes so we gave those to a neighbor.  If you don't like chicken or turkey, there's always ham. One of my coworkers gets a ham because his family doesn't like turkey. Or tofu! Tofurkey! ??

thanksgiving+2010+14.jpg

• Like 1