LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Heavy garbage

Took the garbage bag out today and it was pretty heavy.   It only had three diapers in it, along with other trash, but one was a mega soaked MegaMax that had a 2XL booster in it. It weighed 9# by its self,  as much as 3 or 4 regular diapers. 

It kinda made me wonder how heavy the garbage gets for those who are 24/7.  Those folks probably give their garbage men a hernia. 

When we lived in Illinois the garbage company provided everyone with a large plastic container on wheels. It had a small bar on one side so all the worker had to do was wheel it over to the truck and hook the bar to the lift to have it dump it. We moved to Iowa and they had the same container but it cost extra so we went cheap. Bought a 30 gallon plastic one and tried to get by on it. Then one day I went out to bring in the can and it had a red tag on it. The tag said the container was over loaded for a manual lift and this was my first warning. So apparently with my 3 days worth of diapers and the regular trash I had misjudged the weight. Shortly thereafter I had them bring me the one that cost extra and now I don't have to worry. 

We used to have those garbage totes but I always laughed as the guys who came to our neighborhood, despite having the truck that had the dumper thing on the back to lift it just picked up the cans and emptied them in without assistance.    Now in our neighborhood, they have a truck with only a driver that has this arm that comes out and picks up the can and dumps it.   I don't subscribe to the service.    Between composting and aggressive recycling, we have very little garbage.    It costs me $2 to throw away a large garbage bag at the local transfer station which I do when I'm on my way to the grocery once a week or less.    

But yes, the week I was 24/7 (and no toilet) when my wife was out of town, the garbage got a lot heavier.

A few years ago the City switched to the large wheeled bins which made life a lot easier. I used to have to put out multiple smaller cans so they weren't too heavy. Now it's picked up every 2 weeks and it's really heavy by that point.

I don't pay for trash pickup and just deal with it directly - have been for over 20 years.  If it weren't for the diapers, I wouldn't have all that much to deal with.  But, even then, it's usually averaging 1 bag a week.  So I just "stockpile" for a few weeks then make a trip to the country transfer station.  It's free if it's under 500 pounds.  Yeah, those bags feel like each one is 500 pounds. ?

7 hours ago, Moochie said:

So far my wet and messy diapers in a trash container with wheels has not broken the robotic arm on the garbage truck!!

Moochie's local trash pickup:

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, Dprczyone said:

When we lived in Illinois the garbage company provided everyone with a large plastic container on wheels. It had a small bar on one side so all the worker had to do was wheel it over to the truck and hook the bar to the lift to have it dump it. 

Most places in Norway use a similar type, where the worker don't have to do any heavy lifting.
It can lift 2-3 cans at same time. 

I'm 24/7, and we are allowed to put out 2 cans every second week, with recycling and compost picked up every week. Most of the time I end up putting out a full can of household garbage and then a half can of diapers that weighs as much as the full can of household garbage, more or less. They have never complained because I tip them at Christmas and such, but they managed to rip the handle off the diaper can a few weeks ago, so I have to buy another one. 

I had an incident a few months ago where a snowplow caught one of my trash cans and lobbed it into the ditch at 60 km/h, causing the bags in it to fly all over the place, and one poorly-tied kitchen bag full of diapers partially disgorged some of its contents, mostly white Megamax's that kind of disappeared into the snow, but a couple of printed diapers that stood out rather distinctly. My wife texted me as she was driving away that "I'd better go have a look at what's in the ditch." So I finished my coffee and then ambled up there at a relaxed pace... until I realized what she was talking about, then I sprinted back to get a garbage bag before my neighbours started walking their kids to school...

Also 24/7.  We have a (relatively generous) weekly 240 liter "wheelie bin" collection that is usually about 25% nappies by volume and probably 50% by weight.  It's collected by a hydraulic-arm equipped truck so no drama.

The first trick is getting the contents of my "diaper pail" down to the wheelie bin which is down two flights of stairs.  I transfer the diaper pail bag at least twice per week, possibly thrice if i haven't been able to use cloth at all.

The second trick is getting the fully loaded wheelie bin down my steep driveway to the kerb.

I estimate the weight of diapers in my weekly bin to be between 17 and 24 kg.

Some of the "trendier" municipalities in my region have been halving the size of the rubbish bin made available to residents and calling it an "environmental initiative" (BS: it's all about saving coin).  I've been looking nervously at that.  Parents with infants in nappies have already been up in arms about this.

Friend of mine 30+ years ago put his trash out for pick up (of which he paid the city a yearly fee).  One time the can had trash above the rim and the trash man told him that was not allowed.  All trash had to fit within the confines of the can.  The next week he loaded the can with old newspapers, nearly to the top, then soaked them all with water.  He watched while that same guy about got a hernia trying to lift and manhandle that can to the back of the truck to empty it.   Hey, you want to be an ass and nit-pick, better be well prepared for the consequences.

• Haha 4

We live in an apt so garbage is a non issue, I simply make sure my bag is never 100% full so it  fits in the garbage chute,  one thing is forsure my bag never has a problem getting down the chute.   The last week and a half both my wife and I have been dealing with covid so my sister in-law has been dropping of dinner or breakfast a few times a week and she has been nice enough to get rid of out trash including my used diapers she’s always surprised how heavy the bag is from` the bathroom but she knows I. diapered 24/7 so theres no issues :)

1 hour ago, Rob110 said:

We live in an apt so garbage is a non issue, I simply make sure my bag is never 100% full so it  fits in the garbage chute,  one thing is forsure my bag never has a problem getting down the chute.   The last week and a half both my wife and I have been dealing with covid so my sister in-law has been dropping of dinner or breakfast a few times a week and she has been nice enough to get rid of out trash including my used diapers she’s always surprised how heavy the bag is from` the bathroom but she knows I. diapered 24/7 so theres no issues :)

Be sure to thank her appropriately when you are better.

So far they empty the trash every 14 days here, and I can usually fill that with diapers, but I'm not the only one using it, and I fill it the evening before.
Now there is plans to empty it once a month...

Thankfully I can deliver at the dump for free, in see through bags... so when this goes in effect, I will throw colored diapers in my trash bin, and white diapers at the dump.

We have a fortnightly wheelie bin collection and mine gets pretty hefty.

Only once have I noticed them struggle and nearly question it though. The guy went to move it, stalled as it was heavier than he expected, he looked under the lid, shrugged and hauled it to the bin lorry. I did wonder what was going to happen though.

Once I missed putting the bin out. During the pandemic and the household waste centres were closed. I found a local company who would empty your wheelie bin for £20, so I called them, paid over the phone and felt happy it was going to be sorted. I expected said company to turn up with a bin lorry, but no, it was a van, not only was it a van, but the guy driving the van opened the wheelie bin and took out each bag one by one and placed into the van.  Horrific.  Clearly massive nappies on display, some prints too.  But he just got on with it and drove away ... ugh.

9 hours ago, BedWetMark said:

Once I missed putting the bin out. During the pandemic and the household waste centres were closed. I found a local company who would empty your wheelie bin for £20, so I called them, paid over the phone and felt happy it was going to be sorted. I expected said company to turn up with a bin lorry, but no, it was a van, not only was it a van, but the guy driving the van opened the wheelie bin and took out each bag one by one and placed into the van.  Horrific.  Clearly massive nappies on display, some prints too.  But he just got on with it and drove away ... ugh.

and then he dumped them in a ditch somewhere. 

As Steve Martin said, always... no make that never, ... no, it's always... carry a litter bag in your car.   It doesn't take up much room and if it gets full you can just throw it out the window.

My trash pick-up is a little strange.  One day the trashman pulls the bags out of the bin the next time, someone else on the crew lifts the bin to the back of the truck.