LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

I'm ________ Old!

DailyDi

43 minutes ago, DailyDi said:

I'm "Still have a rack of CDs" old

What proves your age?

old.jpg

VERY NICE collection Mikey!!!! Be SURE to hang on to those! They're gonna be worth a LOT of money SOMEDAY!!!!!!????????????????????? LOL!?????????????????????????☺️☺️☺️☺️??♥️????????♥️?♥️?????????♥️??????♥️??????

32 minutes ago, Lost Little Neppy said:

I'm "I Remember Phone Cards" old.

Anyone else? Anyone? I never had one, but I remember them being sold. I had The Princess and the Goblin that advertised a phone card at the beginning of it as well, haha

I had them from time to time. No "unlimited calls" back then, just long-distance charges lol

• Like 1

I remember days when in school, I would have to do reports or some sort of research paper. Back in the day, the acceptable way to do this, was to go to a library, or go to your living room encyclopedia set, pull a volume, and decide whether the information within it is a good start. My parents owned one set of encyclopedias that I know of, and I owned an older set from my school library, and I finally got rid of those after we were able to go online to do most of the research. There was always a difference between an online encyclopedia and a Print encyclopedia, because the information that was in a online encyclopedia was available to look at, and this is in the days before the worldwide web was popular. You would be able to put it in something like encyclopedia EnCarta and you would be able to go in there find what you need, and it would link to several places where you could get further information.

This changed when I went to college:  no longer where are you allowed to go in to find an encyclopedia and use it as a “primary source“. Encyclopedias were then determined to be “secondary sources“ that were used to get a start on anything that you write. Once you do that, you would find books and other supporting documents, that would be considered “primary sources“. Nowadays, people go to Wikipedia and other types of documentation to get information about things that happened, but this is always going to be a “secondary source,“ because people are writing this and adding information to it, and some of this information is added by someone editing the documents in real time.  Encyclopedias really don’t have any use anymore, because they don’t actually have the most current information. When I was in college, I started to learn how to use gopher and WAISE, Remember port 70? That was the gopher port: this was my first availability of information that was not on the United States Shores: I think the first thing that I pulled from afar was something from Spain?

I wonder how many other people use their encyclopedia as a “primary source“ when they were in school, even though nowadays encyclopedia wouldn’t even be considered a source, unless it was considered as “secondary source?“ Those were the days, you could write a report in a week, and as long as you’re able to get information from it, along with other information in the library, you were able to write a pretty snazzy report, but as the reports in the assignments got harder, you needed more information way from the University of Vermont library or from the University of Vermont medical library on their campus. Our campus was so bad as far as library services, that you had to go to the UVM library, or you had to take things out of that library, and put that on ILL, So that students should be able to get access to the same source information. I’m glad that the Internet has changed the way we do research projects, but you still have to be careful where the source information comes from, and who said white, because some people can spin information worse now than he did 25 years ago.

Brian

Yep, I remember my mom buying our encyclopedia one volume at a time through the grocery store. And we used them a lot! And every year an update volume would come out.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, DailyDi said:

Yep, I remember my mom buying our encyclopedia one volume at a time through the grocery store. And we used them a lot! And every year an update volume would come out.

@DailyDi

i’ve heard of purchasing your encyclopedias through a purchasing agent, when they used to come around and try to sell you encyclopedias. I have never heard of anyone buying a encyclopedias that one volume at a time from a grocery store – I guess that’s because my parents just bought the whole thing all in one shot. I don’t think they bought more than one set of encyclopedias, because they were just in our living room for years and years, and I think I started using them in fourth grade as some sort of reference material books. One of the reports I did was in high school, And it was all about Watergate: I kept thinking to myself “ why the heck do these guys wanna break into the Democratic national committee officers anyway!? “It just doesn’t make any sense, I guess the reason why they did that is because they’re greedy, and they wanted Nixon to be able to win at all costs: the only problem with that is that eventually Richard Nixon got caught and he had to deal with exactly the ramifications that he caused because he decided to try to cover up something. Richard Nixon also in my opinion should be respected, because at least he had the common courtesy in the ability to realize that his actions were a detriment to the presidency, and he wanted to keep the presidency clear of any of this mess. Because of that, he decided to resign and take responsibility for the entire affair, saying that the American people need a “full-time president/full-time Congress“ people may think I’m crazy, but at least Richard Nixon took responsibility for his actions, unlike other presidents who try to blame others for their mistakes and actions.

nowadays, you can see these types of things come up on YouTube, and some channels that I watch are very interesting because they actually give you a third alternative, or a different perspective on different things. There are many channels that deal with differing situations, like “disasters of the century/plainly difficult“ these channels have a interesting perspective about things that happened, some of them interesting, some of them disturbing, and most of them talk about disasters that happened because of mistakes. There’s also the US chemical safety board channel, which talks about accidents and things that happened because people were not paying attention to what is going on. YouTube is a very good source, but sometimes you have to also use your head and determine the veracity of them information being presented, and determine whether you think the information presented is believable and honest. There’s also the Point that some of the information that is being presented could be spun to meet someone else’s expectations, or opinions could be slanted one way or the other left or right, instead of something like in the old days when Walter Cronkite, CBS News, would actually tell you the news, and wouldn’t spin it one way or the other – this is because in those days black is black, white is white, green is green, yellow is yellow, and there’s no way you can spin it any direction – what happened happened, and he would give his opinion, but it would not be spun either way.

I miss the days when somebody would give you information, and that’s the way it was: there was no left right or center, it was just information – I don’t know why everything was so political, but nowadays it’s even worse: thank God we don’t have to worry too much about that now, that’s if we choose to ignore most of it, which I do!

Brian

• Like 1
12 hours ago, DailyDi said:

I'm also old enough to remember when, pre-internet, computers often came with a free Encyclopedia on CD-Rom

I still have one of those laying around somewhere.

I'm so old the first modem I ever used was an acoustic version.

product-88995.jpg

• Like 1

I remember very well having a set of encyclopedia when I was growing up. By the time I had graduated high school, I'm certain I had read through the whole set, simply by selecting an article of interest, and then reading the related articles listed at the end.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, FretaBWet said:

I remember when we only had rotary phones and a party line. No it wasn’t a dedicated line for arranging festivities lol.

Hugs,

Freta

When I was growing up a party line was $6.99 a minute 1-900-Hot-Sexx

• Haha 1

I've got a box full of cassette tapes my dad had when I was born, then he moved to CDs shortly after, then Ipod & MP3 players came out when I was a kid. Looking back on the transition to those in such a short time amazes me. Also, the 'text a word to a 5555'like number to buy a wallpaper or ringtone.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, CassEt95 said:

I've got a box full of cassette tapes my dad had when I was born, then he moved to CDs shortly after, then Ipod & MP3 players came out when I was a kid. Looking back on the transition to those in such a short time amazes me. Also, the 'text a word to a 5555'like number to buy a wallpaper or ringtone.

Wow! I feel old. I still have my cassette collection somewhere. I have all my CD’s still. My dad still has his vinyl record collection way before it became cool again. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I still have:-

• CD collection.
  • Record collection - including as few 45s and 78s, and a valve record player to play them.
  • Compact Cassette collection (and refer to them as compact cassettes, not just tapes!)
  • a few reel to reel recordings (including War of the Worlds I recorded from radio when I was younger)
  • a reel to reel recorder / player with a plug in remote control and the sleve that screws onto the capstan pin to change the tape speed.
  • a 35mm film camera (dual lens, not single lens reflex)
  • a few boxes of slides (made from colour reversal film), plus the projector & screen to see them

... and most of these, either I got as presents or I bought new ? ? 

My father, at 90 years old, has a cylinder record player plus 5 records for it - that he recently reconditioned. He also has a Garrard variable speed (via adjustable transformer) record player with speed settings of 16⅔ 33⅓ 45 78 rpm that he got before I was born.

I don't consider myself as old - just well seasoned ?

Side Note:

What I have noticed is that this equipment, being over 35+ years old, is still working perfectly today, yet modern stuff tends to fail within 2-5 years.

• Like 1

i'm, i remember vhs, but at that time the only tapes i was watching was seseme street and barney and friends, old.

i'm, remember the time when holding your phone up to the radio and pressing record was a legitimate way to get a new ringtone, old

22 hours ago, tigercub59 said:

My dad has homemade moves on 8mm reels and a projector to show them on starting with my second Christmas in 1960.

I thought that I was old... but not that old ? I only go back to 67'. Even my parents wedding photographs are colour reversal slides.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
On 5/1/2022 at 8:12 PM, ~Brian~ said:

I remember days when in school, I would have to do reports or some sort of research paper. Back in the day, the acceptable way to do this, was to go to a library, or go to your living room encyclopedia set, pull a volume, and decide whether the information within it is a good start. My parents owned one set of encyclopedias that I know of, and I owned an older set from my school library, and I finally got rid of those after we were able to go online to do most of the research. There was always a difference between an online encyclopedia and a Print encyclopedia, because the information that was in a online encyclopedia was available to look at, and this is in the days before the worldwide web was popular. You would be able to put it in something like encyclopedia EnCarta and you would be able to go in there find what you need, and it would link to several places where you could get further information.

This changed when I went to college:  no longer where are you allowed to go in to find an encyclopedia and use it as a “primary source“. Encyclopedias were then determined to be “secondary sources“ that were used to get a start on anything that you write. Once you do that, you would find books and other supporting documents, that would be considered “primary sources“. Nowadays, people go to Wikipedia and other types of documentation to get information about things that happened, but this is always going to be a “secondary source,“ because people are writing this and adding information to it, and some of this information is added by someone editing the documents in real time.  Encyclopedias really don’t have any use anymore, because they don’t actually have the most current information. When I was in college, I started to learn how to use gopher and WAISE, Remember port 70? That was the gopher port: this was my first availability of information that was not on the United States Shores: I think the first thing that I pulled from afar was something from Spain?

I wonder how many other people use their encyclopedia as a “primary source“ when they were in school, even though nowadays encyclopedia wouldn’t even be considered a source, unless it was considered as “secondary source?“ Those were the days, you could write a report in a week, and as long as you’re able to get information from it, along with other information in the library, you were able to write a pretty snazzy report, but as the reports in the assignments got harder, you needed more information way from the University of Vermont library or from the University of Vermont medical library on their campus. Our campus was so bad as far as library services, that you had to go to the UVM library, or you had to take things out of that library, and put that on ILL, So that students should be able to get access to the same source information. I’m glad that the Internet has changed the way we do research projects, but you still have to be careful where the source information comes from, and who said white, because some people can spin information worse now than he did 25 years ago.

Brian

I had a encyclopedia set and used it when in elementary school as well as 1 of the highschools I went to as well. I attended 3 schools a day for highschool. 1 was a state funded private school and a encyclopedia was a acceptable source if we lost the privledge to use the computer. 

I bypassed that on my science project though about space and thought I would have got in deep shit the scond I got called to the administratoor's office for unauthorized mail comeing to the school in my name. I contacted NASA with a letter describeing what I was doing a project on and asked for some more information and got a response of HD photos printed from hubble the information they sent me weighed over 3lbs and NASA wasn't on the approved list of people I could recieve mail from as that was supposed to only be for family seeing as the school was also very protective of the students so I had to go to the administration office where they had me open the giant envolope and they decided it was for school so they didn't mind they were quite shocked that NASA actually sent me the whole report basically done for me. It was quite awesome I definantly got a A on that report 🤗