LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

PUL Diaper Covers

I have purchased two pairs of PUL pants from different suppliers. The first was Gary Wear and the second was Northshore Trifecta, the issue with both is they leak.

So I have used both with cloth and disposable but the end result is the same. I get puddling at the bottom of them both, and or press out thru them. The last one was the Trifecta and  wetness went right it and let my computer chair get very wet.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or I just need plastic or rubber pants instead. A secondary question id there a preferred way to use them (Plastic/rubber) with cloth?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

95% of what I have heard and understand about non-traditional panty material is not good over the last 60 years. They are a composite materal and tend to come apart A big selling point is that they "breathe" and are well-ventillated. That means that they are gas-permeable. That may be fine for rainwear outer garments, however, pee is not water. It is chemically complex and caustic. So it can dgrade some of the material and decompose it. As to the breathing Some of the compnents of urine are gaseous at body temperature and can pass through the tiny pores that make it gas-permeable by liquid proof. Then, once a few milimeters away from the body heat, they condense back to a liquid form so it appears that they leak and some may actually leak or, as the material decomposes, leaks may develop. Also, since they are meant to not be obvious,the shape will not be full and blousey and therefore, not provide good coverage. For thick diapers like I wear "Beathing is not an issue since they are thick. Like AIOS, Woven waterproof panties have had a bad reputation over the decades. Also, the material feels strange and creepy to me; like it is kind of cheap and chintzy

6 hours ago, Three Rivers said:

I have purchased two pairs of PUL pants from different suppliers. The first was Gary Wear and the second was Northshore Trifecta, the issue with both is they leak.

So I have used both with cloth and disposable but the end result is the same. I get puddling at the bottom of them both, and or press out thru them. The last one was the Trifecta and  wetness went right it and let my computer chair get very wet.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or I just need plastic or rubber pants instead. A secondary question id there a preferred way to use them (Plastic/rubber) with cloth?

Most of my covers are currently PUL pants, and I think (most of) my current PUL pants are manufactured by Gary.

I believe one of the problems with "breathable" material is relative temperature and humidity.  In some sections of the country, I get away with PUL, provided the cut is right for over my cloth diapers.  However, wearing at Disney World in Florida, the conditions were enough different where I think I got more "breathable condensation" effect Little Christine has mentioned.  So, I think it depends on your experience and type of weather conditions you deal with on a regular basis.

I still haven't found a good non PUL replacement for the VI Products wide elastic, good cut (for cloth diapers) with good seal with the elastics that lasts a reasonable amount of time at a reasonable prices.  The Gary PUL pants almost do what I need, but I'm finding some inconsistencies in the leg elastic tension to where I probably need to run a special order to correct that and to get a slightly fuller / taller cut.  And I don't like the (default / standard) cut from (Baby) Kin's.  I've been debating about making a special order (personal size request) to either Kin's (as I believe @Cruiser 03 has done for some things) or Angle Fluff but haven't gone that far.  Some of the vinyl pants can tear easily and/or don't last that long.

I do not wear covers, I wear panties

ZZYZX Angelfluff would be the way to go for custom sized PUL as all there pants are made for them under contract by Gary ,they don’t have the plethora of colors available in Gary pants or trifectas however getting a great custom sized pant is pretty easy thru angel fluff website .

If I'm in cloth, I tend to wear plastic (vinyl) waterproof pants: usually the Gary high-waist but also Kins encased plastic pants.  The air transfer on PUL tends to allow "wet nappy" smells since cloth has no odour control.  I also suspect they can become slightly damp (not wet though) when exposed to wet cloth for protracted periods.

I do routinely use PUL over disposables during the day.  The fit can sometimes actually cause leaks.

I've noticed that if the leg elastics ride up on my inner thighs they can actually end up touching the (wet) core of my disposable nappy and will wick moisture to my outerwear.  I've figured that slightly over-sized Gary pants (maybe an XL or even 2XL for me) may work better as the leg elastics can be kept some distance away from the nappy.

Any waterproof pant over a disposable will only delay the inevitable if pee gets into them.  A waterproof over cloth will allow wicking to occur so that pee gets transferred from soaked parts of the garment to dryer parts whilst protecting your outerwear.   A waterproof over a disposable will provide (temporary) insurance in the event of a minor leak but the pee trapped between the disposable nappy and plastic pant has nowhere to go.  Eventually it escapes via leggings.

ymmv as they say, this is just my experience.

• Like 2

If your nappy is full it will leak one way or another.  If it leaks into waterproof pants, it won't stay there long.  It's only got 2 ways out - to the outside world or back into your nappy.  Cloth nappies will re-absorb to some extent, but of course disposables won't as they've their own waterproof cover.  So, if you've got a puddle, you've already left changing too long, but if you're wearing cloth you may get away with it for a short time, but either way you should have changed earlier.

As for PUL vs polyurethane vs vinyl (PVC), I'm always in polyurethane.  PUL isn't fully waterproof, so damp will come through (in my experience). Also, it wears out more quickly than 100% plastic.  Polyurethane isn't affected by oils, vaseline, UV light etc, unlike vinyl.  I find it more comfortable as well, which is important as I'm in them full-time.

As the first line of text on RUBBER PANTIES'R'US goes "Over 150 years of rubber panties", the question is "Why?". Why try to re-invent the wheel? Wetproof panties of the traditional materials have worked and evolved for7-1/2 generations. Infact rubber has been so successful that it is still used to this day and has given the genre its name in ordinary speech

56 minutes ago, Little Christine said:

As the first line of text on RUBBER PANTIES'R'US goes "Over 150 years of rubber panties", the question is "Why?". Why try to re-invent the wheel? Wetproof panties of the traditional materials have worked and evolved for7-1/2 generations. Infact rubber has been so successful that it is still used to this day and has given the genre its name in ordinary speech

Why? Money of course. If you can make more money with crappy PUL or plastic pants then that's what manufacturers will do.

Just now, ValentinesStuff said:

Why? Money of course. If you can make more money with crappy PUL or plastic pants then that's what manufacturers will do.

Rubber and vinyl have proven their worth over a century and a half. It seems to me that polyurathane has to prove its worth since it is more expensive and apparently, esthetically unpleasant. I first came across it in '64 as the waterproof part of Salk Sani-Pant,and found it felt vaguely unpleasant Others describe its testure as "rubbery" but not in the sense of latex or actual rubber sheeting In the case of Comco, the material has outlasted the elastics and I have panties from A.C. Medical that are almost a decade old and my Gary panties are 8 years old. My Babykins rubber panties are about the same. So I am satisfied. So, what I have are up to the task, cost less, have a proven track record and are esthetically better; so I should switch?

I am going to approach the leaking PUL pants differently and suggest that maybe the diapers aren't absorbent enough and then no matter if you have a wet suit on, fluid dynamics wins.

I've had them all.  PUL, Vinyl and the Gary wear pants.  Years ago I even had rubber pants.  All have worked well for me.  I rarely wear cloth diapers but waterproof pants over disposables is a must sometimes.  With a new expensive Lazy-Boy chair I'm not going to ruin it with a possible disposable diaper leak.  Also for a messy diaper day they help make sure anything that wants to squish out will still be contained.  I do like the KINS and I have yet to have a failure with my Gary pants.  In fact, before I went with premium diapers like Betterdry for my all day out of town Christmas shopping trips, I'd wear a thinner store type diaper with plastic pants over it and change in a store restroom at the 3 to 4 hour mark.  One time I knew I was really saturating my diaper and when I finally was able to go and change it, there were big puddles in my plastic pants sloshing around, and I mean big puddles that I had to pour into the toilet.  I was shocked that they didn't make there way out and wet the back of my jeans, especially sitting in my car and driving but they held it all.  Now I wear premium diapers and they last me for the whole shopping trip. 

Sometimes it just takes finding the right waterproof pants with a balance between comfort, good seal around the legs and a material that won't let any liquid through it.  You may have to sacrifice one thing such as comfort, breathability and lighter weight to assure what you wear does the job you need it to, and even then what diaper you wear (cloth, disposable) can also change what pant you need over it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/10/2022 at 8:59 AM, Stroller said:

As for PUL vs polyurethane vs vinyl (PVC), I'm always in polyurethane.  PUL isn't fully waterproof, so damp will come through (in my experience). Also, it wears out more quickly than 100% plastic.  Polyurethane isn't affected by oils, vaseline, UV light etc, unlike vinyl.  I find it more comfortable as well, which is important as I'm in them full-time.

Isn't PUL and polyurethane the same thing? PUL stands for polyurethane laminate, so what's the difference?

On 4/9/2022 at 11:22 AM, Three Rivers said:

You need to wear more diaper or change more often.  The clue here is the puddling at the bottom of the pants.  The diaper is saturated and can't hold any more liquid and the extra liquid finds a way out.  

I make booster inserts for my cloth diapers out of Zorb3. Check it out at wazoodle.com. I take strip 12" by 36", fold in half the long way and sew up the two long edges and turn it inside out and sew the shirt end shut. They work great and I can get almost 5 hours (or more?) out of one diaper change.