LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

BEST TERMS FOR DIAPER COVERS?

AbabeBill

FAVORITE TERMS FOR DIAPER COVERS  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What’s you most favorite term for your diaper cover? What do you most enjoy them referred to as?

• Plastic Pants
    • Plastic Panties
    • Rubber Pants
    • Rubber Panties
    • Baby Pants
    • Baby Panties
    • Vinyl Pants
    • Vinyl Panties
    • Waterproof Pants
    • Waterproof Panties
    • Rubbers
    • Diaper covers
    • Other

What name do you like to hear for your diaper covers most, what sounds best to you? 
They all have something to them. I think my favorite is, Plastic Panties. I was use to that as a child, and I like the attached term, Panties. It adds a hint of a humiliation, that they are referred to as panties, as like for girls. For me, my mom also used Rubber Pants as a term, even though I only had plastic pants. 

• Like 1

There was also "baby bloomers" and  both in a 1915 document and the Urban dictionary they were alled "rubber diaper"

Lacking a fly, they are in fact panties and they were alled "rubber" for many generations and are still called that on many ebay acutions. Also, Playtex invented soft vinyl as a rubber substitute in about 1934

3 hours ago, DailyDi said:

All waterproof pants are plastic pants.

Tell that to Babykins, Fetware, Rearz and Protex

• Like 1

Who here, when you were 6 years old was terrorized by mommy with "I am going to put your baby sister's diaper and plastic pants on you like a baby"?

My mom always called them "rubber pants" even if they were made of plastic.   There are pictures of me in what were clearly plastic pants (sleuths here seem to identify them as Sears Best brand which makes sense as all my clothes came from Sears).     However, probably when I was 4 or 5, I remember trying to squeeze into a pair of real rubber pants of my sisters.   I have no idea why I was doing it, it was long before I had any baby or diaper fantasies.    But when my mother was referring to putting diapers on one of my siblings it was always "diapers and rubber pants" so that was pretty ingrained on me.    My brother was the only one of the four of us who ever wore disposable diapers (early Pampers).    My mom still put "rubber pants" over them because they had the tendency to leak.

• Like 1

My mom always called them "rubber pants", even thought they were plastic. Once in a while she would call them "rubber panties", chiefly because some of the ones I had were passed down from my sister, and I guess on her, my parents called them "panties"; I have no recollection because she was long out of diapers by the time I was taking notes on such things. As to a preference, the term "panties" sounds a little cuter to me, so I guess I'd probably like to playfully refer to them as "plastic panties", but haven't had the guts to use that term with my wife yet, so I just call them plastic pants, when I call them anything at all - I don't wear cloth diapers that often these days. 

On 10/14/2021 at 7:23 PM, Little Christine said:

Lacking a fly, they are in fact panties and they were called "rubber" for many generations and are still called that on many ebay acutions.

23 hours ago, willnotwill said:

My mom always called them "rubber pants" even if they were made of plastic.  When my mother was referring to putting diapers on one of my siblings it was always "diapers and rubber pants" so that was pretty ingrained on me.   

15 hours ago, Little Sherri said:

My mom always called them "rubber pants", even thought they were plastic. Once in a while she would call them "rubber panties", chiefly because some of the ones I had were passed down from my sister, and I guess on her, my parents called them "panties"

My mom always called them "rubber pants" as well, and I probably actually wore some rubber ones as a baby, but I mostly remember wearing the Gerber vinyl pants over my cloth diapers.  I was a bedwetter until almost 6 and remember cringing when sitting in the shopping cart at the grocery store and my mom turning down the aisle where the baby food (and vinyl Gerber pants) were.  That aisle also had the soup, dog food and baking stuff so I never knew if she meant to get any of those items when turning down that aisle, but once in a while she stopped the cart in front of the baby stuff.  It was at that time I knew she was going to put one of those small blue boxes of toddler size vinyl pants in the cart.  What was more embarrassing was my older cousin (about 15 years older) worked as a cashier and we always went through her line.  Small mom and pop store with 3 registers, usually only 2 open at one time.  Obviously my cousin knew just who those vinyl pants were for!  Later when I turned 19 I worked for that store myself, and yes, it was exactly the same!  Same aisle with the dog food, baby pants and soup!

I think age has a lot to do with it.  Even in the 1950's and 1960's kids who wore cloth diapers had mothers who referred to the waterproof pants as "rubber pants" because that was pretty much what they were called when they were growing up and as young mothers.  In the 40's and even 50's plastics weren't as good as they are now.  Anyone remember the old 78 records?  They cracked and shattered along with the old Bakelite plastic they used back then.  Once vinyl pants became the norm mothers were used to calling everything "rubber pants" and that stuck.  Then within about 10 years or so Pampers hit the market big time and the newer mothers who used disposable diapers didn't need the waterproof pants anymore, so no need to really use the terms "rubber pants" or even "vinyl or waterproof pants" much.  I'd go as far as saying most mothers who raised a kid in cloth diapers in the 1950's through 1960's referred to all waterproof pants as "rubber pants".

• Like 3

As I said in the rubber panty club, having been used by 4 generations, the term "rubber panties" is "correct through usage" for a century. and still used today While the descrptive name may be whaterver they are made of, the noun may be "rubber panties", and it is certainly understood by all This is especially true in the adult version as we now have more brands of rubber panties than  there were baby rubber panties in the fifties and sixties when the term was pretty much universal. If we were to call them by the descriptive term we would also have to use ""polyurethane panties", "nylon panties", polyurethane laminate panties", PEVA panties" and "rubber panties", and who knows what I have neglected to mention?.. We already have a term ofong standing (about a centruy) thatstill has weight and is understood to this day. Also it is "organic" arising from common or "real world" speech

Besides, Mommy knows best

• Like 1

If you include Bitner childrens' rubber panties, a leading childrens' incontinent panty until the factory burned down in the eighties, in the eighties, there were probably more rubber panties made than of any other kind, Jack Kowels Perfect Personal Products and Carolyn's Kids had rubber panties and there were the famous Malysian rubber panties. Ithe first known  non-rubber baby panties  were Softex in 1939, some 68 years after the 1871 ad for Kleinerts

To use the Rubber Panty Hall of Fame, click on the image of the advert you wish to see in larger size

http://other.sandralyn.net/panties.html

My mother also always called them all "Rubber pants".  When I started buying diapers and plastic pants as an adult, I wanted to get real "Rubber Pants", since I always heard that term from mom. After a while, I DID find real rubber pants from a few sources, and I found that I actually prefer plastic pants over rubber pants. (My everyday plastic pants choice is the 6 mil plastic pant from BabyKins..)

Well, we know what term babyboomers learned from their parents. The question is now what therm did weuse  during child-bearing years. That means those of us who did not switch to paper diapers. If you were born btween '46 and '65, had children or were around those who did, and did not use paper diapers, what term did you use or hear used in everyday use? If it was "rubber pants" or  "rubber panties", that makes it, that makes it 5 generations. The fact that ithe question is being asked here, two generations after the babyboomers started birthing, means that "rubber" still has legs in the 7th generation. Do not forget, we are including adult products as well as baby products. I understand that in Britain, they are called "rubbers"

A lot of people called them PILCHERS when I was growing up. I don't hear it as much now, but that maybe due to less people putting their kids in nappy covers because the majority of kids wear disposables. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, maxpower said:

A lot of people called them PILCHERS when I was growing up. I don't hear it as much now, but that maybe due to less people putting their kids in nappy covers because the majority of kids wear disposables. 

Yes! I should have thought to include Pilchers. I know that is/was a common reference in Australia. That will have to fall under our, “other” heading now. It deserves honorable mention, none the less. 

Well you have two choices 1 "diaper cover", which while generic, has all the cultural significance of a  buggy whip and is as pedantic as it gets, or "rubber panttIes), which actually was the only game in town for 68 years. Otherwise, you must call each type by the spacific material, which includes rubber also vinyl, polyurathane, nylone, PUL, and whatever else there is or comes up, which means no generic term at all save waterproof panties, which is also a bit pedantic In non-ABDL convo, I still use "rubber panties" since if I were to use one of the more technically correct terms, it might cause civilians" to understand that I know more than I "should" and may lead to questions that I would rather not have to deal with Beyond that, whatever we choose here, the generic term has already been settled in society at large anyway. All we can do is either recognize that fact or stick out like ideosyncratic nerds

• Like 1
On 10/31/2021 at 3:01 PM, maxpower said:

That seems to be an australian thing I read at this sithe that many English call them "rubbers", I guess that gives new meaning to this

https://www.rusc.com/old-time-radio/Henry-s-Missing-Left-Rubber.aspx?id=48810

On 10/24/2021 at 2:29 PM, diaperguy85 said:

on the list: diaper covers, plastic pants and vinyl pants.

not on the list: diaper shorts

I have never heard "diaper shorts" I have two references for "rubber diapers" one from a 1915 quote in a Google Book and the other from the Urban Dictionary One that is not on the list from the1950's is "baby bloomers" The very early plastic panties had very VERY short legs and looked more like medieval "slops" very full cut with very VERY short legs This was before they made the forward-facing leg openings. It was as if two rear halves were joined. This meant that the panty was adusted to suit the needs

• Like 1

I always knew them as "plastic pants" *shrug* I think I heard my dad mention "rubber pants" at some point on a trip. His 'lady friend' had a younger daughter, and she mentioned she wanted to stop and get some "rubber BANDS" ...I guess for her kids hair or.......what not. 

But, I always knew them and called them 'plastic pants' Gerber vinyl pants...since vinyl is a type of plastic...hence. "Plastic Pants".