LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

rash...what to do about it?

I use Neosporen plus pain ointment, on rashes or skin irritations.

The plus pain ointment soothes pain while it heals.

FYI you don't have to buy the the Neosporen brand name, drug store brands work just as good, I have used both.

Please buy only the ointment, the cream seems to dry up and stop working too fast.

42 minutes ago, Cute_Kitten said:

Buy an ointment or cream, and give the rash some time to air out. 

@Cute_Kitten@todothething

The best thing to do if you can, is to change when you can do so, as soon as possible, because the acid qualities of urine, along with fecal material can cause rashes.  This means you want to make sure that you can change yourself when you release, and not sit in a wet or messy diaper for long long periods.  If you do, the acidic urine and fecal material can cause irritation, redness, and skin breakdowns, which I PROMISE you, you do not want to deal with, because that can hurt worse than getting whipped with the end of a wet towel.

As @Cute_Kitten says, an ointment or creme, such as Zinc Oxide 5%, should be enough to take care of the rash, but you have to keep applying it, and make sure that the rash is being dealt with.  Just like a Little Toddler, if you can afford to air out, by running around naked, or you can afford to NOT wear a diaper for a while, the longer you can do that, the more the AIR will get to the diaper area, and will promote healing.  A while ago, I had to NOT have a diaper on for a week or so, until the skin had healed up - It was as red as a FIRE ENGINE, and I can NOT afford to have skin breakdowns!

Air and going without a diaper for a while are my best suggestions, other than the Zinc Oxide.

Good Luck!

Brian

• Like 2

Hi, @todothething; I have been 24/7 for about 21 months, and the first half of that experience was plagued with diaper rashes, while for the latter half, I've had practically none at all. But there was a time when I was at a point where I considered not wearing diapers for a while. Luckily, I didn't have to go that route!

All the other things I am going to say after this also matter and also help, but the true #1 rule with diaper rash is, if it lasts for more than a couple of days, assume it's fungal. As such, what you need to do is get a hold of an antifungal ointment or spray, one designed for athlete's foot, jock itch or yeast infections (I find the spray more convenient for application but be aware that a lot of them use solvents such as alcohol as carriers that can sting raw areas for a few moments). Next: if the packaging says use it religiously for two weeks, USE IT RELIGIOUSLY FOR TWO WEEKS. Maybe even go three. Fully cover the whole area, outside of the borders of the rash. Fungus doesn't ask a lot of this world - it can survive a prolonged attack. Your doctor can give you stuff that acts faster, but if you're going with stuff you can buy off the shelf, use it at least as long as it says to use it. Probably add some time, that way you won't have to do it again in three weeks. 

Remember, if you have fungus growing in your nether-regions, then it's probably also on anything you wore down there, so wash everything - onesies, plastic pants, cloth diapers -  and dry it at a high temperature. If you don't have a dryer then you might want to head over to the laundromat, or else wash everything with bleach, real chlorine bleach, not OxyClean or Tide with Bleach. 

After doing the above, everything else is basic maintenance:

- use diaper cream religiously; it acts as a lubricant and as a barrier to moisture.

- shower every couple of diaper changes ideally 

- avoid prolonged periods of time in a diaper with a lot of hours on it. It's not so much about how wet the diaper is as it is about how long it's been wet - as the wetness breaks down and converts to ammonia, it starts to strip oils from your skin and change its PH in unhelpful ways. 

- if you do #2 in your pants, you rally have to change pretty quickly after that - contact between #1 and #2 dramatically accelerates the microbial processes that create ammonia, which is an irritant. 

- diaper quality matters. From my experience, any decent ABDL diaper and a lot of the medical ones offer some chemical retarding of the breakdown of the wetness into irritating compounds, but cheap supermarket diapers allow it to happen a lot faster. Adding a good baby diaper in as a stuffer can help - Pampers, for example, does an exemplary job - babies have sensitive skin. 

- if you're in cloth diapers then probably use one instead of two or three, and change more frequently. Cloth diapers don't offer the same chemical protection from the breakdown of waste products into ammonia. Wash them on the "sanitize" cycle if you have it. Dry at high temperatures and/or use bleach, even if the manufacturer says not to. You are at war here; there may be casualties. 

- fit matters - if your diaper is chafing you all the time then that area is going to be prone to issues. I learned this the hard way when I did an 8 mile run in a pullup and ended up having to go to the hospital for an abscess in a very inconvenient area. Diaper cream also helps with this but if your diaper is acting like a hacksaw, no amount of cream can cure that. Onesies or compression garments can help with that. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

The best thing for a rash is to treat every diapering as if you were expecting a rash. Use the oinment sparingly on your privates and anus also. Your skin is not used to harsh chemicals that poop and pee contain. We are all adults here and know that pee has ammonia which can cause chemical burns. Also poop which contains chemical enzymes that break down the food you digest can and will cause chemical burns. The best bet fo anyone that wears a diaper is a barrier cream. Keep the area protected before even giving a rash a chance. I know many of us pay good money for diapers and enjoy getting the full service of a diaper. I am totally guilty of wearing a poopy diaper for hours because I enjoy it. Use a barrier cream very sparingly and you should never have a problem with a rash. If you have a partner to put the cream on you all the better. Make a game out of it, I know me and wife enjoy that the best. I can't even remember the last time I had a diaper rash. I had to be fifteen years old, young and dumb and invincible. Now the older and the wiser I pass down a little wisdom. Men you don't want a rash on you penis or testicles because it is a pain many can do without. Women it can lead to a bad UTI and yeast infections you don't want that either. Love your diaper area and keep it trim for gods sake and keep the area neat and clean and washed. Leave the baby powder for the babies. Baby powder can dry you out and cause chafing. Men if you ever had chafed testicles you know how much that hurts. Women know better and have stayed away from powder for a few decades already. Try A & D ointment, there are many brands to choose from. This brand has been tried and true to me for over four decades. Enjoy your diapers !!

Barrier Cream.jpeg

• Like 2

I never used to get rashes, till recently I don't drink enough water sometimes and my pee is much stronger than normal. So I have the last couple days had a really sore rash on my bag. So now I am in the mode again ,,,of putting on A&D several times a day, and I am going to force myself to not forget to drink my liquids................

I did it before but its been several yrs ago, and wow, I guess I forgot how bad it was. 

Evelyn Dellcerro,,, You are very right..... It's very painful, and I am on strong pain meds for my back. I know that maybe to my disadvantage because it may cover up some different pain that I would need for an issue like this . Pain is there to let us know when something is wrong,, so I have to keep an extra eye on things due to my meds.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Stroller said:

Change you nappy frequently, and always clean yourself properly at each change.  As well as everything above, especially the cream!

I know I get lazy, and I pay for it.

• Like 1

In addition to what Little Sherri said, I have found that shaving my diaper area helps to reduce the frequency of diaper rashes. Hair provides a place for bacteria and fungi to attach and hang on to. Getting rid of the hair makes life harder for the micro-organisms to grow.

• Like 1

I wear 24/7, use it for pee and change when it starts leaking or is about to leak

I very rarely use any form of rash prevention and don't always clean the diaper area between changes 
I believe this method hardens the skin and any cream you use will soften the skin and make it weak, when its not needed

When I get sore, and yes I do get sore a few times a year, I use Zink cream and avoid ABDL diapers
ABDL diapers are wider and usually hold more, so you keep them on longer
With a medical diaper you can air the butt cheeks

I sometimes use babyoil on penis and balls as they tend to dry out, and it smells nice

2 hours ago, Dubious said:

I wear 24/7, use it for pee and change when it starts leaking or is about to leak

I very rarely use any form of rash prevention and don't always clean the diaper area between changes 
I believe this method hardens the skin and any cream you use will soften the skin and make it weak, when its not needed

When I get sore, and yes I do get sore a few times a year, I use Zink cream and avoid ABDL diapers
ABDL diapers are wider and usually hold more, so you keep them on longer
With a medical diaper you can air the butt cheeks

I sometimes use babyoil on penis and balls as they tend to dry out, and it smells nice

I almost never used creams yrs ago, I get much more rashes now, but I am drinking less liquids, and that makes my pee  stronger, that's when I need to use the creams. I would tend to agree with creams making it a weaker skin, but for me it's my water intake that makes me get rashes . 

I very rarely ever get diaper rash.  If I do, usually Desitin overnight and it is gone.

Lately I have had a severe itch that has lasted for several weeks.  It gets better, but then it comes back.  I tried Desitin, I tried just baby powder, I tried baby lotion, all had some relief, but the itching always came back with a vengeance.

I finally soaked a couple of Kleenexes in hydrogen peroxide and applied them to the area.  It took two days but the problem appears to be gone.  If that ever reoccurs, I may have found a very inexpensive solution.

I enjoy really soaking diapers and using them what they are meant for. Before taping up, I just use a liberal amount of Vaseline all around my private parts.

I have been wearing and using diapers for ages and have only had one rash from staying in a messy diaper for too long.