• Italian
    • Swiss-Italian
    • German
    • Swiss-German
    • Russian
    • Chinese
    • Korean
    • Other

I have been working with cesium beam frequency standards (atomic clocks) for 25 years, including 5 years maintaining them.

After the first few months, I couldn't see the point in wearing a watch anymore.

Ha, daylight savings time is enough to make a lot of people want to throw away their watches. I can only imagine learning how inconsistent our measurement of time is must be a lot worse for you.

Ha, daylight savings time is enough to make a lot of people want to throw away their watches. I can only imagine learning how inconsistent our measurement of time is must be a lot worse for you.

My watch looses about 5 minutes a day, but hey, that's OK because it gets corrected by a radio signal several times, which also alters it when the clock change for daylight saving.

I try not to obsess about it, but sometimes I have to synch all the clocks in the house.

I just bought a new analog quartz watch. It's simple and honest. After seeing what some of you guys pay for watches, I feel less guilty about paying $160 for this watch. xD

• 2 weeks later...

WOW. That must be a really good watch! What the heck does it do, tell you the astronomical time in 4 different countries while keeping perfect time?

There's no need to be snide. If you don't get it, just leave it.

With the accuracy of quartz, you can get by with a $10 watch. But it will look terrible, it will have rubbish movement that looks like children's toy, a

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Watch collecting is becoming a new hobby of mine. I currently have 7 watches. My favorite watch and brand right now victorinox. I have one field watch from them and one dive watch. I'm glad to see a few other collectors here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got a citizen automatic for Christmas and love it. It's a very clean looking watch with a smooth movement. I also bought a versa duo watch winder and am pretty impressed with its quality considering it was fairly cheap to buy.

Interesting fact: Almost every swiss person wears a watch, either because of this or for this quite a lot of places in Switzerland don't have clocks. I myself wear a Timex Expediton Stainless Steel back

I usually don't wear watches, I in-fact only own one watch and well... it is mainly to flash it around on my wrist more then it is to tell time, I mean don't get me wrong if I don't have time readily available I would of course go check the time but I rarely need it because of technology.

I don't wear a watch--sensory thing. The feeling of it on my wrist just drives me nuts.

Not only that, the last two watches I owned stopped functioning within two weeks of my buying them. I even replaced the battery of one, and it still died on me. I suppose I should have expected that, as they were cheap watches to begin with. (You really do get what you pay for).

As with other people here, I find it just as convenient to use my cell phone or tablet, so

An old Soviet Submarine officer's waterproof wind-up with a "caterpillar tractor" black rubber watchband that has a compass

Just do not tell Rachel, she will think I am flirting with the Dark Side (Darth Tiara? Eww). But this is not the Little Girl's Playhouse

On 8. 1. 2016 at 2:01 PM, TainCadioch said:

Interesting fact: Almost every swiss person wears a watch, either because of this or for this quite a lot of places in Switzerland don't have clocks. I myself wear a Timex Expediton Stainless Steel back

What's more interesting is that you're from Switzerland and you wear a Timex.