LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Plastic-Backed Going Away

So most diaper companies are going to "cloth-like outer covers" and are saying it is by customer request. This is not true. What is true is that as a oil-based product, plastic sheeting varies in cost from day to day - making it very hard to control manufacturing costs and thus retail pricing and availability.

So those of us who like plastic-backing need to stay on the brands that are left to keep the plastic.

I don't think that is true.

If you check, most cloth-backed diapers simply use a sheet of nonwoven fabric over top of the plastic backing. So the plastic is still there. I think this has to do mainly with advertising the product as "breathable" and more skin friendly to try and get more sales.

I really don't mind the cloth backed diapers... I just haven't found any yet that stay put very well when you tape them. The fabric cover always has some stretch to it, so you have to keep readjusting the fasteners.

I hate the cloth like too - now if it looked like a kids diaper I might give it a second glance - but no plastic right now means no buying for me.

• Like 1

Say it ain't so DD! Do you think that Bambino or ABU would ever go cloth-backed? I guess the majority of their customers are abs/dls so you would think they would want to keep us happy. I'm with you guys, I do not like cloth-backed diapers! Hopefully there will be some companies that will keep plastic-backed diapers or there will be many upset babies! :crybaby:

Walmart equate brand briefs are pretty good in terms of fasteners. I've never had one come undone or loosen on me, even after 8 hours of wearing. They aren't the best for absorbancy though so if you want to wet them several times, you'll need a stuffer.

• Like 1

Is a thin sheet of polythene (or whatever the plastic-back manufacturers use) actually cheaper than cloth-like? AFAIK, the cloth-like cover is still synthetic plastic fibre based (hence still oil) and is at least two layers (one layer with pores big enough to allow lots of air through, one layer with pores so small only air can get through and not liquids). In my uneducated opinion, plastic-back is probably cheaper...

it would be a very sad day if plastic backs were gone forever. However, if it does get to that point I believe the niche market will still provide a product for us. A lot like bambinos. It would still suck to have fewer diaper choices though. I already hate that all of the small store brands switched to cloth awhile ago. Granted, they weren't good diapers but at least they had the crinkles going for them.

If you check, most cloth-backed diapers simply use a sheet of nonwoven fabric over top of the plastic backing. So the plastic is still there. I think this has to do mainly with advertising the product as "breathable" and more skin friendly to try and get more sales.

This is not true of store-brands. Especially Walgreens' brand and the off-brands that can be found at Wal-Mart. They have no plastic, except for the velcro-like "tapes".

Maybe this is a stup!d question (okay, not maybe) but how can I tell which is and which isn't cloth backed?

I mean, we're talking about the physical outside backing of the diaper? And it's going to feel different from the front?

I mean, I read and read and read about this but I don't know the true feeling. I'm either completely use to cloth backed or I'm completely used to plastic back, but to tell the difference between the two, I have no idea where to start.

Maybe this is a stup!d question (okay, not maybe) but how can I tell which is and which isn't cloth backed?

I mean, we're talking about the physical outside backing of the diaper? And it's going to feel different from the front?

I mean, I read and read and read about this but I don't know the true feeling. I'm either completely use to cloth backed or I'm completely used to plastic back, but to tell the difference between the two, I have no idea where to start.

You're thinking of it backwards. Technically, the "backing" of the diaper is the outermost layer, since it's the backbone for all of the components. It's what you feel when you touch the outside of the diaper.

basically the backing is the side of hte diaper that touches your clothing, not your skin...

so the plastic is going to feel almost like a trashbag... its going to be smooth and 'slippery' and slightly cool to the touch.

the cloth is going to feel... like cloth.. like a tee shirt, or a blanket

• Like 1

If cloth is so ... CLOTH LIKE ... then why the heck wouldn't someone just invest in cloth diapers.

I mean, when I think of disposable, I think plastic.

Since adult diapers are for so many, I think having both available is an option, but realistically I wouldn't want to see plastic-backed eliminated ...

Wow, now I gotta join the fight!

well most people dont want to deal with the hastle of cloth diapers.. washing and everything.. for many people disposables are just more convienent....

No absolutely, I agree. Which is why they should offer both. I can see the advantages of a cloth-backed disposable, since its just that. Discreet and disposable. However, I think since there's a whole OTHER market, not to mention just people who like plastic or cloth (many adults who are NOT AB/DL), they should continue with both.

Maybe the situation is worse in the U.S., I don't know ... then again, all of our products are U.S. products so ...

I know there's some local-store brands but they're plastic backed as far as I know.

The cloth-like backed ones are also a bit more prone to leakage than their plastic-backed counterparts. It's all a marketing ploy to try and distance the diapers from the actual "diaper" association, because the target market is incontinent people, who are embarrassed about having to wear diapers. Only the specialized brands like Bambinos are targeted at the AB/DL market. The rest apparently don't consider us enough of a market share to be worthy of their attention.

I don't think that is true.

I really don't mind the cloth backed diapers... I just haven't found any yet that stay put very well when you tape them. The fabric cover always has some stretch to it, so you have to keep readjusting the fasteners.

Good observation, I noticed that awhile ago, but its true most cloth like cover diapers are still plastic underneath. I think diaper companies believe that a simple plastic sheet makes their product seem old and outdated....

This is what manufacturers base their products on. Sales, discreetness and a market they have created aimed at people who have bladder leakage problems. Not the AB/DL community. Yes, I like plastic backed disposable diapers, but they have been disapearing in leau of cloth backed disposables. Why? As stated, manufacturers are trying to disasociate adult incontinence products from actual "diapers" in the minds of people who have to wear them for actual need. After all, they have been calling even the tape on disposable adult diapers "Briefs" for years and years. Now, how making their diapers cloth like will disasociate adult incontinence products from actual "diapers" in the minds of people I'll never know! They are still diapers and now even actual baby diapers are made with the same cloth like backing! The other reason is regular underwear, briefs and boxer shorts are made out of cloth, like cotton. Manufacturers are out to give thier incontinent customers a product that will make them seem more like they are wearing regular underwear. After all, you don't see white cotton undershirts with plastic backing. I would be comfortable in saying that most (not all) incontinent people are older than 40 years old, many of them much older. Since cloth backed disposable diapers are relativly new (8 years maybe), the incontenent people most likely remember Pampers, Huggies and Luvs as plastic backed diapers, either when they were young and wore them as toddlers or when they themselves used them on their own kids. Since they probably accociate plastic backed products with diapers, manufacturers figure cloth backed products may make them think more of regular underwear.

Ok, why don't they just use cloth diapers then? Well, some people do. Many people do. Cloth diapers aren't as easily available in stores like disposable diapers are. Just about every drug store, grocery store and department store sells adult disposable diapers. Sure, you can get cloth diapers over the internet, but where in most towns can you just walk in and buy them? Plastic pants? Maybe at medical supply stores but mostly you have to get them mail order. Then, take into account that it's much easier to throw away a used disposable diaper than wash it (especially the messy ones). That's why it's more convienient and accessable to use disposables.

Here is the real problem. Disposable underwear. Yes, they have their purpose in life, but they really are for occasional light bladder leakage, not incontinence. The powers that be (manufacturers) have created a market for disposable underwear, claiming that up to one in every three people experience bladder leakage so everyone should wear them just to be safe! As I've said before, look at the TV commercials. They make it seem perfectly normal to wear them in case you can't make it home in time, are stuck in traffic, etc. They've taken normal everyday situations that we've all experienced and turned them into perfectly normal and acceptable excuses for wetting our pants and needing their products. Their products are touted as being thin, discreet, comfortable and for every day use! Naturally! They want to sell their product and by making them thin and cloth backed, they make people accociate them with real every day underpants. If you don't believe me, just take a look at the new Depend's underwear in boxer style prints! See? It's a constant marketing ploy to come up with different ways to associate their products with regular underwear so they can get more people wearing them, thus selling more products and making more profits. Those of you that have been around 10 years or so, just think of when you used to go to the store looking for adult diapers. Yep, they were diapers and that was about all. Plastic backed tape on diapers. Now when you go to a drug store, grocery or department store, you might be lucky to find a package of actual diapers amongst the hundreds of packages of disposable pull on underwear. The market has been changing over the years. Plastic backed diapers are out and cloth backed pull on disposable underwear is in. It's all about the market that's been created by these companies and what they feel they can convince the public into buying the most. I think everyone will agree that it's easier to convince regular people to buy pull on disposable underwear to use for light leakage problems than to go out and buy actual tape on disposable diapers, let alone plastic backed ones! I fully expect one day to see a commercial showing a woman with a huge pile of laundry, perhaps a working woman who dosn't have that much time to herself due to her job. The commercial will say something like, "Do you really want to come home from a hard day at the office and do laundry? Why not just wear our all-purpose disposable underwear instead of washing you panties? In fact, our underwear will even save you time on those bathroom visits! Just wet you pants and throw your underwear away after use! Saves time and you never have to launder your underpants ever again!"

We can only hope that the better companies realize there is still a need for actual adult diapers for those who are really incontinent and those companies will still produce them. Plastic backed diapers may survive with some of those companies, but only if people write and send in their comments about why the cloth backed ones don't work well (leaks and wicking at the legs, etc.). The majority speaks, so if you don't speak out about your favorite brand going to cloth backing, then we have no right to gripe.

Bottom line, they have zero interest in what customers actually want. They produce the product that is cheapest to manufacture, eliminate alternatives and force people to buy what they produce. People that have a physical need for adult diapers are going to buy what is available. Sure having both options is logical choice for the consumer but not from a profit stand point.