LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Airport Interaction

I have been meaning to post this little story for a bit, but am just now finding the time.

I fly a fair amount for work, and as a rule I always fly diapered. It really not a big deal to me since I wear diapers most of the time anyways. I have changed a few diapers in the airplane lavatory before and its not exactly the best place to do it, its really small. I much prefer to wait until I land and use one of the "family restrooms" that many airports (and lots of other places too) have these days. Much more room, some actual privacy, and a cleaner floor.

Anyways, I was flying back from Hawaii on a red eye flight to the DFW airport. I didn't get much sleep so I was pretty tired and kind of out of it as I got off the plane (it was also like 6AM local time). I had to switch terminals to catch a connecting flight. When I got the my gate I had enough time to go change my diaper, which after 8 hours really needed it. I know the airport pretty well cause I fly through there all the time. So I went off to one of the family restrooms that I have used before.

I get inside the bathroom, close and lock the door and start changing. Somebody tries the door, but its locked, and then they really try to come in, turning the handle and stuff (thank goodness for the lock). I eventually mumbled something to the effect of "somebody's in here". I finish up and grab all my bags and leave.

I get outside and some guy (maybe 40ish) is watching the door and sees me leave. He turns and yells to somebody I cant see (the person was around a corner) and says "He's out now. Yea. He shouldn't have been in there, but hes out now."

I hear this and kind of pause. I turn around, look at the guy and shoot him a "WTF?" look. He looks right at me and say "You shouldn't be in there. That bathroom is for people in wheel chairs."

I don't know if it was because I was tired or what, but I stopped walking away from him, paused, and turned around. Looking straight at his face I walked right up to him and we had a very short conversation.

"Look man, that bathroom is for families and people with special needs." I started. He cut me off quickly, "That's right, for people in wheel chairs and stuff." I cut him off in return, "Look man, not everybody with special needs is in a wheel chair. I was in there changing my diaper. I hate changing my diaper in a bathroom stall OK?"

He really didn't have any response and with that I walked away.

I often wear a diaper flying, too, and have used the Family changing restrooms for the added privacy and space. Nobody has ever said anything to me upon exiting, but I did once walk in on a couple changing their baby's diaper because they hadn't locked the door! I closed the door back and uttered, "Sorry!", as soon as I saw there were people in there, but they didn't say a word to me.

I have wondered whether a family waiting for the changing room might say something to me for using it, but I suppose if I just replied the same way that you did, Mr. Sea Otter (or perhaps just showed them a spare diaper in my bag), they'd understand.

Anybody on here work for an airport or other public space with family changing rooms? Who shouldn't go in there?

I have been diapered while flying as well, however, my experience was quite different. After arriving at DIA (Denver) from Vegas I was in need of a diaper change since I had been wearing the same diaper since the night before. Finding no family bathrooms in sight I decided to take my chances with a normal bathroom and using the stall meant for people with disabilities. When I walked into the first bathroom, I found that there were NO GARBAGE CANS except for the ones at the front of the bathroom. I searched around 3 of these bathrooms and actually had security watching me at one point and decided to wait until I was on the airplane.

I was so ticked off about the lack of garbage cans I almost went to talk to someone about their lack of accordance with the ADA. I decided against this because they probably would have called me a terrorist and I really just wanted to get home. Honestly, I have to admit though, I kinda like the airplane bathroom because I almost feel like they can probably hear me in there.

Just my 2 cents ;)

hehe wtg! I use the handicapped and family restrooms all the time and have always expected to someday be confronted by someone in a wheelchair waiting on me to get out. Hasn't happened, but if it ever does I too will explain that not all handicaps are as obvious as a wheelchair.

I agree. Good job, OP. I myself typically wear thick diapers so that I don't have to change until I get to my final destination. I always bring spares with me in case I leak, though. As a matter of fact, I just got off a couple of flights today from the Hawaii. I wore 7 Depends so that I didn't have to change until I got back home. Worked like a charm.

Good for you, Sea Otter. I can picture the guy that was yelling at you - the kind of guy with a mouth bigger than his brain.

I also use the family restroom to change in at airports. Never been confronted though I would probably say the same thing if I was.

thickdiaperbaby - SEVEN depends??? For serious? How could you even walk???

hehe. well, compared to what I normally wear at home at night, that is nothing. And Depends are thin anyway. I wore them under my Dockers. It worked, and I didn't leak! They don't call me thickdiaperedbaby for nothing!

I also try and use a family bathroom when I am out in diapers and need to change. There are some at malls and outlet centers that are never in use when I stop by. It's nice to be able to change in private. Now, I recently took a trip by plane (not diapered) and when I got to the airport, a small airport, both men's rooms in the terminal were closed for cleaning! Both at the same time! When I angrely questioned where people are supposed to go when then close both bathrooms at the same time I was actually directed to the Family Restroom by the cleaning staff! Basically they were telling me to use it! Also when I was in there someone wanted in and as I walked out it was a TSA guy! They have to pee too I guess!

My only experience with diapers at an airport was when I came back from Iraq the first time. I was engaged to a girl (who is now my just best friend) and she was wearing Attends under a pair of black slacks when she came to pick me up. I was not expecting it at all!!! I was kinda jealous though cause I hadn't been able to wear diapers in months, and there she was! Wearing right in front of me! I had to drive a half-hour back to our house before I had a chance to!!! I still have never gotten to wear on a plane though. The only civilian flight I've ever taken was to the Bahamas, and I didn't have the guts to because I wore shorts the whole time!

• 1 month later...

I don't understand what the issue is changing in a regular stall. I have changed my diaper in a regular stall.

From 1976 until 1981 I often changed my pinned gauze diaper in public ladies rooms. Back then I never saw a "family" public rest room.

In August 1981, when I knew I was about to move to a university dorm without a coin laundry, I had to learn to change disposables. I knew I would need a diaper on the airplane, so I started practicing changing my Attends in my own bathroom, using just one wall, trying to stay in a tiny space. After that using a restaurant ladies room stall was easy. Sometimes more recently I have used a public family rest room.

There have been times I have taken over 8 flights a week, meaning thousands of disposable changes for me. All it takes is practice and confidence.

I don't understand what the issue is changing in a regular stall. I have changed my diaper in a regular stall.

I don't know about the lady's but men's public toilets, especially in airports, tend to have very large gaps between the bottom of the walls/door and the floor, sometimes a foot or more. Frequently the door locks are broken or, in American public bathrooms, never installed (I've not seen that anywhere else). It's damn near impossible to change a diaper and dispose of it discretely in a regular stall. I've done it before in an airport or two but it's a feat of gymnastics and diapering skill to pull it off without being noticed. The 'family restroom' is vastly preferable if there is one and it's empty at the time.

On the subject of airport toilets, has anybody else here ever used Manchester Airport (UK)? I was there just over a year ago and I'm certain I saw a door near some toilets and shower facilities that was discretely labelled 'Adult diaper change station'. It was near the check-in area (T1, I think) but I was with my mother at the time so I couldn't exactly go back to have a look around it. I'd be curious to know if anyone else has actually seen that or if my mind was playing tricks on me :rolleyes:.

^

looking at the maps for the T1 check in area, I can only see toilets, and then the disabled & baby change rooms next to each other.

It would be a nice thing, but sadly expect you miss read, especially as the term 'diaper' isn't used in the UK. And they wouldn't use 'nappy' when refering to an adult product either I suspect.

I've changed very often in stalls in airports bathrooms, but I've often wondered if others in the bathroom are wondering what I'm doing. I've always imagined security busting in on my thinking I was taping on a bomb or something! LOL

Family bathrooms have so much more room and eliminate the concern over people hearing you untape and retaping your diapers. Not to mention the gap referenced in the other post....women often have pads and tampons to deal with, but men have no such issues....so it is harder to hide what you are up to. I know, many don't hide it, but many also want a little privacy to change their diapers!

I also applaud Sea Otter for the way he handled the situation.

However, I regularly change in plain old toilet stalls in men's restrooms. I used to be concerned about what others might think, but I've gotten quite brazen about changing and then depositing the rolled-up used diaper in whatever garbage can happens to be available. Nobody seems to pay attention - ever.

i have been confronted by people often regarding my status as a person with a disability.

the response i use is.

It is perfectly legal for you to verify that i have a medical need to use this facility, or to request this accommodation, however the minute you ask for specifics regarding my disability you are violating my ada rights and i will gladly have my lawyer and ada advocate contact your lawyer for specifics into a lawsuit for discrimination.

that usually shuts people up.

Terrific thread!

I've got real "RESPECT" for you, Mr. Otter! Thanks for standing up for yourself (and us too!)

Not so for YOU superthickdiapers: SEVEN Depends you wasteful, naughty little AB, wasting money on P & G like that...why not just double up with two Bambino's with Quadro pad and cover it all with an adult cloth diaper and plastic pants? The money you save could buy you more juice for your bottle.

I like hearing about others experiences with public restrooms...I don't control my bladder or bowels when in a diaper so have used public restrooms on several occasions. Favorite time was using the special needs restroom in a State Park. Lots of room to move around, lean on a wall, can drop your adult diaper on the floor when it's wrapped up so you can then put on another diaper. Even had a garbage pail to throw stuff like diapers in. I enjoy using them.

Glenndl