LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

What is Baby Oil useful for?

Little Sherri

Do you use Baby Oil?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Baby Oil, and if so, what for?

• No, I don't use it.
    • Yes, I use it (and please elaborate in the comments as to what you use it for).

Do any of you folks use baby oil? What is it for?

This stems from a text conversation with my wife on Sunday; I was golfing with a couple of buddies and had just sat down for some post-game analysis (which boiled down to, we all suck), and a beer (as required by law), when she texted me that she was at the pharmacy, and, saw that they had baby oil on sale, and did I need any?

She said "I don't think you use this but I saw it on sale in the baby aisle so I thought I'd ask", and accompanied that with a picture of a ~400 ml bottle of store-brand baby oil for $2.99, down from $4.99. 

I said "I don't really use it but for $3, sure, grab me a bottle, maybe someday I'll need it."

She texted "Okay I'll grab one then we'll have it if you get diaper rash or whatever" 

I don't think that's what it's for - I think it acts more like diaper cream, IE, as a barrier to moisture, and as a moisturizer, and it strikes me as possibly being a bit messy to use. I had a bottle of it years ago because I liked the smell, but I couldn't really figure out what to do with it and it went missing at some point, possibly taken by one of my kids, when it was still 90% full. 

So, now I have a bottle of baby oil in stock, and, also, confirmation that my wife peruses the baby aisle while she's waiting for her prescriptions. 

• Like 1

Baby oil is used as a barrier to protect against irritation. Baby lotion can also be used, but it is not as effective but contains some therapeutic ingredients and fregrance. Baby oil also used to have the classic J&J smell. Some baby lotions contain a bit of baby oil

What I use has several purposes. Why not let it speak for itself

It is put under the baby powder and with its glycerin (base), coconut oil, Aloe vera gel, vitamin E and Dreft Blissfuls, it protects, moisturized, restores and smells little girlish; thus earning the "BabyDoll" name. Along with being used as a baby oi, it can be used as a fregrance with a dab behind each ear, or it can be put in the bath, like Jean Nate. It is what anables the BabyDoll diaper go for 12, 16 or even 24 hours before needing a change. It is also harmless to rubber panties (I spread some on a piece of Comco material and left it there for 3 full days in a row and the material was no different from before, which cannot be done with ordinary baby oil, because it causes the material to harden and become brittle. That is important if you use the Stay-dry liner under the cloth diaper

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you look at the ingredients, aloe vera and vitamin E are likely to top the list.  It is a superb skin moisturizer, but it also acts as a barrier cream, with or without baby powder.  I even use it at the beach as a sun screen.

Those of us who are incontinent of both bladder and bowel use baby oil to protect the skin against bacterial diaper rash and, in the case of those using cloth diapers, against the infinitely worse yeast diaper rash.  I apply baby oil to my diaper area every night before donning my overnight diaper and vinyl pants, and after every shower or bath.  Skin care is a 24/7/365 battle, and baby oil is a major weapon in the arsenal, along with baby wipes.

• Thanks 1

I use it rarely, but when I do it's as a barrier for my skin to keep it moisturized and help prevent irritation and diaper rash from prolonged contact from urine.  I only use it if I will be in diapers for an extended time.  On my latest vacation trip I was in diapers 24/7 for 6 days and I used a light coating of Vaseline as a barrier at each diaper change.  When home and I have a Saturday off and the house by myself, I will use a good coating of Vaseline as well if a messy diaper is planned.  Baby oil will work almost as well for messy diapers.  It keeps my skin from becoming irritated from my messy diaper and also make cleaning the poo from my skin easier - it doesn't stick quiet as much with oil or Vaseline.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ValentinesStuff said:

How much oil do you get from the average baby?

Enough to grease a kiddy car

5 hours ago, Babypants said:

If you look at the ingredients, aloe vera and vitamin E are likely to top the list.  It is a superb skin moisturizer, but it also acts as a barrier cream, with or without baby powder.  I even use it at the beach as a sun screen.

Those of us who are incontinent of both bladder and bowel use baby oil to protect the skin against bacterial diaper rash and, in the case of those using cloth diapers, against the infinitely worse yeast diaper rash.  I apply baby oil to my diaper area every night before donning my overnight diaper and vinyl pants, and after every shower or bath.  Skin care is a 24/7/365 battle, and baby oil is a major weapon in the arsenal, along with baby wipes.

The ordinary baby oil will ruin your panties if it gets on them. BabyDoll Bath, Body and Baby Oil will not

To me baby oil is used as a moisturizer. When I was a kid, I'd always see mothers end up taking the kids out of a bath or out of a tub or something, and the first thing they would do is dry them up make sure their hairs is clean and everything else. Then they would take them into The bedroom, which they call the nursery, and the next thing you know they would lay you down and they would put that on their hands and run it all over your body from head to toe. It felt good, and it smells good to have that rubbed all over you, but I have to admit that if you use that stuff the wrong way, it can cause problems.

Baby Oil can also can be used as a barrier just like everyone has been saying, but I wouldn't use baby oil that way, because I've learned that if you start using topicals powder and baby oil all that does is cause a major problem, and even if all you do is put baby powder in your diaper or on your skin, if you let that stuff stay there and don't rub it in, and you put it in your diaper, the next thing that happens is that you end up with this stuff caking all over your skin all over the diaper and everywhere else. I've even had times when I've had to take the diaper off and in my shower have to rinse clumps of that stuff off. Is why I'm very careful about the topicals I use how much I use and what I use, because I believe there's an order to this: the order is baby oil, topical, baby powder, diaper, diaper cover!

When I was younger, my mom would always want to go out to the beach or she'd lay out in the sun when it was really nice on the patio Just like everybody else has been saying as well, my mother would use baby oil as a tanning aid, and man did it smell good all over the house when she'd walk by, or when she'd pick me up and she'd be smelling of that, it put me at ease, just like it's supposed to. The fragrance of that baby oil is something that you'll never forget, just like when you're a 70s baby for example and you end up opening a package of those plastic backed diapers called pampers! If you get a whiff of that you know someone's in diapers, and it can send you into orbit if for some reason you like that smell! Baby oil baby lotion baby powder and other types of things even baby shampoo, they're great, And I tell you if they're used correctly, it could put someone right at ease, because they smell it, they enjoy it, and they can relax. Imagine your partner giving you a complete rub down with all that stuff and at the end you feel like you're on cloud 9! 😊😊👍👍

Brian

5 hours ago, babykeiff said:

Use engine oil to stop engines squeaking.... and baby oil for similar 🤪

Can I infer from that if I use rattfink oil it will stop rattfinks from squealing?

Baby oil was sold as a way to keep baby skin soft. The way it was used was rubbed on a babies skin as soon as the baby was dried out of a bath - to comply with the comercial as a way to keep moiture in the babies skin. Actually, all it does is dry out a babies skin when combined with the other product that same company flogged - baby powder.

There is a natural oil in human skin that most people have, but as soon as they use any form of oil or moisturiser (an artificial oil) it tends to reduce the natural oils production and create a dependance on the additions where missing an application results in skin drying out.

Before the growth of plastic / rubber pants, babies didn't mess their diapers, and were changed after each wetting - as if they weren't the wetness would wet every where the baby went. Also, a wet cloth diaper without plastic pants etc feels cold very fast - as a result, a baby cries shortly after wetting cloth diapers without wearing plastic/rubber pants.

Plastic / rubber pants being tight on the legs cut into the babies leg and introduced rashes - a new phenonomen of the day (diaper rash), which the sellers of baby oil sold it with the lie that it prevented same. It doesn't. It was also sold as a way to block / reduce the smell of messy diapers, a concept that didn't exist before the introduction of plastic/rubber pants.

Baby powder was figured to be useful as a lubricant between rubber / plastic pant and skin to reduce cases of friction induced rash, but to cover the diaper area, all it does is get wet, clump up and create 'hot spots' where diaper rash starts. This usually happens within the creases in skin and/or between the inner leg and the genitals.

Using baby oil as a tanning aid is very risky - as the oil heats up and can cause deep burns below the skin. It also blocks the UVA light.

Most people presume that oil on skin induces a deep tan, but don't know or care how the skin actually tans - it is a reactive behaviour, where UVA triggers melanocites to produce menanin - the brown pigment that causes skin to turn brown. It is a self defense mechanism to prevent skin burning - which the baby oil defeats and when used in high sun areas, can cause 3rd burns all over the body - i.e. the skin burns and peels.

So, in simple terms, baby oil is as useful as a sunroof on a submarine etc., but baby powder has some uses, but none match the advertisment lies.

• Like 1

There is a third item. baby lotion. Back in the 1950's my aunt used to get the Johnson's which was a bit thinner than it is now, and take it to the beach and use it for protection from burning

Also, baby oil wrecks rubber panties, as does fat-based soap

Something interesting. Some 35 years ago, I read that dish "soap" is made of the same main ingredient as shampoo in a book on cleaning things. It also said that you could use dish "soap" to dclean clothes and should do so occasionally. Well, at the time and now, most dish cleaners are not soap, they are detergents that clean differently than soaps using a rather strange molecule. This makes them gentler on the bod and excellent for cleaning rubber panteis. That is why BabyDoll personal care and cleaners are better. The oil does not destroy any of the material. That came about because I wanted to make the bubble bath a premium one and put in aloe vera hel and coconut oil but that inhibited the bubbling. So I formulated a bath, body and baby oil. The bubble bath is made with detergent so it is immune from the claim that bathing lets the dirt and stiff get back on your body. I used glycerin, which is a moisturizer in and of itself, added the two other ingredients and then 11,000+ units of vitamin E. This is now useful since Dreft has changed the scent of its clothes detergent (I was the first, in 1933). At least they still make the hypoallgenic baby fregrance that can be used for other things which also dissolve in a no-rinse body wash that is good for cleaning during changes and I am working on the BabyDoll chagning kit which willbe added to the personal care album when I get a couple of other things and take a picture of it.

This is the real deal and what I use except for the baby powder, of which I have you to find a good DIY that can be properly scented. You can use a baby powder that might be a little of, like J&J since the BabyDoll scent will cover any deviation from the trye baby scent

• Like 1

I like the baby smell it gives me, but I have figured out that it holds in the Body heat, as it coats and helps the skin. I have used it for playtime also. I have a lot I got it before I figured out it holds in the heat, and that just maybe 🤔 my body. If it closed up the pores then your skin can't breathe. I don't have that issue with Vaseline. But I think as I have aged I have had hot flashes,,, like an Old lady. But it smells soo good 😊 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, foreverdl said:

I like the baby smell it gives me, but I have figured out that it holds in the Body heat, as it coats and helps the skin. I have used it for playtime also. I have a lot I got it before I figured out it holds in the heat, and that just maybe 🤔 my body. If it closed up the pores then your skin can't breathe. I don't have that issue with Vaseline. But I think as I have aged I have had hot flashes,,, like an Old lady. But it smells soo good 😊 

The skin does not breathe. The pores are a one-way exit. The process is called "acative transport"

1 hour ago, Moochie said:

I I use baby oil for masturbation.

That job is usually done by KY Jelly, sometimes put on the inside of rubber panties

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Moochie said:

...I use baby oil for masturbation.

That is probably what it is now used for by everyone, however, since it is not a water based lubricant, it can cause damage to areas that one would rather not damaged. If one wants to use a lubricant for that purpose, and they like the baby smell, use a proper water based one, but smear a drop of baby oil on ones philtrum (skin between nose and lip - on the face)

Baby oil can cause plastic and rubber to become hard and brittle and therefore destroy plastic / rubber pants, so even if one is using it on the diaper area, it really is not a good idea.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, foreverdl said:

@foreverdl

The dermis and epidermis are layers within the skin. Within same, the skin breaths and any substance on skin can stop this process.

This is a direct quote from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2290093/

It has been known since 1851 that atmospheric oxygen is taken up by the human epidermis. The contribution to total respiration is negligible. Until now the significance for the local oxygen supply of the skin has remained unknown. With a newly developed sensor, the oxygen fluxoptode, it has become possible to make local measurements of the transcutaneous oxygen flux (tcJO2). In this study the sensor was calibrated so that absolute values of tcJO2 could be reported. At rest, tcJO2 was determined on normal, humidified skin on the volar forearm of 20 volunteers of different age groups. In order to evaluate the contribution of the blood flow to the oxygen supply of the skin, tcJO2 was recorded at the end of a 5 min suprasystolic occlusion of the forearm. At normal skin surface partial oxygen pressure (163 ± 9 Torr), tcJO2 was 0.53 ± 0.27 ml O2 min−1 m−2. A 5 min interruption of blood flow resulted in an increase of 9.5 ± 6.3 % in tcJO2. The value of tcJO2 was unaffected by the age of the subject. Published data on the oxygen diffusion properties of skin and simulations of intracutaneous profiles of oxygen partial pressure indicated that under these conditions, the upper skin layers to a depth of of 0.25–0.40 mm are almost exclusively supplied by external oxygen, whereas the oxygen transport of the blood has a minor influence. As a consequence, a malfunction in capillary oxygen transport cannot be the initiator of the development of superficial skin defects such as those observed in chronic venous incompetence and peripheral arterial occlusive disease.

which identifies the requirements of the skins health to breath. Since the outer layer of skin is part of the human defense mechanism (to infection), when one interferes with same (via cuts etc), infection can enter the body. Vaseline, unlike oil, is not thin enough to penetrate the pores and block same - which means that although it can reduce oxygen to skin, it doesn't really cause skin breakdown (killing outer layers of skin through suffication) similar to a thick mackup / paint / baby oil.

The outer layers of skin, upto a depth of half a milimeter, almost exclusively gets its oxygen from breathing. This process of passing x across cell walls is how biology works, the process is called osmosis, and I find it foolish for anyone to state that skin doesn't breath. Items cross cell walls and to an extent, this means that every part of a human breathes, eats and drinks - including hair and nails.

• Any hairdresser will tell you the problems to hair when one adds colours etc.
  • Any nail saloon will tell you the problems of long term wearing false nails
  • Any optician will tell you the problems of long term wearing contact lens
  • Any makeup artist will tell you the problems of thick makeup etc...

.... and the same issue causes all these issues - the outer layer of the body - hair, nails, eyes, skin - all need to breath.

Therefore, it is a simple evaluation - baby oil on skin causes not cures/prevents skin issues.

• 5 months later...

Baby oil is used to keep your babies from Squeaking!   LOL Sorry, had to say it.

Baby oil is a moisturizer and also a repellent.  My son used to get a really bad reaction from swimming in my in-law's fresh water pond.  We discovered that small fresh water clams had started to multiply in the water and we suspected that was the cause of his rash and dry, scaly skin.  We started using baby oil on him before he went swimming and it prevented the reaction from getting any worse and helped to heal his skin at the same time. 

In the 70's, people also used baby oil to get deep dark tans.  Most of those people have skin cancer now or look like leather bags.  Just kidding. But it is not advised to use it for tanning.

• Like 2

No, I don't use it. I use a good barrier cream to protect my skin. I've started using this. It works very well and has a great scent. 

image.png

• Like 1

I use Johnson's baby oil. I use it mostly because my real mama used it on me as a baby and its smell and feeling makes me regress a lot and I love how smooth the skin becomes. Be careful because it's not a good idea to use it as lubricant with condoms, the oil base makes the latex break!