LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Yeah, I agree with the last 3 SW movies being quite lame.  So much of it was just rehash of prior story/plot elements --- Another death star??? Another evil Sith Lord leader? (And what the hell is the origin of that?) How original!  ?  I only just watched Ep 8 last week (watched Ep 9 a few months ago not realizing I was out of sequence).  How about the whole "OJ Simpson chase" crap... come on... follow with the big guns to drive them forward and then jump your other ships ahead and blockade them in a pincer movement.  Elementary tactics!

And yeah, being wiped out to only 30 or so people?  IN an entire galaxy?  And in Ep 9, the whole premise that an entire fleet of ships can be "grounded" by destroying 1 communications relay?  Come on.... satellites?  multiple-redundant networked systems?   And in all 3 movies - enormous ships can fall from space and yet still be intact when they crash into a planet?   Ever see what's left of a car from falling just a few hundred feet? 

12 hours ago, BabyJilly_S said:

I loved the original star wars, the later stuff was kinda meh. Rogue One was great though.

I agree --- Rogue One was done very well!  It tied right in with existing plots, had good characters... only if they had done 7/8/9 like that. 

Solo on the other hand ... I think it was trying to stuff 10 lbs of background into a 5 lb bag.

I'm obsessed with Star Trek, I've seen every episode of every series they came out with, as well as both the old and new movies.  The only one I haven't watched all the way through is DS9 because the characters, especially Kira, drove me crazy.  Voyager is my all-time favorite; I've seen every season multiple times.  I adore Seven of Nine; I'm autistic and she always reminded me of myself, trying so hard to fit in and never quite succeeding.

Star Wars can suck it! ?

• Haha 1

I've always been more of a Star Wars fan. I love Star Wars! Empire strikes back is my favorite Star Wars movie. I could never get into Star trek. it was before my time, but then again so was Star Wars. Maybe I'll binge watch Star trek on Netflix someday. LOL!? Darth Vader is my favorite Star Wars character and Luke Skywalker is my second favorite. I also really like return of the Jedi, I love it.??♥️? Although Star Wars has always been more of science fantasy than science fiction unlike Star trek. Star trek has always been more of science fiction. But I think both have something to like about them. And I think you can enjoy both equally.?

Since we are talking about stars, I prefer Stargate > Star Trek > Star Wars, in that order

I watch most if not all of Stargate every year
Star Trek I watch sometimes, but only a few episodes, it was the only series I had on my laptop when travelling
Star Wars I haven't watched in a long time. Have watched the new movies, but not season 2 Mandalorian, just not that hyped about it.

9 hours ago, Autiesaurus said:

I'm obsessed with Star Trek, I've seen every episode of every series they came out with, as well as both the old and new movies.

Are you this obsessed???? ?  The bookshelf is 2 layers deep - roughly 80-85 books on that shelf alone.  This is just the "TOS" books.  That's just a fraction of the books I have.  Got TNG, DS9, and Voyager book series as well.

And I have virtually every Star Wars book published through about 2010 -- haven't bought any of either in a long time and at this point don't plan to get any more.  They're taking up a lot of space and it's time to make some room for other things.

20210311_092044.jpg

TOSbookshelf.jpg

7 hours ago, Dubious said:

Since we are talking about stars, I prefer Stargate > Star Trek > Star Wars, in that order

I watch most if not all of Stargate every year
Star Trek I watch sometimes, but only a few episodes, it was the only series I had on my laptop when travelling
Star Wars I haven't watched in a long time. Have watched the new movies, but not season 2 Mandalorian, just not that hyped about it.

I'm a big SG fan as well -- started watching again just a few weeks ago.   But I don't do it every year.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Crinklz Kat said:

Are you this obsessed???? ?  The bookshelf is 2 layers deep - roughly 80-85 books on that shelf alone.  This is just the "TOS" books.  That's just a fraction of the books I have.  Got TNG, DS9, and Voyager book series as well.

And I have virtually every Star Wars book published through about 2010 -- haven't bought any of either in a long time and at this point don't plan to get any more.  They're taking up a lot of space and it's time to make some room for other things.

20210311_092044.jpg

TOSbookshelf.jpg

I'm a big SG fan as well -- started watching again just a few weeks ago.   But I don't do it every year.  

Wow that's a lot of books!  I definitely approve!  I've only read one Star Trek book, it was okay, but it read more like fanfiction to me and I had a hard time getting into it.

32 minutes ago, Dubious said:

Why read, when you can watch...

Reading is for nerds ?

Au Contrair my friend!  Perfect example!  The Star Wars book episode 4 explains more about the situation and characters than the movie.  Remember towards the end when Biggs asks Luke if he could hit the thermal port from that distance and Luke replies, "Just like Beggers Canyon back home".  They were best buddies before Biggs left for the academy, and Biggs jumped ship hooking up with the rebel alliance.  The night before he left he told Luke that was his plan.  That is just one example where you wouldn't really know the connection between Biggs and Luke had you not read the book.  It also explains what Princess Leia was doing on that ship when the empire captured it and took her prisoner, as well as what had taken place on Alderan with her father before that.  Movies are great, but you gain a whole different perspective from reading the book.  The end of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, for example, is totally different in the movie from the book, and frankly, I prefer the book to the movie, however the book just wouldn't have had the action to keep fans entertained.

I am a fan of more than just those two. The Expanse is incredible! The best reason for getting NetFlix, IMO. Great in 4k, BTW. This is a great example of how class warfare would play out across the universe. Well crafted.

Also, while I do like Captain James Tiberius Kirk, I also have a great appreciation for the character Jean Luc Picard. There have been some Star Trek TV spin-offs that really made me smile. One is "Boston Legal"- the writing on that show was better than great. The new "Star Trek Picard" is worthy of any Treky, IMO.

While I liked Star Wars 30 years ago, I'm no longer impressed. The latest versions have left me bored. I have even fallen asleep in the last one. Unforgivable, IMM.

Treckkie here. Used to watch TOS on our black and white consol tv way back when the series was new. Spock became my personal hero.... I wanted to be like him.. Kind of a jack of all trades, he could do anything!! Practically knew more about the Enterprise than Scotty! 

The movies were hit and miss, seemed that every other one was a dud. By far the BEST film though was "Wrath of Khan",  that was pure Trek! ?? the down side though, was the loss of Spock...I cried at the memorial...the bagpipes playing amazing grace.....and Kirks eulogy..... "Of all the souls I have met....his was the most.....................human."

The rest of the films were....ok. But then there was the jj abrams abominations which they dared call "Star Trek" films. The first one (star Trek) was passable, as they were bringing characters back, but at a younger age. They did a good job casting with this... I will give them that. Kirk (chris Pine) was a good substitute, but spock needed work, Zachary Quintos beard shadow was just to much, and the make up wasn't doing anything to cover it.....it was VERY distracting. As I recall, Vulcans in general had NO facial hair, except the obvoius eye brows. So that bothered me. Scotty was ok, maybe a bit too young to be THAT cranky.....but the best was bones McCoy!!! Karl Urban nailed him and I knew it even before he appeared on screen...voice and mannerisms...perfect! So I felt a bit better. The rest of the movie was..... Ok. It was, I believe, Lenard Nemoys last appearance as "Spock" though. 

I was happy/ sad at the end. Knowing that many of TOS series were gone, but it "seemed" that the franchise would be continuing in OK condition. That was a dilusion, as I completly lost faith when I saw " Into the Darkness" it was all COMPLETELY wrong! They screwed up the casting of Khan, and Cumberbatch was about as scary and threatining as a wedge salad!!! ? 

It took me a while to figure out that he was ..... "Suppoosed to be" Khan..., ( brig cell scene) after that, I lost interest, and left the theatre feeling very violated, and sick.......they had ruined and bastardized MY Star Trek!!!!! The world had stopped turning and come to an end....I was done. 

I wanted to hang Abrams!!!!, But his "defence" was thatStar Trek was to cebrial....to intellectual, and neede more action.....BULLSH*T. He should have left it alone. 

Star Trek was originally created to act as a platform to cover social issues of the day, but it us also timeless, as the same "issues" seem to keep cropping up. It also has a more intellectual side, sparking debate and conversation etc. This is what make it interesting.?

Star wars is, and has always been just a cowboy shoot 'em up action series, with little to no connection to anything. It's just "entertainment" . Yes, when I was a teen, I,  like bazillions of others stood outside in THAT line, which wrapped around the theatre building and went across the street, or parking lot...or, where ever. 

The first 3 uhhh... "Episodes" were ok....being a model builder I was awed and blown away with the model effects and such ?. The story was.... Ok, typical good guy bad guy, good vs. Evil kind of thing, but that got old after a while, and like others here, I lost interest after the ' jar jar'... thing.

Since Disney acquired the rights to he "franchise" they have basically beaten the whole thing into the ground.  I guess the effects are better, as I saw part of one of the "new chapters" a couple of years ago on a big screen while in a best buy. I was intrigued, but I knew that in  order to catch up, I'd have to go back and watch the myriad of episodes that I had given up on and missed....... Oh well, not really that interested in putting in that much effort... mEh!.

Star Trek rules....SW drools.... ?

• Like 1

I am a fan of sci fi altogether though I love Star wars Star Trek Stargate SG1 all 3 series.  And my all time favorite tv show not including the 2009 version is of course V the 1982 version is my all time favorite tv show. But since they do not have a movie.  There really is not a top favorite as I love them all.

Though I agree with @rusty pins I myself can not sit and read a fiction book from cover to cover.  As my ADD ADHD will not allow me to do so.  I get so distracted I can not do it.

@Dubious I really enjoy Stargate SG1 though I do watch atlantis from time to time.  I like SG1 better.

15 minutes ago, square_duck said:

Treckkie here. Used to watch TOS on our black and white consol tv way back when the series was new. Spock became my personal hero.... I wanted to be like him.. Kind of a jack of all trades, he could do anything!! Practically knew more about the Enterprise than Scotty! 

The movies were hit and miss, seemed that every other one was a dud. By far the BEST film though was "Wrath of Khan",  that was pure Trek! ?? the down side though, was the loss of Spock...I cried at the memorial...the bagpipes playing amazing grace.....and Kirks eulogy..... "Of all the souls I have met....his was the most.....................human."

The rest of the films were....ok. But then there was the jj abrams abominations which they dared call "Star Trek" films. The first one (star Trek) was passable, as they were bringing characters back, but at a younger age. They did a good job casting with this... I will give them that. Kirk (chris Pine) was a good substitute, but spock needed work, Zachary Quintos beard shadow was just to much, and the make up wasn't doing anything to cover it.....it was VERY distracting. As I recall, Vulcans in general had NO facial hair, except the obvoius eye brows. So that bothered me. Scotty was ok, maybe a bit too young to be THAT cranky.....but the best was bones McCoy!!! Karl Urban nailed him and I knew it even before he appeared on screen...voice and mannerisms...perfect! So I felt a bit better. The rest of the movie was..... Ok. It was, I believe, Lenard Nemoys last appearance as "Spock" though. 

I was happy/ sad at the end. Knowing that many of TOS series were gone, but it "seemed" that the franchise would be continuing in OK condition. That was a dilusion, as I completly lost faith when I saw " Into the Darkness" it was all COMPLETELY wrong! They screwed up the casting of Khan, and Cumberbatch was about as scary and threatining as a wedge salad!!! ? 

It took me a while to figure out that he was ..... "Suppoosed to be" Khan..., ( brig cell scene) after that, I lost interest, and left the theatre feeling very violated, and sick.......they had ruined and bastardized MY Star Trek!!!!! The world had stopped turning and come to an end....I was done. 

I wanted to hang Abrams!!!!, But his "defence" was thatStar Trek was to cebrial....to intellectual, and neede more action.....BULLSH*T. He should have left it alone. 

Star Trek was originally created to act as a platform to cover social issues of the day, but it us also timeless, as the same "issues" seem to keep cropping up. It also has a more intellectual side, sparking debate and conversation etc. This is what make it interesting.?

Star wars is, and has always been just a cowboy shoot 'em up action series, with little to no connection to anything. It's just "entertainment" . Yes, when I was a teen, I,  like bazillions of others stood outside in THAT line, which wrapped around the theatre building and went across the street, or parking lot...or, where ever. 

The first 3 uhhh... "Episodes" were ok....being a model builder I was awed and blown away with the model effects and such ?. The story was.... Ok, typical good guy bad guy, good vs. Evil kind of thing, but that got old after a while, and like others here, I lost interest after the ' jar jar'... thing.

Since Disney acquired the rights to he "franchise" they have basically beaten the whole thing into the ground.  I guess the effects are better, as I saw part of one of the "new chapters" a couple of years ago on a big screen while in a best buy. I was intrigued, but I knew that in  order to catch up, I'd have to go back and watch the myriad of episodes that I had given up on and missed....... Oh well, not really that interested in putting in that much effort... mEh!.

Star Trek rules....SW drools.... ?

I can agree to a point about the whole new star wars episodes 7,8,9.  I liked the characters though the story well was not there.  It really disappointed me when they brought back the Emperor even George Lucas said in a interview back in the 80s that the Emperor  died and was not coming back and Disney and JJ Abrams screwed it up.  The original director was not going to bring him back as I have read story plots from what he was going to do.

As for Star trek I think that JJ screwed up the 2009 and the newest movies Though Justin Lin's star Trek Beyond to me was good.  

I read just recently that there might be plans for a reboot of the Net Gen movie series though with new actors to play the parts as most are not wanting to put the uniform on again.  Something like what they did with the original folks.

1 hour ago, ValentinesStuff said:

We are going to make you sit on the potty ? until you start liking sci-fi. 

A bit brutal there don't ya think??? ?

Like @DailyDi, I’m not into either. Of course, it doesn’t help that I don’t watch a whole lot of TV either. The only series that I watched all the way through was “Planetes”, mostly due to the fact that orbital trash collectors aren’t that much of a stretch. I tend to like my space sci if more on the hard side. 

1 hour ago, Pokemonfan said:

Star Wars > Trek 

Doctor Who is amazing... Also the Expanse is a great show too 

Doctor Who is phenomenal, David Tennant will always be the "real" Doctor as far as I'm concerned!

• Like 1

I'm a major nerd for both as well as a major farscape fan

I give the best characters to Star Wars (mostly the book versions)

Most alien aliens to Farscape

and the best universe to Star Trek (because replicators and holodecks, though like mccoy I don't think I could trust the transporters)

I like both, but I've definitely seen more Star Wars than Trek. With Star Trek I would watch episodes when I happened upon it on tv, but they were usually random episodes. I'd like to get the series on dvd, but it's pretty expensive last I saw.

3 hours ago, id0ntknow said:

I like both, but I've definitely seen more Star Wars than Trek. With Star Trek I would watch episodes when I happened upon it on tv, but they were usually random episodes. I'd like to get the series on dvd, but it's pretty expensive last I saw.

Every episode is available on CBS All Access

And since their merger with Paramount, I'm pretty sure all the movies are also available

They're also on Amazon Prime Video