LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Windows 10

Two things I avoid like the plague are Norton and MacAfee. I use avast! and Malware Bytes

I remember, but never used the 8" floppies

My first "ride" was a TRS-80 Model I Level II and I lived it, on which I put a big pink satin bow and we dubbed it "Trissie"

Yep, plus one on the TRS model 80. Often called Trash 80 Using DOS commands was fun.

Yep, plus one on the TRS model 80. Often called Trash 80 Using DOS commands was fun.

I am talking about before TRS-DOS.

We had names for them all: Trash 80, PET Dog and Rotten Apple

I am running windows 10 pro and so far so good. I was able to locate IE11 since it was having issue with Edge Browser. I didn't have to really look for any drivers and all the issues my windows 8 didn't seem to have any those problems at all. So far so good.

Thanks for the heads up BP, I went in an had to go through each individual 13 pages of options and while I have nothing to hide, I still perceived it as a invasion of privacy (With this site alone) and was probably in some way "slowing" me down. I also went in and set it to log in with a local account so I don't have to do the attachment to my Microsoft account (which I never use). Anyway just rebooted and all seems good, although one has to wonder within all those pages of the user contract there isn't a line that says that whether you toggle all that stuff off, Microsoft is still logging it :P

I hadn't heard about Microsoft planning to make this the last Windows they make, but I somehow doubt that. I think the main reason to get everyone up to date and on the latest OS is because if they can drop support for earlier releases it will save them a lot of money by only having to support Windows 10.

As for spying... It isn't really spying if the options are there, I wouldn't think. If you can turn the options off it is less spying and more an opt in/out thing in my mind. It was pretty easy to opt out, one or two clicks when installing.

Realistically, at this point, your personal details are going to be known by many, many different places by now. All of us will be on plenty of databases intended to try and sell stuff or whatever so I'm not all that bothered. I've not yet seen a real downside to my info being sold to various advertising agencies except for targeted ads which I don't really have a problem with.

I'm probably missing something major but I'm not convinced that this "spying" is all that bad. We will see.

A little more hearsay for y'all ;) If you know what you're doing you can dump a fair amount of the included bloatware from the registry which is said to noticeably speed up some operations and boot-time. No procedural details and do NOT try this unless you know what you're doing because one wrong move and you can crash everything :o That person didn't use any of the old "Office" type programs which are now interwoven instead of being discretely separate as before. The presumption is that the interweaving eats up some of the processing capacity because it needs to run in the background all the time to function, so that may be most of the performance gains he found. I sure wish I knew that kind of stuff but I don't so all I can do is report what I hear :whistling:

MS said this was going to be the last Windows PC system way back when they began releasing details but they aren't saying much (if anything) about this now. They plan to just keep upgrading it

If you really want to boost boot up time, stop the windows logo from popping up. Also, end all those useless programs that begin at startup like your software updaters and the programs you use that don't need to run in the background. My boot up time is a few seconds.

I quit Microshaft back in the 90's after learning how to program and learning what all was in the software. I joined the army and worked with XP for 13 years, and also worked with Linux. I laugh with the push for Vista, oh what a goof that was. Microshaft has only been trying to fix their goof, and with all the stuff stripped from the new OS there is a lot of stuff that I really do not like, legal spyware from what you go to, what you click, what you search. So with the extras now coming out, prices are starting to show up.

I think I will stay with linux....

More on the privacy problems: https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/

A few have reported some data loss during the upgrade- as with anything important to you, do a backup and be sure it's fine before proceeding. That had been mandatory S.O.P. forever ;)

Also noted is that you cannot turn off automatic updates except in the "Enterprise" versions (like "Pro") :( If you set the option to not auto-install updates, when you next boot up you will find it reset back to "auto-install" :o The best solution so far for those who want control of their updates is to set that for a given time, then you can review the updates before they install, but you still cannot stop MS from trying and on the next reboot, you'll get them anyway <_<

Honestly every move people make online and in a lot of ways offline are already tracked, I'm still not sure why people have a problem with Microsoft doing it when there are so many that do it already. We live in a World where there are always groups gathering your information, Google, Government agencies, Microsoft will have been doing it before Windows 10, facebook, your TV provider, internet provider, phone company, anyone and everyone who can get details on people will have been gathering it for years, you have to assume every time you fill out a form, that info is being stored somewhere. No one can be anonymous, everyone leaves a footprint. Its part of everyone being more interconnected these days.

I'm also not sure why anyone would turn automatic updates off, doing that can cause big problems because you aren't getting patches that fix things like security holes. I'm sure mine and many, many others have had updates to Windows set up to automatically install for a long, long time.

Fulldiapers - Adobe problems probably mean flash which wouldn't be anything to do with your graphics card, it probably just means flash needs upgrading, I know some browsers such have firefox blocks flash by default because its rubbish and it gives you a little pop up asking if you want to turn it on when you visit a site that needs it.

I agree with elfking. I have had trouble with viruses in the past. Windows 8.1 windows defender had some weaknesses where some malware may shut it down. Now with the new software, it is acting more like an anti-virus software, but I have other things installed to protect me as well.

We still have some xp's at work, but we cannot connect them to the Internet, because they are very vulnerable to attack.

Apple may actually have a larger security flaw than windows. I recently read an article about Thunderstrike 2, a worm that can get into apple computers without you even knowing and the only way to get rid of them is to reprogram the chips manually or get a new computer. Plus, the infected computer is highly contagious.

I also agree with you on the updates dailydi. Some of them can literally be Trojan horses, so you should understand what is being updated on your computer. Of course, you are also damned if you never update, since your security will be outdated.

I don't think Apple is any safer than windows as any code made by man can be unmade by man; PC is just targeted as the market share leader so there are more users to target with an exploit.

I don't think Apple is any safer than windows as any code made by man can be unmade by man; PC is just targeted as the market share leader so there are more users to target with an exploit.

every os(yes even your phone) ever written has viruses, trogens, etc. its just that windows has more because it has the most users

Apple may actually have a larger security flaw than windows. I recently read an article about Thunderstrike 2, a worm that can get into apple computers without you even knowing and the only way to get rid of them is to reprogram the chips manually or get a new computer. Plus, the infected computer is highly contagious.

I'm familiar with Thunderstrike 2. It's an interesting proof-of-concept virus, but it's hardly anything new, and is actually based off of an earlier virus that successfully attacked Windows computers using a similar exploit. The reporting on Thunderstrike 2 has been sensationalized to make it sound far more threatening than it actually is. The same chips that can be exploited on the Mac can be exploited (notably with even greater ease) on a machine running Windows. (The original Thunderstrike was designed to attack/tested on Dell, Lenovo, HP, and Samsung machines, while Thunderstrike 2 was an attempt to see if the same technique could be applied to a Mac.) Additionally, Apple is already in the process of fixing the security holes pertaining to Thunderstrike 2. Out of six vulnerabilities tested, five affected the Mac, one was patched, and another was partially patched that broke the proof-of-concept attack. You might want to read the iMore article below for more information on how it actually works, and how it's really nothing new as far as threats go. (They actually describe it as a greater threat to consumer stress levels than to actual hardware, precisely for the reason I mention above about how it's being reported.)

http://www.imore.com/thunderstrike-2-what-you-need-know

Make no mistake, the remaining vulnerabilities still need to be patched, but this worm is just as much of a problem for Windows users as it is for Mac users.

I also agree with you on the updates dailydi. Some of them can literally be Trojan horses, so you should understand what is being updated on your computer. Of course, you are also damned if you never update, since your security will be outdated.

This I completely agree with you on, eventually you have to update any computer for security purposes, but you ought to know what the update you're installing does before you blindly allow it to be installed on your computer. There's also the chance of legitimate updates containing rogue/corrupt code, which can and has happened before. Adobe has pushed out updates that have temporarily bricked their software in the past, although most have only bricked a portion of it and not the whole program. (These have all been fixed with additional patches.) Apple pushed out an iOS 8.x update that caused some iPhone users to be unable to use the phone portion of their device for a couple of weeks. (This could be avoided by doing the update through a computer connected to iTunes, but people who just downloaded the update over Wi-Fi wound up with iPhones that were more like an iPod Touch until the problem was fixed.) I could go down a list of other companies that had similar issues with updates, and that users were able to avoid by not installing the update until a replacement had been made available. Microsoft is taking that option away for their users without a "pro" OS though, which means that if they push out a botched update like this, a huge chunk of their customers won't be able to avoid it.

While I agree with you that any code can be targeted and exploited, I do think that the code in Windows is often much easier to exploit than the code in OS X or other Unix-derivatives, including the many flavors of Linux that are available. To their credit, Microsoft has gotten better about this in recent years, but on the other side of the coin, they'd reached a point where they couldn't get much worse before they started making improvements. There are definitely more people who can be targeted with a Windows exploit than an exploit on OS X or another platform, but Microsoft's security flaws are frequently easier to target, and are frequently the kind of issue that would have been laughably easy to prevent. I make no claims that a Mac is impervious to viruses, because that's never been true, (and Mac users running Windows need to remember that any virus that infects a typical Windows machine can also infect their Mac running Windows,) but it's always been more difficult to infect a Unix-based OS than to infect Windows, and OS X is no exception. More difficult doesn't mean impossible though, and Mac users need to keep their guard up just as Windows users do. (The chances of getting hit with something are much lower, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible, or that Mac users should ignore basic security precautions.)

every os(yes even your phone) ever written has viruses, trogens, etc. its just that windows has more because it has the most users

While you are technically correct, it's a lot more difficult to infect something like a phone precisely because of how phones are typically sandboxed, making real-world exploits much more difficult to pull off. Jailbreaking iOS and rooting Android are two good ways to open yourself up to vulnerabilities on a mobile device though, but even then real-world vulnerabilities are minimal. Microsoft gets targeted not only because it has the most users, (although that certainly makes it a very appealing target,) but because it's also the easiest OS to hack. The ease with which Windows can be hacked actually caused Google to reverse their previously policy on allowing employees to pick their OS from any of the big three, (Windows, OS X, or Linux,) and to ban the use of Windows outside of projects that required testing specifically on the Windows platform. (Google employees may still choose between OS X and Linux though.) Having the most users definitely doesn't help Windows, but it's not the only reason why Windows has the most viruses.