LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Traveling To Paris And Bedwetting

After a several year break, my bedwetting returned last year. Not a big deal, after visiting a doctor to make sure it was not a symptom of something more serious. Hey, I like wearing diapers anyway, my wife is understanding, .

I have an upcoming week-long work trip to Paris, though, and I've never had to deal with bedwetting while traveling before. What do people do? Call/email the hotel in advance to make sure the mattress is protected? Ignore it and hope the diaper leaks aren't noticed?

I'm used to using cloth at home, but I intend to bring a few disposables, and buy additional diapers when I arrive. Where can I expect to find good diapers, hopefully good night diapers that will leak minimally? Are stores open on Sunday? What brands should I be looking for?

Thanks for all your help...

I used to work in hotels quite a bit and most good ones use a mattress protecter of some sort just because. While its not like a rubber or pvc sheet it does protect the mattress. If your reall concerned go to walmart and buy a plastic sheet to bring with you they are cheap enough and you can throw it away when you leave. Enjoy your trip.

If it is a US based hotel chain the policies should be similar and you ought to ask them for mattress protection as you check in B) If not, then I don't have a clue :whistling: And in any case you should be ready to do what you need to protect the property of others while it is in your care, even if that means buying it on your own or bringing it with you ;) In most cases if you take reasonable precautions, accidents are forgivable. Others can help you with the rest of your question as we are blessed with travelers and Europeans on this site who will know more than me on this subject :thumbsup:

Bettypooh

I've never told a hotel that I am a bedwetter. I just wear a good disposable and don't worry. Leaks are rare and very small if they ocur. I also almost always carry all diapers that I'm going to need with me. The Abena X-Plus and Bambino Bianco are two very heavy duty disposables that would handle your bedwetting with a minimal probably of a leak.

I have no idea where to buy diapers in Paris. If you know any French, try posting the "where to buy" question on the forum at abkimgdom.com.

I've never told a hotel that I am a bedwetter. I just wear a good disposable and don't worry. Leaks are rare and very small if they ocur. I also almost always carry all diapers that I'm going to need with me. The Abena X-Plus and Bambino Bianco are two very heavy duty disposables that would handle your bedwetting with a minimal probably of a leak.

I have no idea where to buy diapers in Paris. If you know any French, try posting the "where to buy" question on the forum at abkimgdom.com.

Mais oui, une bon chimiste!!!

Take whatever diapers you will need with you. Finding the right diapers overseas is a PITA. Also, be sure to take a couple of nights worth along in your carry on bags as your checked luggage might not arrive with you. I take a disposable bed pad along with me, OR I wear plastic pants over my disposable.

Enjoy the trip!

Most european hotel chains - including the ones in France - are tuned in enough to cater for 'disabled guests'. Also, it is not unusual for a bed to be wet in the morning in a hotel - so most place mattress protectors to ensure that only the sheets get attacked rather than the mattress. If you are worried, it is better to talk to the housekeeping staff or the manager rather than the receptionist.

Diapers are available in most supermarkets in Paris, but for the good quality brands, I suggest that you check out the speciality chemists, who will, if you want, order per box / pack for you to collect when you get there.

One of the quirks in France is that the french tend to dislike people who speak english to them. It is better to attempt to speak French, and with all written communications, email in French.

While off topic, I find it interesting that English was scorned even in England during parts of the Middle Ages, in favor of French.

On the other hand, I know there are a good many people in the US that are of the mind that if you're here, speak English. Not that I necessarily agree, but it is still true.

I heard it in joke form somewhere..."Americans call single-language speakers monolingual, everyone else calls them Americans." >.< To tell the truth, I spent four years learning Spanish and I understand Old English better. :P

Well, I'm now in Paris. To answer some of the questions I asked... I ended up leaving a note for housekeeping (in French, or course!) asking for them to protect the bed; they added a very thin sheet that feels like the outer part of a "cloth-like" disposable. So that's good. They also left an extra supply of plastic bags for disposal.

Pharmacies are not open on Sundays, but local supermarkets ("Carrefour") carry Tenas; I was able to find some Plus, which aren't great but seem to work OK. Interesting side note... I did learn something... while "Couche" translates directly as "diaper", the term "Changes Completes" translates (according to Google) as "Nappy", and seems to imply a disposable brief as opposed to a reusable cloth type diaper. Asking for "couches pour adultes pour nuit" will get one pointed towards the (minimal selection of) plastic pants, while "changes completes pour adultes pour nuit" will get one pointed to the Tenas. Maybe a French speaker can correct my interpretation!

And now you know! (ding.)

Another interesting thing is that the word diaper actually came from a particular kind of pattern, either on fabric (from which diapers got their name) or on paper! I had to stifle a laugh when my illumination teacher called a background pattern 'diapering'. (I think it can also be called couching, from the corresponding idea in French.)

'Nappy' is short for napkin, IIRC, and I don't know WHERE that came from, but I guess at least on babies, cloth diapers may have been quite similar to cloth table napkins at one time.

Another interesting thing is that the word diaper actually came from a particular kind of pattern, either on fabric (from which diapers got their name) or on paper! I had to stifle a laugh when my illumination teacher called a background pattern 'diapering'. (I think it can also be called couching, from the corresponding idea in French.)

'Nappy' is short for napkin, IIRC, and I don't know WHERE that came from, but I guess at least on babies, cloth diapers may have been quite similar to cloth table napkins at one time.

The word 'Nappy' is an English mispronunciation of the french word 'nappe' which translates as 'table-cloth'. The English word 'napkin' translates to the French 'serviette'. It was the French aristrocrats that started placing seperate cloth on their babies to collect the mess etc. The French word 'couche' - which is the current translation for 'diaper/nappy' comes from the play sounds a nanny/care-giver used to say to an infant 'coochie-coo' which was a term of affection and also the infantile pronunciation of 'coquet peu bebe' which is 'pretty little baby'.

The English adopted the word 'nappe' as nappy, and the process. The American term 'diaper' came from the use of hemp rags, or the scrap cloth from the pattering machines. With the growth of, and the production of disposable diapers (1961), and the 'quilting' design that was used to increase the absorbancy of paper pulp, P&G adopted the word 'diaper' for the name of their product although Vic Mills called the product Pampers. However, it was Marion Donavan who first invented plastic coating - for cloth diapers, and then the disposable diaper (1950). It seems common practice, due to the strength of marketing, for a product name in the US to be replaced by a trade name. It is also possible that the word 'diaper' has original roman history.

The french 'dia-ing' or diapering is from pattering a cloth in diamond shapes - and is a concatonated word of the French - diamond and the 'ing' in English rules.

Whether you are aware of this or not, English is the most complicated and incorrect language in use in the world. Every other language follows strict rules. English rewrites its own rules on a daily basis. It also absorbs other languages as a matter of course. It would not be overly incorrect to say that every word in french exists in the English language.

I second the assertion that the French would rather you struggle through hackneyed attempts at French than to just stand there like a buffoon speaking English to them.

They're much more likely to help if you at least give it the old college try. ;)

• Like 1

Well, I'm now in Paris. To answer some of the questions I asked... I ended up leaving a note for housekeeping (in French, or course!) asking for them to protect the bed; they added a very thin sheet that feels like the outer part of a "cloth-like" disposable. So that's good. They also left an extra supply of plastic bags for disposal.

Pharmacies are not open on Sundays, but local supermarkets ("Carrefour") carry Tenas; I was able to find some Plus, which aren't great but seem to work OK. Interesting side note... I did learn something... while "Couche" translates directly as "diaper", the term "Changes Completes" translates (according to Google) as "Nappy", and seems to imply a disposable brief as opposed to a reusable cloth type diaper. Asking for "couches pour adultes pour nuit" will get one pointed towards the (minimal selection of) plastic pants, while "changes completes pour adultes pour nuit" will get one pointed to the Tenas. Maybe a French speaker can correct my interpretation!

And now you know! (ding.)

And so we do :D This kind of thread is what sets DD apart from other ABDL sites ;) There's more useful info here than any other ABDL site I've visited :thumbsup:

As to languages, English sucks- just ask anyobne who learns it as a second language :roflmao: I've had that conversation a number of times with immigrants while trying to teach them English as I learned some of their native language in return ^_^ All the travel shows mention that many Parisians speak some English, but until you try to speak to them in French they won't acknowledge that :o C'est la vie!

Bettypooh

I can somewhat understand the attitude of the French / Parisian National in that they will only speak English to you if you speak French to them. Although you are a guest in France, it is courtesy to attempt to learn a few things of your hosts country - and as language is so important to them, why not attempt to learn a few words of French. The average French person will attempt, as a response to your courtesy, try to speak English to you. They find it an insult to them, their culture and their language for a guest / visitor to their country to insist that they learn your language if you don't at least attempt theirs.

I've seen this type of attitude and behavior across Europe - Germany, Sweden, and in some parts of Russia. Most of the people that I've met, can, and are willing to speak English - for the practice - as long as you meet them somewhere in the middle - ie you speak some of their language. Personally, I find the French the most insistent, in that they will openly ignore and insult you if you try and act bullish and talk to them in English. From what I have read, don't know if this is still true, the French people dislike the English, and if it is true, it could be one of the reasons that they are so proud of their own language.

Air Traffic Control worldwide uses English as the international language except when over French air space. Then the language used is French. It is also one of the languages with the least diachronic change.

• Like 1

I've been to France and can comment. Having spent a bit of time learning French before I went there it was mostly wasted in a practical sense. However in a cultural sense I got to meet a lot of friendly people who were more than willing to show an Australian around. And were more than happy to speak to me in English after I had made an attempt at using French!

Personally I have no issues learning another nations language in an attempt to make my travels through their country easier - JUST DONT ASSUME EVERYONE KNOWS ENGLISH AND PUT SOME EFFORT IN READING OFF A LANGUAGE GUIDE BOOK! People will help you out. Also if traveling overseas where English isn't spoken everywhere a few night classes in another language is never wasted!

When I help tourists in Sydney if I can respond in their native language I will (even badly then again in English; will help them out. Sometimes if what they're looking for is close just take them there!). I think this is a common courtesy and respect. *shrug* (as is trying to use the local language to ask for directions!)

Americans make out like the French are arrogant.. every nation has its selection of assholes. Dont be one and try to use their language when visiting.

In regards to shops in France where you can buy diapers, what other brands can you get and at what shops? Id be interested in going back there and traveling around again by myself and might like to wear them.

• 2 years later...

In regards to shops in France where you can buy diapers, what other brands can you get and at what shops? Id be interested in going back there and traveling around again by myself and might like to wear them.

I can somewhat understand the attitude of the French / Parisian National in that they will only speak English to you if you speak French to them. Although you are a guest in France, it is courtesy to attempt to learn a few things of your hosts country - and as language is so important to them, why not attempt to learn a few words of French. The average French person will attempt, as a response to your courtesy, try to speak English to you. They find it an insult to them, their culture and their language for a guest / visitor to their country to insist that they learn your language if you don't at least attempt theirs.

I've seen this type of attitude and behavior across Europe - Germany, Sweden, and in some parts of Russia. Most of the people that I've met, can, and are willing to speak English - for the practice - as long as you meet them somewhere in the middle - ie you speak some of their language. Personally, I find the French the most insistent, in that they will openly ignore and insult you if you try and act bullish and talk to them in English. From what I have read, don't know if this is still true," the French people dislike the English", and if it is true, it could be one of the reasons that they are so proud of their own language.

Air Traffic Control worldwide uses English as the international language except when over French air space. Then the language used is French. It is also one of the languages with the least diachronic change.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stephdiapered

After a several year break, my bedwetting returned last year. Not a big deal, after visiting a doctor to make sure it was not a symptom of something more serious. Hey, I like wearing diapers anyway, my wife is understanding, .

I have an upcoming week-long work trip to Paris, though, and I've never had to deal with bedwetting while traveling before. What do people do? Call/email the hotel in advance to make sure the mattress is protected? Ignore it and hope the diaper leaks aren't noticed?

I'm used to using cloth at home, but I intend to bring a few disposables, and buy additional diapers when I arrive. Where can I expect to find good diapers, hopefully good night diapers that will leak minimally? Are stores open on Sunday? What brands should I be looking for?

Thanks for all your help...