LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Physician'S Assistants, Nurses, And Physicians

I've been going to the same clinic now for about twelve years. You'd think after all the corrections they'd finally get it. "You'll need to remove your . . . uh . . . pads." My answer: "They're called diapers, doc! Gauze prefold diapers, to be exact. You may call them that." Yesterday the nurse and physician's assistant finally got it right. The nurse said without a hitch in her voice: "Let's get those diapers off." The physician's assistant asked if I needed help getting my diapers back on. Finally! Even though I've been issued a medical card about my incontinence, allergy to disposable diapers, etc., I still get asked why I'm wearing them. But I'm making progress. Now we'll change our insurance and start all over again!

Let's remember that the majority of people with incontinence are NOT necessarily happy about wearing diapers, or even having them called such. Calling them protective undergarments or somesuch helps them retain a degree of their dignity, which is why medical professionals tend to use such terms.

• Like 4

Twas incontinent. Twas unavoidable. Twere better than peeing on the doctor's floor.

Snugglebug is correct though and gets a plus 1.

Make that a plus 2 :D And peeing on the doctor's floor isn't something to be done unless you want a psychiatric evaluation as treatment, as well as a new doctor :lol:

I prefer the term "diaper" myself, as I have no problem dealing with reality directly and that's what they really are, yet there are people who are more comfortable using euphemisms instead. Neither way offends me so long as I have my diapers ;)

Bettypooh

Make that a plus 2 :D And peeing on the doctor's floor isn't something to be done unless you want a psychiatric evaluation as treatment, as well as a new doctor :lol:

I prefer the term "diaper" myself, as I have no problem dealing with reality directly and that's what they really are, yet there are people who are more comfortable using euphemisms instead. Neither way offends me so long as I have my diapers ;)

Bettypooh

Thanks! :) Interestingly, though, it took me a while to get more comfortable with the term 'diaper'. I was able to use the British term 'nappy' far more readily. Weird that, eh?

I would totally hate to have a allergy to disposable diapers....

Yeah. I've spent thousands trying to find a disposable that I can wear. The rash is instantaneous, instantly painful, and feels like there's some little bug running around with an acetylene torch scorching my skin! Not fun!

Bettypooh

Well said! There is no shame in wearing a diaper, or in being incontinent. Nor is there shame in having blue eyes, or black hair, or walking with a limp, or having more or less pigment in your skin!

I said "diapers" to my urologist's assistant and she looked at me in shock like it was a bad word. I tried correcting her, but she even had a hard time understanding why I wore them even though I'm urge incontinent. Later my urologist called them "briefs" so I had to correct him that I wasn't wearing fruit of the loom, the diapers I was wearing were Abena's. Surprise, he hadn't even heard of them.

• Like 1

I said "diapers" to my urologist's assistant and she looked at me in shock like it was a bad word. I tried correcting her, but she even had a hard time understanding why I wore them even though I'm urge incontinent. Later my urologist called them "briefs" so I had to correct him that I wasn't wearing fruit of the loom, the diapers I was wearing were Abena's. Surprise, he hadn't even heard of them.

Why 'correct' them? If they choose to call them 'briefs' or somesuch, why insist on 'diapers'?

• Like 2

Why 'correct' them? If they choose to call them 'briefs' or somesuch, why insist on 'diapers'?

I agree completely with you. Why correct them, if thay want to call it something different, so be it...who cares? I personally don't see the logic in trying to correct a Doctor.

They just want to be politically correct, that's all.

• Like 1

my doctor, has never called them diapers, she calls them under garments. witch is correct.

this is what i was told, diapers are for small kids, undergarments are for adults. im like ok what ever,

to me they are diapers, if they are taped or pinned on. undergarments if you pull them up or place them in your underwear.

• 1 month later...

Even my continence advisor prefers to call them products, we were once chatting about products and I kept saying nappies and she kept saying products and she slipped and said nappies and went very quiet ans appologised to me.

I said I call them nappies cause that's what they are don't you agree? I agree she said but to be honest some people just freak out at the word nappy, so we are trained to call them products, pads, undergarments all sorts of names but not nappies.

Even my continence advisor prefers to call them products, we were once chatting about products and I kept saying nappies and she kept saying products and she slipped and said nappies and went very quiet ans appologised to me.

I said I call them nappies cause that's what they are don't you agree? I agree she said but to be honest some people just freak out at the word nappy, so we are trained to call them products, pads, undergarments all sorts of names but not nappies.

A few months ago I was asked by uroligist nurse what type of protection I wear. I told her that I wear pads. She asked if they wear pullups and I told her they had tapes. She then said Oh you mean diapers.

There are several types of protection and if you were a device that is held on by tapes or pins it is an adult diaper. Diapers are not just for babies!

i had a very similar experience. My continence advisor also refered to them as products, pads, all-in-ones. We needed to differentiate between the straight pads and the nappy-type ones with the tapes, so I called them nappy-type pads, and then just nappies and that seems to have stuck now. Its so much simpler!

Less embarassing language is so curious. It is amazing how we choose words to not embarass ourselves or others.

This politically correct language seems to continue into changing too. Babies are changed. Adults are made more comfortable.

Let's remember that the majority of people with incontinence are NOT necessarily happy about wearing diapers, or even having them called such. Calling them protective undergarments or somesuch helps them retain a degree of their dignity, which is why medical professionals tend to use such terms.

I agree with this statment..

Doctors may even call them breifs etc because A obveiously it makes the user more confortable and gives them a lil self respect, and B the docters themselves might be uncofortable calling it a diaper since an adult is wearing it.

Less embarassing language is so curious. It is amazing how we choose words to not embarass ourselves or others.

This politically correct language seems to continue into changing too. Babies are changed. Adults are made more comfortable.

Around here adults are "cleaned up." I agree that language is curious.

No one will ever say parasite. They'll say agent.

They don't say cure. They'll say treatment.

Same idea as here, covering up something that's uncomfortable for you to talk about it by disguising it with euphemisms. Maybe a bit of a drastic example, but I think it's basically the same.

It is an odd dynamic indeed. I would much rather just call them diapers, the other names just seem to formal. I like to be casual whenever I can.

And by treating it like no big deal i'd think, that is exactly what it becomes.