LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Is this progress?

I put my starting journey out there over the summer and have been 24/7 since. Never wet the bed as a kid. Like, ever. Don’t even need to pee at night, I’d always just simply wait until morning if I felt the need before sleep (a habit I’ve tried to break). Since starting, I rarely, if very hydrated, would wake up, adjust my pads to ensure they’re underneath me, and wet. Most nights I sleep and just wet in the morning. Four times this week, I’ve woken and wet but woken very early and just wet without checking to make sure the pads were in place and fell back into a quasi-slumber. That resulted in some wet sheets when I fully awoke. My question is this: I only have a very vague recollection of this happening. Before, I would clearly remember waking to adjust and wet. Now, I struggle to recall doing so. Is that progress?  I still remember the waking, kind of…after thinking on it, but the memory fades pretty quickly. 

Yeah, this is pretty much what you want to happen. When you wake up needing to pee, this is usually because you've reverted to Stage 1 sleep, where things like just feeling uncomfortable are enough to wake you up. We get pretty good at just like turning in bed, maybe grabbing the pillow and snuggling down before drifting back into proper sleep, but we were also all painstaking taught not to just instinctively release the pressure in our bladder, and instead either ignore it, or get up and drag yourself to the bathroom.

When older kids have trouble with bed-wetting, I believe that's usually cause by sleeping too deeply, but I've no idea how you'd train that behaviour into yourself, or if it's even possible, if that's what you wanted. Most of us just want to get back to when instinctively voiding, immediately, whenever, wherever, was a natural and automatic a behaviour as stretching, rolling over, scratching your nose etc.

So ideally that should be your goal, as soon as you realise you're awake, get comfortable (cos that's the biggest obstacle to falling immediately back to sleep), and let go. Eventually it should become automatic, and then unconscious. 

Although, if you don't remember it in the morning, does it really matter if it was a conscious choice or not? I don't think a lot of people realise, just how much of a fuzzy line, that really is. You can still hear people around you talking, when you're in stage 1, and remember it in the morning. Heck, you can have a conversation (although you usually won't make any sense to the conscious people). And you can train yourself to lucid dream, and sleep paralysis is a thing. Consciousness is very much not a binary process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, now it seems there’s a new development. I haven’t had one of those “phantom wettings” in a while and recall clearly wetting. But…now, I wet almost immediately after waking. I’m perfectly aware of it, but it’s happening within a minute of waking in the morning. Three days in a row for that. Don’t know what it means. Maybe waiting and waking to wet is starting to get a bit hazy for my body?

I do that all the time. Wake up in the morning and immediately wet. Also do this after naps too. 

If I wake up and not wet, no urge, nothing, does that mean my bladder is empty, signifying I’ve wet whilst asleep?

For me it was definitely a slow, gradual recession of the degree of wakefulness needed to pee.

On 10/29/2023 at 10:46 PM, longislandguy said:

Four times this week, I’ve woken and wet but woken very early and just wet without checking to make sure the pads were in place and fell back into a quasi-slumber. That resulted in some wet sheets when I fully awoke. My question is this: I only have a very vague recollection of this happening. Before, I would clearly remember waking to adjust and wet. Now, I struggle to recall doing so. Is that progress? 

My experience was that ANY concern about leaking served to inhibit bedwetting.  You might consider amping up your protection so you don't NEED to adjust yourself in order to stay dry in bed?  I use absorbent terry-lined plastic pants over my night nappy to catch the (almost inevitable) leakage from disposables in bed.  I still notice that I'm MORE prone to bedwetting in cloth nappies (which are practically bullet-proof in bed).

On 11/5/2023 at 3:31 AM, longislandguy said:

Thanks!  Fortunately all the checking was done when I first started but now I’m confident enough to just let go. There will be the occasional side leak but mostly it’s fine. BTW, you’ve been quite the inspiration for me on this journey!

How is going, longislandguy?  I woke up this morning with an empty bladder and it’s hazy about waking up during the night.  I’m taking that as some progress for me!  

Well, last night was a first. I remember waking up during the night because I left the tv on so I shut it off. I woke in the morning and checked my diaper. I was slightly wet. I literally have no recollection of wetting when I shut off the tv but I must have.  That’s never happened before in nearly four months of 24/7. If I do wet at night, I always have at least a foggy recollection of doing so. I have absolutely no memory of consciously doing it last night. 

10 minutes ago, longislandguy said:

Well, last night was a first. I remember waking up during the night because I left the tv on so I shut it off. I woke in the morning and checked my diaper. I was slightly wet. I literally have no recollection of wetting when I shut off the tv but I must have.  That’s never happened before in nearly four months of 24/7. If I do wet at night, I always have at least a foggy recollection of doing so. I have absolutely no memory of consciously doing it last night. 

Go you!!!!  🙂

I had 2 very stressful days with Dr appointments and that means we had to do 150 miles driving , to go back and forth . Well I had some solid but mixed up sleep, but the good news was I soaked my very thick layer diaper, When I slept, that progress for me.

• Like 1
On 10/29/2023 at 6:46 AM, longislandguy said:

I put my starting journey out there over the summer and have been 24/7 since. Never wet the bed as a kid. Like, ever. Don’t even need to pee at night, I’d always just simply wait until morning if I felt the need before sleep (a habit I’ve tried to break). Since starting, I rarely, if very hydrated, would wake up, adjust my pads to ensure they’re underneath me, and wet. Most nights I sleep and just wet in the morning. Four times this week, I’ve woken and wet but woken very early and just wet without checking to make sure the pads were in place and fell back into a quasi-slumber. That resulted in some wet sheets when I fully awoke. My question is this: I only have a very vague recollection of this happening. Before, I would clearly remember waking to adjust and wet. Now, I struggle to recall doing so. Is that progress?  I still remember the waking, kind of…after thinking on it, but the memory fades pretty quickly. 

Yes, I'd call this progress. You are training your brain to just go at night when you need to.

On 11/4/2023 at 6:09 AM, longislandguy said:

Well, now it seems there’s a new development. I haven’t had one of those “phantom wettings” in a while and recall clearly wetting. But…now, I wet almost immediately after waking. I’m perfectly aware of it, but it’s happening within a minute of waking in the morning. Three days in a row for that. Don’t know what it means. Maybe waiting and waking to wet is starting to get a bit hazy for my body?

It's called progress! 😁

On 11/4/2023 at 11:24 PM, oznl said:

My experience was that ANY concern about leaking served to inhibit bedwetting.  You might consider amping up your protection so you don't NEED to adjust yourself in order to stay dry in bed?

I agree with @oznl here.

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, today was an interesting one.  I woke up in the morning and wet...but it wasn't a lot.  I basically always wet a full amount when I wake in the morning considering that I hydrate quite well before bed and usually have some watermelon.  Today was different.  Felt around...diaper is wet, but clearly more than I had just added.  I do quasi-remember waking up around 4, I think, but don't remember any wetting at all during that time...to be honest, I barely remember waking at that time, never mind wetting.  But, I clearly did, and clearly wet as evidenced by this morning.  I was surprised that my morning wet was so light, and would have never even thought I had woken if not for that.  An interesting thing for me...has to be progress.  I'd actually like to see what it's like at this point not to go to sleep padded just to see what happens.  I'm not worried about wet sheets, I'm not a bedwetter, but I'd love to see if there's any difference after these months of sleeping padded.  I just don't want to break my streak to test it out!  Well, that's all for now!

• Like 1

I not want to be a bedwetter in this moment of my experiences with incontinence, but it is always interesting for me to read from people to be on this path. But I read from others, that bedwetting is not a thing when they lay in a bed, it happens, when they sleep. 

That meens if you are sitting on your TV, and fell asleep, you will wet, where ever you are. It is OK if you always were a diaper! But in other case you will wet any place were you are when you fell asleep.

I think this is really acceptable, and I would accept this, if I want to be - and that ist what it seems what you perhaps want to be in the future - a sleep wetter! *love*

Perhaps I will go on this path in the future, too ...

Well, it’s safe to say my teacher bladder is no more. I wore regular underwear today with a guard instead of the diaper I’ve been rocking for months, just to see. I had to use the restroom 7 times during the day, plus there was the standard dripping in my guard. And each time wasn’t just a drop, but a decent voiding. A far cry from when I would go the entire day without using the restroom. 

• Like 4

Today is my first true struggle to remember waking to wet. I wasn’t even sure I did until I looked and saw that the lines on my diaper went from yellow to blue. I’ll have to really think to remember if I woke super early and wet or during the night. But I got nothing. 

• Like 3
On 10/29/2023 at 6:46 AM, longislandguy said:

This is excellent progress.  Exactly how my bed wetting habit evolved.  It’s a very slow process.  Once the habit has taken hold though, I’ve found it to be extremely difficult to break 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Today is the day!  I woke up, stretched, got ready for my morning wet, and…nothing. Hmm. Weird. I take off my pajamas and plastic pants, and see that my diaper lines are blue!  Not soaked by any means, but I definitely wet and slept through it!  Feels amazing!!  Hope it’s the first of more to come!!

• Like 5
4 hours ago, longislandguy said:

Today is the day!  I woke up, stretched, got ready for my morning wet, and…nothing. Hmm. Weird. I take off my pajamas and plastic pants, and see that my diaper lines are blue!  Not soaked by any means, but I definitely wet and slept through it!  Feels amazing!!  Hope it’s the first of more to come!!

Congrats!