LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Over The Top Leaks

Apologies if this isn't the right section of the forum. Just seemed the best place for advice given the nature of the question. 

I'm not a bedwetter, but I'm attempting a stint of 24/7 and have made a rule for myself to wet my diaper before getting out of bed. 

The problem I run into with this is that my diaper leaks from the top waistband.

Any advice for dealing with this particular brand of leak? I'm currently using Abena L4s at bedtime. 

I've tried folding the front of the diaper inward, but it doesn't really stay in place overnight. Different positions help but I am for doing it while laying on my stomach (my normal sleeping position).

I have a small supply of cloth diapers, though I need to stock up on plastic pants. 

6 hours ago, BabyStevie26 said:

I've tried folding the front of the diaper inward, but it doesn't really stay in place overnight. Different positions help but I am for doing it while laying on my stomach (my normal sleeping position).

The best way I have found to keep this is place is do the first tape, fold the front and then do the second. Also some sort of compression at night is nearly a must. 8+ hours of no adjusting and things are bound to move around and get loose

• Like 1

I’ve been 24/7 for coming up to 4.5 years and have consequentially (re)developed bedwetting.

My first piece of advice would be to forget about Abena L4 in bed at night.  Whilst they are comfortable and absorbent, I’ve found them to be hopelessly stretchy and thus extremely prone to nocturnal migration: they just aren’t on you where you left them by morning.   That's even before their tapes break.  Some firmly-fitting fixing pants (onesie, stocking) will help but with the Abena L4, you’re handicapped out of the gate.

My second piece of advice would be to make sure you are “pointing down” before diapering up.

Third piece of advice would be to cover your diaper with an absorbent-lined plastic pant (I use Babykins) as it seems almost any adult diaper will leak in bed occasionally but a lined plastic pant can generally deal with these minor leaks with no problem.

Cloth is the gold standard for in-bed wetting in my opinion.

• Like 2

I have a few clarifying questions.  Do you go the night without waking up to pee and then in the morning when you wake up, you let it all out at once in your diaper?  Personally at my age I wake up 3 to sometimes 5 or 6 times a night to get up and pee.  Perhaps if you are holding it all night and wake up with a full bladder, you are flooding your diaper hard and too fast.  I'm assuming when you say it leaks from the top waistband, you mean in the front, not the back.  If it's the front, make sure you are pointing down.  If it's the back waistband, chances are you are flooding your diaper way too fast and it can't absorb it that quickly.  It's also possible after a whole night of not peeing, you just have a huge bladder full that is more than the capacity of your Abena L4.  It just might not be able to hold that much, period.  If you wake up in the morning with a dry diaper and full bladder, try peeing as slow as you possibly can.  Let some out, hold it a few seconds, let a little more out, hold it again for a couple seconds and let out more.  The idea is to try and pee slowly to give your diaper time to absorb.  You may be peeing to much to fast and it just runs out the back or front of your diaper because it's just too much all at once for your diaper to absorb.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a tummy sleeper and this is quite a concern I also have. I noticed that inserting boosters helps keep the pee towards the back of my diaper. Also, ALWAYS point your weenis down before you tape up. I also found that sometimes powder can make you leak, so I apply it only to my skin as needed. I tape my bottom tapes on the tighter side and that seems to work well. Top tapes looser, bottom tighter. It kind of makes a barrier and then a pocket that the pee that does trickle up overnight just stays there so I don't leak on my tummy and bed. I hope this helps!

• Like 1

An Abena M4 (plastic) bed-wetter I position front of diaper a couple inches higher than back.  Then with front cover sheet folded back under top front and back are at the same level helping tapes hold all in place.  With the two additional inches of padding as well as folded under barrier front leaks are a rarity.

Lastly, with one of @oznl's lined plastic pants atop leaks are nay impossible.  Not only effective, this hybrid looks and feels like the magically exciting diapers of my youth.  Works for me!

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

In the front of many brands of diapers, the top edge of the diaper is an inch or so above the top or the absorbent pad inside the diaper. I fold the top edge of the diaper down inside toward, and if it reaches, over the top of the absorbent pad. Insuring that I am pointing down inside the diaper is also very important.