LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Looking for reusable daytime cloth recommendations

TL;DR: looking for suggestions for reusable diaper options for summer.

So, looks like I might have an interesting summer.  

A week or so ago my wife approached me with a suggestion. She and the kid will be spending July and August with her family on the other coast, and she, to my surprise, actually suggested that I should wear diapers all the time while they are gone.

My wife is a rather active environmentalist, in particular around single use plastics, and so my use of disposable diapers never really sat well with her. She is the reason I started using cloth diapers for my bed wetting many years ago.

This leads to a directive that if I do choose to do this, I will not be buying any more disposables. I can buy additional reusable supplies, but any disposables I use would have to be from existing stocks which, while not zero, isn't terribly huge. It will mean that I'll need to carefully think about where I use some of the fewer thinner disposables I have for social situations, and I'll probably need to figure out how to make cloth work in more situations if I'm going to try to abide by the 'rule'.

Also she has told me she will be hiding my normal underwear. While this is of course a problem solvable in a quick trip to a store, the intent to make me commit is clear. So I agreed to that. 

So, July 1st is the start of this. While I have a significant amount of cloth diapers for nighttime, primarily pre-folds, I'm going to need more daytime-friendly options. I'm putting together a list of additional supplies… more lighter weight diapers, covers, breathable plastic pants, and so on.

If anyone has suggestions for reusable products that work for daytime, I'd be very interested in hearing about them.

Use the ling below and try the places that are image=links

http://other.sandralyn.net/rppage.html#shop

Get a lot of cloth baby diapers if you can.  Check thrift stores, resale stores that have children's clothes and rummage sales.  Why?  One thick cloth adult diaper will take forever to dry when washed.  My DL friend (since passed away) always wore cloth and said layering the inside of a thinner adult cloth diaper does several things.  You can add the baby diapers in layers where you need them the most, you can add more or less baby diapers depending on how bulky you want to be or how discreet you need to be, you can adjust the absorbency based on how often you want to change, and drying all the thinner diapers including the baby diapers will be a lot faster.  One other advantage, especially if you have had kids, is if anyone ever discovers them (like a snoop you have coming over to feed the dog or water the plants when you are on vacation), it's easy to either explain or for them to think they are leftover from when your kids were young.  "Saving them for when my kids have kids" or "Saving them for when I have grand-kids".  They also make great rags for checking your oil or waxing your car.  Of course, all that will go out the window if you keep them in the closet along side your adult diapers!

Thanks for the replies Christine and Rusty!  I appreciate the suggestions.  I currently use cloth (generally multiple layers of pre-folds, pinned on) for my bed wetting, so I'm quite familiar with the ins and outs of thicker bedtime diapers.  The setup I currently use consists of multiple thinner pre-folds folded in a way that doesn't leak even with multiple heavy wettings at night and being a male side sleeper.  It is not, however, remotely subtle, or comfortable for daytime use.

I'm hoping to get some recommendations for some more daytime-friendly diapers.  I could of course just use a thinner single layer of prefold or such, but do people have success with other options, such as pocket diapers, or any of the many cover-and-a-stuffer options I see on Amazon?  Are they effective?  Discreet enough to wear around others without showing a clearly puffy diaper butt?

Edit to add:  in particular I'm looking for diaper-like products... That is, products that can be changed without having to take shoes off, pull up and down, etc.

5 hours ago, rusty pins said:

Get a lot of cloth baby diapers if you can.  Check thrift stores, resale stores that have children's clothes and rummage sales.  Why?  One thick cloth adult diaper will take forever to dry when washed.  My DL friend (since passed away) always wore cloth and said layering the inside of a thinner adult cloth diaper does several things.  You can add the baby diapers in layers where you need them the most, you can add more or less baby diapers depending on how bulky you want to be or how discreet you need to be, you can adjust the absorbency based on how often you want to change, and drying all the thinner diapers including the baby diapers will be a lot faster.  One other advantage, especially if you have had kids, is if anyone ever discovers them (like a snoop you have coming over to feed the dog or water the plants when you are on vacation), it's easy to either explain or for them to think they are leftover from when your kids were young.  "Saving them for when my kids have kids" or "Saving them for when I have grand-kids".  They also make great rags for checking your oil or waxing your car.  Of course, all that will go out the window if you keep them in the closet along side your adult diapers!

You are wrong about one thick adult cloth diaper taking for ever to dry.I dry 17 thick ones in a hot dryer and ALL are dry when they come out.

The pin-on diaper is the simplest form there is. You can use snap-on panties if you wish to change the panty with the diaper or just use pull-on's if you do not. Pocket'diapers require all kinds of folding and adkustments. Pin-on diapers can be adjusted to an exact fit. with snap-on or velcro diapers, you are restricted to how the fasteners are arranged, which is an approximate fit

I use a DIY that uses only one pin that was originally made for a bedwetter girl and pin in front. However, mine are made from thick diapers but I guess you could make them from Gerber pre-folds

I'm in cloth all the time, apart from when we go away and don't have access to a washing machine.  I wear cloth principally for environmental reasons.  Avoiding disposables altogether is impractical for me, and probably for you too, for the same reason.  So you'll have to work on softening up your other half's 'no more disposables' rule.

In my experience, pinned or Snappied cloth nappies aren't really practical for daytime wear if you're at all active.  They tend to fall down, and they're pretty bulky.  I find that pocketed nappy covers work better.  The ones fastened with poppers are less bulgy than the velcro ones, which often have a more noticeable front bulge.  You'll need a load of soakers to go in the nappies, and you're much safer in plastic pants as well, whatever the manufacturer claims about how waterproof the covers are.  I'm generally in velcro nappies in the winter months, under dungarees, and popper nappies in the summer, under cargo shorts.  Whatever you wear, they're more visible than disposables, so you need to choose your outer clothes with care.  Buy one of every type of cover you can find, and a couple of every soaker, and try them out until you find out what works best for you.  The same goes for plastic pants - I'm usually in Gary polyurethane pants, which cover well and are comfortable, but they are pretty noisy.  Breathable they are not, which I see as a big advantage.

I manage OK with two nappies a day, plus a pinned/Snappied terry nappy overnight.  Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

Personally, I use two of the 4 layer Purity diapers in the day and add a third layer at night.  So, its a matter of opinion on what works.  Yes I use a onsie / snap crotch t-shirt to help keep things in place.  And yes, I may have to adjust pins sometime during the day to tight up the fit once the cloth relaxes....

18 hours ago, waynecook52 said:

You are wrong about one thick adult cloth diaper taking for ever to dry.I dry 17 thick ones in a hot dryer and ALL are dry when they come out.

But for how many minutes is your dryer running?  I recently bought a snap on cloth diaper  https://www.myprotex.com/products/fitted-cloth-diaper-with-snaps?variant=43398736478378&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-03-15&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr_uJq73k_wIVDvHjBx3JngEmEAQYByABEgJ6CfD_BwE, washed it 3 times and it took over 2 hours and even then it still wasn't completely dry.  You have your experience with thick diapers, I have mine, as well as my friend Babylin (4 years passed)

The original cloth diapers were flats, Prefolds did not come out until 1951. That lead to the thickness arms race. Now, magnify that to adult diapers and guess what. What was done was, to extend the time between changes, two or three flats were laid atop each other and folded. Now 3 flats, which are singl-layer diapers, will dry faster than a 6x9 prefold, which is what you get if you fold and sew 3 flats into a prefold since all layers are exposed to the hot air whereas with a 6x9, the insidle layers are just that. Now, the 3 full BabyDoll diapers I used over the weekend did require two cycles. But each of those was 2 half Babdolls used as a double and they are each made of 4 thick DSQ twill baby diapers

4 hours ago, rusty pins said:

But for how many minutes is your dryer running?  I recently bought a snap on cloth diaper  https://www.myprotex.com/products/fitted-cloth-diaper-with-snaps?variant=43398736478378&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-03-15&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr_uJq73k_wIVDvHjBx3JngEmEAQYByABEgJ6CfD_BwE, washed it 3 times and it took over 2 hours and even then it still wasn't completely dry.  You have your experience with thick diapers, I have mine, as well as my friend Babylin (4 years passed)

62 minutes

Thanks Stroller an Zzyzx for your insight.  I'll look into getting a sampling of the snap/popper pocket diapers and see how that goes...

I realize cloth won't work everywhere, despite spousal expectations.  While I usually work from home I've got some important customer meetings where I'll take advantage of the fact that I'm not actually dependent on the diapers and wear a thin disposable pull-up or such... I wouldn't let underwear preferences get in the way of real life. 

Or, maybe I can make a 'training pant' work... Hmmm...

• Like 1

I've mostly converted to cloth over the last 5 or 6 years though I still use disposables when cloth isn't practical. I've been using the Kins 10500 diaper though it is now discontinued. It is a medium weight hourglass shaped diaper with 6 layers that holds about 820ml/28oz.

I can dry a load of 8 to 10 plus inserts in about 75 minutes using a 20 year old HE gas dryer. The last time I calculated the cost, it was about 60 cents a load.

Daytime diapers suggestion- try contoured diapers. They pin on, and will normally stay in place, and are not as bulky on the sides. Dry dry reasonably fast for me, in my electric dryer. It does help that my washed has a "max-extract" wringer cycle.

Make your own. A yard or so of appropriate fabric will be cheaper than anything you can buy. Plus you can choose plain white, or other colors, baby patterns, or whatever other type of you want. It only takes a few moments to sew the end seams.

The added advantage is that you can make them as thick or thin as you want/need.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, ValentinesStuff said:

Make your own. A yard or so of appropriate fabric will be cheaper than anything you can buy. Plus you can choose plain white, or other colors, baby patterns, or whatever other type of you want. It only takes a few moments to sew the end seams.

The added advantage is that you can make them as thick or thin as you want/need.

I myself don't, but it is good advice if you have the time.  Many years ago I used to be able to get diamond weave diaper cloth at the fabric store.  Anyway, with something inexpensive like this  https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIFERR-Portable-Sewing-Machine-Mini-Sewing-Machine-Handheld-Electric-Sewing-Machines-12-Stitches-for-Beginners-Kids/1320661502?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101246669&&adid=222222222271320661502_101246669_147379910869_18647938718&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=653777949060&wl4=pla-2010441255501&wl5=9017334&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=661105797&wl11=online&wl12=1320661502_101246669&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI05Cx67T8_wIVEntMCh2ciwIZEAQYASABEgKBo_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds  anyone should be able to make their own cloth diapers.  It even says beginner for kids, which applies to many here!  LOL!

https://www.joann.com/diaper-cloth-white/1682699.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIor-P1rX8_wIVTwKtBh1QWQDBEAQYASABEgIiAfD_BwE

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Sewing/Utility-Fabrics/PUL/White-Babyville-PUL-Fabric/p/53716?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIor-P1rX8_wIVTwKtBh1QWQDBEAQYBiABEgLU-fD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Wide-Birdseye-Diaper-Cloth-Yard/dp/B07FCNFNDL/ref=asc_df_B07FCNFNDL/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=416724502226&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17040810288342535130&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017334&hvtargid=pla-898882330745&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=96493614640&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=416724502226&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17040810288342535130&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017334&hvtargid=pla-898882330745

ACtually, the twill used to make some DSQ baby diapers feels very much like gauze

3 hours ago, Crinklz Kat said:

For cloth, I like the Babykins "10500" hook & loop (aka velcro) diaper.  It's not super thick (there is a thicker version "DPF"). 

https://babykins.com/collections/adult-cloth-diapers/products/kins-hook-and-loop-cotton-adult-cloth-diaper-10500

After awhile the veldcro loses its stickum. Pinned diapers are the best since they can be adjusted more exactly and they do not quite after awhile

3 hours ago, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

After awhile the velcro loses its stickum.

This is true.  Every few months I have to replace the velcro on 2 or 3 nappies.  It's not a big deal, as long as you can sew a bit.  Buy good quality velcro - there is some cheap stuff around that doesn't last well.  I don't think the actual Velcro company make it wide enough for most nappies (although you can double up of course).  I bought a load of good unbranded hook and loop a while back from myfabrics.co.uk.

6 hours ago, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

After awhile the veldcro loses its stickum. Pinned diapers are the best since they can be adjusted more exactly and they do not quite after awhile

It's funny but that brings up a memory from when I was about 5 years old.  I remember my mom had some thinner cloth diapers with velcro tapes and the better cloth diapers were a little thicker and had to be pinned on.  It was my job each evening to bring her a diaper so she could diaper me for bed.  This was in the living room and she already had the plastic pants and diaper pins.  Why she had those but I had to get the diaper I'll never know.  Anyway, I was always afraid of getting stuck by the diaper pins so I would bring her a diaper with the velcro tapes.  It didn't matter because she would pin them on anyway.  I remember arguing that "these diapers don't need pins", but she would pin them on anyway.

4 hours ago, Stroller said:

This is true.  Every few months I have to replace the velcro on 2 or 3 nappies.  It's not a big deal, as long as you can sew a bit.  Buy good quality velcro - there is some cheap stuff around that doesn't last well.  I don't think the actual Velcro company make it wide enough for most nappies (although you can double up of course).  I bought a load of good unbranded hook and loop a while back from myfabrics.co.uk.

Why put yourslef through the extra work and expense? Besides which, you are stuck with the stickum in the position where it is. With pins you can adjust the fit more exactly

• 2 weeks later...

So, a little update. 

I went out and got a number of the various options mentioned here... Ecoables, some various Amazon pocket diapers and covers, snap diapers... I spent quite a few $$ on options.

One thing that is clear to me is that wearing re-usables consistently during the day is much harder than just using them at night for bedwetting!  At night, bulk doesn't matter, and I'm only changing into the diaper, and then out of it.  Washing is not a big deal with a once-a-day diaper.

During daytime, a lot of the equation changes.  While I've occasionally worn cloth during the day, I don't think I've ever done so consistently for such a long time since I was first out of diapers.

First, comfort becomes a much bigger deal.  Sitting on a lumpy diaper on an office chair all day every day is not that comfortable, even though I'm working from home.  Using thinner diapers for comfort means more changes.  More changes means more wash. 

Second, discretion. I pretty much bailed on going out in reusables that I planned to use at all.  I haven't yet found any solution that I think is both discreet enough and actually usable for any reasonable length of time.  I ended up getting some various training pants and versions of 'washable adult incontinence underwear' that I could wear, but not really use except when I'm almost home and willing to accept a leak. 

Third, schedule.  With the night diaper, the 'on' and 'off' times are easy... bed time, and waking.  During daytime, the changes are based around variable external things, such as needing to run errands (necessitating a thinner diaper), or wanting to hop in the pool, or many other things.  Figuring out what I should be changing into, and when, is much more complicated.  At first I found myself changing out of a barely wet diaper because I needed to be wearing something else.  As time has gone on I eventually adjusted my schedule somewhat so that the changes fit more naturally and were more predictable.

So far, I find myself gravitating to usually using flat pinned diapers around the house.  I found that an 'Angel Wing' fold minimizes the uncomfortable lump on my butt, and I can adjust the absorbancy by adding a stuffer.  Wearing PUL pants over the top keeps things reasonably cool.  It's easy to wash and dry. 

We'll see how things go for the next two weeks, but boy, I definitely have a better understanding of what the folks who wear cloth 24/7 go through...

• Like 2