LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Travel and Diapers

My wife and I had to cancel a two week to Europe last year due to Covid. Our travel agent is hopeful that we can resume travel preparations for this year. We are hoping to see mostly Italy including the cities and the countryside. For those of you who have traveled for an extensive period of time in a foreign country and also stayed in areas that were not the major cities, what did you do to stay diapered? I am hoping to be diapered 24/7 or as much as I feasibly can.

thanks

• Like 1

You are allowed 1 Medical / bag with your carry on luggage by law at no charge, as long as it fits in a particular size with your air carrier recommendations. I took a laptop bag and stuffed it with diapers and rash cream. Worked perfect. 

• Like 1

That got me to thinking.  Has anyone ever done this or thought of doing it to fit more diapers into a suitcase when traveling?  Use one of those vacuum storage clothing bags.  Load it up with as many diapers as will fit, cloth or disposable, then suck out all the air and compress them.  i bet you could fit a lot of diapers in one suitcase doing it that way.  Of course, once you reach your destination you would have to open a bag at a time and fluff the diapers up as you use them.

https://www.amazon.com/Storage-Comforters-Clothes-Bedding-Included/dp/B07D5V72WZ/ref=asc_df_B07D5V72WZ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242028025825&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11314173865334353254&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017334&hvtargid=pla-486754630683&psc=1

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, rusty pins said:

That got me to thinking.  Has anyone ever done this or thought of doing it to fit more diapers into a suitcase when traveling?  Use one of those vacuum storage clothing bags.  Load it up with as many diapers as will fit, cloth or disposable, then suck out all the air and compress them.  i bet you could fit a lot of diapers in one suitcase doing it that way.  Of course, once you reach your destination you would have to open a bag at a time and fluff the diapers up as you use them.

https://www.amazon.com/Storage-Comforters-Clothes-Bedding-Included/dp/B07D5V72WZ/ref=asc_df_B07D5V72WZ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242028025825&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11314173865334353254&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9017334&hvtargid=pla-486754630683&psc=1

I don't think that would work very well, to be honest.  If the diapers would work the same that way as the way they are regularly packaged, I'd think the manufacturers would have at least made it possible to sell uniform sets, of say 30 in all sizes rather than have 34 small, 32 med, 30 large and 28 LL.  Either that, or they would have at least made it so the price is uniform so one pack costs the same regardless of the size, but neither is true.  I have also noticed, that one dry night, might allow me to wear the same one again the next night, but it doesn't hold as much when I reuse it.  I just don't think it will work the same, at least with disposables.  

Now, what you might try, is to pack lots of inserts instead, and get the kind that stick to the outer part, and then put them inside undies?  That might at least keep you from leaking if you wore two, one around the butt coming to the middle and then the second one coming from the front or pee area to overlap the back one.  I sometimes do this when I sleep because my probably has gotten so bad, I go like three times in one night sometimes, so a single pull up or even a full tape on, doesn't always stop it all by itself, but an insert that is made to catch 4 or 5 times, doubled up like that, often even keeps the outer diaper dry after use.  And it is much smaller and so you can naturally fit more in your suitcase.

I can see vacuum bags because as you suck out all the air, it really compresses the garments inside down to a much smaller size.  Freezer bags would hold some individual diapers but I don't see how they would be any smaller in space than just packing them in the suitcase as is.  It's the vacuuming the air out of the bag that makes more space.

I have a lot of Italy travel experience. The first thing to note is that you can find a pharmacy in small towns easily. Not so much in a village, but it's not hard to find a pharmacy in a town of a few thousand people.

The second thing is the pharmacy brand of diapers in Italy is Tena. The last time I was there, I was wanting some diapers, and a glance through pharmacy doors as I walked by on my way to other things showed them plainly visible (the pharmacies are not that big - you can see most of what they have from the sidewalk). Tena isn't a bad brand, but it's not Abena or Molicare either.

I guess the question is how many diaper you'll need to be 24/7 for two weeks. For my everyday wear and my habits, that's 3-4 diapers a day, which works out to 1-1.3 bags a week (Abena M2). The issue isn't getting diapers over to Europe if that's what you want to do. An extra suitcase or just a box isn't all expensive, certainly not if you're already shelling out for two weeks in Italy.

I think the bigger issue is when you get there, depending on what you're doing and how you're traveling, it can be a problem to have that extra luggage. That box or third suitcase will be a pain in the ass on trains, buses ,walking to hotels, etc. It wouldn't be an issue if you're renting a car, but assuming you're not renting a car, my two cents is either:

1. Buy the diapers you need and see what you can do to make them fit into three suitcases you can carry around easily. I'm thinking of something like one full-sized suitcase for each of you and one carry-on roller bag, but even if they're all 4-wheelers, that's a lot to manage on the move (you'll also need day bags). And 4-wheelers can be a pain in Italy; they don't roll so well on cobblestones, and even non-cobblestone surfaces don't tend to be new, shiny, and smooth.
  2. If you're hell bent on taking them all with you, consider a your regular suitcase plus a backpack suitcase like this one. Whether you pack your clothes or the diapers in the backpack, you're not trying to maneuver both suitcases by hand. The bag I linked to has a detachable daypack that can be you day bag/diaper bag/on-the-plane bag, so the fact that it secures to the backpack means you don't have one more thing in your hands since your back is occupied. That said, this is still bulky and a pain to maneuver while wearing if you've also got a roller bag and you're trying to make your way down a train aisle. And diapers are heavy.
  3. I think the best solution is to take the first 3-4 days' worth of diapers with you. Have the rest for that week sent to the first accommodation. The easiest way to do that would be to find a European medical supply website, buy them there, and have them shipped directly to the hotel or agriturismo (or wherever you're staying). Just let the accommodation know to expect the package (give them the tracking number if you can) and have them hold it for you. Just ask the accommodation what info they'll need to do that. Do the same thing for the second week of diapers, having them sent to whatever accommodation you'll be at then. Depending on how often you're moving around and by what mode of transit this can still be problematic, but you'll be using the diapers as you go, so it won't be as though you're trying to carry two weeks' worth the whole time.

A couple other considerations:

• You need disposal sacks. It's impolite to put your diapers into a hotel wastebasket. Be a pal and bag them up.
  • Take a bed pad. If you're wearing in bed, same idea: be a nice guy, and go that extra kilometer to keep accidents off the sheets.
  • You might want to be up front and ask for a waterproof mattress cover. Not all accommodations will have them, but if you get pee on the mattress, they will charge you for it.
  • Your day bag/diaper bag/plane bag needs to be packed like you really need diapers, which is to say: you need to take a change of pants with you on the plane. Probably not for walking around every day, but plane could be a problem. I say this from experience. Dark jeans and dim lighting are the only reason I wasn't mightily embarrassed despite wearing an M4 and changing twice. It helped that I was sitting in first class (yay frequent flyer points!) so there was no neighbor to notice.
  • You'd think on a long flight they'd empty the lavatory wastebasket, but nope, and I found a wet M4 wouldn't fit into the opening. I had to open the cabinet to throw it away, and toward the end of the flight, that wastebasket was full. Just is what it is.
  • I put my diapers for the plane into a nylon stuff sack that fit two diapers. That way, when I went to the lavatory to change, I could take that out of my bag and not take my whole bag in there.

• Like 1

You could pack your clothes into a large Duffel Bag,

And Pack your Diapers into a Roller Bag.

On your Way back home, you won't have as many diapers to bring with you,

and you should be able to pack the Duffel bag into your roller bag, along with your clothes.

So, you'd only have to check two bags on the way out, and one bag on the way home...

Shipping Diapers to your hotel is cheaper, but what if they're not there when you arrive?

It's worth it to just pay a little extra and check two bags.

Bring only diapers and maybe a change of clothes, then buy new clothes where you go

Just make sure to read covid travel instructions from your country 
The pandemic will go on this year too

I'm not sure vacuum packing is a good idea going through international customs... if they insist on opening the bag to inspect the items and make sure there's no contraband... then how do you reseal them? 

I concur with having the bulk of your supply shipped directly to your hotel(s) - though I'd be sure to arrange that in advance. 

I have to travel to Denmark early February for my daily job. Most likely we will stay there for one week, maybe a little over. Depending on the pandemic we will either travel by car, which will make it a nine hour drive or we will go by plane. Like always I will take a yet to determine amount of diapers along. There is no way I will stay away from my diapers for that long. My colleagues and I will stay in a hotel most likely in Copenhagen or in Farnum just like we did before. Used to travel quite a lot for my daily job but in recent years not so much. Never had any issues with customs or anything even close for that matter. Just act normal take along what you need or have it shipped to your hotel.

In 2019 I travelled to Norway and then on to Vietnam.   Because I was I was with a group, I didn't wear diapers all the time, but did wear Pull Ups all the time.   Most of the time  had my own room, and could sleep in a diaper and dispose of it in the trash can in the room.  I'm not afraid that the maid may find out, so no big deal.

I did wear on the plane, which I think is a necessity.  I like to sit at window and vege out on IFE, and diapers mean I don't have to get up.  On longer flights I make sure to get up at least once to stretch my legs, which also keeps the diaper from getting super wet.   I'm not at all concerned with customs.   I travel fairly light, and never been checked.  If so- no bigger, as far as they know it's a medical necessity.

I'm leery about security.   I tend to wear Pull Ups to the airport, and put a diaper in my carry-on.    On that trip I flew from Oakland to Paris to Oslo.  I had to rescan in Paris, and was a bit damp.  European scanners must be more sensitive to moisture, because I was flagged.   I quick scan, I think by a lady, and she probably realized I was diapered and waved me through.   Either way- not a big deal.

My next flight was Oslo to Doha and then Saigon.   I diapered up at the airport, and had to rescan in Doha.  There I was flagged, and the guy felt the padding and asked "What is this?"  I told him it was a diaper, and had to go into a private area where I had to drop my pants and frisked.  Funny thing is they barely touch my diaper.  There were convinced I wasn't a threat, and let me go on my way.   If I had to do it over again, I probably would have changed out of my first diaper- gone through the scan and re-diaper on the other side.  I've never been an exhibitionist, but there was something oddly exciting about this.     In reality it was mostly about the extra time, which how I feel anytime I get dinged by TSA.

I would say the biggest issue is packing and disposing of used diapers.   Diapers do take up space, and ideally you should be on your last diaper when you are heading home.  When I travel for fun, I typically head out in the morning and explore for a few hours- until later in the afternoon.  At which point both my phone and I need to recharge, so I head back to the hotel for a 2 to 3 hour rest.   I typically can change my diaper during that rest, so no need to carry them around town.   They stay in my main bag.

Hi! I’m italian. 
it’s quite easy to find diapers here, you can find’em in every big mart (not high end products), in smaller shops that sells housekeepings and beauty items (nearby cities there’s plenty of them). 
Also in pharmacy/chemist are available 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 9:11 AM, scaifester said:

My wife and I had to cancel a two week to Europe last year due to Covid. Our travel agent is hopeful that we can resume travel preparations for this year. We are hoping to see mostly Italy including the cities and the countryside. For those of you who have traveled for an extensive period of time in a foreign country and also stayed in areas that were not the major cities, what did you do to stay diapered? I am hoping to be diapered 24/7 or as much as I feasibly can.

thanks

We also had to cancel a trip to Spain last year. I planned to take our sports car so very little boot space. It was a multi stop trip so I had to work out where to get the nappies delivered on my route. It was either that or the wife could take five pairs of knickers and I had the rest of the boot for nappies!!!!  Sad we had to cancel, and we won’t be going this year either.