LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

American's Obesisties Size & Pampers

Okay, I'm not complaining, but is this just a money making scam or a business deal gone good. Did the pampers company size 7 make these babies diapers bigger, because children are becoming fatter, and being late to potty training? I'm just wondering if they really are going to make an 8, 9, and 10. And then assume people are going to wear depends, or something along those lines?

The only reason I say this, is America is consumed by Quantity over quality. So, if they make a bigger size of diapers to help there little one, then why not?

I know alot of AB's and DL's are excited that they came out, but for those who can't fit in them, what do you think of this problem?

I just wanted to know what people thought about that.

I know I have a lot of points, and nothing really goes togther, but I'm not really sure how to post this topic.

I doubt we'll see a size 8 or larger "baby" diaper. But I do predict that the increase in birthdefects, childhood dieseases and bedwetting will lead to "youth" diapers being the next step by the major companies, which will be more easily marketable even if they know late-trainers and obeese toddlers will use them.

As for thse waiting for a size 10, forget it. There comes a point where baby-style single-tape diapers aren't considered effective, and the natural course will be to direct those in the larger sizes to youth and adult products shaped for mature bodies.

Sounds like you are wearing a real diaper!

[quote 'DiaperBigBoy' date='May 12 2007,this is just a money making scam .

the diapers I'm wearing right now would fit a newborn, infant, toddler, bedwetter, child, teen and ....me.

it's all in the folding fit.

HAPPINESS IS WEARING COTTON DIAPERS

I just wanted to know what people thought about that.

It's absolutely a money making scam. The obesity issue that is affecting much of Europe as well as North America is clearly a very real issue. That said, I know I posted something about higher childhood obesity rates being a possible reason for releasing size 7s in the US and not in the UK but on reflection, I'm not so sure any more.

It's not about bigger babies needing bigger diapers. It's about money and profit, nothing more.

The big problem that the diaper companies have is that their consumers only used to use their products for 18 months to 2 years in most cases. While there's obviously an infinite conveyor belt of new consumers and while that's never going to change, all business are out there to strive to maximise profit for their owners/shareholders. There are two ways the a diaper company can increase sales (and therefore profit, in theory). First, they can try to create a scenario where there are more consumers (impossible) and second, they can try to convince their existing consumers that they 'need' the product for a longer period than the usual two year average.

Hence, over the last decade or so, all the diaper companies have spread out and released all manner of extra products to extend the consumer life cycle by as much as humanly possible. Pull-ups, 'special' wipes for toddlers (that we're obviously supposed to believe are somehow different to baby wipes because they cost twice as much), 'special' soap for washing hands afterwards, extra this, special that. I'm not sure whether I'd include large size Goodnites in that list or not but I would definitely include the smaller size. All these things are sold by the diaper companies, targeted squarely at kids who have just stopped using their primary products (diapers) because they can't bear to lose the customers so soon and will do anything to hang on to them for a while longer.

The way I see it, size 7 Pampers are just another attempt to introduce an extension into the process. If they make diapers for kids above the size 6 that's typically seen as the potty training graduation point, then eventually, society will begin to accept parents having their kids still in baby diapers and not having started potty training at higher ages (i.e. above 2.5yrs) whereas there's currently a bit of a stigma about having kids that age not starting potty training. If that happens, they remove the stigma, people become comfortable with the new norm and Pampers will have succeeded in squeezing yet another few precious months out of the consumer life cycle. If they do succeed in making a child in size-7 diapers acceptable, then they'll roll them out elsewhere too and all the other companies will follow suit.

At the end of the day, it's all about the bottom line and the dollar signs in corporate eyes...

It is simple...there are lots of children that need a size 7 baby diaper. It has little to do with obesity....it has all to do with handicapped children, betwetters, etc.

Companies make products for which there is a market to sell.....plain and simple. Would they make a Pampers size 8....probably not....older kids wouldn't want to have the name association with a "baby" diaper. That is why P&G made youth size Attends. The youth diapers aren't any bigger than baby diapers! See the following link if you don't believe this!

Diaper sizes

The tranquility youth diaper is actually smaller than a Pampers size 6!

Thus you see Bambino diapers.....Pampers size 20!

Okay, I'm not complaining, but is this just a money making scam or a business deal gone good. Did the pampers company size 7 make these babies diapers bigger, because children are becoming fatter, and being late to potty training? I'm just wondering if they really are going to make an 8, 9, and 10. And then assume people are going to wear depends, or something along those lines?

You'll reach a point at one time, when those babies can't get any bigger before they explode. Pampers will stop upping their sizes in good time before that happens.

I doubt we'll see a size 8 or larger "baby" diaper. But I do predict that the increase in birthdefects, childhood dieseases and bedwetting will lead to "youth" diapers being the next step by the major companies, which will be more easily marketable even if they know late-trainers and obeese toddlers will use them.

As for thse waiting for a size 10, forget it. There comes a point where baby-style single-tape diapers aren't considered effective, and the natural course will be to direct those in the larger sizes to youth and adult products shaped for mature bodies.

Not to mention that you will reach a state where kids simply will not wear baby nappies anymore. You may be able to convince them to wear some sort of sleep protection but nappies and especially for babies no way. Other manufacturers of adult nappies have a line of baby nappies that are totally separated from each other with different names different designs.

When you sell baby nappies, you sell to the parents who wants to be told, that they are taking good care of their baby, and that their baby is safe, and that they would say they loved this sort of treatment if they could speak. As they grow a little larger, the next step is to ensure parents that their little toddlers are not inhibited by the wearing of a nappy, but that it virtually is the basics of freedom. Later again individuality, the feeling of having an influence of the things and ofcourse daring the last step of being without, is paramount.

Actually you can say, that these steps that the manufacturers say is designed for the little ones to feel comfortable all the way, is just as much about comforting the parents, ensuring them that they do the right thing for their child in following the same brands various steps.

When the child grows a little more, the problem sometimes crosses to become something new - bedwetting. But at this point the kids are often very self aware, and wants as little fuzz as possible. What they want is discreteness, so they don't have to let any one know that they don't want to know, and so they don't have to have accidents happen at a wrong place or wrong time, and they love being able to take hand about it themselves so they don't get that feeling of being babied.

Selling nappies for adults is a whole different case, pee ple don't need to be told they're taking good care of themselves, they know. So what they focus on now is security, comfort and discreteness, the more certain pee ple are that a product will not tell that they have a problem,and the better it feels to use the product, the easier it gets to sell that product to them. And for what I know, pee ple don't want to have any associations to baby nappies, which is also why adult nappies often is reffered to, simply as an incontinent product (which could be a lot of other things than nappies)

Also about adult incontinence is the prblem that it's more the severity of the individuals problem that matters than the size of the individual. So now they may not need to produce a huge line of sizes (or weight steps) but instead a huge line of shapes and thicknesses so a 70kg person may be able to find a whole bunch of different products from the same manufacturer, each designed to their own level of incontinence rather than what stage of their personal development they are.

Haha I keep talking and all I wanted to say was no I don't believe in a size much larger than 7 pampers because I think you will get a hard time finding anyone who will care to use it...

It's not about bigger babies needing bigger diapers. It's about money and profit, nothing more.

The big problem that the diaper companies have is that their consumers only used to use their products for 18 months to 2 years in most cases. All business are out there to strive to maximise profit for their owners/shareholders.

Pull-ups, 'special' wipes for toddlers, large size Goodnites. All these things are sold by the diaper companies, targeted squarely at kids who have just stopped using their primary products (diapers) because they can't bear to lose the customers so soon and will do anything to hang on to them for a while longer.

Size 7 Pampers are just another attempt to introduce an extension into the process. If they make diapers for kids above the size 6 that's typically seen as the potty training graduation point, then eventually, society will begin to accept parents having their kids still in baby diapers and not having started potty training at higher ages.

If you build it, they will come! Yes, I agree that maximizing profits and beating out the compitition are the big things corporations worry about now days, not the customers. If they can keep parents changing diapers on their kids until the kids are 5, 6, 7 or older just to sell more and more diapers, they will do so just to increase profits! Forget that kids are not potty trained and are going to elementry school in diapers. At least P&G stock holders are getting richer!

Haha I keep talking and all I wanted to say was no I don't believe in a size much larger than 7 pampers because I think you will get a hard time finding anyone who will care to use it...

Maybe, but I would have said exactly the same thing a few years ago when they brought out size 6.

Size 8 doesn't seem very likely to me either (much less 9 or 10 or 11...) but at this point I wouldn't be particularly surprised to be wrong.

I don't think they'll get much larger, but even if they do, I doubt I'd want them. Pampers will probably never launch a diaper aimed at the AB/DL market for reasons covered in another thread on here. That means even a Pampers size 10 would be meant for babies, or rather large toddlers/small children. Those diapers won't be meant for use by an adult, and I doubt they would be absorbent and leak-proof enough to satisfy the AB community.

My solution? I think someone should develop a perfume or powder that smells like a Pampers diaper, so that you can sprinkle or spray it on your disposables, so they smell like Pampers. Maybe Bambino or Diaper Connection could launch a line of stickers featuring cartoon characters or the like that you find on children's diapers currently. That way, it would be much easier to make your own diapers that strongly resemble a Pampers, but hold up to adult use. I just can't think of a better approach, because I really doubt they'll get big enough, or will work well enough even if they do.

PS: I know that it still won't be the same, psychologically, as buying a box of Pampers and knowing they are for you (or having mommy pull out a box and put you in a diaper clearly meant for a baby), but some fantasies just can't become reality, sadly. This is true for nearly every fantasy, even vanilla ones, so at least we aren't getting a raw deal.

because we have growing obesity we have created a demand for a larger product... obviously pampers thought this would be a good market and have capitalized on that by making a larger baby style disposable diaper... just economics people we are a capitalistic country its all about $$$ here...

http://www.babybag.com/articles/htwt_av.htm - Here's a page that lists average weight and height by age.

Size 7 Pampers are for 41+lbs, which corresponds to an average five year old. I would guess that they could easily fit properly on an average 7-8 year old. But, as has been pointed out, that is getting out of the "baby" diaper phase, and into the "youth" diaper phase. At some point, there is not going to be a market for larger baby print diapers.

Personally, I would have been happy as a 9 or 10 year old if I had a Pamperslike disposable baby diaper to wear at night. Instead, all I had was a rubber sheet and the humiliation of having pee stained bedsheets drying on the clothesline for everyone to see each day. Sure, I'd have been wearing "baby diapers" but, no one would know I wet the bed unless I told them.

Personally, I would have been happy as a 9 or 10 year old if I had a Pamperslike disposable baby diaper to wear at night.

Maybe you would but I doubt alot of kids today would want to wear a baby diaper when there are goodnites and training pants available.

I did theorize on this vary subject in a different thread once before - but since this thread is specifically about larger diapers, I'll get more involved...

As far as marketing an even larger "baby diaper" I kind of doubt that, as even size 6 was pushing it, size 7 is probably about the absolute limit a diaper could be and still realistically call it a "baby diaper".

However, I can see possibly using the gradual, but definite increase in diaper sizes being a way to get back in to the market of diapers for people other than babies. Maybe even under the same brand name, and the same basic design - just modified a bit to better accommodate a larger body, and without the nursery print (most likely go with at least 2, if not 3 tapes on each side, since single tapes - while a great novelty for an AB, really don't work vary well in the area of preventing leaks on a larger body), and don't call them "baby diapers", call them really anything else but that! That is unless you are targeting only the AB community, but I highly doubt P&G (or any other baby diaper company) is interested in that. It's just not a large enough market for it to be worth there wild - not to mention the sigma that would be connected to them if the General public found out they were doing such a thing. (And it would be common knowledge pretty quickly.)

"If you build it, they will come! Yes, I agree that maximizing profits and beating out the compitition are the big things corporations worry about now days, not the customers. If they can keep parents changing diapers on their kids until the kids are 5, 6, 7 or older just to sell more and more diapers, they will do so just to increase profits! Forget that kids are not potty trained and are going to elementry school in diapers. At least P&G stock holders are getting richer!" - YES! I agree completely with this. It isn't about diapers, just as razor blades with 2, then 3, then 17 blades isn't about shaving...its about MARKETING. Devise a new product, create a new market, make more money.

Just wander through a grocery store...part of the reason stores have to get bigger and bigger is to fit the different types of products in. How many different types of bread can you buy? Give me a break!!

There is a secondary piece to this...as I believe has been pointed out in this thread...we have expanded adolescence and dependence on parents in this country far beyond what it used to be (whether that's good, bad or indifferent is perhaps subject of another thread). With that, we've extended the period of time in which its 'acceptable' or expected that children will wear diapers (see previous parenthetic comment!). I doubt this expansion of diaper use or adolescence can continue far beyond what we've seen now, but who knows. Years ago if you'd suggested the concept of pull-ups to a group of parents, they'd have scoffed. Now parents fear they'll be judged as terrible parents if they try to train their kids too soon (again no value judgment, just a comment).

diaperpt

I agree with Di.

Have you seen the statistics on childhood Autism? The rates are skyrocketing. Not only Autism, but there are even more children in the Autism Spectrum Disorder. This is where ADHD, Sensory Integration Disorders, etc. fit in. Childhood Autism is becoming an epidemic, try a websearch on it and you can see some facts that the medical/pharmacutical industries do not want to comment on.

I agree with Di.

Have you seen the statistics on childhood Autism? The rates are skyrocketing. Not only Autism, but there are even more children in the Autism Spectrum Disorder. This is where ADHD, Sensory Integration Disorders, etc. fit in. Childhood Autism is becoming an epidemic, try a websearch on it and you can see some facts that the medical/pharmacutical industries do not want to comment on.

Ok, I'll bite. With the greatest of respect, you are waaaay off the mark.

(1) What the heck has autism prevalence got to do with childhood obesity?

(2) There's no such thing as "Childhood Autism." Autistic children grow up into autistic adults. Some children are born autistic, grow up autistic. live autistic and die autistic. It's not a tragedy, it's not a disaster, it's not the end of the world, it's just the way it is. Furthermore, you cannot 'become' autistic at any point beyond the first few weeks of pregnancy, those first few cell divisions - you either are autistic, or you aren't. Mercury, thermisol, MMR and god knows how many other scare-stories claiming the cause of autism are groundless, scientifically proven time after time after time after time. It's genetics, genetics, genetics.

(3) ADHD, SID, dyslexia, etc. are not autistic spectrum disorders. The autistic spectrum is made up of autistic disorder, Asperger syndrome, PDD-NOS and the rare conditions: Rett's syndrome and childhood disintegrative disorder. My thoughts on the nature of the autistic spectrum as it stands can be seen in this post.

(4) Autism and related disorders are not, have never been and will never be an epidemic. Whilst undoubtedly diagnoses of ASDs are up dramatically over the past few decades, incidences of ASDs are not. Take me for example. My mother first raised the concept that I could be autistic during a child development checkup when I was 18 months old. It took until I was 22 years old to get a diagnosis down on paper because until fairly recently (mid-90s) the medical profession was entirely ignorant of the large majority of autistic people who have normal or above normal language skills and intelligence. That's my first complaint about the epidemic claims. My second is that you have no idea how it feels to be constantly referred to by people and in the media as an epidemic. An epidemic is a drain on society. A plague. A curse. Something to be eradicated with extreme prejudice. No person should ever be described in that way.

AutieAB

Any further discussion could possibly take place in this thread to avoid further hijacking this one.

(4) Autism and related disorders are not, have never been and will never be an epidemic. Whilst undoubtedly diagnoses of ASDs are up dramatically over the past few decades, incidences of ASDs are not. Take me for example. My mother first raised the concept that I could be autistic during a child development checkup when I was 18 months old. It took until I was 22 years old to get a diagnosis down on paper because until fairly recently (mid-90s) the medical profession was entirely ignorant of the large majority of autistic people who have normal or above normal language skills and intelligence. That's my first complaint about the epidemic claims. My second is that you have no idea how it feels to be constantly referred to by people and in the media as an epidemic. An epidemic is a drain on society. A plague. A curse. Something to be eradicated with extreme prejudice. No person should ever be described in that way.

AutieAB

Any further discussion could possibly take place in this thread to avoid further hijacking this one.

I understand what you mean by that. The term "epidemic" is usually tied to a disease that needs to be quarantined and eradicated, lest it destroy us all or wreck havoc with civilized society. Calling a non-communicable, well, disorder for lack of a better term an epidemic is just foolish. If autism is on the rise, it can be a cause for concern because of what that might mean about the gene pool, but it's not something to panic about.

Ok, I'll bite. With the greatest of respect, you are waaaay off the mark.

(1) What the heck has autism prevalence got to do with childhood obesity?

(2) There's no such thing as "Childhood Autism." Autistic children grow up into autistic adults. Some children are born autistic, grow up autistic. live autistic and die autistic. It's not a tragedy, it's not a disaster, it's not the end of the world, it's just the way it is. Furthermore, you cannot 'become' autistic at any point beyond the first few weeks of pregnancy, those first few cell divisions - you either are autistic, or you aren't. Mercury, thermisol, MMR and god knows how many other scare-stories claiming the cause of autism are groundless, scientifically proven time after time after time after time. It's genetics, genetics, genetics.

(3) ADHD, SID, dyslexia, etc. are not autistic spectrum disorders. The autistic spectrum is made up of autistic disorder, Asperger syndrome, PDD-NOS and the rare conditions: Rett's syndrome and childhood disintegrative disorder. My thoughts on the nature of the autistic spectrum as it stands can be seen in this post.

AutieAB

I do not think I am way off the mark, I just omitted much in the effort to save time.

1. In my opinion Pampers making a size 7 has nothing to do with childhood obesity. Even if this was a topic on a daytime TV show, I do not believe obesity is common in kids 4 years old and younger. If it is, could someone please point me to the research?

2. I agree there is no such thing as "Childhood Autism". You are or you are not, plain and simple. The term was used because if you do research on the subject, the term is used and will find plenty of research from various autism awareness groups out there. I disagree about the mercury, thimerisol, although it may not cause Autism, heavy metal poisioning of the body is not good. Add a new one to the list - DU Depleted Uranium. This heavy metal will be found in many bodies in years to come as it is used in bunker busting weapons.

3. I'll check it out. My son has SID and I was told it was in the ASD. I'll have to see how you classify it.

4. Sorry if the word epidemic struck a nerve. It was being used to relate to the number of diagnosis going up year after year.

I can relate personal experience here.

Pampers made a size 7 to fill a market need. There are more kids in this day and age that have special needs than ever before. My son grew out of Pampers size 6. He is potty trained since 3 years old but wakes up wet every morning. He just turned 5 last month. At about 4 years old. we had to switch to cloth because pampers size 6 no longer fit.

My son goes to special education Kindergarten. There is K4 and K5 then kindergarten.

When I went to school 30 years ago, there was no such thing as these special needs K4, K5 or generally termed pre-K. These classes did not exist period! There was kindergarten, then 1st grade.

Now same town 30 years later and my son is in a special pre-K class with 9 other students. There is another class of 10 students.

Compare this to our small town highschool that graduates 100 students a year. These special needs kids (VERY HIGH FUNCTIONING I may add) at 20 for the two classes represents 20% of our school system, maybe 12 to 15 depending on our dropout rate.

I look forward to chatting on your other board thread when I find time.