LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

What diapers did you use when you were a baby?

HighVoltage

Born in the early 90s to a frugal mother I would have had whatever nappies were on offer (definitely disposables according to my baby pictures)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder how many cloth babies actually remember the diapers that were put on them when they were babies or even toddlers. As a baby, I cannot say except that they had to be cloth. All I remember are the panties, and that only two of. At that time, probaby most diapers were homemade as that was easily within most mothers-to-be capability though there were commercially available diapers but there were no prefolds before 1951

As a little girl, I was put in what was there. Those had been made by the mother, who worked in one of the famous Fall River "dress shops" of the period. Since thise were for age 5 and up, she did use prefolds (when they came out in '51) as the basis. For a person over 5, a prefold would last about 1-1/2 wetting, even if they were adapted. She got an idea to put 3 of them together; that could go an afternoon, would fit from 5 to about 11 years of age, could be doubled up which meant through the night with time to spare and would need only one pin. It was also deliberatly not made thicker along the center so that wet could get away from that part of the body more quickly, which was good since urine is harsh. Over that were put two pari of panties, a "super baby" snap-on and a pull-on, either another ultra large baby or a child's rubber panty. Here is the description and pictures

And what it looks like in place

image.png

I well remember the diapers that were put on me, probably because I wore cloth diapers and plastic pants to bed every night until I was almost 6 years old.  The diapers were kept in the bottom drawer of an old blue baby style dresser in one of the downstairs rooms we used as a play room.  Every night my mom would have me go bring her a diaper.   I do remember some were thicker and some were thinner that had velcro tapes sewn on them.  They were factory made that way.  I always brought my mom the velcro tape diapers because I was afraid that she would stick me with the diaper pins.  She usually took them back for the other ones or told me to take it back and bring her one of the other diapers.  Truth be told, the ones without the velcro tapes were thicker but also a little bigger.  eventually as I got older (around age 5 or so), she used both diapers, the thinner smaller velcro tape diaper as an insert and the thicker bigger diaper pinned on with Gerber plastic pants to top everything off.

Not fair! I said "baby" and "toddler" :) Who would NOT remember what was put on her at age 5 or 6?

Previously in this conversation I shared that my family told me as a baby I wore pinned Curity 20x40 flat gauze diapers and Gerber vinyl pull-on panties. Past toilet training I needed just-in-case diapers which were the same, except as I grew the Gerber panties got bigger and the Curity diapers were folded differently.

Others have shared that they outgrew Gerber vinyl pants. Sadly hardly any stores sold the larger Gerber vinyl pants. My Mom, her mom and sisters all were urinary incontinent by age 20 or younger. Granny Vi ordered larger Gerber panties by mail from the factory located in Three Oaks, MI. In late June 1976 our Mom took my 2 younger sister, our younger brother and me to visit the Gerber factory in Three Oaks. They were sweet people. Years later Gerber decided to get out of the adult incontinence garment business. That was after Gerber had bought the Dundee and Curity cloth diaper businesses. Gerber virtually gave the Three Oaks factory to the employees who used the company name VIP. That closed because the employee-owners wanted to retire and their vinyl supplier no longer was willing to make the distinctive translucent 3 mil fabric.

My experience has been that KINS style 10300 pull-on pants are n improvement on classic Gerber panties. I wear those to this day.

I have several pair of Gerber baby panties that I use with my dollies. It is translucent and smooth on both sides. The Gerber I remember from the 70's and 80's were grainy and some were in colors. I wonder when the smooth material was used

From my memory kicking in during 1968 until I switched to wearing only disposables in August 1981 all the Gerber vinyl panties I knew were translucent, smooth on one side and grainy on the other side. Those were the only kind my family purchased. Of course Gerber could well have also sold vinyl panties in colors. From the start of my university in 1981 until I fell in love with my husband in 1991 I never thought about plastic panties.

My future husband had a supply of Rubber Duckie (coated like PUL) and ProHealth (boilable vinyl) panties. Both of those were made in several colors. By the time I tried the Rubber Duckies the waterproof coating was failing. I loved the ProHealth, but their warehouse burned in December 1991. They went out of business. I did then buy adult Gerbers, which were translucent, grainy on one side. In 1992 I met Crissy Penn, who designed revolutionary adult vinyl panties with forward-facing leg holes. Those were manufactured for her by Gary. When Crissy left the buisness in 1994 Gary bought the design rights. Soon after most adult waterproof panties began to use the Crissy design concepts. By 1996 KINS became my only vinyl panties vendor.

4 hours ago, Angela Bauer said:

From my memory kicking in during 1968 until I switched to wearing only disposables in August 1981 all the Gerber vinyl panties I knew were translucent, smooth on one side and grainy on the other side. Those were the only kind my family purchased. Of course Gerber could well have also sold vinyl panties in colors. From the start of my university in 1981 until I fell in love with my husband in 1991 I never thought about plastic panties.

My future husband had a supply of Rubber Duckie (coated like PUL) and ProHealth (boilable vinyl) panties. Both of those were made in several colors. By the time I tried the Rubber Duckies the waterproof coating was failing. I loved the ProHealth, but their warehouse burned in December 1991. They went out of business. I did then buy adult Gerbers, which were translucent, grainy on one side. In 1992 I met Crissy Penn, who designed revolutionary adult vinyl panties with forward-facing leg holes. Those were manufactured for her by Gary. When Crissy left the buisness in 1994 Gary bought the design rights. Soon after most adult waterproof panties began to use the Crissy design concepts. By 1996 KINS became my only vinyl panties vendor.

I have always seen the forward-facing legs for the past 30+ years which I never thought much of as it made the front part smaller than the back. It may explain the propensitya for modern diapers t leak. When I was little the idea was for rubber panties to be as blousey as possible to have room for up to triple diapers. The better early (late 1940's to mid 1950's) ones (baby, I did not see any adult sizes) actualyl had a VERY short leg, like the medieval/Renaissance types, which I guess is where "baby bloomers" came from. Now, to get good coverage like that I have to use panties with monstrously wide crotches and long side seams

40 minutes ago, Little Christine said:

I have always seen the forward-facing legs for the past 30+ years which I never thought much of as it made the front part smaller than the back. It may explain the propensitya for modern diapers t leak. When I was little the idea was for rubber panties to be as blousey as possible to have room for up to triple diapers. The better early (late 1940's to mid 1950's) ones (baby, I did not see any adult sizes) actualyl had a VERY short leg, like the medieval/Renaissance types, which I guess is where "baby bloomers" came from. Now, to get good coverage like that I have to use panties with monstrously wide crotches and long side seams

Some rubber pants of that era may have been blousy, but I recall Playtex rubber pants of the late forties / early fifties as just the opposite.  I remember them fitting tightly adhering to the contour of the diapers within.  And the aroma ... that was the best part!

If you remember "sneakeroma" from the commerical of aobut 28 years ago, can we talk about "rubberoma"?

8 hours ago, WBxx said:

Some rubber pants of that era may have been blousy, but I recall Playtex rubber pants of the late forties / early fifties as just the opposite.  I remember them fitting tightly adhering to the contour of the diapers within.  And the aroma ... that was the best part!

"Rubber panties" is the generic term for all waterproof panties in the real world, which is where I live

I have no idea why Playtex and some others would use very tignt-fitting panties that had to stretch over diapers. That just made them wear out faster. I guess it did help to keep them from falling down but that could have been done with proper waist and leg bands. Some baby panties of the 60's and 70's used simple rubber stips that were sewn in place at the waist and legs for waist and leg bands

• 2 weeks later...

Cloth and Plastic pants, my mom still has photo's of me in them, funny, I actually remember flashes of those days as I remember the cartoons I watched while wearing them (Yogi Bear, Secret Squirrel, Looney Tunes, Squiddly Diddly, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Mighty Mouse, Hillbilly Bears), of course many of these were re-runs when I was little (early to mid 70's), but those are what I remember, well those and TV Shows like JP Patches, Banana Splits (Where I saw most of the cartoons), Sesame Street

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2019 at 4:27 PM, dlinmsp said:

I was a baby of the early '50s.  I would guess Curitys and I don't know what brand of plastic pants.

Here is pretty much what there was. Use the "Try Me" link and click the picture link to go to the page which shows the year and larger picture http://other.sandralyn.net/rphof.html

As a baby, I had both kinds used on me. I remember, from around my 3rd birthday in late 1948, a peach panty and a semi-transparent sort of light ecru colored one. I do not remember what kind of diaper was used. Whe I was little there were both kinds, which I had put on me as a "little girl" at a few famiies' houses, during the day until I was 8 and at night until that family moved away when I was about 9-1/2. When I was 9, door was 5 and still in diapers. She too had both kinds but the rubber ones were almost exactly a scaled-down version of what babykins sells today. In fact, I understand that childrens rubber panties were sold into the 1970's or 80's. That is why 3 generations call them all "rubber panties"

On 2/20/2019 at 9:51 PM, HighVoltage said:

Man, we've got a lot of old guys here.

Wel,l, yes; we had more interesting things. Compare a 1954 diapering with one of the throw-aways and see which was more interesting

I do not think we would remember the diaper. I think we remember the panties more for some reason

I really do not know how happy Mommy is in the long run that you are potty trained. When you were in diapers, you were very dependent on her in a very intimate way: VERY intimate, cosidering she was puling something between your legs so you KNOW who rules here. Imagine being 6 years old and laying on your bed. Mommy comes in with a diaper and rubber panties and sits on the edge at the foot of the bed ans says "A curity diaper; two of these can hold almost a quart of wet. Empire rubber panties will cover them well so nothing will get out, and a full size rubber sheet just to be certain. A person's gotta know her limitations. AsK yourself 'do I feel lucky?;' Well do you? Go ahead BABY wet that bed. Make my day! -- Please"

• 7 months later...

I was in cloth diapers.

Interestingly I have a picture of a cousin circa 1970 in a disposable diaper closed with pins. My Aunt's rural farmhouse lacked running water, there is a pump in the background of the picture.

I've also seen pics of my eldest brother in cloth diapers and no covering rubber pants.