LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Attends Is Being Sold

Back in the day, I used Attends over Depends, because well.... UGH!!!! Depends SUCK. Sorry, but they just well.... effin' SUCK. I was not happy when Depends products took over. I stocked up on Attends while I could. I always liked Attends quality over Depends. Depends just.... SHUDDER. UGH!!!! They never fit a guy of my height good, and I hate the fact they leak like a bitch after one or two wettings.

Hopefully quality will matter. For the record, I haven't bought Depends since at least '06? I think...

BabyChris121675

Yvhuce, I haven't seen them in stores in the United States in over 15 years.

I used to wear Attends, even back in 2004-2005 when I was wearing them, I found them to be excellent. They fit me perfectly and I wore them to college fairly regularly. When I moved, I didn't get to get any for about 4 or 5 years, and in that time, they went from perfect for me to an awful product that I couldn't stand anymore.

I agree that they can't get worse, so hopefully this sale is a good thing and we will see an improvement in their quality.

Before bambinos came along, I tried a couple versions of Attends back a few years ago, and they were definitely more enjoyable than Depend (I hope to never use them again!), and I hope for the sake of any Ab/Dl who uses Attends that the quality remains as good if not better once the new group takes over production.

the Shopko stores in Green Bay sold attends, wearing one right now actually, but they got clearanced out a few months ago.

back when Attends were still made my P&G they were a good product and alot better then Depends.

but some time time in the 1990's P&G sold off it's Attends line and they disappeared from store shelves.

since then Attends have been reincarnated several times in name but they never measured up to the orignal P&G Attends.

hopefully the new owners will help bring Attends back to it's former glory.

Couldn't get much worse... maybe they will try making a premium product

Agreed. They don't have far to fall if they get any worse.

Hopefully the new owner will do a little market research, and take pride in their products.

When P&G sold out to paperpak, they disappeared from the stores. Attends were the first of the multitape variety that hit the market to my knowledge. Before that the ambeze and medalists and other single tape variety which were very similar is 60's era pampers.

• Like 1

When P&G sold out to paperpak, they disappeared from the stores. Attends were the first of the multitape variety that hit the market to my knowledge. Before that the ambeze and medalists and other single tape variety which were very similar is 60's era pampers.

Before I comment on the Attends, Paper Pak and Pampers issues, please believe me I have all due respect to others contributing to this discussion. I am only quoting so that I make myself clear. Although I was born in 1964, just before Pampers were sold all over the USA, I never wore a disposable back then. My Mom and most of our extended family was very much anti-disposable.

Therefore it was a memorable event, while returning from a 1972 Fourth of July vacation, that Mom asked Dad to pull off the highway so she could buy a box of Pampers from a supermarket in Clovis, a few miles north of Fresno, CA. My younger brother, me and my 3 sisters all were wearing "just in case" pinned gauze diapers and Gerber vinyl panties. Unfortunately our youngest sister (Missy who was not yet 3) had runny poop. Mom was running out of Curity gauze diapers.

Perhaps Clovis had not received the up-dated Pampers. Mom discovered that the Pampers she bought did not have attached sticky tapes. After a few frustrating and messy minutes Mom used a pair of diaper pins to hold the Pamper in place. When we got home I was with her in our local supermarket where rolls of special "diaper" tape were stocked with the disposable diapers. As far as I could tell in 1972 (when I was 8) there were no adult diapers. Also the largest Pampers or other infant disposables were too small for me then and I have always been smaller than average. Pampers did start advertising their sticky tapes (one per side) during the summer of 1972. Late that fall I saw the Pampers boxes then mentioned the sticky tapes. Rival brands of baby disposables did not have sticky tapes until mid 1973.

Thus it is not correct to say any adult disposable with a single or multi tapes per side is similar to a 1960's era baby disposable.

I turned 17 in July 1981 and I had been accepted to a university that fall. Knowing that my dorm building did not have coin washing machines, after talking to the nurse at our urologist, Mom and I agreed that I would need to learn to sleep in and change disposables. That urology nurse recommended Attends, but it is possible less well-distributed brands were being sold. Our local super market stocked Attends in sizes medium and large. In those days Attends still made Small, Youth and Junior (which was about the size of a modern Size 7). Small fit well at 100 to 125 pounds. Youth from 80 to 100 pounds. I am still short and then weighed 101 pounds, but I found I was a better fit in Small. In Los Angeles County those were only stocked in medical stores. However, the general store at my Upstate New York university stocked all sizes of Attends from Junior to Extra Large. In 1981 Small, Junior and Medium all had 2 tapes per side. I never saw the other sizes out of the box. Maybe the bigger size had 3 tapers per side and maybe the Junior only had one tape like baby disposables of that era.

Clearly P&G stopped pushing the Attends brand in the USA long before they sold that brand to Paper Pak Corp, now Attends Healthcare Products. At the time of the sale paper Pak was the leading manufacturer of disposable incontinence products to the nursing home and hospital industry. Paper Pak had no experience selling through retail stores.

Because Attends were seldom stocked in convenient retail stores long before Paper Pak bought the brand and North Carolina factory, I assumes that P&G had their own reasons to abandon that market segment to the Depend brand of KCWW. At least by then there were some mail-order firms in the business of shipping Attends to end users, such as myself. From 1985 to 1988, when I lived at law school near Boston, the local pharmacy stocked Attends Small. I never saw any Depend smaller than Medium, too large to fit me decently.

Before I moved from law school to Atlanta the summer of 1988 I spoke to my Attends representative who put me in contact with a mail order firm. For several years Care Givers Partners has been my on-line Attends supplier. In classic poly-plastic disposables what were called Attends Small are now called Attends Youth. They are the same size as in 1981 and even have the same product code. However, in the Attends Breathable, the identical size is called Small. Breathable are cloth-like with H&L tabs.

Going back to my discovering the world of ABDL in late 1990, I always was under the impression Attends wanted nothing to do with this scene. I wear disposables only because I am urinary incontinent. For me only pinned gauze diapers put me in my relaxed AB mood. I have no interest in wearing any individual diaper longer than 5 hours except when sleeping. Therefore I I do not spend extra money for capacity beyond Attends Youth or Breathable. Each of those will give me 5 hours capacity under heavy wetting and a whole night when I am sleeping.

I wear Youth in bed because they leak less, but I only wear those when in a hotel or when I am sick enough my poop is runny. When healthy and awake if a slip-in pad does not have enough capacity I wear Breathable Small.

I do not now, nor have I ever, held stock in Paper Pak Corp or Attends Healthcare Products. I did then and still own stock in both P&G and KCWW.

Since 1981 I have been in frequent contact with Attends customer service people, as well as marketing folks. They say they think the sale to the larger company based in Canada will only make the North American Attends products better. The proposed buyer has a paper pulp plant very close to the main North Carolina Attends plant. Even with SAP, paper fluff is an important component of disposable diapers.

• Like 1

I was talking purely about the "physical appearance." I.e., roughy the same as a prefolded rectangular cloth diaper with tapes. Being about the same age (I am guessing) as Angela, I remember when even the early two tape adult diapers hit the market (roughly the latter part of the 70's). Even then, the medalists had "supersorb" in them which was a whole lot better than the 60's pampers. Of course by the time these hit the market, the baby diapers had progressed into the form fitting one (anybody remember the ads for "baby shaped" kimbies?).

Even while PG till owed them, they change the cut on the the things (they got narrower at the skinniest part). While I guess this helped reduce the bulk for some people, it tended to make them leak poop. When the company was sold, PaperPak decided to concentrate on selling through the medical supply channels rather than drugstore retail. This pretty much left Depends (still a hideous institutional green at that time) and an occasional outlyer like dry comfort (which were about the crinkliest things I ever recall).

I used to live near the Whitestone Products plant (which made Ambeze which was about my favorite of the old-style diapers) which also made adult and baby diapers. I popped into the factory outlet a couple of times, but they only ever had baby diapers there.

I have nothing to add, and am only fascinated by the history delineated by Angela and Will.

My only recollection of Attends briefs was in the mid-80's, when my aunt forced my younger cousin (who had what would be diagnosed these days as oppositional-defiant disorder, and used to defecate in his underwear to spite her) to wear them in response to his behavior.

attends were a great diaper back in the 1980's when they were still made by P&G

but after they were sold to paper pak and later attends health care they went down hill.

now they suck as bad or worse then Depends.

hopefully the new owners can make attends a great diaper again.

:smiley-baby-boy:

I must be Angela's twin except a guy.

Although I have not been incontinent as long a period of time. I am 5'4 and 118 pounds at the doctor last Thursday I was 128 with wallet,keys, change, phone, meds in hand and diaper bag.

I was going to put the bag down so the beg and stuff would not add weight. But she saw that I was 128 with it she just took away 6-8 pounds. Anyway at 118 steping on the scale right out the shower and my hight I wear Attends with waist band and Small Attends Breathable {blue in color}

They work very well for me and that's all I use.

I did get a case that had to much SAP and were like major grit on them all over them.

• 2 months later...

i used attends for many years till they changed to the cheap version right after paper pak sold out to later owners.

i always liked was that they fit me perfect and being wider where needed i could put more stuffers in them.

Now there is nothing really good all that is left has one problem or another.

If i had a few million dollars i could grab a large share of the market with no problem.

I am kind of surprised that bambino or securecare didn't try to buy up this brand and it's facilities....

I hope who ever SIS buy the brand gets their sh*t together (so to speak) and makes something decent of this.

Personally, I have tried attends and never liked them :P They leaked like a sieve and didn't fit right, so I stayed with what I was using, Depends over nights. This was back through the '90's when they had both types and in white.

Granted they didn't hold much, and I could wipe one out in one flood :blush: but they were white, had GREAT leak guards and waistband and generally 'looked' ok. The last Attends I tried leaked after one use, and seemed to hold less then the depends I was used to, so I gave up on those and haven't looked back. Thankfully Bambino and Secure personalcare produce awesome products that are fairly readily available :thumbsup:

products being available in stores hasn't been an issue for me, since I prefer to order on-line instead. I'm not an incon, so what I do order lasts me a good long time and I supplement my 'stash" with cloth diapers so I don't order that much really, unless I get into Binge mode.....(which doesn't happen that much anymore :blush:) or if someone comes out with a new product that I would like to try. But thats about it.

Attends..MEH.. tried them and was never really impressed, but like I said, I'm kind of surprised that Bambino or secure didn't buy the brand and facilities....*shrug* oh well...we'll see what happens with the new owner and if they know what they are doing.

I think its the perception of quality that I recall the most. The older version of Attends 'seemed' to perform quite well but I didn't have anything to really compare it to. However I do know the newest version IMO os nowhere near as good as the previous versions.

Compared to a diaper such as dry 24/7 or Bambinos, Attends just doesn't stack up.....

I'd be curious to see if the new owners try to bring the brand up to premium diaper standards though...