LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Guess It'S Becoming Taboo To Say "Brief" Now Too

So I just happened to visit the Depends website. Noticed that their line-up of products no longer uses the term "briefs" any more. Not even for the plastic diaper with six tape tabs. It's now under the category of "Tear-off". They have 4 different products for Men. "Underwear Style", "Guard", "Adjustable", and "Tear-off". The "Underwear Style" are the regular pull on briefs with elastic all around. "Guards" go in your own underwear, and the "Adjustable" is basically the "Underwear Style" but with velcro tabs on the sides to adjust. As mentioned, the "Tear-offs" are the plastic backed diapers.

They not only do the not use the word "briefs" for the diaper style one any more but you can't find them even saying "protective underwear" or "undergarment" anywhere either. Gee, they sure have cut out about every word that could be moderately talking about incontinence at all. You find a word here or there like "leakage", "protection" and "absorbant" but it's hard to even find the word "incontinence" or "bladder control" when researching their products.

I don't know but, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. I think it's crazy that these companies, like Depend, are making wearing diapers (OMG, I said it!!) out to be just like your run of the mill, package of Hanes underwear. I guess it's all about the marketing and making it as discrete as possible and appealing to the customer by not saying those "taboo" words. Just sad people can't get passed the whole stigma around it. At the end of the day, call it what you want, it's a diaper to me and I'm pretty sure the one wearing it knows it's a diaper too. I've noticed KC has done it with their Goodnites line too. Making them out to be as though it's just underwear. I mean, come on. Camo it all you want...it's still a diaper and any kid that sees that is going to know that it's a diaper and not just regular real underwear or boxers.

Makes me wonder where the marketing will go next. Are we going to see Depend underwear next the Hanes and Fruit of the Loom underwear in the clothing section in department store? Sheeesh, I tell ya!

I don't know but, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. I think it's crazy that these companies, like Depend, are making wearing diapers (OMG, I said it!!) out to be just like your run of the mill, package of Hanes underwear.

QWACK! :P

Anyways, yeah...it is designed to ABSORB Pee and or HOLD a poopy accident and keep your clothes DRY it's a

D*I*A*P*E*R!

there I said it, so take the elephant out of the room.... :P

*give me a DIAPER*

*That is a Diaper*

*I wear DIAPERS*

*I need another DIAPER*

*please, hand me that bag of DIAPERS*

*Can you tell me where the adult DIAPERS are?*

I'd like to order some DIAPERS*

etc....

there...get over it (to the general public and major manufacturers*

knock off with the PC stuff, these items are DIAPERS and they are for people who have to deal with INCONTINANCE or for those of us who L*O*V*E WEARING THEM! :P

maybe they should just call them "potty pants" or "potty holders" instead :roflmao:

I mean come on....Christ on roller blades....:rolleyes:

you don't hear people whispering about WHEELCHAIRS or CRUTCHES or ARTIFICIAL LIMBS for people who are HANDYCAPPED

nor do you hear ladies 'quietly mention' their need for a new supply of their 'sanitary protection'

THEY

ARE

D*I*A*P*E*R*S

give me a "D"

give me a "I"

give me a "A"

give me a "P"

give me a "E"

give me a "R"

give me a "S"

GAH! :P

• Like 2

My non-tape on single-wear outer-clothing liners are DIAPERS Those who have a problem with that need to get over it :P Once again marketing proves what it is in trying to get you to believe that something is not what it really is just so they can sell more of them :angry: You cannot sell a sane intelligent person cheap chicken by calling it "Duck" :oWe know the difference, and we know what ducks are, and we know the value of a duck (especially square ones) is well worth it :wub: while cheap chickens aren't worth the breath expended in saying the words :( Diapers by any other name are just pee, see? :lol: When marketing Depends on telling lies, I say crap on it :roflmao:

Bettypooh (escaping before the groans over my poor punnery are heard :biker_h4h: )

• Like 1

Waiting on the first lawsuit to be filed.. Tried to wash a load of depend underwear and they destroyed the washer. The packaging does not say anywhere not to wash, and they ARE advertised as underwear.

• Like 1

The market is no longer aimed at incontinence. It's totally aimed towards people who leak a little urine when they laugh too hard, excersize, sneeze, etc. Not a full wetting but just a little leakage once in a while, enough to get their panties and dress slacks wet. In order to get people to wear their product on a regular daily basis, they have to make them look and sound nothing like "diapers" and everything like regular underpants! Todays manufacturers of disposable absorbent products would like 100% of the people out there to be wearing them instead of regular underpants if they could get away with doing it! Even hinting that their current products are anything like "diapers" would hurt the image they have created with the general public as far as their disposable underwear are concerned.

It's interesting that only manufacturers call them "Briefs" or the latest, "Tear Off". I've had relatives in nursing homes, one with alzheimers and the care givers even referred to them as "diapers". In reading posts here in the forum, people who have been in the hospital have said the nurses refer to their diapers as either "diapers" or "Pampers", not disposable briefs. We all know what they are, diapers or products that are used for the same reason someone would need to wear a diaper. They aren't fooling anyone, it's simply that in order to sell any of their products to the general adult population for everyday use, they can't call them what they really are (diapers), even the actual fold open tape on diapers! They have to refer to them as something people already use on a daily basis, therefore the term "Briefs", "Tape-On's" or "Disposable Underpants". They (manufacturers and marketing people) feel that even people who are incontinent and need diapers won't want to hear of them being referred to as "their diapers".

By the way, I think that same mentality is why most actual disposable diapers have gone down hill so much over the past several years. Not the good brands like Molicare, Bambinos and Abena's, but the brands you see in regular stores. Manufacturers think incontinent people want thin and discreet products. I'm not incontinent but so many times I want to scream at these companies who have gone with cloth like backing, removed the side filling and have cut back on the absorbent material! I just want to say to them, "Don't you get it? We people with incontinence couldn't care less about thin and discreet! Most people who know us already know we have this problem! I don't care if my brief or diaper is bulky and russeles when I walk! I'd rather look bulky and be dry than have my diaper leak! How discreet is it anyway when your product leaks and I end up having wet pants? Can't you people get that through your heads? Save thin and discreet for your disposable underwear but leave your tape on disposable diapers alone so that they will do the job that we need them to do for us!"

Anyways, yeah...it is designed to ABSORB Pee and or HOLD a poopy accident and keep your clothes DRY it's a

D*I*A*P*E*R!

*give me a DIAPER*

*That is a Diaper*

*I wear DIAPERS*

*I need another DIAPER*

etc....

knock off with the PC stuff, these items are DIAPERS and they are for people who have to deal with INCONTINANCE or for those of us who L*O*V*E WEARING THEM! :P

maybe they should just call them "potty pants" or "potty holders" instead :roflmao:

you don't hear people whispering about WHEELCHAIRS or CRUTCHES or ARTIFICIAL LIMBS for people who are HANDYCAPPED

nor do you hear ladies 'quietly mention' their need for a new supply of their 'sanitary protection'

THEY

ARE

D*I*A*P*E*R*S

give me a "D"

give me a "I"

give me a "A"

give me a "P"

give me a "E"

give me a "R"

give me a "S"

Then I can put you in the "undecided" category? :giggle:

Waiting on the first lawsuit to be filed.. Tried to wash a load of depend underwear and they destroyed the washer. The packaging does not say anywhere not to wash, and they ARE advertised as underwear.

:roflmao: Yeah, no kidding right?

Anyway, thinking about it a little more now, in a round about way by calling diapers by any other name than what they actually are, this practice itself is somewhat making it sound shameful, wrong and otherwise to wear an absorbent product. It would be like coming up with a nicer word for Cancer so the patient wouldn't feel so bad for having it. "Oh, I have (new name for cancer, but i.e.cancer), well that's not so bad then, at least my family and friends and myself won't be too scared then." Just sad people are essentially having to hide and hush, hush anything about even mild incontinence. What next, a new name for feminine products like tampons and pads?

On another note, I've had family and friends work in nursing homes and hospitals. It IS taboo to use the "D" word. All that I know have been told to use the term "pads" instead. "We're here to change your pad", "I'll get a Large pad" etc. They don't want to upset the patient by calling them diapers or even briefs. Oddly enough though, many nursing home resident, as they're called, wear pull on underwear or the similar. If they are bowel incontinent then they wear the bigger "pad"(tape diaper) or at night many do. Surprised me but when you think about it, it's not like they're slammin' 64oz big gulps either so little intake, little output, little absorbency needs.

This politically correct BS drives me sometimes how we have to be a softer, gentler, generation of what we say, like we have to tip toe around the real word for something. Recently even, Mentally Retarded got a name change to "intellectually disabled". If someone comes up to me and tells me their child is "intellectually disabled", I'm going to say, "oh, what is that". Their response would probably be "mentally challenge" or "retarded" in which, then, I'd understand the condition soooooooooo WHY NOT CALL IT WHAT IT IS THEN!!!

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." - William Shakespeare

or

"A name by any other name is still a name." - d_drew12 (2011) :)

Funny you should mention "retardation", Drew. The professionals still call it "mental retardation" in their notes and dictations on the matter. It's still listed as "mental retardation" in every diagnostic manual that comments on the subject. It's only the fuckin' retards (decidedly different than a person with "mental retardation", mind you) on the street who wring their hands and say "we cannot put labels on people if those labels create a social stigma!"

On a side note, one of my favorite stick-poking phrases is "vertically challenged" in reference to my short friends. One of the cashiers at my local Food Lion is like 4'9" and I give her no end of playful ribbing about the matter every time we wind up in her checkout line.

I actually don't think dropping the word "brief" is that bad, but then again, I could never understand why "brief" was used to describe a tape on diaper/diaper-like product. If anything, "brief" would be a better term for a pull on diaper in my eyes, because when I think of "briefs" I think of traditional underwear, as in "boxers or briefs." "Tear-off" actually makes more sense, although I think "tape-on" would be a more consistent/accurate term to describe a diaper that isn't "pull-on."

Also of note: Kimberly-Clark has never used the term "diaper" on any of their GoodNites or Depend branded products. GoodNites were referred to as "Underpants" (occasionally with the words "Disposable absorbent" preceding the term,) up through 2009. In 2010, Kimberly-Clark changed the term to "Underwear" when they introduced the most recent revision of the product line. The boxers/sleep shorts were referred to as such, and again lacked the use of the word diaper. Depend similarly has avoided the use of the word "diaper," sticking to terms like "brief" and "guard" instead. Is this stupid? For "brief/tear-off" products, yes. For pull-on diapers, a little less so. Training pants like Huggies Pull-Ups are aptly labeled "disposable training pants," rather then "training diapers," which makes a bit of sense. I don't see a problem with referring to GoodNites or Depend brand products as "absorbent underwear," but skirting around that term as well is just as stupid as ignoring the term "diaper" for "brief/tear-off" products. P&G is just as bad as KCWW though: they refer to UnderJams as "Absorbent Nightwear," as if both the term "diaper" and "underwear" are to be avoided.

Funny you should mention "retardation", Drew. The professionals still call it "mental retardation" in their notes and dictations on the matter. It's still listed as "mental retardation" in every diagnostic manual that comments on the subject. It's only the fuckin' retards (decidedly different than a person with "mental retardation", mind you) on the street who wring their hands and say "we cannot put labels on people if those labels create a social stigma!"

On a side note, one of my favorite stick-poking phrases is "vertically challenged" in reference to my short friends. One of the cashiers at my local Food Lion is like 4'9" and I give her no end of playful ribbing about the matter every time we wind up in her checkout line.

I work around some 'vertically challenged' people also, and if they ask for help with something because they are 'to short' I just tell them that they are only short on one end ;) which makes them laugh.

I work around some 'vertically challenged' people also, and if they ask for help with something because they are 'to short' I just tell them that they are only short on one end ;) which makes them laugh.

"Vertically Challenged"? "Too short"?

...at 5'1, I'm not "short" OR "Vertically Challenged...

I'm FUN SIZE!

:D

~ moogle

"Vertically Challenged"? "Too short"?

...at 5'1, I'm not "short" OR "Vertically Challenged...

I'm FUN SIZE!

:D

~ moogle

:roflmao:

I try to see things from the other person's side B) and I use euphemisms to avoid hurting their feelings; not to become popular by being 'PC' or 'cool'. I often find that many of those who are "challenged" in some way joke about it with friends as a way to better cope with it ^_^ But until I am their friend I won't go there out of my respect for every person, including myself B) I don't like a lot of what I hear and I wish upon those who are mean or discourteous the very thing they think doesn't matter- Poetic Justice is the best kind ;)

Bettypooh

D*I*A*P*E*R!

*give me a DIAPER*

*That is a Diaper*

*I wear DIAPERS*

*I need another DIAPER*

etc....

THEY

ARE

D*I*A*P*E*R*S

give me a "D"

give me a "I"

give me a "A"

give me a "P"

give me a "E"

give me a "R"

give me a "S"

ROFLMAO! Square Duck! Your post seriously had me 'quacking' up it was hilarious, & thanks for the Laugh, I needed it!

Rockies Fan. Go Rockies in 2011!:D

The market is no longer aimed at incontinence. It's totally aimed towards people who leak a little urine when they laugh too hard, excersize, sneeze, etc. Not a full wetting but just a little leakage once in a while, enough to get their panties and dress slacks wet. In order to get people to wear their product on a regular daily basis, they have to make them look and sound nothing like "diapers" and everything like regular underpants! Todays manufacturers of disposable absorbent products would like 100% of the people out there to be wearing them instead of regular underpants if they could get away with doing it! Even hinting that their current products are anything like "diapers" would hurt the image they have created with the general public as far as their disposable underwear are concerned.

It's interesting that only manufacturers call them "Briefs" or the latest, "Tear Off". I've had relatives in nursing homes, one with alzheimers and the care givers even referred to them as "diapers". In reading posts here in the forum, people who have been in the hospital have said the nurses refer to their diapers as either "diapers" or "Pampers", not disposable briefs. We all know what they are, diapers or products that are used for the same reason someone would need to wear a diaper. They aren't fooling anyone, it's simply that in order to sell any of their products to the general adult population for everyday use, they can't call them what they really are (diapers), even the actual fold open tape on diapers! They have to refer to them as something people already use on a daily basis, therefore the term "Briefs", "Tape-On's" or "Disposable Underpants". They (manufacturers and marketing people) feel that even people who are incontinent and need diapers won't want to hear of them being referred to as "their diapers".

By the way, I think that same mentality is why most actual disposable diapers have gone down hill so much over the past several years. Not the good brands like Molicare, Bambinos and Abena's, but the brands you see in regular stores. Manufacturers think incontinent people want thin and discreet products. I'm not incontinent but so many times I want to scream at these companies who have gone with cloth like backing, removed the side filling and have cut back on the absorbent material! I just want to say to them, "Don't you get it? We people with incontinence couldn't care less about thin and discreet! Most people who know us already know we have this problem! I don't care if my brief or diaper is bulky and russeles when I walk! I'd rather look bulky and be dry than have my diaper leak! How discreet is it anyway when your product leaks and I end up having wet pants? Can't you people get that through your heads? Save thin and discreet for your disposable underwear but leave your tape on disposable diapers alone so that they will do the job that we need them to do for us!"

Well put!

I wish Depend would just branch off and keep all these designer underwear shit on a new label. The name Depend is synonymous with "adult diaper". When ever I hear people joking about it (non DL's) they always say, "ohh, I should have worn my Depends" So if Depend were smart, they'd cap on this, keep their good old tape on plastic diaper called depends and make them thick and thirsty, and market all their other crap under some new trendy name.