LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

I Need A Ac Adapter

So the long short of it, my 500 Gig external that I use for my Laptop and Business is offline. I have figured it out to the 12V 2A. AC adapter. While the adapter still powers it up, it doesn't provide enough current to spin it up to speed. Thus I can't access my info. I keep a Entire clone of my Laptop on it, But more important I keep about 24,000 Karaoke songs on it for my side business. As well as about every fix it software I use for my main business.

So I was wondering if any of you are like me that have the Damn AC adapters laying around for different electronics. It must be rated at 12V and at least 2 Amp. I don't care about the plug on the other end as I could splice in the one I have. It is a 5.5mm Barrel w/ a 2.5mm center though.

I just need it long enough to power it up and get the stuff off and transferred back, till I can save up for another Enclosure for my Drive. I priced a Plug here locally and they want the same for the plug as they do for the whole enclosure.

I don't have a computer to put it in, and no way of transferring the data if I did so that's out. I tried using a battery charger but they seem to not work on the same principle. If you got one let me know and we will work something out.

That's why you get the extended warranty! I am on my 4th laptop AC cord and haven't had to pay anything after the original purchase!

It's 6 years old, the warranty would cost more than the cord! Extended warranties are a scam dude! Take better care of your stuff! :P My Laptop is 4 years old and has the same Adapter. But some things can't be helped. None the less, I think I found one for $8 shipped from NY. So that's probably what I will do. I guess these adapters are quite common on CCD Cameras and LCD displays..Also found one that the guy says was used on the AT&T uverse box.

Gotta car handy? mega-amps at 12V wait for you there under the hood ;) Rather than driving it into the living room :lol: rig a dropcord out to it till you can do something better B) Also if you've got an old PC PS, it has a 12V+ and GND or Common wire on the output with amperage aplenty up to the 12A range according to which one it is ^_^ Just don't go from the 12V+ to the 12V- wires or you'll end up with 24V and smoke :o

Bettypooh

Gotta car handy? mega-amps at 12V wait for you there under the hood ;) Rather than driving it into the living room :lol: rig a dropcord out to it till you can do something better B) Also if you've got an old PC PS, it has a 12V+ and GND or Common wire on the output with amperage aplenty up to the 12A range according to which one it is ^_^ Just don't go from the 12V+ to the 12V- wires or you'll end up with 24V and smoke :o

Bettypooh

Yeah, I don't have a car right here, was going to ask my roommate if he would mind if I hooked it up to his. It will probably take over a hour to transfer the 100 or so gig I'd like to get off. Never thought of the darn computer. Might try and get one from "My" house this weekend. Losing money just sitting here. :whistling:

I know what you mean about the over voltage, I already tried my Laptop cord and it popped the internal circuit protection. I had to reset the power supply in the cord. Makes me wonder how many people thought their laptop cord was bad and didn't know to reset the circuit??? :huh:

Well heck, if you just need to get the disk up to speed...why not wrap some string around the shaft and pull.....like a top ;)

who needs electricity when you have things like kids toys! :D

Radio Shack has got a ton of power supplies with multiple adapter tips.

For about $50 bucks, I stay far away from Radio Shack, not what it used to be in my day. :thumbsup:

99 times out of 100 an external hard drive is just a regular hard drive in an enclosure. If you can disassemble it and find out what kind of drive it is (3.5" or 2.5", SATA or PATA) you should be able to buy a new enclosure for it. Newegg.com has them starting at $9.99, depending on which you need. If you've got a desktop PC at home you may be able to install it as an internal drive.

Good luck and if you need any help figuring out what kind of drive it is, PM me.

99 times out of 100 an external hard drive is just a regular hard drive in an enclosure. If you can disassemble it and find out what kind of drive it is (3.5" or 2.5", SATA or PATA) you should be able to buy a new enclosure for it. Newegg.com has them starting at $9.99, depending on which you need. If you've got a desktop PC at home you may be able to install it as an internal drive.

Plus one for Newegg. and baby davey is correct most of the time the HD inside the external case is the same HD you would find in a desktop. I will often move drives around from machine to case and back again depending on my needs. One comment about the existing power supply. If you have 12 volt present when the drive is connected its not likly its a bad power supply. If however the voltage drops below 12 when connected to the drive they yes the PS is bad.

Carfull with the car bat, a car bat has about 500 amps depending on the size. Without fusing one crossed connection will start a fire.

Usually 12 volts at 2 amperes. Direct current, Tip positive

The supply should be regulated. The actual voltage should be the same with or without load.

Check out Newark Electronics.

So the long short of it, my 500 Gig external that I use for my Laptop and Business is offline. I have figured it out to the 12V 2A. AC adapter. While the adapter still powers it up, it doesn't provide enough current to spin it up to speed. Thus I can't access my info. I keep a Entire clone of my Laptop on it, But more important I keep about 24,000 Karaoke songs on it for my side business. As well as about every fix it software I use for my main business.

So I was wondering if any of you are like me that have the Damn AC adapters laying around for different electronics. It must be rated at 12V and at least 2 Amp. I don't care about the plug on the other end as I could splice in the one I have. It is a 5.5mm Barrel w/ a 2.5mm center though.

I just need it long enough to power it up and get the stuff off and transferred back, till I can save up for another Enclosure for my Drive. I priced a Plug here locally and they want the same for the plug as they do for the whole enclosure.

I don't have a computer to put it in, and no way of transferring the data if I did so that's out. I tried using a battery charger but they seem to not work on the same principle. If you got one let me know and we will work something out.

Repaid1,

In my job I run across a lot of 12 VDC pwr supplies. Let me look around and see what amps they produce. If I can find one at 2 amps or greater I'll snag it for you. Otherwise I have a number of Condor power supplies rated at .4 amps you could run in parallel (no, I don't know if this would work).

Anondl

Repaid1,

In my job I run across a lot of 12 VDC pwr supplies. Let me look around and see what amps they produce. If I can find one at 2 amps or greater I'll snag it for you. Otherwise I have a number of Condor power supplies rated at .4 amps you could run in parallel (no, I don't know if this would work).

Anondl

Thanks for the look around. I used to have two of these, but somewhere along the way somebody took my other one. I know it's the power supply as the other drives plug didn't work either way back when and produced the same symptom, and the drives are indeed Seagate Barracudda's 7200rpm Sata. I don't have Sata compatability in my old home PC, so I gotta figure out something soon.

And NO, you can't parallel The outputs, that's the first thing I tried :P:whistling:

Get an adapter or enclosure - cheap and easy. Have it from newegg by mid week. This way you get an ac adapter and you don't have to worry about frying out your drive.

USB-SATA adapter, even comes with the power supply: USB2-SATA USB2.0 TO IDE/SATA Adapter Cable

External HDD Enclosure (Sata): HDD Enclosures

Just my $0.0207 (CAN$0.02) :lol:

Repaid1,

How about 15 vdc @ 5 amps. Anyway that's what I measured with my VOM. Can your drive regulate that much voltage?

Anondl

Don't know never tried, but seems within a normal tolerance. But what do I know with a BS in Electronics. I do know that the 19.2 volt for my laptop triggers the protection circuit in the case. Not worried about the drive itself as the enclosure protected it so far. The thing is I really like my case, it has multiple lights (displays ) on it. Never saw another as nice so far. shows data transfer and power and has even flashed another light for under voltage. but If I haveta I haveta. Anyway what do you want for that, I'll give it a go if I can get it here cheap. Should be able to ship it in a usps flate rate box for about $5. Let me know.

Get an adapter or enclosure - cheap and easy. Have it from newegg by mid week. This way you get an ac adapter and you don't have to worry about frying out your drive.

USB-SATA adapter, even comes with the power supply: USB2-SATA USB2.0 TO IDE/SATA Adapter Cable

External HDD Enclosure (Sata): HDD Enclosures

Just my $0.0207 (CAN$0.02) :lol:

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, but the cable thing isn't going to work for me. Don't want to carry around a raw drive. The Feedback on the item listed it as junk on about every report. The enclosures I can get for the same price down the street, and as I said above mine is far superior to even the $30 buck ones. Oh well I'll figure out something.

Repaid1,

How about 15 vdc @ 5 amps. Anyway that's what I measured with my VOM. Can your drive regulate that much voltage?

Anondl

The 5amp side would be OK, but the 15v would fry the circuit, especially if you only need 2 amp. Ohms law states that at 2A, the voltage should raise to approx +25vdc.

Repaid, it is strange that a DC device would require 2 amps. Bettypooh's suggestion of using a computer PSU tail will work. Connections are shown here

ATX-connectors.JPG

The ground is the black (marked as COM) beside the + voltage except in the +12V2DC connector. Its ground is the COM diagonally opposite the +12V2DC. If you use a 20 pin OR 24pin connection, the pinouts are as follows...

connector_atx_pinout.GIF

Be careful not to bridge corresponding pins while making connections (live OR dead), as it can damage the pc power supply (even when disconnected as the regulating capacitors can hold charge for up to 24-48 hours after unit is disconnected.)

• Like 1

Don't know never tried, but seems within a normal tolerance. But what do I know with a BS in Electronics. I do know that the 19.2 volt for my laptop triggers the protection circuit in the case. Not worried about the drive itself as the enclosure protected it so far. The thing is I really like my case, it has multiple lights (displays ) on it. Never saw another as nice so far. shows data transfer and power and has even flashed another light for under voltage. but If I haveta I haveta. Anyway what do you want for that, I'll give it a go if I can get it here cheap. Should be able to ship it in a usps flate rate box for about $5. Let me know.

I think this (see pic above and description below) will fit in a flat rate box. I wonder what the PO will see when they x-ray it :rolleyes: I don't need any money assuming that this will help in your position as site administrator. I do need an address.

Anondl

The 5amp side would be OK, but the 15v would fry the circuit, especially if you only need 2 amp. Ohms law states that at 2A, the voltage should raise to approx +25vdc.

Repaid, it is strange that a DC device would require 2 amps. Bettypooh's suggestion of using a computer PSU tail will work. Connections are shown here

ATX-connectors.JPG

The ground is the black (marked as COM) beside the + voltage except in the +12V2DC connector. Its ground is the COM diagonally opposite the +12V2DC. If you use a 20 pin OR 24pin connection, the pinouts are as follows...

connector_atx_pinout.GIF

Be careful not to bridge corresponding pins while making connections (live OR dead), as it can damage the pc power supply (even when disconnected as the regulating capacitors can hold charge for up to 24-48 hours after unit is disconnected.)

I concure somewhat, but I don't know what the regulator can handle. I hooked it to a car battery which is 13.8/9 nom and it was fine. So at most it would just trip the protection circuit. Like I said I hooked it to my Laptop Charger which is 19.2 at 3.5 amp and no damage was done. Anyway I might have found one, other than that I will use the Desktop power to transfer the files. I would much rather be mobile with this as It ran my Karaoke show. I also don't understand the 2 amp draw, which may not be really what it needs, or at least just at spin up, I would think maybe nominally 1 amp with a 1.5 spike at spin up. Perhaps they gave a 2.0 Amp for longevity. :)

Repaid1

I have procured a 12vdc @ 5amps pwr supply.

Its yours if you still need it.

Anondl

Sent you the PM Dude!. I would imagine the USPS sees these on a regular basis daily. They are pretty common in electronics. Computers and monitors and such. :thumbsup: