LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Why Don'T They Make Gender Specific Diapers Anymore?

Back years ago before "adult baby" diapers were around,

Me and my girlfriend used toddler sized diapers for AB/DL play.

They use to be fun because they came in pink or blue patterns and/or colors.

Kind of like how Pull-Ups are made today.

Her favorite were Huggies "for her" because they were all pink.

I liked changing her into her own special diapers and it made her feel good too.

Why did they stop making these kind of diapers?

Guest little_jonny

thats something to think about.. i remember seeing commericals of the pink and blue packs of pampers.. i would say it was just to much for them to make of pink and blue diapers. also since they had to go from plastic to cloth, they needed something new.

I could be mistaken about this but... I think they quit doing that for cost reasons? In the end, it was more cost effective to just make a universal non gender specific diaper than it was to manufacture both kinds *shrugs*

It is cheaper for them them to make one style. The production costs out weighed the financial returns. It was a marketing stunt when they did it. It was a business decision when they stopped. If the actual parents demanded it, they would still exist.

My question is how the heck does an adult fit into a toddler diaper?

Some can.

Or wear them inside undies.

Wish I still could:crybaby:

my lord kari ,lol i'm sure this isn't true, but from your posts... you are waaaayyy to preoccupied with baby diapers!!!! lol

but i never noticed the switch from gender specific to just sorta general design....

Pull-Ups and GoodNites are made gender-specific.

Clearly if the mainstream baby disposable diaper manufacturers and major retailers believed there was enough market to justify stocking twice as many products, then there would be Huggies for Boys and Huggies for Girls.

Obviously the customers voted with their credit cards for a return to gender-neutral baby disposables.

I have a closet full of Walgreens pullups for men that I use for stuffers and my wife has a some depend pullups for wowmen.

If I run out of stuffers I borrow one of hers and she makes fun of me for wearing a woman's pullup diaper.

No matter.. they stuff those tape on diapers and feel nice and thick.

Stay Pampered

SoCalAB

http://socalab.250x.com

Normally, with a product range of 6 sizes, the retailer / produced has to estimate the sales of each range based on previous sales, and order enough for the next months supply. That is forcasting for six individual products. With the individual sexed diapers, this calculation doubles to 12 products. On top of this, the added shelf space required means that each size gets a minimum of two facings. That is a large amount of shelf space considering the sales of size 1, where the most of these size sales would be in a hospital environment etc. As a result, most retail establishment couldn't or wouldn't order enough of a specific gender / size. Purchasers, when looking for a specific size / gender diaper would normally chose the opposite gender if the correct gender was out of stock / not on display.

Using the reports from the bar-code scanning tills coupled with the brief credit card information, P&G discovered that the gender specific diapers were not enough in the smaller ranges to cause a purchaser to chose the correct one over the incorrect one. Add to this the increased cost, due to the reduction in quantity produced per gender, of production, P&G decided that the sales didn't warrant the production.

The original reason for producing gender specific diapers was to increase market share. The results of understock / lack of product placement and increased cost revealed a decrease in market share. (Not the correct gender in stock of larger range caused purchasers to purchase competing brand, and in smaller sizes gender was not important) P&G decided to then market a 'more absorbent' suitable for both genders diaper to replace their gender specific diaper.

The phase to 'gender specific diapers' originally increased market share. The following trend showed decreased market share. The 'gender neutral diapers' following increased market share again. Overall, the company market share was increased by 3 points which was a dismal return on investment.

• Like 2

The SAP they use in baby diapers these days is so absorbent that gender-specific isn't really necessary any more. Where at one time they might have needed "extra protection where boys need it most" these days they line the entire pad with sap and it works for both genders.

I remember that those gender specific diapers were different not just in their colors. The boys diapers had more absorbancy in the front and the girls in the crotch. That not only meant a separate production run for different prints on the plastic, but different assembly line tooling for the inner workings. Probably a costly thing.

Another thought that may or may not have any factor into the matter. When disposable diapers for babies came out, most parents still used cloth diapers and plastic pants. Perhaps back then gender specific disposable diapers were marketed as a way to get cloth diaper parents interested in trying and using disposables. Now days when most babies are in disposable diapers, there isn't such a big need to convince the majority of parents to switch from cloth to disposables. Also, as mentioned, disposable diapers are so much more absorbent and improved. By the way, no offence but this part of proper grammer is a real pet peeve of mine. It's, "My girlfriend and I", not "Me and my girlfriend". Sorry, but that specific misuse of grammar really gets to me. Again, no offence, just voicing my pet peeve.

It's, "My girlfriend and I", not "Me and my girlfriend". Sorry, but that specific misuse of grammar really gets to me. Again, no offence, just voicing my pet peeve.

Just had to check if you made proper use of "It's," and you did. I always get messed up on that one.

For everyone, "It's" is a contraction of "It is"

It's [it is] "my girlfriend and I," not "Me and my girlfriend."

"Its" is posessive.

Every dog has its day.

Ok, enough of this now. The work Its is starting to look and sound really wierd to me.

Another thought that may or may not have any factor into the matter. When disposable diapers for babies came out, most parents still used cloth diapers and plastic pants. Perhaps back then gender specific disposable diapers were marketed as a way to get cloth diaper parents interested in trying and using disposables. Now days when most babies are in disposable diapers, there isn't such a big need to convince the majority of parents to switch from cloth to disposables. Also, as mentioned, disposable diapers are so much more absorbent and improved. By the way, no offence but this part of proper grammer is a real pet peeve of mine. It's, "My girlfriend and I", not "Me and my girlfriend". Sorry, but that specific misuse of grammar really gets to me. Again, no offence, just voicing my pet peeve.

Disposables started gaining popularity in the late 60's gender specific diapers were a fad in the mid to late 80's. Much like denim or designer diapers now, they were a marketing gimmick that worked for a a while. I never bought into the more padding where it is needed line because we all know wetness spreads in diapers. When Huggies and Luvs had the boy/girl diapers there were no pull ups, no Goodnights and no size 6 & 7. It is a matter or maximizing shelf space and profit margin.

Guest diaperboykcmo

I loved the Gender specific diapers, that was in the 90's. Myxgf/mommy used to get me the girl diapers, and call me a sissy baby lol. I'm 100% straight, but I've always wanted to dress up as a baby girl, think it would be just more babyish.

I wish, one diaper company would make, plastic diapers and gender diapers. Give us a CHOICE! Course I understand they're not making them for the ab market, but still choices are very good! Also adults can fit into baby diapers, if modified. Least that's the case for me. Takes 2 diapers to make 1. Looks just like a baby diaper. For me it makes it more real.

People above likely have it right. As a former grocery manager of a grocery store, I can tell you that diapers traditionally have some of the poorest return on shelf space. Diapers generally have low profit margins/mark-ups, and take up a lot of shelf space to begin with, so this is likely why they are not gender specific anymore; this is also likely why many retailers, especially smaller stores, don't carry Pampers Size 7...there simply isn't enough shelf space.

My question is how the heck does an adult fit into a toddler diaper?

A: They're freakishly small and using the largest diapers available.

or

B: They don't really and are just fooling themselves.