LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Wearing Cloth Diapers

Michelle

Does anyone wear real cloth baby diapers? Unlike disposables they either fit or they don't and if its a baby diaper most likely it won't fit the average adult.

But baby cloth diapers (like Gerber) measure around 27 x 27 inches and are usually folded a certain way to fit a child's bottom. So I am wondering can adults fit into them? Also I'm thinking if not maybe they can be sewn together to make them bigger.

Any thoughts and suggestions is greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch...:rolleyes:

When I was a teenager, I wore miultiple diapers. They were flat gauze diapers. I am guessing that were about 20 X 30 inches They were single layer. The advantage they had was they dried quickly. I don't think they make those anymore.

The only difference between and adult prefold diaper and a baby prefold diaper is the size.

Does anyone wear real cloth baby diapers? Unlike disposables they either fit or they don't and if its a baby diaper most likely it won't fit the average adult.

But baby cloth diapers (like Gerber) measure around 27 x 27 inches and are usually folded a certain way to fit a child's bottom. So I am wondering can adults fit into them? Also I'm thinking if not maybe they can be sewn together to make them bigger.

Any thoughts and suggestions is greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

For decades the classic Curity gauze diaper was 21x40" For a typical baby the 40" was folded over to make a thicker diaper 21" long.

My Granny and Mom believed in those 21x40" Curity gauze diapers. Dundee Mills made Birdseye weave cotton diapers that were 27" square. With really small infants those would be used in a triangle fold. Actually there was not all that much difference between Curity gauze and Dundee Birdseye fabric. Eventually Kendall Mills sold their diaper gauze looms, but not the brand name, to Gerber. Previously Gerber had bought the entire Dundee business. These days Gerber sells 27" square 2 ply Birdseye diapers, as well as prefolds of gauze and Birdseye. Adult Cloth Diaper Co. sells 36" and 44" square 2 and 4 ply "gauze" diapers. This material is more like traditional Birdseye in that the threads are thicker than traditional gauze.

Mom used to sew 2 or even 3 of the classic Curity gauze diapers together to make 40" square and 40x60" which could be folded to fit teens and adults. Normally Mom used the new Curity diapers as is on younger kids. Once they were well-worn she would sew them together. By the way, the technically correct term for the way Granny and Mom fastened the gauze diapers together is "multi-needle over-lock stitch" which required an industrial over-lock machine. Today you can buy a home version that works quite well. Those are called "sergers" Gauze is very difficult to serge. Getting the tension correctly adjusted on all four threads requires some training and a lot of experience.

Personally I use the ACD 36" square 2-ply gauze diapers folding the sides in so that the back part laps over the front leaving about 8" just as a single layer. Inside that pinned gauze diaper I use 1, 2 or even 3 ordinary Gerber Birdseye infant prefolds as soakers. Frequently I wear a combination diaper to bed. For that I substitute a Pampers Cruiser Size 3 as the inner most soaker, the one next to my skin.

What you are describing sounds like what I wore 40 years ago.

For decades the classic Curity gauze diaper was 21x40" For a typical baby the 40" was folded over to make a thicker diaper 21" long.

My Granny and Mom believed in those 21x40" Curity gauze diapers. Dundee Mills made Birdseye weave cotton diapers that were 27" square. With really small infants those would be used in a triangle fold. Actually there was not all that much difference between Curity gauze and Dundee Birdseye fabric. Eventually Kendall Mills sold their diaper gauze looms, but not the brand name, to Gerber. Previously Gerber had bought the entire Dundee business. These days Gerber sells 27" square 2 ply Birdseye diapers, as well as prefolds of gauze and Birdseye. Adult Cloth Diaper Co. sells 36" and 44" square 2 and 4 ply "gauze" diapers. This material is more like traditional Birdseye in that the threads are thicker than traditional gauze.

Mom used to sew 2 or even 3 of the classic Curity gauze diapers together to make 40" square and 40x60" which could be folded to fit teens and adults. Normally Mom used the new Curity diapers as is on younger kids. Once they were well-worn she would sew them together. By the way, the technically correct term for the way Granny and Mom fastened the gauze diapers together is "multi-needle over-lock stitch" which required an industrial over-lock machine. Today you can buy a home version that works quite well. Those are called "sergers" Gauze is very difficult to serge. Getting the tension correctly adjusted on all four threads requires some training and a lot of experience.

Personally I use the ACD 36" square 2-ply gauze diapers folding the sides in so that the back part laps over the front leaving about 8" just as a single layer. Inside that pinned gauze diaper I use 1, 2 or even 3 ordinary Gerber Birdseye infant prefolds as soakers. Frequently I wear a combination diaper to bed. For that I substitute a Pampers Cruiser Size 3 as the inner most soaker, the one next to my skin.

Gauze, birdseye and flannel are available from multiple vendors, including brick-and-mortar wants in common widths. If you are handy enough to sew baby sized cloth diapers together, why not get a few yards of your prefered weave and make your own prefolds? Its got to be at least as easy as sewing together baby diapers and I hope that it's cheaper. You'll definately get a better product and you can make it a custom size that really fits you well. Just fold the material it give you the number of layers in the middle and sides and then sew them down. Finish by top stitching aroung all the edges.

It's really easy so if you need more encouragement, just send me a message. Yes, I've done this with birdseye diaper cloth I bought on-line. I further recommend Snappi size 2 rather than traditional pins to hold them up. Good luck!

Cloth diapers fit a wider range of people than disposables because you can fold them many different ways plus there's no 'landing zone' for pinning either ;) I sew a multi-layer terrycloth soaker in the center between two (or more) 36X36 Birdseye squares :) Great absorption and each one is about $6-7 with 10 or less minutes sewing time. To avoid the need for a serger I sew all but one corner inside-out (outside-in?), turn it inside-out again, tuck in the excess in the hole, then sew a plain stitch around the outside twice B) A nice, smooth, durable, no-hassle finished edge you can do on any machine :D

I use what some call an "Angel Fold", bringing both sides toward the center then the single layer back out. Fan out the back, lay on it, pull through and fan the front , pin both sides :angel_not: If it's too long front to back, just fold the excess in back prior to pre-folding. If it's too wide don't fan the front out before pinning and pin all layers. If it's really wide single-pin the front (or grow fatter- your choice :lol: ). Done correctly this creates a pocket for messes that doesn't gap and leak (though I don't do that; I'm a wetter only) and it has enough cloth to do well for side-sleeping :baby_sleeping: Make the center soaker to match your needs. I use 4 layers for daytime, 6+ layers for nighttime. They dry almost fully on hot in about 40-45 minutes; a day hanging to air dry on a rack inside does the rest :rolleyes:

There are countless variations for using cloth diapers- one will work best for your shape and activities. To know whether a specific size will work for you just cut an old towel, sheet, etc to that size, fold it and pin it on. If it's really tight go to a bigger size as 5% shrinkage isn't unknown :o and there's no fun in a perfectly good diaper you can't wear :crybaby:

Bettypooh

Well I am lucky to have small hips and waist (32") that I can easily wear 27" X 27" birdseye diapers and also the new Gerber diapers that are 24" X 27". I have also found some birdseye diapers from Green Mountain.com that are about 32" X 32" that fit very well and are very reasonable in price. I topically use 2 flat diapers with 2 or 3 toddler prefolds in between as stuffers. This makes a very good diaper for me which is very reasonable in cost, washes and drys very well. I have some diapers that are over 40 years old that are getting thin but in good condition yet.

As said above, there isn't any difference between childrens cloth diapers and Adult cloth diapers except for the size. If you go to Adult cloth diaper.com (AKA ADC) you will see they make them from the same materials as kids diapers, which is either birdseye or gauze or flannel.

IF you don't know much about cloth diapers, Gerber makes a couple of different types of diapers available through stores (target, babies R us, probably walmart..) in either prefold (which means there is more padding in the middle where needed, and less folding is needed) or flat, IE you have to fold it how you want. The sizes I believe are like 14 x 21 for the larger ones and something for smaller (younger) children. The only flat folds I know of are the 21 x 40 gauze which are still available, but I think only on-line. granite smith sells them on Ebay at a reasonable price, and they are a single ply gauze fabric that you can fold and layer how you want. These might or might not work for you, depending on what size you need. I wear mediums which fit me with a 38 inch waist / hips. Ladies are a bit different since their hip / waist measurements are different.

It also depends on how much work you want to put into folding and futzing around with these. I like prefolds because of minimal folding and they fit well every time...you might want something different..*shrug*

Sewing diapers might work for you..or not, again depending on your skills and how much work you want to put in, or buying on-line might be more cost effective or efficient its up to you.

Shop around, check Ebay, and amazon, adult cloth diaper, angelfluff, changing times diaper co, baby-pants.com (adult products) and a few others like fetware and comco who make plastic pants and cloth diapers as well.

I found these in amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-12-Pack-Diaper-Gauze-Flatfold/dp/B003F1D2L0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1292105668&sr=1-8

Which I didn't know they made :blush:

Cloth diapers, like disposable, really depends on what you want or like, and your 'lifestyle' you have to try a lot of different disposablebefore you find something that you really like, and it's kind of the same thing with cloth diapers. Materials range from gauze, birdseye and flannel to the newer types of materials like "micro suede and micro fleece' etc. there are make people out there who make them in many styles, or you can just go 'old school' and use the traditional flat or prefold diapers available in a fabric of your choice.

Personally, I go with the traditional prefolds in gauze or birdseye, because I got tired of folding diapers :blush: and I really like the idea of prefolds and how they look, work and feel....:wub: Others have different styles because thats what work for them. So again, you have to fnd what appeals and works for you and move in that direction. Theres a lot of good stuff out there and some expensive garbage, so shop around and ask if you aren't sure...thats all you can do.

If you like to sew, go for it, if thats not an option, then maybe something that is already made, like the gerber items might offer you want you are looking for in fit and performance.

Good luck either way, and I hope you find what your looking for and find them enjoyable.

I love my cloth diapers :wub: and hope they work out for you as well :D

welcome to the cloth side...the softer side of (diaper) life ;)

Cloth diapers fit a wider range of people than disposables because you can fold them many different ways plus there's no 'landing zone' for pinning either ;) I sew a multi-layer terrycloth soaker in the center between two (or more) 36X36 Birdseye squares :) Great absorption and each one is about $6-7 with 10 or less minutes sewing time. To avoid the need for a serger I sew all but one corner inside-out (outside-in?), turn it inside-out again, tuck in the excess in the hole, then sew a plain stitch around the outside twice B) A nice, smooth, durable, no-hassle finished edge you can do on any machine :D

I use what some call an "Angel Fold", bringing both sides toward the center then the single layer back out. Fan out the back, lay on it, pull through and fan the front , pin both sides :angel_not: If it's too long front to back, just fold the excess in back prior to pre-folding. If it's too wide don't fan the front out before pinning and pin all layers. If it's really wide single-pin the front (or grow fatter- your choice :lol: ). Done correctly this creates a pocket for messes that doesn't gap and leak (though I don't do that; I'm a wetter only) and it has enough cloth to do well for side-sleeping :baby_sleeping: Make the center soaker to match your needs. I use 4 layers for daytime, 6+ layers for nighttime. They dry almost fully on hot in about 40-45 minutes; a day hanging to air dry on a rack inside does the rest :rolleyes:

There are countless variations for using cloth diapers- one will work best for your shape and activities. To know whether a specific size will work for you just cut an old towel, sheet, etc to that size, fold it and pin it on. If it's really tight go to a bigger size as 5% shrinkage isn't unknown :o and there's no fun in a perfectly good diaper you can't wear :crybaby:

Bettypooh

I don't have a sewing machine but when I get one I will try this. Sounds cool.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

As said above, there isn't any difference between childrens cloth diapers and Adult cloth diapers except for the size. If you go to Adult cloth diaper.com (AKA ADC) you will see they make them from the same materials as kids diapers, which is either birdseye or gauze or flannel.

IF you don't know much about cloth diapers, Gerber makes a couple of different types of diapers available through stores (target, babies R us, probably walmart..) in either prefold (which means there is more padding in the middle where needed, and less folding is needed) or flat, IE you have to fold it how you want. The sizes I believe are like 14 x 21 for the larger ones and something for smaller (younger) children. The only flat folds I know of are the 21 x 40 gauze which are still available, but I think only on-line. granite smith sells them on Ebay at a reasonable price, and they are a single ply gauze fabric that you can fold and layer how you want. These might or might not work for you, depending on what size you need. I wear mediums which fit me with a 38 inch waist / hips. Ladies are a bit different since their hip / waist measurements are different.

It also depends on how much work you want to put into folding and futzing around with these. I like prefolds because of minimal folding and they fit well every time...you might want something different..*shrug*

Sewing diapers might work for you..or not, again depending on your skills and how much work you want to put in, or buying on-line might be more cost effective or efficient its up to you.

Shop around, check Ebay, and amazon, adult cloth diaper, angelfluff, changing times diaper co, baby-pants.com (adult products) and a few others like fetware and comco who make plastic pants and cloth diapers as well.

I found these in amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...92105668&sr=1-8

Cloth diapers, like disposable, really depends on what you want or like, and your 'lifestyle' you have to try a lot of different disposablebefore you find something that you really like, and it's kind of the same thing with cloth diapers. Materials range from gauze, birdseye and flannel to the newer types of materials like "micro suede and micro fleece' etc. there are make people out there who make them in many styles, or you can just go 'old school' and use the traditional flat or prefold diapers available in a fabric of your choice.

Personally, I go with the traditional prefolds in gauze or birdseye, because I got tired of folding diapers :blush: and I really like the idea of prefolds and how they look, work and feel....:wub: Others have different styles because thats what work for them. So again, you have to fnd what appeals and works for you and move in that direction. Theres a lot of good stuff out there and some expensive garbage, so shop around and ask if you aren't sure...thats all you can do.

If you like to sew, go for it, if thats not an option, then maybe something that is already made, like the gerber items might offer you want you are looking for in fit and performance.

Good luck either way, and I hope you find what your looking for and find them enjoyable.

OK my problem will be putting the silly thing on.

How do you get wet diapers clean? I'm one who has to walk to a laundry.

If you mess in a cloth diaper can they be washed or do they need to be thrown away?

• Like 1

OK my problem will be putting the silly thing on.

How do you get wet diapers clean? I'm one who has to walk to a laundry.

If you mess in a cloth diaper can they be washed or do they need to be thrown away?

Cloth diapers are a different critter unto themselves.

As for putting one on, they need to be pinned, ,or you can use a 'snappi' fastener which are sold in a couple of places, and some people like them, but I also hear they damage the fabric, soooooo, it's up to you. There are sites that show you the different ways of folding diapers and you pick what works for you. Like I said, I use prefolds which require minimal folding to fit, which is what I like :) If you choose flat diapers, they require more folding to get them how you want, and to me thats more work *shrug* here are a couple I found, and what works for kids also works for adults:

http://www.diaperpin.com/howto.asp

http://www.diaperpin.com/clothdiapers/article_artofdiapering.asp

http://www.dy-dee.com/html/Folding/folding.html

Since I use prefolds, All I do is fold them lengthwise in 1/3 (both sides into the middle) then fan out the back, park muy butt in the middle and pull the front up and fan it out to adjust the way I want, bringing the back corner up and over lapping the front corner and then pin. Do it a couple of times and it's easy :)

There are also pages for diaper maintenance and care, but generally if they sre just wet, I rinse mine out first to get rid of most of the pee first. This can be done either in a sink, or in the shower (while showering) or soak in the toilet, (most adult sized diapers are to big for this though) or use the 'rinse' cycle on the washing machine to rinse them, and when thats done, add what ever washing soaps (the gentler and more 'organic' the better) to the was and wash like anything else...in hot water though. Then run through a dryer and VIOLA, your done :DD

If they are messy, this can get icky for some people. First off, NO, you don't throw them out! Dump the majority of the contents in the toilet and rinse out the rest as best you can. This is where a diaper liner comes in handy. They are sold in sheets that fit inside your diaper or can just be a seperate flat diaper or just a fabric rectangle you put in the middle of your diaper to catch what ever happens and keep the diaper clean(er).

Rinse the diaper as above, then wash. You might have to treat the soiled area with a prewash or something to get rid of any stains, but generally they will come clean with washing. Thats what cool about cloth diapers is they are reusable, but the down side (for some) is they need care and maintenance. But if they are cared for properly, they will last a long time.....thus saving you money.

Some people don't like the face that cloth takes more work, but for me and others, it's worth the effort. There is NOTHING in the world like a bundle of clean diapers coming out of the dryer, all warm and soft and fluffy. :D OMG it's a rush. Some day that hanging them on a line outside to dry and taking them down is one of the joys of life, because they are clean, and smell wonderful and are again soft and fluffy.. *sigh*

Take care of them and they will take care of you :thumbsup: do a bit of reading and learn and I think you will be happy with them..I know I L*O*V*E mine :wub:

Anyways, google your questions about folding or pinning and you will find pages on the topic.

Hope this helps :D

{{{{{HUGS!!!}}}

OH! and don't forget that you need plastic pants for these as well ;) They can be found in many places, and vary in prices, so you might want to shop around. Comco, gary's and Adult cloth diaper.com all have good products...

And most importantly HAVE FUN! :thumbsup:

What a great thread! I have 6 or 8 old baby diapers left over from my kids and I use them as stuffers in disposables when I'm able to wear to bed. I'd prefer adult sized cloth and had some I'd made myself as well as a few I'd bought online - sadly gone now.

I love the idea of buying baby diapers and sewing them together - just straight stitching is something even I can do! If the time comes again when I can comfortably have some cloth diapers around, I'll keep these ideas in mind! Thanks for all the great ideas!!

Cloth diapers are the only way to really wear 24/7. Not that you can't use disposable, I'm just not sure you can afford it. At some point you have to confront the cost of disposables and cloth needs to be part of your management solution. When I'm at home or not at work, I wear cloth diapers. When at work or at a function where I need the flexibility, I wear disposables. When I can wear cloth at work, I do. It may not seem like much, but using too many disposables does add up.

Getting cloth diapers is easy. Many places offer them on the internet. I have a local seamstress make mine for a custom fit. I don't use pins becasue they just don't function very well. Velcro is the way to go. It makes for a much better fit and are much easier to put on.

To clean cloth diapers, I installed a seperate washer and dryer for them. But I have a local laundromat that will take and clean my rinsed diapers at a reasonable cost. (I'm only urinary incontinent and that makes it easier.) I've written on this board how I wash my diapers and so on.

Wearing cloth diapers takes some getting used to. For one, you will always feel and be wet. If you change the moment you wet, you will run out of diapers very quickly. So as with disposables, you need to gauge how long you can wear them before a change is needed. As mentioned on other posts you willl need plastic pants and they can become very uncomfortable at times. Not only do they trap in all moisture, they trap in heat and odor as well. The elastic leg gathers can get very uncomfortable since they will be wet no matter what.

The main thing about cloth diapers is that they seem to be more prone to leakage than disposables. Once the absorbent material in a disposable absorbs moisture, it takes a lot to release it. No so with cloth, you only have as much absorbency as you have cloth and only in certain places. Chance are, you will leak before you get the hang of wearing cloth.

Changing cloth at work, school, or anywhere else in public takes getting used to. You will need the "diaper bag" and plastic bags to carry at least one sopping wet diaper.

Cloth diapers are a mixed blessing. They are cheap and work but are high maintenance.

OMG. I don't know at how many posts I have extolled the virtues of cloth diapers. But, that's what I grew up with. AND, I am also almost, if not more, enamoured with the plastic pants that go over them. Most of my cloth diapers have been purchased commercially - I will never forget buying 3 dozen used but serviceable cloth adult diapers from a "geriatric laundry" (adult diaper service) in Indianapolis while on my honeymoon in the early 80's (wowza!). LOL However, I DID venture out and bought a used sewing machine and a female friend showed me how to use it. Not only can I repair older diapers still useable - pins have a way of tearing cloth diapers over time, as bleach (which I shouldn't use, but do, because I DO like to mess, as well as wet...) tends to damage the material over time, it's been a rush to experiment with making my own diapers, to my own specifications.

For most practical applications, and convenience, I use disposable adult diapers but use cloth baby diapers as inserts and soakers, and new, from Dundee Mills (now coming from South America) or Gerber (wherever they are now made), they can be bought for about $12/dozen. But, when I get the chance, and don't have to be concerned about bulk, even in public, I prefer cloth. And, since I have my own washer & dryer, laundry of cloth diapers is no problem. For the disposable generation, cloth takes some getting used to. But, I maintain cloth is more absorbent, and if you like the feel of wetting, as wetting creeps, cloth lets you feel it happen. Mmmmmmm. LOL And, when you experiment with what you prefer, you aren't limited to what someone else produces, though the commercially made cloth adult diapers on the market are decent products, though they seem expensive, but get cheaper, overall, over their lifetime, versus one time use and throw away disposables.

For the younger set, getting used to and beginning to enjoy cloth is an acquired pleasure. For us older "diaperists", cloth takes us back, to a time of comfort, and we readily enjoy the comfort cloth diapers, and using them, gives us.

I've wanted to go cloth for some time now. They seem so fluffy and soft to wear.

I just don't want to deal with the hassles of what other users here have brought up, the prcess behind cleaning a cloth nappy you mess into. That's why I like disposable diapers. You just load them up and throw them out, there's no real work involved.

be that as it may, I still want to know the rush that square duck talks about with the bundle of fresh fluffy cloth diapers. Yummer.

I've wanted to go cloth for some time now. They seem so fluffy and soft to wear.

I just don't want to deal with the hassles of what other users here have brought up, the process behind cleaning a cloth nappy you mess into. That's why I like disposable diapers. You just load them up and throw them out, there's no real work involved.

be that as it may, I still want to know the rush that square duck talks about with the bundle of fresh fluffy cloth diapers. Yummer.

I was raised in cloth. Still wear cloth but when I feel I'll be dirty I have used a dispoable under my cloth diaper for easier clean-up.I also agree with Square Duck on getting a rush from wearing a fluffy cloth diaper.

I have been using cloth diapers for most of my life. My wife managed to make some diapers but we soon found out that we could buy them for about what it cost to make them.

I found these in amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...92105668&sr=1-8

While I'm not sure that gauze or bird'seye cloth will be or can be "fluffy", for an adult, it works well, and the amount of absorption is excellent - PLUS, it is a rush to be able to feel the wetness wicking up and soaking into dry areas of the diapers. With soiling, depending upon consistancey of stool, cloth helps control where the stool goes and how fast, and is better able to prevent it moving out of the diaper. Adult disposable diapers tend to be way to narrow in the crotch to adequately contain a pasty messing.

Now, for the "fluffy" diaper, flannel, of several layers, is probably the most "baby-like". My mother, for extra income, my mother took over the duties of remote/local location for a diaper service located in a larger city. She answered the phone and housed "set ups", as well as stocking extra supplies - diapers, diaper pails, extra plastic bags, deodorizer blocks for diaper pails - for those running short. There were soft, fluffy, aromatic - diapers were washed and gotten bright white by the "diaseptic process" cloth diapers for newborns and babies through potty training. To say, for me, our "diaper room" and the scent of those fresh clean diapers, even bagged up, was INTOXICATING, is an understatement. While there are some diapers I've bought through the mail that start out "fluffy", after use and washing, they are less so. Nevertheless, cloth diapers rock! And, while they are not convenient to use a lot of the time, due to bulk and having something to deal with when you need a diaper change - like at the YMCA, or at work, etc. - it IS possible to use them full time. In most cases, disposables, with soakers, especially, have their place. And, you don't have to worry about setting off metal detectors at airports with diaper pins! Not sure about the metal snaps in some plastic pants and/or onesies...

Anyone who has not yet tried cloth diapers ought to step up, buy two or three - actually, terrycloth towels CAN be an adequate substitute - experience a good wetting, and if not then, after washing and drying, experience messing. Plastic pants, of course, are essential, and buying a pair with a wide crotch and high back is recommended. I mean, it's only diapers! And, as long as you're already into the AB/DL world and experience, cloth diapers - and, amazingly, they and plastic pants are more readily available for adults than ever! - ought to be part of that experience!

There is not much advantage to disposibles if they are used conscientiously

The myst be THOROUGLY rinsed in HOT water before disposal, otherwise you're dumping your excretia on someone else to deal with since most landfills are not designed to handle toxins or septics and they then leach into the ground water. The frequency of "boil water" alerts has skyrocketed since the 1970's. Also Super Aborbant Polymers are very new, about 25 years old and I know of no long-term studies done on them. The majority of users with infants do not do this from what I've heard from landlords and seen on pickup day. This also attracts stray dogs that rip open trashbags and scatter the contents. The there are the rats and mice. A major outbreak appears to be just a matter of time

Because of these concerns, though throw-away diapers have existed for over 60 years, they were not in common use because people had it drummed into them that urine and feces were really bad news and just did not want to take the chance of having it around and figured that there would be somebody who did not play by the rules. Hospitals use them only out of fear of lawsuits and have very secure waste disposal syystems by and large but this comes at a price and fecal material should be considered at the level of medical waste since it carries coloform bacteria and sometimes hepititis to mention only two things.

On the other hand sewage system has been handling this for over 70 years and has a proven track record of probably a billion flushes a day in the US as well as food wastes

So, if you like the "convenience" of throw-aways, you better be very careful and conscientious becasue what goes around comes around.

And before you invoke the now-discreditied sacred cow of the dreaded "carbon footprint", what do you think one 3-day "boil water" alert will do to that? Espeically where gas is used.

If you think you save on price, just consider the costs of what I have described and that is mostly in taxes and interest on city and state debt, which are not usually figured in the range-of-the-moment equation because they are delayed