DL_DB

Choice of computer operating system  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS for you?

• Mac OS X
    • Windows (any variety)
    • Linux or other UNIX
    • Other not listed here

I use OpenOffice for Windows on one of my computers while my wife uses MS Office 2007 on hers, and there has never been any formatting issues when I use the same file (by way of shared file server) on both machines. It didn't matter which machine created the file. I've even used OpenOffice to edit my resume file, and it looks the same on both machines.

I'm just wondering, have you used the latest release, or are the above statements based on a previous version? There are ALWAYS glitches in old versions (even MS had glitches in their early programs, you can't argue that point). And OpenOffice is now being produced by Sun (maker of Java) which gives it a better backing than when it was a simple project. The price (of both the OS and the app software) is the key thing to me. Why should I pay nearly $300 for a copy of MS Office (or even $150 to upgrade from an old, non-supported version, to the current one) when can get the same functions and capabilities for no price at all (and legally)?

Look, I'm not trying to turn this thread into a fight, I'm just trying to show that there's more to the computer world than just Mac or Windows (both of which are over priced OS's that force you to pay extra money for applications you want to use (like Office, an accounting app like PeachTree, or audio/video/photo editing, etc). Open Source is not something to be afraid of, it is something people should be embracing, because the programs are updated more often because more people are involved with reviewing and fixing the code. Having more diverse groups of people (and more diverse hardware setups) is a much better thing than a small, closed group of people (using only a specific, pre-defined hardware setup). I have used different versions and distributions of Linux since the early 1990s, and it has come a long way over the years. Just because it isn't made by MS doesn't make it a bad program (or OS). I've had way more problems with every version of Windows than I've ever had with any version of Linux.

I agree Artemis, I've been using OpenOffice for a while now and I've never had any problems with formatting back and forth. Oddly enough, when I was using Word I did, with it's own formats. <_< I wouldn't call myself a "power user" but I do a smidge more than the standard consumer ;) . And I hate Gimp, it has more features than I need, use or even care to learn how to use. Paint.net works fine for my few image editing needs.

• 4 weeks later...

A professor (a Mac person) who taught several computer related courses said that Mac and PC (windows 3.0 was several years in the offing) people were just different. Don't know if this holds water any more.

Also a guy who was with a computer training company said Macs were "fiendishly simple" and they made a lot of money training oil company people to use Macs and charged considerably less than Apple too.

I did an internship and we used Macs. I had to learn what not to do on a Mac because we were designing software for school kids using the old Apples. I have nothing for or against Macs.

In any event Macs are out of my price class

I use a self made computer made with parts from Fry's. This decision was dictated by the state of my wallet. I've been using Linux since RedHat 6.1 or 6.2

To each his own.

My first machine was an old HP I put that thing thur hell not knowing nothing about computers, then I got a compaq and I had many troubles with it, then my next was a toshiba my first laptop I still have it and it works great but it is a little slow.

Then I bought a new HP Pavilion Entertaiment laptop, I have that for almost 3 years and it just died HP repaired it for 275, but in the meantime waiting for the HP to come back I bought another HP Entertainment Laptop, that one works great but developed a freezing problem, so I sent that one back and I'm waiting for its return.

If the new one lasts as long as the current one I will be very happy.

I use PCs/Windows at home and work, but I used to program Unix and enjoy it. Macs are overpriced and always try to lock you into their S/W and systems only. Viva la choice!

• 5 months later...

Being a programmer and technician I see both Mac and PC's. PC's have more users and software for users than MAC and PC's are more in the price range that most people can afford. Also, Windows 7 is stable and I have only had one BSOD with Windows 7 and you'll notice you don't see anymore of those MAC PC commercials since Windows 7.

I'm passed the point of wanting to throw my money away on a computer just to have it depreciate so quickly that I can't recover even a portion of my investment. I have multiple PC's running OS's from DOS to Window 7 x64. I have had MAC's and IMAC's in the past and couldn't find the software needed to run my businesses, so I went back to PC's. I played with Linux and other Unix based OS's and they're too confusing even for someone that needs a PhD to install all the kernals and files properly.

...just my .02 cents

Being a programmer and technician I see both Mac and PC's. PC's have more users and software for users than MAC and PC's are more in the price range that most people can afford. Also, Windows 7 is stable and I have only had one BSOD with Windows 7 and you'll notice you don't see anymore of those MAC PC commercials since Windows 7.

I'm passed the point of wanting to throw my money away on a computer just to have it depreciate so quickly that I can't recover even a portion of my investment. I have multiple PC's running OS's from DOS to Window 7 x64. I have had MAC's and IMAC's in the past and couldn't find the software needed to run my businesses, so I went back to PC's. I played with Linux and other Unix based OS's and they're too confusing even for someone that needs a PhD to install all the kernals and files properly.

...just my .02 cents

Umm, which distributions were you trying? I don't have a PhD and I've installed, run, recompiled, updated, modified, etc many different distro's on many different machines since 1997...

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I've used every OS listed above and a few that weren't, (various versions of DOS,) and I can say that without a doubt, the Mac is my favorite platform. I used Windows for ten years before I finally got sick of dealing with the OS. I've run multiple versions of Linux, but the OS just doesn't do as much as Mac OS X does for me. My current OS of choice is Mac OS X, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

In my field you pretty much need a Mac or you're laughed out of the business, and the part about needing a Mac is fine with me. I like OS X's UI, I like OS X's programs, I like the platform's increased support, which isn't quite at the level of Windows, but is a bit larger then that of Linux and other OSes, and I like the stability within OS X itself.

Right now I have one cheap ($500 dollar) Windows box set up running Windows 7, and I use it for exactly one program, and it's honestly a program that I could live without. (Don't ask why I don't dual-boot; it's a long story.) I also have a second ten-year-old box set up running Linux and Windows XP. I use the Linux partition when I want to mess around in Linux, and I use the Windows XP partition for the sole purpose of ripping DVDs that I'll transfer to my Mac and convert into videos for use on one of my iPods. I also have multiple Macs; I use them regularly for everything from writing this post at DD, to work-related activities, as well as games, and professional photo editing. Some of my Macs are newer/more powerful than others, but they all do what I need them to do. The Mac costs me more in the short-run, but I've yet to have a Mac that's cost me more to maintain and operate in the long run, which is part of the reason OS X is my preferred platform.

My laptop uses Windows Vista. For a while I've been meaning to change it to Linux Ubuntu, then I heard that Windows 7 is pretty good. Only reason I want to change is because Vista slows my games, but I don't know how to do so without wiping my hard drive.

As for the PC OS V Mac OS thing...I simply don't understand the arguments. I used a Mac once on work experience, wasn't too fond of it, but that was due to just being familiar with windows and the mouse was damn heavy. Why do people say that Mac has better programs for things like media editing?

Windows has photoshop, Mac OS has a version too. Video editing? Windows has Sony Vegas, Linux systems have Cinerella (and of course WINE), Mac users will tend to dual-boot or use a Mac equivalent of WINE (I'm not going to say a Windows Emulator because Wine Is Not an Emulator) - and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see PC OSs have a program similar to Qwaark (which, I will admit, was a very good program).

When the programs are more or less level on each system, surely the only thing that matters (if we're talking about businesses here) is stability - and Linux OSs are the most stable ones from what I've heard. Oh, as for viruses / malware...who DOESN'T have AVG or better installed?

Windows 7 Here, which came preloaded on my new laptop. Was very glad to Skip Vista altogether, since it seemed to have so many Problems.

Rockies Fan. Go Rockies in 2011!:D

Windows 7 64 bit ultimate. does everyting. I run several machines and have installed an OS on many more. I will say the switch to win 7 was painless. Total time for an install was about 20 minutes while XP pro takes well over an hour between finding the drivers and getting everything to work.

Vista was the worst!