LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Singular or Plural?

I think most of us here have a strange, special reaction to hearing the word "diaper" spoken out loud. For me, the word makes me mildly uncomfortable and awkward but also excited. On those rare occasions when the word comes up in normal, mundane conversation; I try not to react to it. 

But when talking about one person wearing this garment or talking about one of these garments individually, do you say 'diaper' or 'diapers'? For example:

"Joe is wearing his diapers."

"Joe is wearing a diaper." 

"I saw Joe is his diapers." 

We often talk about a 'pair' of underwear, even though an underwear is one piece of clothing. In the United States, we use the word "panties" even if it is one skimpy garment. In Europe, the word "knickers" is sometimes used, once again to refer to one singular garment. 

I'm not policing anyone's grammar. I'm just curious. Do you guys prefer "diaper" or "diaperS"? Why or why not?

At times I am wearing diapers, multiple cloth diapers. I've even worn multiple disposable diapers in the past. Right now though, I am wearing a diaper.

I don't have a real preference, although context tends to determine useage.

I am wearing a diaper.

I wear diapers.

At any given time, one wears "a diaper", but the condition in which one does so is called being "in diapers" also being in "rubber panties". In the early summer of 1962, a toddler was found outside his home in the Providence RI area and the radio news report described him as being found "in blue rubber pants", which I presumed were over a diaper since that was the standard fare

Just now, zzyzx said:

@BabyJune: Don't you just love something like "ghoti"....  I'll explain (if needed) later....

That used to be "photi" but I like "ghoti" better, it is further out by a level

1 hour ago, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

That used to be "photi" but I like "ghoti" better, it is further out by a level

Ah.....  Reminds me of "phrog".....  I'm probably going to get in trouble with those that want correct spelling.  The problem with being taught phonetic spelling... <grin>....  And spelling is my main downfall from the educational system....  English spelling is not logical....  at least from what one can do with phonetics.....  Any way....

1 hour ago, zzyzx said:

Ah.....  Reminds me of "phrog".....  I'm probably going to get in trouble with those that want correct spelling.  The problem with being taught phonetic spelling... <grin>....  And spelling is my main downfall from the educational system....  English spelling is not logical....  at least from what one can do with phonetics.....  Any way....

How many times have I dealt with prudish forum software by resorting to "phuhque"?? Worked every time

• Haha 1
On 1/29/2023 at 7:51 PM, Little BabyDoll Christine said:

How many times have I dealt with prudish forum software by resorting to "phuhque"?? Worked every time

@Little BabyDoll Christine: Has your mommy dollies allowed you to take the bar of soap out your mouth?  Good little boys and girls, especially princesses wearing tiaras, aren't supposed to use that word.  <grin>....  I'm not going to report it to Daily Di.  He might add another word to the naughty list, and then you would have to switch the leading p to a g....  And then Daily Di would add yet another word to the filter.... <GRIN>

• Like 1
On 1/28/2023 at 6:12 PM, NewGuy20 said:

I think most of us here have a strange, special reaction to hearing the word "diaper" spoken out loud. For me, the word makes me mildly uncomfortable and awkward but also excited. On those rare occasions when the word comes up in normal, mundane conversation; I try not to react to it. 

But when talking about one person wearing this garment or talking about one of these garments individually, do you say 'diaper' or 'diapers'? For example:

"Joe is wearing his diapers."

"Joe is wearing a diaper." 

"I saw Joe is his diapers." 

We often talk about a 'pair' of underwear, even though an underwear is one piece of clothing. In the United States, we use the word "panties" even if it is one skimpy garment. In Europe, the word "knickers" is sometimes used, once again to refer to one singular garment. 

I'm not policing anyone's grammar. I'm just curious. Do you guys prefer "diaper" or "diaperS"? Why or why not?

I guess it depends on the context, at least for my preference.   "I wear diapers," if I was talking about it being a permanent situation.  When I'm referring to a specific diaper, I would use diaper.

For example,  I wet my diapers means that I habitually pee in a diaper.   I wet my diaper means that I have wet the diaper I'm currently wearing.

1 hour ago, puffy_bottom said:

I like being described as being "in diapers" "wearing diapers" and having on a diaper.

And based on my feeling: wearing diapers means that you're generally wearing a diaper.  Wearing a diaper means- you're currently in a diaper

As far as pants or a pair of pants go. I think may have insight.

An early predecessor to modern pants, was actually not the singular stitched garment we wear today, it consisted to two separate pieces of clothing (a pair), that would be put on each leg. This was called pantaloons The word pantaloons though the evolution of language got abbreviated to pants. So I guess the language has failed to keep up with the technology.

*this is based on my memory on research I did as a child, and may be wrong. Feel free to correct me if so.

One thing funny I noticed as an AB, sometimes I like to add ies to the end of a word to make it more childish, "baby needs burpies" "baby loves huggies" I cannot do the same thing for pants "time to put on your panties" just doesn't sound right when spoken to a toddler boy.

In this case, it does: "panties" are defined as briefs without a fly. and in their heyday baby pants were indeed called "rubber panties". See the documentation  used here, including and episode of THE LIFE OF RIELY

http://other.sandralyn.net/rppage.html#intro

This is recognized at DD by the Cloth diaper forum being titled "Cloth Diapers & Panties"

Although, the singular of the garment is also call a "panty"

• Thanks 1