LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

24/7 hygiene and health concerns

So I wear diapers pretty much every day and recently for the past week or so it’s been 24/7. 

I change in my bedroom and keep used diapers (bagged) in my laundry basket until I put them in the bin / trash / dumpster thing outside.

But I’m just wondering, is there any room for concern regarding breathing in the smell of urine? 

I keep my window open and air out with a dehumidifier etc but could prolonged inhalation cause breathing problems / chest infections etc? 

And if so, how do I tackle this?

**Edit: I have just had a quick google search and apparently urine soaked into carpets can cause mould - I have a carpet in my room and sometimes leak etc and it drips on the carpet. 

I rub at it to try and remove it but maybe that just pushes it in deeper?  

• Like 1

I remember a news report a dozen years ago or so about sanitation workers in Chicago  being overcome by fumes emanating from a dumpster. Turns out it was outside a daycare and filled with fermenting soiled diapers. It probably didn’t help that it was in the nineties that day. 

For a quick change of freshly wet diapers there should be no problem.  I would get them out of the house within a day or less.  If they build up for a few days, there will be a heavy ammonia smell and not only is that not great to be around constantly, everyone else in the house will start to smell it.  Best to get used diapers bagged up and in the trash outside as soon as possible.

If you are getting urine on your floor or carpet, you are being careless in your changing preparations.  You should invest in a waterproof washable mat to either lay down on, stand over or use if you have to put your wet diaper on something while you wipe off and put on a clean diaper.  Don't do anything when changing diapers that will get urine, even a little bit, on your carpeting.  It will soak in and eventually start to smell.  Your only option will be to shampoo the carpet in that area and that is quite a job to do properly to make sure it's fully clean and dry afterwards.  Best to just protect it in the first place.

• Like 1

My used diapers (urine only) go in the kitchen waste basket which gets taken out to the trash barrel every day or two. A few drops on carpet can be blotted with an absorbant towel but don’t rub-in. Carpeting should be cleaned periodically for a number of reasons! Use a carpet cleaner that sprays solution then sucks it out. Don’t go over the same spot too many times or moisture may penetrate through to the backing and even damage wood flooring underneath, nevermind potential mold growth. 

I use one of the Janibell systems, could be in the bathroom or wherever tbh. 

The plastic the bin is made of pretty-much-completely contains odors (you have to open the bin and sniff to get anything). The only downside is those bags are fairly see-through; I still use them because they also have odor containment measures in them compared to regular trash bags, but trash bags could probably (?) work just fine.

Bags alone (e.g. sitting on a cloth or carpeted surface) don't work so well, as the smells eventually permeate it onto whatever it is sitting on. Before I had the Janibell, I simply dumped nappies into the kitchen trash under the sink...We surprisingly never had any odor problems, and I suspect a large part of that is due to how often we drink coffee and throw grounds in there with it.

Wouldn't know if diaper smells themselves are bad for you but...why bother dealing with that, when you could put together a disposal process that eliminates it in the first place?

@megaaaan

I use the Akord Jannibelle Diaper Disposal System Pail Model 330 - It is an 11 gallon pail with the ability to deal with the odors associated with diapers, as @Kif says:

717W8SjNl6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This system comes with a refill, so you can use it to deal with diapers, or other incontinence supplies, and it has an internal hatch to keep the small of dirty diapers at bay.  One thing I note is that when I got it, I realized that the trapdoor piece was NOT snapped in place, so I was smelling the contents, but I also was able to snap it in, and after that, i had no problem :)

This thing has over 80 FEET of continuous feed bag, so when you fill the thing up, you open the bottom door, and then PULL the bag DOWN and towards you, till you have enough to be able to tie off the bags.  Use the CUTTER that is built into the unit to CUT the bag, then TIE a KNOT in the end of the cut bag, and then pull the bag a little to widen it if necessary.  Close the access door, and turn the LOCKING latch, making sure that it is locked, and ready to go again. Then, take the old bag, tie a KNOT in that one, and dispose of it in the trash receptacle, or in my case, the trash chute.

Did this myself for the time today, when I emptied the trash in the bathroom, and WOW - easier then heck to do!  I also like the internal hatch, and the fact that these things are SCENTED.  that way, the only way you smell something is if you either put something through the trapdoor, or you open the lids and sniff - Otherwise, the bags keep the smell down.

The bags I have for this thing are GREEN tinted, and can hold a LOT, and one of the things i like about this thing is:  You could have a load of diapers, and some of them could SMELL pretty bad when you used it (especially if you have BM Diapers in there).  I emptied mine today, and while they were heavy, they did NOT smell as bad as if I had just taken a trashbag, leaving it in the showerbay.  this Thing sits in the bay, so its doing its job, and I was able to put a Northshore Disposable Pad in there, along with any trash from my commode side can, and it works REALLY well.  I had my Case Manager order me 2 ADDITIONAL refills for this thing, and a LOT of other supplies to help me as well.

The idea of a system like this, is so that you don't HAVE the smells and mess associated with incontinence.  You REALLY should not be leaving dirty diapers on any surface that will absorb the smell of the contents of the diaper - The REASON I have the Jannibelle is because I don't want to WORRY about it, and have to worry about something smelling up the house - I mean, what happens if i have an inspection, or a maintenance issue, and they enter to deal with it and smell that?  NOT good - Now, I have a way to deal with it :)

Brian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Kif said:

Bags alone (e.g. sitting on a cloth or carpeted surface) don't work so well, as the smells eventually permeate it onto whatever it is sitting on. Before I had the Janibell, I simply dumped nappies into the kitchen trash under the sink...We surprisingly never had any odor problems, and I suspect a large part of that is due to how often we drink coffee and throw grounds in there with it.

Wouldn't know if diaper smells themselves are bad for you but...why bother dealing with that, when you could put together a disposal process that eliminates it in the first place?

@Kif

As @rusty pinssays, you have to be prepared when you change as well.  You should NOT be getting urine or feces on your floor unless you have a messy cleanup.  I use a trick taught me by @Evelyn Dellcerroand @Transfusionelle:  If you are prone to making a mess, or you think you will leak, or, let say you want to "play" and not get the bed all dirty - They will cover all areas they use with tarps, and that way they can have fun, then rinse off the tarps.

I use the tarps on my bed as the protection to the top blankets and sheets.  If @megaaaan is getting urine anywhere, then the trick is to protect the surface that you are using to change, as the urine smell can permeate the area, and if you don't effectively deal with the smell, people will probably know by the smell that you are wearing and using diapers:  I have a tarp on the bed, because the bed is nice, and I sometimes leak, so I don't want to RUIN my sheets and blankets, or my mattress.

On 9/11/2021 at 12:19 PM, rusty pins said:

For a quick change of freshly wet diapers there should be no problem.  I would get them out of the house within a day or less.  If they build up for a few days, there will be a heavy ammonia smell and not only is that not great to be around constantly, everyone else in the house will start to smell it.  Best to get used diapers bagged up and in the trash outside as soon as possible.

Agreed, Rusty:  The best idea is to get the diapers outta there in a few days.  With my Jannibelle, I can wait a few weeks between bag changes, or can change the bag more often :)  i think that the video that deals with this says that you should not have to change the refill for 3 MONTHS??  WOW!!!

Brian

Edited by ~Brian~
edtor malfunctions
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, ~Brian~ said:

Agreed, Rusty:  The best idea is to get the diapers outta there in a few days.  With my Jannibelle, I can wait a few weeks between bag changes, or can change the bag more often :)  i think that the video that deals with this says that you should not have to change the refill for 3 MONTHS??  WOW!!!

Double-wow, haha ?

I couldn't imagine going 3 months, let alone to fullness in the pail due to the weight of it! Two days is definitely just about right.

The opening on the larger model is perfect for adult nappies, but IMHO it let's you overfill it by weight. I actually have a small carboard box in the bottom to take up 1/3 of the space so that I don't let the whole thing fill up by accident. Not that the bags break, but damn can that bag get heavy (and really awkward lugging around).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WetDad said:

I use a Dekor diaper container, which sounds very similar to what Brian has. Mine fills up in less than a week. I can't imagine having to wait 3 months to empty it.

@WetDad

I don't think I'd wait 3 months to empty it, but it is nice not to have a trash bag in the bay that would smell it up.  The jannibell is pretty good at keeping the smell down, and I was able to change the bag really easy, so I can do it when necessary :)

Brian

On 9/13/2021 at 3:23 PM, ~Brian~ said:

@Kif

As @rusty pinssays, you have to be prepared when you change as well.  You should NOT be getting urine or feces on your floor unless you have a messy cleanup.  I use a trick taught me by @Evelyn Dellcerroand @Transfusionelle:  If you are prone to making a mess, or you think you will leak, or, let say you want to "play" and not get the bed all dirty - They will cover all areas they use with tarps, and that way they can have fun, then rinse off the tarps.

I use the tarps on my bed as the protection to the top blankets and sheets.  If @megaaaan is getting urine anywhere, then the trick is to protect the surface that you are using to change, as the urine smell can permeate the area, and if you don't effectively deal with the smell, people will probably know by the smell that you are wearing and using diapers:  I have a tarp on the bed, because the bed is nice, and I sometimes leak, so I don't want to RUIN my sheets and blankets, or my mattress.

Brian

Making a mess can be loads of fun LOL.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

i use reusable tshirt type store bags as i got a case of the from a store that went out of business.

these are the required reusable store bags in calif but because of covid you can't reuse them but they are perfect for putting a wet diaper in and tieing shut and throwing in the bin.

you can buy a case of 1000 for about $20

the stores charge 10 cents each and get them for around $20 a case and make 8 cents a bag when they sell them to you.

I use small plastic bags that fit those small bathroom waste baskets.  They are perfect fit one wet diaper and once dropped in, I compress it down to remove as much air as possible and tie it shut. I then throw it in one of those thick black trash bags from Home Depot out in my garage. When there are six to eight bags in it I’ll squeeze out the air and seal the bad with a cable tie and put it out on trash day.

• 3 months later...

I wear diapers 24/7 for a neurogenic bladder. My brain doesn't talk to my bladder anymore so my bladder just releases whenever it wants. Doctor gave me a prescription for and told me point blank that I would be back in diapers the rest of my life.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I wear diapers 24/7 and permanently for Incontinence. I just don't think about using the potty and I often times forget to go and on top of that my bladder doesn't hold like it use to anymore. At home I have diaper pails in the bathroom to put my use diapers in. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Kawaharu said:

I wear diapers 24/7 and permanently for Incontinence. I just don't think about using the potty and I often times forget to go and on top of that my bladder doesn't hold like it use to anymore. At home I have diaper pails in the bathroom to put my use diapers in. 

Do you have your own baby nursery?!??????????♥️??☺️

13 minutes ago, BabySpiderBoy said:

Do you have your own baby nursery?!??????????♥️??☺️

No, just a regular room and I do have a designated place to do diaper changes.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Kawaharu said:

No, just a regular room and I do have a designated place to do diaper changes.

May I ask what the cause of your incontinence is?

• Like 1