LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Plastic pants. Do they help with leaks?

Ames

Hi, 

So I have been wearing diapers about a month now but still fairly regularly get leaks from the leg holes. Particularly at work. Not massive leaks but enough to be a pain. I was wandering if plastic pants over the top might help with this? I have been looking at some but have never used them before. 

One thing I've found is proper sizing and application of the diaper goes a long way to successfully containing everything properly. Use a diaper that has standing leg guards.  Make sure said guards are up, both when preparing the diaper to wear and after it has been put on.  Run your fingers along the inside of the legs from the back leg guards to the front top pull them out.

When putting the diaper on, try to get the legs as tight as you can and still be comfortable. That's where I always made my mistake, loose leg holes.

Also a lot of my early daytime leaked weren't from the legs but rather the top front.  If your a male, try to position yourself down into the crotch of the diaper rather than up toward your belly button. This will prevent waistband overflow of you have a surge.

12 minutes ago, DL-Boy said:

One thing I've found is proper sizing and application of the diaper goes a long way to successfully containing everything properly. Use a diaper that has standing leg guards.  Make sure said guards are up, both when preparing the diaper to wear and after it has been put on.  Run your fingers along the inside of the legs from the back leg guards to the front top pull them out.

When putting the diaper on, try to get the legs as tight as you can and still be comfortable. That's where I always made my mistake, loose leg holes.

Also a lot of my early daytime leaked weren't from the legs but rather the top front.  If your a male, try to position yourself down into the crotch of the diaper rather than up toward your belly button. This will prevent waistband overflow of you have a surge.

Thank you. I do pay attention to the leg guards but I think loose leg holes may be an issue here too. I will bare that in mind in future. 

I'm not a male so I don't get much choice in positioning lol. 

At first I didn't have too many issues with leaks but I was more conscious of where and when I used the diaper. That has changed over time so I guess I'm learning limits of different diapers and what ones might work better at work. 

Thank you for your advice. 

45 minutes ago, fillemup said:

I always wear a Gary Active Wear diaper cover over my diaper just in case I have a leak from my diaper. They work pretty well for me.

Thank you. I might give it a go. I have nothing to loose. Does it give some extra security? I sometimes have issues with the tabs coming loose but I'm still working through different brands to figure out what works best. 

• Like 1

All great advice on here.  I always wear plastic pant with both cloth and disposable diapers.  While they will do nothing for all all out flood if there is nothing to absorb, they do tend to catch the smaller leaks.  

7 minutes ago, RVDL said:

All great advice on here.  I always wear plastic pant with both cloth and disposable diapers.  While they will do nothing for all all out flood if there is nothing to absorb, they do tend to catch the smaller leaks.  

Thank you. It seems that the days of flooding are past. It has reduced to smaller trickles more regularly now. The occasional flooding comes in the morning or if I have consciously held it for a period of time but I barely give my diapers a second thought now. The leaks do tend to just be small patches so maybe with pulling the leg holes tighter and the addition of a pair of plastic pants I can solve it. 

Thank you 

38 minutes ago, Ames said:

Thank you. I might give it a go. I have nothing to loose. Does it give some extra security? I sometimes have issues with the tabs coming loose but I'm still working through different brands to figure out what works best. 

I normally wear regular underwear over my diaper when I leave home just to keep the diaper from sagging. It also keeps the tapes from popping loose. I wear the diaper cover over both to keep any leaks contained. The combination works very well for me.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, fillemup said:

I normally wear regular underwear over my diaper when I leave home just to keep the diaper from sagging. I wear the diaper cover over both to keep any leaks contained. The combination works very well for me.

I guess some more time experimenting is the key to see what works best for me. Do you find a diaper cover tougher to conceal? 

7 minutes ago, Ames said:

I guess some more time experimenting is the key to see what works best for me. Do you find a diaper cover tougher to conceal? 

I wear a size larger jeans so they are a little baggy and it easily conceals my diaper. My doctor knows I am bladder and bowel incontinent and has commented on how well I conceal my diaper.

They do help with leaks. A terry lined plastic panty is even better. Also, make sure you aren't letting your diaper get too wet. They can only hold so much before leaks happen.

8 minutes ago, fillemup said:

I wear a size larger jeans so they are a little baggy and it easily conceals my diaper. My doctor knows I am bladder and bowel incontinent and has commented on how well I conceal my diaper.

I would have thought that it's a bit noisier with plastic pants? I have found that people don't notice my diaper or just plain don't care. Is that the same? 

7 minutes ago, Pampertimmy said:

They do help with leaks. A terry lined plastic panty is even better. Also, make sure you aren't letting your diaper get too wet. They can only hold so much before leaks happen.

Thank you, 

The thing is, when I change after a small leak there is still plenty of dry padding. I think loose leg holes might be the culprit. 

16 minutes ago, Ames said:

I would have thought that it's a bit noisier with plastic pants? I have found that people don't notice my diaper or just plain don't care. Is that the same? 

The Gary Active Wear diaper cover is made of waterproof breathable cloth and the diapers I wear are cloth backed Seni diapers. There is no plastic crinkling noises at all. It is a really good combination for me. I wear diapers around the clock for the last 20 months.

10 minutes ago, fillemup said:

The Gary Active Wear diaper cover is made of waterproof breathable cloth and the diapers I wear are cloth backed Seni diapers. There is no plastic crinkling noises at all. It is a really good combination for me. I wear diapers around the clock for the last 20 months.

I'm gunna have a look around and see what options I have. I love how a full, wet diaper feels so I imagine a cover would only make that feel better ☺️

• Like 1

One thing you can do is to put a cloth diaper over your disposable then a pair of larger plastic pants that will allow you to wet more and longer and stay diapered much longer too without any leaks.

2 hours ago, fillemup said:

I do like cloth backed plastic diapers for noise discretion. I'm going to have to try the gary active wear diaper cover, that sounds like an excellent combination. 

I wear plastic pants over ( usually a Betterdry) always in public and has saved me and prolonged my diaper countless times. They absolutely help protect against leaks. You still still leak but good plastic pants are great!   

2 hours ago, babyalan said:

One thing you can do is to put a cloth diaper over your disposable then a pair of larger plastic pants that will allow you to wet more and longer and stay diapered much longer too without any leaks.

This seems like a good idea but I'm not a big fan of cloth diapers. It might be something I come back to if I don't manage to solve it though x

12 minutes ago, carsfan said:

I wear plastic pants over ( usually a Betterdry) always in public and has saved me and prolonged my diaper countless times. They absolutely help protect against leaks. You still still leak but good plastic pants are great!   

Thank you. I might invest in some and see what happens. Do you get many issues with chafing from them? 

1 hour ago, Ames said:
1 hour ago, Ames said:

Thank you. I might invest in some and see what happens. Do you get many issues with chafing from them? 

I don't personally. It might depend why you wear diapers though. I'm not inconcon so I can decide when I wear but  mostly wear and use as If I was and change accordingly.       

9 minutes ago, carsfan said:

I don't personally. It might depend why you wear diapers though. I'm not inconcon so I can decide when I wear but  mostly wear and use as If I was and change accordingly.  

I'm not incontinent either. I just figured that plastic pants might be a bit stiffer and therefor a bit harsher on the skin. 

The short answer is Yes!  There are different things that cause a diaper to leak.  Flooding, over saturation, poor fit, cheap diaper, sleeping on your side, whatever.  If you over saturate any diaper it will leak, and depending how much is leaking and overflowing in that situation, plastic pants may not help.  I've actually had instances where my diaper was leaking so much when out Christmas shopping that when I finally was able to change in a restroom, there were actual large puddles in the bottom of my plastic pants, but my jeans were dry!  For average leaks out the legs and wicking of wetness to the outer cloth backing on your disposable, plastic pants do add that extra barrier layer between your diaper and clothing.  You could think of it like double bagging heavy grocery items like 2 liter bottles of soda in case the first bag breaks.

@Ames

I have been incontinent on and off all throughout my life.  Having a Disability, I have had to deal with the pitfalls of this, and my main problem is that I don't get much sleep at night, so last June, I decided to go with Diapers, as bouts of incontinence and bathroom visits were making sleeping harder, as I could only get a few (~3 hours) a night sleep -

I wear Disposables:  My main diaper is a Northshore Megamax, and I put a Garywear Plastic Pants over the top:  They conceal the diaper well, in addition to making it so that you keep the mess inside the diaper and the cover.  I also use a pad or two on my bed/chair, so I don't leak, but sometimes, that will happen.  The Nothshores I use allow me to wet 5-6 times, and it lasts the night, and they do hold a lot, but you have to be careful, because they can leak if you are a side sleeper sometimes.

Plastic Pants can be stiff, and in most cases that is what you need, because you don't want the diaper to be moving around when you are moving around.  The best setup is tight enough to contain the diaper, at the legs and the plastic pants allow for the diaper to stay PUT, as well as for the diaper to stay hidden.  You don't want to have them so tight that they show marks on the skin, so go a size bigger than the diaper size you use.  Even if you wear the Plastic Pants, you STILL can get red marks.if you wear them for a while.

Yes, they DO help!

Take Care, and feel free to message me anytime :)

Brian

24 minutes ago, baker7 said:

@Ames

I have been incontinent on and off all throughout my life.  Having a Disability, I have had to deal with the pitfalls of this, and my main problem is that I don't get much sleep at night, so last June, I decided to go with Diapers, as bouts of incontinence and bathroom visits were making sleeping harder, as I could only get a few (~3 hours) a night sleep -

I wear Disposables:  My main diaper is a Northshore Megamax, and I put a Garywear Plastic Pants over the top:  They conceal the diaper well, in addition to making it so that you keep the mess inside the diaper and the cover.  I also use a pad or two on my bed/chair, so I don't leak, but sometimes, that will happen.  The Nothshores I use allow me to wet 5-6 times, and it lasts the night, and they do hold a lot, but you have to be careful, because they can leak if you are a side sleeper sometimes.

Plastic Pants can be stiff, and in most cases that is what you need, because you don't want the diaper to be moving around when you are moving around.  The best setup is tight enough to contain the diaper, at the legs and the plastic pants allow for the diaper to stay PUT, as well as for the diaper to stay hidden.  You don't want to have them so tight that they show marks on the skin, so go a size bigger than the diaper size you use.  Even if you wear the Plastic Pants, you STILL can get red marks.if you wear them for a while.

Yes, they DO help!

Take Care, and feel free to message me anytime :)

Brian

This was really helpful advice thank you. I keep seeing northshore mega max mentioned on here but I'm not sure if they are available in the UK. I will have a look and see. I have a fairly physical job that doesn't always allow for changing so I really need to minimise leaks. I'm going to try some plastic pants and see if it helps at all. Besides work, I haven't had too much difficulty in changing etc. 

36 minutes ago, rusty pins said:

The short answer is Yes!  There are different things that cause a diaper to leak.  Flooding, over saturation, poor fit, cheap diaper, sleeping on your side, whatever.  If you over saturate any diaper it will leak, and depending how much is leaking and overflowing in that situation, plastic pants may not help.  I've actually had instances where my diaper was leaking so much when out Christmas shopping that when I finally was able to change in a restroom, there were actual large puddles in the bottom of my plastic pants, but my jeans were dry!  For average leaks out the legs and wicking of wetness to the outer cloth backing on your disposable, plastic pants do add that extra barrier layer between your diaper and clothing.  You could think of it like double bagging heavy grocery items like 2 liter bottles of soda in case the first bag breaks.

I think the added security might be helpful. In an ideal world, I would love to be able to work the entire 9 hour shift without needing to change but I know that's unlikely to happen. I work a fairly physical job and there isn't much opportunity to change so I want to minimise it as best I can and also feel more secure so I'm not constantly bothered that I might have leaked. I guess this comes with time though. Thank you 

59 minutes ago, Ames said:

This was really helpful advice thank you. I keep seeing northshore mega max mentioned on here but I'm not sure if they are available in the UK. I will have a look and see. I have a fairly physical job that doesn't always allow for changing so I really need to minimise leaks. I'm going to try some plastic pants and see if it helps at all. Besides work, I haven't had too much difficulty in changing etc. 

I think the added security might be helpful. In an ideal world, I would love to be able to work the entire 9 hour shift without needing to change but I know that's unlikely to happen. I work a fairly physical job and there isn't much opportunity to change so I want to minimise it as best I can and also feel more secure so I'm not constantly bothered that I might have leaked. I guess this comes with time though. Thank you 

@Ames

A Northshore Megamax Diaper is aa Plastic-Backed Diaper that they make - It is supposed to be the best they make, and they are available online through Amazon - These things are GREAT for long-term use.  I have gone a whole DAY from 5AM to 9 or 10PM in the same diaper, and if you have the right fit, and you have a pear of Garywear Pants over the top, it should be OK, if you put the diaper ON, and then pull up the Pants over the top if the diaper, making sure that the pants cover the leg holes of the diaper.  If you have to work 8-10 hour shifts a Megamax may be the best bet :)

Brian

11 minutes ago, baker7 said:

@Ames

A Northshore Megamax Diaper is aa Plastic-Backed Diaper that they make - It is supposed to be the best they make, and they are available online through Amazon - These things are GREAT for long-term use.  I have gone a whole DAY from 5AM to 9 or 10PM in the same diaper, and if you have the right fit, and you have a pear of Garywear Pants over the top, it should be OK, if you put the diaper ON, and then pull up the Pants over the top if the diaper, making sure that the pants cover the leg holes of the diaper.  If you have to work 8-10 hour shifts a Megamax may be the best bet :)

Brian

I'm definitely going to look these ones up and give them a go. I did order a couple of pairs of plastic pants earlier today so I will see how they go too. Thank you. 

• Like 1

@Ames

You are SO Welcome - These Megamax Diapers are SO AWESOME, compared to the ones that my State Medicaid Agency Authorized for me:  They have this rule apparently that says that they think that "tabbed briefs" should be non plastic backed diapers, and the "Prevail Air" Diapers can't even hold ONE wetting of mine, and so I basically complained to the company and to Medicaid that they have NO IDEA what a "diaper" was.  I grew up in the time where a DIAPER was a WHITE PLASTIC BACKED, TAPED, PURFUMED garment that could deal with most things, but now, they want to say that a "tabbed brief" is a piece of white or blue cotton, and that you cant even GET anything plastic backed, even though the supposed diaper (The Prevails) are what are allowed, and thats ALL they allow:  I had to wait 3 MONTHS for a decision, and then had to DENY the companies that they were shipping samples from in order to show the Doctor what they were sending me - He got a LAUGH, then told me that the MEGAMAXES are ON my Medical Records, and THAT is what I get from NOW ON!

The GaryWear Vinyl Pants are pretty cool too - I have 2 pair, and use them Daily - Best investment I made - I will have to get some more as well :)

Take Care, and Keep in Touch ;)

Brian