LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Do I Smell Like A Wet Diaper?

I'm always asking my wife that question because I'm usually wet. Because I wear gauze diapers it's a real problem. I'm careful about keeping my plastic pants clean because they smell worse than a wet diaper if I don't. It still worries me, because sometimes, mostly in the car, I can catch a wiff of the wet diaper. Diaper Fresh helps mask the smell. I'd change more often if I could find a clean place to do that. Disposables have advantages sometimes. Wish I could wear them!

I try to steer clear of strong coffee as that makes your pee smell strong and yes Nappies always seem to let out the odd "niff" or two, if you get a "whiff" then it is fairly certain that others can also smell it ! :badmood:

The best prevention of nasty "niffs" seems to me to be a pair of nicely fitting plastic pants covered with some net pants to keep the whole Nappy tight over your bottom and prevent air from entering the Nappy area, it is this air that when expelled makes the "niff".

Another thing I used to do when I wore Cloth Nappies was to final rinse them in a strong "Antiseptic" such as Dettol as this then carried the nice smell for a long time-the only negative thing is that you smell of Dettol everywhere you go and it might raise a few eyebrows. :roflmao:

"BE HAPPY IN YOUR NAPPY" :groupwave:

If it is wet, it needs to be changed. Depending on your diet, some foods and beverages make urine odor stronger.

Be nice to your skin. Change wet diapers quickly.

I'm always asking my wife that question because I'm usually wet. Because I wear gauze diapers it's a real problem. I'm careful about keeping my plastic pants clean because they smell worse than a wet diaper if I don't. It still worries me, because sometimes, mostly in the car, I can catch a wiff of the wet diaper. Diaper Fresh helps mask the smell. I'd change more often if I could find a clean place to do that. Disposables have advantages sometimes. Wish I could wear them!
  • 2 months later...

Wet diapers generally do not smell to be detectable unless you go many, many hours without changing.

Always use some wipes if possible, cream and powder/

It is imagination./ I know cause I weat 24/7 and have for years.

Messed diapers are a different story and probab ly should be changed when you are out

as soon as reasonably possible.

My experience with wet diapers on me and other around me indicates you can smell urine if you are within arms reach, even when it's fresh and after an hour, it is pretty clear to anyone within about 6' / 2m. Adding a handful of dried cranberries to your daily diet really helps reduce the odor as does drinking lots of water. Reducing air circulation through the diaper makes it ferment quicker but reduces how much odor escapes, plastic pants are good for that. To reduce odor from bowels, there is clorophyl from the health food places but i use greens+ as a vegi replacement and it is really good at killing odor. Cloth diapers can harbour bacteria if they do not get properly washed and rinsed, if you notice that your diapers get amonia smelly really quickly is time to double wash & allow to dry in the sunshine.

sad fact: If you can smell yourself, be sure that all those around you can smell you as well.

My experience with wet diapers on me and other around me indicates you can smell urine if you are within arms reach, even when it's fresh and after an hour, it is pretty clear to anyone within about 6' / 2m. Adding a handful of dried cranberries to your daily diet really helps reduce the odor as does drinking lots of water. Reducing air circulation through the diaper makes it ferment quicker but reduces how much odor escapes, plastic pants are good for that. To reduce odor from bowels, there is clorophyl from the health food places but i use greens+ as a vegi replacement and it is really good at killing odor. Cloth diapers can harbour bacteria if they do not get properly washed and rinsed, if you notice that your diapers get amonia smelly really quickly is time to double wash & allow to dry in the sunshine.

sad fact: If you can smell yourself, be sure that all those around you can smell you as well.

Hey, PPBear:

The sad fact is spot on...the version I heard is "If you can smell yourself, others have been smelling you for days"

could you tell me about greens+??? who makes it, what is it, where do you get it?

Dill_Pickle...

Guest diamondback688

i searched "greens+" in yahoo and found this website: www.greensplus.com ...not sure if it is what he is referring to, but its a company that specializes in vitamins, supplements, etc.

Wet diapers generally do not smell to be detectable unless you go many, many hours without changing.

Always use some wipes if possible, cream and powder/

It is imagination./ I know cause I weat 24/7 and have for years.

Messed diapers are a different story and probab ly should be changed when you are out

as soon as reasonably possible.

Wet nappies do smell, I too have been wearing for years and know it for at fact. I have no sensation in that part of my body, and often am not knowing if I have had an accident, except for the smell. I'm not saying it's an ugly smell like cats pee, or mens public toilets, or such, but it's there and is recognizable. Same way have both friends and family in a number of accounts been able to tell me if it had happened even without myself being aware of it. I believe most pee ple have smelled their own urine when they have made a regular visit to the toilet, it simply is not odourless and therefore it does give of "aroma" when landed in a nappy too. The socalled odourcontroll layers are definately not meant to anything worse than a couple of drops from a sneeze, but again, the need for adding an odur controll layer to incontinence products clearly indicates that something smelly is going on...

I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants 24/7 for urge incontinence. I’ve found that using hot water and adding about ¼ cup of borax to a load of diapers gets them clean. If I’ve been having a problem with odor, I spray my diapers with vinegar before I put them in the dryer. The vinegar dries in the cloth and makes a less hospitable place for bacteria to grow. Less bacteria gives you more time after wetting before it grows and starts smelling. I only wash my diapers about once a week, so I pour a little vinegar on my diapers when I put them in my diaper pail (I don't soak my diapers). I’m rarely attacked by diaper pail smell.

I switched from vinyl to polyurethane plastic pants because they last longer and don’t seem to hold odors. All I usually have to do is rinse them off. If they smell, I hand wash them with Ivory hand soap and hang them to dry over the tub. I use a pants hanger with horizontal rods to hang them upside down by the crotch so they drain easily.

Another thing that helped me a lot was to get rid of my pubic hair. There’s a lot less surface area for bacteria and it’s a lot easier to keep clean. I stared by shaving, but that got to be a hassle, so now I use an eplilator (electric tweezers) once every week or two. It hurt at first, but has been worth it for me. Besides almost completely eliminating odor, I almost never get diaper rash any more. When I do, it’s a lot easier to put on Desitin now too. I don’t know if it helps with odor control, but I use cornstarch baby powder, and it’s a lot nicer to put on with no hair.

I’ve cut back on garlic and onions a bit too, because they can make urine smell stronger. If I had to guess, I’d say that keeping odor down is about 2/3 clean diapers and 1/3 clean skin. Keeping diaper odor down doesn’t have to take a lot of time, effort or money, but it does seem to take constant attention to details.

• 5 weeks later...

I have noticed that plastic pant can smell worse than the diapers. If I can, I immediately rise a wet diaper in cold water and put in the diaper bucket. When I wash them, I use hot water and OxiClean. I run the load though another complete cycle of hot water wash (cold rinse) with no detergent. (Once a week I’ll bleach on this wash.) I then run the load though 2 more times with a cold wash/rinse. Then dry completely in the dryer.

I used to wash the plastic pants by hand but now I put them in the washer on the perm press cycle. I wash them in a hot/warm wash with Oxiclean detergent. I run them through again without detergent with a warm wash. Then I towel them dry and hang them up to let the elastic dry completely for about 12 hours.

This seems to get all the small out of the plastic pants.

But I am very conscious of how I may smell throughout the day, especially in the morning. The odor tends to cling to the body and its hard to get rid of. Even showering twice a day does completely remove it.

I have to disagree with the comment that urine does not smell. I can smell myself after wetting and I believe others can as well. How you keep yourself clean and what you eat plays a big role - garlic, coffee, certain vegetables, vitamins influence odor.

Drinking lots of water, it helps to dilute it.

• 2 months later...

I'm always asking my wife that question because I'm usually wet. Because I wear gauze diapers it's a real problem.

I wear gauze diapers all the time too, and I've had no urine smell problems since I started adding a cup of distilled (white) vinegar to the final rince cycle.

The vinegar also leaves the diapers softer without decreasing their absorbency like Downey does.

HAPPINESS IS WEARING COTTON DIAPERS

As a previous posts have stated, increasing your water intake will decrese the urine concentration and thus decrease the smell, however that is not completely true. Urine doesn't smell itself. Amonnia smells, and it is a by product of bacteria. As a result, 'stale' urine smells. The best way to eliminate urine associated smells is to reduce, or if possible eliminate the bacteria. It doesnt matter how often you change (within reason) if you have bacteria living on your skin / in your diaper, your urine will smell.

The solutions to this problem are...

- One - Washing well after every change. Use a anti-bacterial soap to kill the bacteria. Hair free is the best way to go, as it eliminates the bacteria living in the hair and the hair folicle. Also, barrier creams like petrolum jelly also stops the bacteria on teh skin getting in touch with the urine, thus eliminating the smell. This is only advised after completely scrubbing and cleaning the area to be protected with the barrier cream, otherwise the barrier cream will trap the bacteria in the skin which can cause rashes etc.

-Two- Washing the cloth diapers and rinsing well. Most washing powder is left in the diaper after a wash. This is easily eliminated by a cold rinse cycle. Be careful about washing in hot water. This expands the fibres and allows bacteria to get 'in' the diaper. This also tends to wear out a cloth diaper faster thatn normal. Diapers should be washed in luke-warm water (even the messy ones). Do not wory if you diapers turn grey. This is the natural colour of the cloth. Pure white diapers only last 6-12 months as they are loaded with a bleaching agent. This both reduces the life and increases the bacterial content of the diaper. Wash the diapers in about quater the recomended washing powder. If you wish to eliminate all the bacteria, use a cap-full of vinegar in the first rinse cycle, but rinse well until the vinegar smell is gone.

Hope this helps.