LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

No cable

Also, make sure your ATSC (digital TV) tuner has a signal-quality meter. The main problem is "multipath": this causes "ghost" images with the old non-HD format, but can be instant-death with digital. Newer tuners are supposed to be better at recognizing and compensating for it. With the old non-HD you could see what you were doing while fiddling with the antenna. With digital, it's harder because it either works or breaks up.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the high frequencies used, multipath problems can usually be solved by slightly moving your antenna- an inch movement can take you from getting nothing to full-signal clarity. Always play with antenna direction and location before 'locking' things down where you are getting the best reception of what you want to see. If you're using a portable antenna, note well where that exact spot and direction is so that you can put it back exactly if it gets inadvertently mioved :o

@listeningtotunes

All the " major stations " around here put out a full 1080i feed OTA.

Only the local stations put out a lower quality feed, but they mostly show older shows anyway so it doesn't really matter.

They also are using some of their bandwidth to host other channels, a change that will help small stations survive since three small stations can share one channel position.

TV sellers should really put an antenna on the roof of their store, everytime I see the picture on the Demos showing a cable feed, it doesn't make me want to buy a TV as the picture is worse than what I get now.

Yes, eventually "TV" will be a website on the internet and the thing hanging on your wall or in your entertainment center will be a computer. We're coming pretty close already... another decade may see it fully realized.

OTA TV will never go away, especially with every major ISP starting to have monthly bandwidth caps, there will be massive outrage if people are forced to use their available monthly bandwidth limits for tv streaming, There are people out in rural areas not having access to high speed internets to be able to stream.

There are certain channels that my parents and I watch on our cable with the others not so much for our respective reasons with some shows having ended for one reason or another:

1. CBS: NCIS
  2. Fox- Bones
  3. SyFy- Eureka, Warehouse 13
  4. AMC- The Walking Dead
  5. Spike- Deadliest Warrior

We've pretty much lost interest in NCIS with Bones & The Walking Dead are still going strong; Deadliest Warrior, Eureka and Warehouse 13 have ended their respective broadcastings which is unfortunate though.

OTA TV will never go away, especially with every major ISP starting to have monthly bandwidth caps, there will be massive outrage if people are forced to use their available monthly bandwidth limits for tv streaming, There are people out in rural areas not having access to high speed internets to be able to stream.

The biggest problem in the states is infrastructure. In other countries where the size of the country is the size a Arizona (Italy for example). Or in many cases at most Montana- your not running cabling everywhere.

It costs a ton of money to build out good infrastructure. Hence bandwidth caps. High prices. (Why the states pay 5x as much for 1/3 the speed). And the idea of net neutrality. (The "high speed" lane the ISPs propose is the same one you pay for now and that ALL your data goes through.)

The need for "live tv" no longer exists in a paid sense. As time shifting with cable and sat exists on a "on demand" sense. Where you can choose your network, then show, then stream it after it's been aired (cox cable has been doing this for at least two years)

I think eventually we will need to move to an ala carte network and movie studie method. Rather then a cable and sat package deal (paying $149 for game of thrones?!) and in the form if using peers bandwidth (ala ptp and the way Netflix is moving). With a simplified home theatre PC. Where tv shows, and movies are simply available after a release date. And sports can either been streamed or downloaded, same with other live events.

I think that's the only way for things to keep going ( when cable first came out the appeal wasn't just content but GASP.. No commercials). With the availability of content I think we need to go back to that or 5 second banners 1-2x a show.

My. 02 cents

You don't need a HD tv for OTA. All you need is a digital tuner. It could be in the tv, a separate box, or on a computer card.

If you're close to the transmitters, a cheap $20 antenna will do, check out TVFool website http://www.tvfool.com/

to find out what you could pick up.

For best results use rg6 coaxial cable to connect antenna to TV.

Digitalhome http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81

has very good info about antenna choices for your reception needs.

If you do get a HDTV you will find it's worth it, especially with an antenna, you will receive a full uncompressed signal. Not the compressed crap the cable company sells you. Lower price, better picture, go for it you can't lose. In a hockey game you can seriously count the players chin hairs and see continuous puck motion.

Need help? Just ask in this thread, digital reception is pretty easy, it's all or nothing, no snowy pictures anymore.

Some of those older TVs fitted with digital tuners don't fit my needs, though. I mentioned an HDTV because they can double as computer monitors - I literally wouldn't watch much TV anyway, maybe an hour a day at the most, so why get something that's going to sit idle for 23 hours a day?

Some of those older TVs fitted with digital tuners don't fit my needs, though. I mentioned an HDTV because they can double as computer monitors - I literally wouldn't watch much TV anyway, maybe an hour a day at the most, so why get something that's going to sit idle for 23 hours a day?

That'd be the only thing it'd be worth it for in my case, though. My eyes are getting to the point where literally the only difference between an old SD picture and a modern HD one is that typically the HD one is in widescreen.

If you already have a monitor, just put a TV tuner card into your computer. Hook up an antenna and presto HDTV.

• 2 weeks later...

I switched to netflix and hulu plus. Called to cut off my dish and they dropped my bill from 70/mo down to 11/mo. No contract, and permanently. Still haven't been using it any more though, so I may drop them after all.

I have a 9 foot sat antenna on my roof mainly to catch the ESPN signals from the states and it doesn't cost me a dime,you just need to be a bit of a hacker and understand how the system works to break it.As for land line cables a long time ago to the garbage all signals I get are HD.

I have a 9 foot sat antenna on my roof mainly to catch the ESPAN signals from the states and it doesn't cost me a dime,you just need to be a bit of a hacker and understand how the system works to break it.As for land line cables a long time ago to the garbage all signals I get are HD.

Is that "C" band? Asking becaise of the dish size ;)

I work for a one of the largest cable company's. Yes we offer TV phone high speed internet, if you choose to drop TV and keep internet you are still a customer. Most cable company's break even on the video sales and the profit is in the internet.

I use little antennas at the tv, and a Roku. I get about 20+ stations and with my internet tv, I have no reason to use cable. I do get annoyed that I can't subscribe to individual channels like ESPN without cable.

Yeah, same here. I had blocked all the useless channels in a personalized favorites list and just kept paying. Eventually I realized I was paying close to $15 or $20 per channel I actually watched. That's when I called to drop my cable (via a dish). They offered to cut my bill by 80% so I kept it after all. Might still just drop them any ways now that I use hulu plus and netflix so much I'm hardly ever watching the commercials on cable.