LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Diapers And Taxes

Hey all. I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but could I take diapers off on my taxes? I've had pretty much every test there is to determine why I'm incontinent and have turned up nothing so I'm just trying to figure out if there is any way to ease the strain on my wallet some.

Thanks in advance.

In UK, diapers for medical use are tax-free, but you need the relevant documentation at purchase, OR you can claim back the tax at the end of the financial year.

In Ireland, you can claim back the tax paid at the end of the financial year.

Other countries have their own settings, but in most countries, diapers for medical use (once prescribed by a medical profesional) are tax excempt in some form or another - I suggest that you check your own countries tax laws etc

Medical deductions can be fully written off in certain situations, but diapers are only deductible when you are deemed to be incontinent by medical professionals who OK them as your personal solution to the problem. They do not have to be the best or only solution, just one that they say is acceptable for you ;) This applies to all taxpayer categories in the US and a self-diagnosis does not entitle you to this deduction :crybaby:

Bettypooh

If you use diapers for medical need then it falls into the category of "deductible."

As pointed out, that if you are just trying to put it on the Sched A, there is an AGI threshold that you need to meet (can be combined with other medical deductions) before it actually gets you anything.

However if you have an FSA/HSA account you can use that to pay for these things with your pre-tax dollars out of that account.

A prescription would make you golden if the IRS audits you but it's not strictly required.

• Like 1

So if I can get my doctor to write up something saying tha I require them then there shouldnt be a problem? Sorry if his sounds redundant but I expect to here back from one of my doctors next week and if that's what I need I'm going to ask her for it.

Can you clarify whether or not you have an FSA? If not, do you itemize your deductions already? Because not only do you have to spend more than 7.5% of your gross income on diapers, but you'd have to spend more than the standard deduction ($5,700) if you aren't already itemizing to make a difference.

Not sure what an Fsa is but I probably don't. As far deductions go I've never really had to take any before. I know I probably sound like an idiot but I've never done this before. Also have done some figuring and I spend around 4.5 to 5 percent on diapers year.

An FSA (Flexible Spending Account) is a program through your work, where money is deducted, pre-tax, from your check that you can then use for medical supplies. For your situation, that's pretty much the only way you'll catch a break on taxes buying diapers.

Because like I said, not only can you only deduct spending OVER 7.5% (the first 7.5% is NOT deductible), but if the deduction isn't over $5,700, you're going to take the standard deduction.

So I'm going to flat out say, you cannot deduct diapers from YOUR taxes. If you bought a house and were deducting the mortgage interest, then it would be possible. But if this is the only deduction you were planning, it's just not worth it.

A lot of people that should itemize, however, don't. You should include diapers in your wholistic tally of how much you'll be deducting. If it makes sense, then I would go to getting a doctor's recommendation... or be prepared to make that case should you get audited.

Seriously though, I really question if an IRS auditor is going to demand proof beyond receipts that you are incontinent. I'm not saying it's never happened, I just haven't ever heard of it.

All of your deductions (home mortgage interest, etc...) count to the standard deduction.

All your medical expenses count towards the 7.5% threshold. I never meet that, but my ex-girlfriend had some really serious medical issues for a few year (and lousy insurance). She also hadn't done her taxes in a few years. I filed for the previous and back years and got her some money back.

As pointed out FSA = Flexible Spending Account a benefit some employers provide. You put money into it and you can spend it on medical expenses (medical devices, any unreimbursed doctor bills, even things like prescription eyeglasses). It's sort of a use-or-lose thing, if you don't spend it by the end of the year, it goes away.

A HSA is a some what similar account for people who are enrolled in "high deductible" health plans. It's a similar account you can put a few thousand a year into pretax. The nice thing about it is that you can roll it over from year to year. In addition, if you don't end up using it all by the time you retire, you can roll it over into a general account I believe.

• 6 months later...

All of your deductions (home mortgage interest, etc...) count to the standard deduction.

All your medical expenses count towards the 7.5% threshold. I never meet that, but my ex-girlfriend had some really serious medical issues for a few year (and lousy insurance). She also hadn't done her taxes in a few years. I filed for the previous and back years and got her some money back.

As pointed out FSA = Flexible Spending Account a benefit some employers provide. You put money into it and you can spend it on medical expenses (medical devices, any unreimbursed doctor bills, even things like prescription eyeglasses). It's sort of a use-or-lose thing, if you don't spend it by the end of the year, it goes away.

A HSA is a some what similar account for people who are enrolled in "high deductible" health plans. It's a similar account you can put a few thousand a year into pretax. The nice thing about it is that you can roll it over from year to year. In addition, if you don't end up using it all by the time you retire, you can roll it over into a general account I believe.

It is true that you can roll the funds that were unused from the HSA into an IRA account.