LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Has Anyone Ever Told Their Therapist?

has any one told their therapist about being an ab/dl.

ive been feeling down lately and have debated seeing someone. but i know one of the main reasons is that other than on here im alone with being a dl. so i was wondering if it would be worth seeing some one about it or if it would just be a waste of time and money

I have told two therapists, and had a handful of ab/dl friends who have told theirs. Some therapists find it fascinating, others have had limited experience. It has less to do with the diapers/baby play and more how you use it in your life. If it is escapism, if its a coping mechanism, if its a control thing. it often points to something larger about how you interact with the world and yourself. You have no idea how many people have secret obsessive behaviors.

I have told two therapists, and had a handful of ab/dl friends who have told theirs. Some therapists find it fascinating, others have had limited experience. It has less to do with the diapers/baby play and more how you use it in your life. If it is escapism, if its a coping mechanism, if its a control thing. it often points to something larger about how you interact with the world and yourself. You have no idea how many people have secret obsessive behaviors.

My therapists found it rather interesting, to my relief she wasn't disgusted with me at all (a fear of mine) You're right, it was less about the diapers and baby stuff and more about why I was interested or felt the need for these things. it was nice to touch on those grounds without any judgement. She told me she heard of a alot worse behaviors and thoughts and I had very little worry about.

I told my old therapist that I liked to wore diapers and would sometimes spank myself...she didn't judge me at all..I am looking for a new therapist and want to be able to tell her too..but it was so hard to even talk about it with my last therapist. I'd still encourage you to talk about it...It is very freeing once you get it out and get some support from a therapeutic way. Message me if you would like to talk more :-)

When I was 12, had just reached puberty and reverted to bedwetting, my parents told me they would pay for psych counseling whenever I felt the need. Of course since urinary incontinence was common in my family, I was already aware of ways to deal with bedwetting.

During law school and a few times between then and discovering adult baby play as a coping strategy I spoke to counselors to reduce my frustrations organizing the logistics of my diapers.

Then in 1990, when I wrote my first article for DPF, several shrinks started contacting me. Over the last 21 years I have actually answered questions from several therapists. So there are some who will do research when a client presents who is concerned about ABDL.

I told mine a while ago, and he didn't do much, just nodded and asked a few questions etc. W don't discuss it really, as I find myself kind of hesitant or shy to talk much about it with a "vanilla' person. I know he's a for the junk in my head, and he has been accepting of it, but it's still difficult. I do mention meets and things I do with others that happen in this realm, like I mentioned my being made a Mod here. he looked at it as something positive and that helps my self esteem and how it can be a positive thing for me personally and psychologically, and how it could help me grow etc. I think he just takes it as it is, and hasn't done much research on it or anything...maybe it's not of interest, or he is familiar enough with it that it's not an issue *shrug* I don't worry about it either way, he knows I'm a D/L and he just works with what he has, and puts the pieces together.

This was mentioned along with a sort of offer I got from someone about submitting a demo disk for doing voice over work. I have been over thinking it and worrying excessively and going around in circles with it. He just pointed out that this too was an opportunity for growth and to not worry and do the best I can and look at it as something that I have to offer instead of worrying about what they are looking for :blush: so I'm working on putting a demo script togther, and trying not to freak out (to much :P ) and start the search for a reputable recording studio etc to burn a disk.....ugh.

As for the D/L stuff, we don't touch on it much, unless it is linked (somehow) to something else happening. But much of what all this is tied to is low self esteem and self worth etc. All from having to be around my dad and older brother who both have big (read H*U*G*E) egos and worked to keep me down, due to being threated by any possibility that I could become something more then them...:P stupid I know, but thats how ego maniacs work...they want the lime light and attention and don't want to share...which is why I am the way I am...and yeah, I stil wear diapers....and L*I*K*E it damn it! :P

Yes, I told mine. She wasn't worked up about it. Things that happen in private and don't interfere with your life are not a psychiatric concern.

I thought about it, but decided not to. I talked around it a bit without mentioning diapers. I told my therapist that I felt I had lost a part of who I was (when I lose the desire to wear diapers), and I couldn't tell if that was part of my depression, or a side effect of the medication. Later, I told her that my wife was okay with "it", and that might be why I might not want to wear so often. We never talked about it in depth.

I no longer take antidepressants, and the diaper desire still comes and goes, so I guess that wasn't it...

Disclaimer: I am NOT an expert, feel free to tell me if you disagree.

I agree with this. Being an AB or DL is often tied to something a lot deeper. Escapism, coping, control... I believe it's often also associated with some psychological problems in your childhood. For me it was, for sure. Maybe not for everybody, but I imagine it quite likely IS related if you're running at a shrink right now.

If the psychiatrist knows about the subject, he/she might be able to help you better, knowing this. It might make it easier to understand the core of the issue.

Then again, maybe not. But in the worst case, your shrink knows a little bit more. If he/she isn't understanding and thinks you should stop (and it doesn't affect the rest of your life in a fairly negative way) then get a different shrink. Personally, I'd much rather go to a shrink that is open minded anyway, and it's a good way to test.

There's nothing bad they can do with the information. They HAVE to keep everything you say secret. So... why not?

Well my incontinence developed at the same time as so much worse crap in my life happened and my Mom was a Psychologist so she made sure that i went to some one and i am still seeing them now,because my health issues are a constantly evolving thing, most of you can not imagine the first thing you do in the moring is to check what is paralyzed today ? or is my right leg still paralyzed from yesterday or do we have something elsewhere, not many people can understand what having 7 percent body fat is like?? swimming pool no way- hot shower nope- because i lack the ability to regulate my body temperature 73 degrees with a breeze i am wearing a jacket wrapped in a blanket thats cold to me,but back to the more relevant info, i talked to the therapist about being early thirties and icon and to me it did not seem like a big deal like does this diaper make my ass stick out ,oh wait a minute you can barely see it because of the wheelchair , no the diaper does not even if you could see it , but it was in the and still is in the middle of so much more going on that being icon and having to cath and shaving my pubes and such seems like the easy part of this life. i am sure i gave you all TMI and i'm sorry for that

Your Therapist can only do for you what you let them do. If your wearing is causing you problems, they perhaps they should know about it ;) If it's not a problem you may not need to discuss it but you still can B) This wasn't an issue when I was in therapy and the coping methods I learned for the other stuff worked very well to get me through when my being a DL emerged :blush:

I can make a pretty good guess how my therapist would have handled this- she would have raised an eyebrow slightly, asked a few questions about it such as how often and why, asked if it was bothering me in any way, then went on to dealing with my other problems :P She was the greatest :wub: and the only thing she had problems dealing with was people who deeply hate. Otherwise nothing seemed to shock her as she'd pretty much seen it all by now and she let you know that so you could be comfortable working with her :D

Bettypooh

I told mine in high school and he blamed it on Asperger's. He was critical about it too because he said it was inappropriate and not normal. He also compared it to guns and drugs. He also called it taboo but the last two I saw were open about it and didn't see it as a problem. There will be therapists out there who will find it wrong and not normal and try and fix it.

Guest diaperboykcmo

I told 2 of them no no big deal.

I'm bipolar and it's a coping mechanisim.

They boyh said as long as I'm not hurting myself or anyone else. Nothing wrong with it