LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

Being Evicted...

Ugh what a day, just found out my fiance' and I are getting kicked out of our apartment in 60 days. Our new manager decided that we were no longer eligible to rent and wont renew our lease because we're both in college full time.

Can you believe that??

We always paid the bills on time, never caused any trouble, nor have we had anyone complain about us. Whats weird is that when we renewed our lease in July we told them that we were in school full time, and that I was receiving unemployment benefits as I search for a part time job (i live in a small town in michigan so jobs are really scarce)

Are we getting punished for trying to do better for ourselves?

I just needed to vent because this sucks!

is that even legal? in jersey, unless you stopped paying the bills, it was unlawful for them to pull your lease. it is a breach of contract law. i would suggest looking it up. or get a lawyer. and then sue them for the lawyer fees.

is that even legal? in jersey, unless you stopped paying the bills, it was unlawful for them to pull your lease. it is a breach of contract law. i would suggest looking it up. or get a lawyer. and then sue them for the lawyer fees.
I agree!

I was through something similar many years ago and prevailed. I'm pretty sure our MI landlord/tenant laws have been updated since then to better protect the tenant. Contact the (whatever they call it, lol) Michigan Housing Authority or a lawyer, specializing in landlord/tenant law, ASAP!

It is not a breach of contract law, because the OP said the contract expires, so I do not know if you have a case. Also, if you sue it would be difficult to keep that apartment so the problem persists. Still there might be something for the OP to do. Complain as much as you can. Report them to the Better Business Bureau if you have to. Something usually happens when you complain. I do not see why they would turn down your money unless of course they already have a new suitor for your apartment after your lease is up.

I'd talk to a lawyer quickly. We rented a lot for our trailor years ago. The landlord tried to get us off the lot; by telling us we had to be off by April 1st. Less than 30 days of the post mark & date on the letter. Our lease was from Nov. to Nov. (a yearly lease). We talked to a lawyer he read the lease then asks 3 questions. (1) Had we cut any trees down? answer= NO (2) Had we dug any holes in the lot? answer= NO (3) Were we up to date on our rent? answer=YES For our state & city laws we were OK then he said. Exspecially when he seen in the lease the landlord had worded it "As of Nov. 1st he could tell us to move." . By him doing that we had about 8 months then 30 days from that. BEST THING talk to a lawyer!!!

Housing laws are very specific and need to be looked at closely, either by yourself, or by a professional lawyer. It doesn't matter which state you are from every state has its own housing laws. Unless you were renting month to month, you better get yourself on the phone and off of DD and dialing your Local City Hall, Housing & Zoning to start with, secondly follow that call up to a Legal Aid or Lawyer. Find anything and everything wrong with the property, inside and out, build your case. Not only can you ultimately sue the PO (Property Owner) for not only the legal fees, but you can also get punitive damages as well. Though if you do decide to sue the PO, also be aware that he or she can not harass you over any legal litigation though most folks in a small town don't adhere to the legal restraints provided in situations such as this. Hope everything works out for you... but get busy and get off of DD and pay attention to what is important right now, and that's keeping a roof over you and your better half's head\s. Huggies and Luvs... you will be in our prayers tonight, wish you all the best with this.

BabyK and MommyM

Now people, read what the OP said.

Our new manager decided that we were no longer eligible to rent and wont renew our lease because we're both in college full time.

If renewal time is here and you don't meet the income requirements the property manager can give you the boot and there isn't a lot you can do about it. It sucks, but that's how things have become over the past 10 years. Most every rental property now has strict income requirements. They want proof from an employer that you can pay the bills before they let you stay there.

My wife & I ran into a similar situation when my job transferred me to a new state. We initially had a hard time finding a place to rent because she was unemployed and all the places we checked required monthly income for the unit to be 3x what the rent amount was... which is pretty hard to do with just one income. I finally ended up paying a full month's rent as a deposit along with the first month's rent before a place would let us move in.

To the OP... you can try to fight it, but if your lease is up the landlord is not required by law to allow you to renew. Better just find a new place to live.

If you are both in college check with the school, some schools have special married student housing that they can set you up in. If won't be great, but it's better than nothing.

Perhaps you will find a better place and this will turn out to be a good thing. If he doesn't want you there then you probably don't want to be there either. At one point in my life I was homeless with a wife and two kids. Some of my friends stepped in and let me live in a vacant house for a few months.

-DR

you don't have to lay down for a landlord. your local library has lots of books on how to fight your landlord. All kinds of laws that apply to both sides. If you lose, it's because you didn't stand up for yourself. Check with your states attorney, etc. Document every word, every action, date, time, etc.

Build a case, and present it in court. Find out if the landlord can kick you out if you don't have a place to move to, etc.

Just don't lay down for them.

Ok. I live in Michigan and do not know the laws, however I do know that sympathy now tends to run towards a person as opposed to a business "giving that person the business", so to speak. Yes, you can contact lawyers, better business, etc., but nothing works as well as contacting the press about the situation! Especially if it's a TV news station! Play up the fact that you have lived there with no problems and have always paid your rent in full on time. Explain how in this economy you are both going to school full time to better your options of finding work in these trying times. Isn't that what everyone, especially political officials have been saying for the past year? Increas your job skills so you have a better chance of finding work? Now you are being punnished and discriminated by losing your apartment for no other reason than the fact that you are going to school! That is the kind of human intrest story that TV and newspapers are looking for! That will get people behind you faster than anything else you can do, and make that new landloard look worse than Osama bin Laden in the process! Anyone who sees it on TV will avoid renting apartments from that landlord and I'm sure it will hurt his business!

This sounds like a Section 8 housing rule.

The point of S8 is for low income persons.

In the past they had problems with students abusing the system.

Now there are a couple loopholes.

If you are unemployed, sometimes you can get a waiver if the state is helping you.

Also if you are disabled, see your vocational rehab counselor.

It's been awhile for me but I think 12 or less credits/semester is considered a "part time student".

Good Luck!

i use to run into things like this.

Between living in rentals in small towns where they had large construction projects start and all the local landlords wanting people out so they could double the normal rent for the construction workers.

To being one of the construction worker and finding all the rentals in a town become a one year lease only when the big construction job was only 6 months.(they owner would then sue you for the remaining rent when you had to leave for the next job plus he already had new renter moved in)

I finely got a motor-home to live in and could rent a space or sometimes even live in the parking lot of the construction site.(or sometimes i was even a fake night watchman on the site)

It was also handy when i was unemployed as i could find many cheap places to park like campgrounds.

Going through that AS WE SPEAK! I have another week till I have to be in my new place. My landlord sold the property, and the new owner wants everyone out. Peachy, huh.

*sigh* I know the frustrating BS that can come with all of this. Just keep your chin up. That's one of the hardest parts, but on the bright side you won't have to deal with a shitty landlord anymore.

*hugz*

Good luck.

"My landlord sold the property, and the new owner wants everyone out. Peachy, huh."

Been there done that. I had a super-cheap lot at a trailer park which got sold to a new owner. By law all the trailers were too old to move. I didn't gripe when the rent was almost doubled because it was still cheap, but about a year later the new owner closed the place with under a 30 day notice given- this after promising all of us at least 90 days warning of any forthcoming changes. Some of my old neighbors ended up moving in with kinfolk because they couldn't do anything else.

FWIW I did get even- I pointed out to the new owner that a very, very rare plant which is federally protected was growing down by the creek in back, which meant that half of the property couldn't ever be developed and that the moment I saw it sold I'd inform the new owner who would then want (and get) the sale annulled and all their money back. I also informed the local University biology department of the same and they are monitoring the plants on the property so if anything happens to them, the property owner will be in deep trouble. TAKE THAT, SUCKER!

I can be a real b!tch when you piss me off :thumbsup:

Bettypooh