LL Medico Diapers and More Bambino Diapers - ABDL Diaper Store

You Really Going To Serve My Food After Doing That?!?

So I just stopped for lunch at the local toasted sub sandwich variety outlet to grab my favorite prime rib sandwich deal. I placed my order, then went over to pay the lady. As I was swiping my card, I watched the teenage boy who was to handle my food when it came out of the oven, as he walked to the sink, reached in an took an old soaking rag, carried it over to the food prep counter dripping wet, wipe of a small spot, and carry it back to the sink. This left a noticable wet spot on the counter, and not just water steaks, but puddles. His gloves he was wearing were also noticably soaked and looked unsightly for handling food. Seeing that my sandwich was just about ready, he took a wax paper wrap out and placed it over the wet spot.

"You aren't going to handle my food with those gloves, are you?" I asked. His response was something to the effect of, "yeah, I was. Why?"

I pointed out that he had just handled a soaking wet rag from the bottom of the sink, and his gloves were still soaked. The lady taking my payment stepped in, "We don't mind chaning gloves for you, that is not a problem," as if to say "if it makes you happy."

I said, "he also left a whole bunch of water on the counter where he is to place my food."

"I can wipe that for you," same tone, if it makes me happy. "But just so you know that cloth came from a container of food safe sanitizer, so there is nothing to worry about."

"Look," I said, "I've worked in the food service industry before. You just don't serve food off a wet counter with soaking gloves, even if it is food safe sanitizer. The customer will always assume the worst, and in this case, I have."

She kept trying to reassure me, but I wasn't buying any of that. I don't care if it is really the Vatican's holy water, I don't know where it came from and it disgusts me to think that it might be all over my food. I am going to call the manager tuesday morning and complain. Maybe even the health inspector.

• Like 1

wow, I worked for bob evens for a year and they have gone over food safety and regulations like crazy! What you described was absolutely gross! I mean, who in there right mind thinks that even if it is food safe sanitizer, you still do not want sanitizer all over your food! That is absolutely un acceptable! I mean, not only that but the bitch even argued with you...the customer? what the hell!? I get disgusted when people who are overly sweaty and handle my food. I was in a Mexican restaurant called Qdoba (a lot like chipotle if you know that) and the lady who was making my burrito was sweating like a pig and she was wiping sweat on her arm near her gloves because it was dripping into my food and then handled the burrito with the glove that she had just wiped sweat off her forehead with! I just walked out, I did not even complain! it's not Mexican restaurants you got to worry about though, it is those Chinese buffets! You seriously do not want to know what goes on behind those doors! lol

wow, I worked for bob evens for a year and they have gone over food safety and regulations like crazy! What you described was absolutely gross! I mean, who in there right mind thinks that even if it is food safe sanitizer, you still do not want sanitizer all over your food! That is absolutely un acceptable! I mean, not only that but the bitch even argued with you...the customer? what the hell!? I get disgusted when people who are overly sweaty and handle my food. I was in a Mexican restaurant called Qdoba (a lot like chipotle if you know that) and the lady who was making my burrito was sweating like a pig and she was wiping sweat on her arm near her gloves because it was dripping into my food and then handled the burrito with the glove that she had just wiped sweat off her forehead with! I just walked out, I did not even complain! it's not Mexican restaurants you got to worry about though, it is those Chinese buffets! You seriously do not want to know what goes on behind those doors! lol

Sweat is what gives the food the flaver, and I used to deliver groceries to Buffets, and Let me tell you, not even if they paid me a million dollars. about 89 percent have a big drum full of MSG! Then roaches everywhere :crybaby: Enjoy ;D LOL

I think the health inspector grade should be posted on the front window of every restaurant. This kind of handling of food is outrageous and should be reported to the health department or the Canadian equivalent. It is very unlikely the manager would do anything.

really... how many of you wash your hands at home every time yo use the bathroom then cook your own food, or grab a cookie, or a piece of fruit... can you garuntee me that your mother, father, boyfriend girlfriend, wife, husband washes their hands every time they prepare food for you?

no matter where you go or what you eat, its going to be contaminated, the food was contaminated long before it got to the restaurant... yes i agree its gross to see what the OP posted about, and I would have done the same thing..... but to freak out about every restaurant out there just gets a little creepy... i mean think of the supermarket with all that produce just out there for people to breath on and sneeze on... and you think just rinsing it with water gets those germs off???? i don't think so!!!!

• Like 1

really... how many of you wash your hands at home every time yo use the bathroom then cook your own food, or grab a cookie, or a piece of fruit... can you garuntee me that your mother, father, boyfriend girlfriend, wife, husband washes their hands every time they prepare food for you?

no matter where you go or what you eat, its going to be contaminated, the food was contaminated long before it got to the restaurant... yes i agree its gross to see what the OP posted about, and I would have done the same thing..... but to freak out about every restaurant out there just gets a little creepy... i mean think of the supermarket with all that produce just out there for people to breath on and sneeze on... and you think just rinsing it with water gets those germs off???? i don't think so!!!!

Sarah, contaminating food with germs from your hand is one thing, contaminating it with an unknown substance is another thing. Stagnant water is very bad for food handling, which is why rags must be dried out between uses, not pre-soaked. This is why sponges are really bad too. If they are not following the rules with the rag, then perhaps they are not following the other rules. Maybe it was used to clean the floors or worse used to clean counters where raw meat was present.

I work in a restaurant also, and this is just another illustration of some ignorant, lazy, ill trained buffoon who couldn't give a rats ass about what he /she does. :badmood: I work around these types and I can't tell you H*O*W irritating it is. I have been doing this for a long time, and I live by the rule of "Clean as you go" which is real simple......as long as you are awake and pull your head out of your azz :P

I am constantly cleaning as is the manager, wiping up spills, and messes others leave behind, UGH! I just pisses me off.

We have those sanitizer buckets also full of the 'food safe sanitizer" but you have to wring out the towel.....which again isn't difficult, but does require you to T*H*I*N*K

Anyways, I detest lazy brain dead people, they seem to have the IQ of a rock and attention span of (maybe) a puppy....if they are lucky :P

They need to put themselves in the customers shoes to see the other side of the coin.....this was unacceptable and you were right to call them on it :thumbsup:

The thing I wonder about is, why do we have all this "sanitizer" stuff around all the sudden??? since when did Americans become such "germ-o-phobes" and panzies??

Restaurants and food service have been around for hundreds of years...heck we didn't have "purell" or any of this other stuff around 20 or so years ago,...and we are still here. I can't count how many different eateries I have been in...I haven't contracted any disease or anything, though I did get food poisoning once at a taco bell....probably had bad guacamole or something...I was S*I*C*K

Since when though did we become so fearful of germs that have always been around?? Who's behind all this "clean freak and paranoia?? :huh:

Geez! :P

One question I would ask is, how long was that sanitizer sitting there. Had it been there for more 4 hours? It's just like leaving a piece of meat out for four hours, it will become contaminated. Also was the ph tested in the water to see if it was actually mixed properly. I also question the use of a towel that awas left sitting in the water, using single use paper towels is much more sanitary. And I know it's not the GREEN way of doing things.

I wouldn't let it discourage you too much though. As disgusting as it may have been, if you ever intend to eat at any restaurant you better get use to the idea that something unsanitary has been done with your food. Most likely it wasn't intentional but if you've ever worked in a restaurant then you know just how busy and hectic it can get. I too am a "clean as you go" person but mistakes can happen and you take a risk everytime you eat something anyways.

I do agree with Square_duck. People these days are too afraid of germs. I'm pretty sure exposure to them builds up our immune systems. You do have a valid point though, what he did was disgusting and I would have done the same thing. Not really because of the germs but more for the fact that I wouldn't want to eat a soggy sandwich.

On a similar note, I once went to Popeyes and had the "MANAGER!" use a rag out of a mop bucket to clean up a spill and then proceed to make my food without washing his hands or putting on gloves. Make the call, they'll probably offer you some free coupons and the guy will be reprimanded. But I wouldn't expect much more than that.

Guest lilme

You don't want to know what goes on in most kitchens. I once had to take a food saftey course for a resturant I was managing for, and we had to watch some undercover video that 60 minutes did years ago.

I got to see some chick with a glove on stick her hand down her pants and stratch her crotch then use the same gloved hand to stock a salad bar.

I watched another young guy at a pizza place beat a rat with a rolling pin, then used the rolling pin to roll out the dough.

I saw another fellow who was making someone's burger at a fast food joint drop the whole thing on their nasty ass floor covered in garbage and then pick it up, put it back together, and continued to make the sandwhich.

This wasn't part of the training video, but I remember seeing an undercover piece once about a guy who was busted as a bartender because he was using his penis to stir the drinks (no joke).

So yea, you really don't want to know what goes on in those places. I generally don't eat out. There's a few places I'll go to as long as I can see the people who make my food.

~lilme

Well Square_Duck, the funny thing about hand-sanitizer is it doesn't actually work. According to the FDA, the claims made by the manufacturers of hand-sanitizers are false. Those products are not really necessary anyway. I also think using hand-sanitizer too often can increase your chances of infection by removing the good germs as well (yes some germs protect our immune systems).

Basically, soap and water has been the norm and it still is.

i worked in a restraunt when i was about 15 (looooong time ago !lol) .But what went on there as far as cleanliness was not funny !.I was a dish washer and tried to to do the best i could but ! when it got busy all the clean restrictions went out the door !.Even the manager would say just rinse off the dish and get it to the waitress .This happened many times ! 2 thumbs down !!

I think the health inspector grade should be posted on the front window of every restaurant

We have that in norway and it mostly works

I dont think they are forced to put it up, but its a nice thing atleast, special if u get a smile (good)

None get a :( cause they rather close the place until they can get a good score

This wasn't part of the training video, but I remember seeing an undercover piece once about a guy who was busted as a bartender because he was using his penis to stir the drinks (no joke).

~lilme

:roflmao: I guess this was his take on making a 'cock'tail.....LOL

Oh boy that was bad Duck. *groan* On the other hand, I've happened to use an ethanol (diluted of course) down there by accident and OMG does it hurt. I wouldn't imagine it was a very booze heavy drink he was 'mixing.' :P

I'm reminded of the commercial where the guy says "I asked for no mayo" and the waitress takes the top off his sandwich and scrapes it on the table, then puts the sandwich back together. Eww

Guest lilme

:roflmao: I guess this was his take on making a 'cock'tail.....LOL

:roflmao: Normally I would have thought of something like that myself cuz that's my sense of humor... that one never occured to me. Good one :thumbsup:

The thing I wonder about is, why do we have all this "sanitizer" stuff around all the sudden??? since when did Americans become such "germ-o-phobes" and panzies??

I don't think you need to look any further than the fear-mongering news media, constantly scaring people with stories about SARS, MRSA, bird flu, swine flu, or whatever the latest outbreak du jour is. They've figured out that fear sells, so every news outlet is trying to scream louder than the next about how scared we should be about everything, including diseases. And don't get me started about non-disease health scares like BPA, lead paint on toys, cadmium in jewelry, thiomersal in vaccines, radiation from cell phones, or fluoridation in the water impurifying our precious bodily fluids. They've got people who don't know bacteria from viruses running around trying to sanitize themselves and their children before the invisible bugs come to kill us all.

I'm reminded of the commercial where the guy says "I asked for no mayo" and the waitress takes the top off his sandwich and scrapes it on the table, then puts the sandwich back together.

Which is exactly why you never send anything back at a restaurant.

The movie "Waiting" was a bit over the top but it came pretty close on a few things. I know from experience.